E90Post

PYSPEED

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Motorola E815 and Bluetooth

10-25-2005, 11:21 AM   #23
poldim
Vroom Vrrooooom

Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i Sedan  [0.00]
2003 GSX-R 600  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to poldim
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6258

SG | Beige Dakota | Poplar || iDrive w/MP3 | PP | SP | CWP | PDC | Comfort | Shades || 40% Tint
| Rogue Engineering 12MM Spacers | Black Line Tail Lights
poldim is offline   Russian Federation
      11-18-2005, 03:00 PM   #24
RINALDS
Private First Class

Drives: 325 xi

I'm having the same problem. The sales guy paired them this morning when I first got the car and it worked until I shut the car off. Now I can't get them to pair up. My phone's bluetooth is set ON. When I click on phone in the car it says looking for paired devices (no matter how long I wait it doesn't seem to find it) and if I hit BT I can see "RINALDS phone" if I wanted to delete it but the phonebook won't come up and I can't make calls through it.

Is there something I may be missing that needs to be done for it to automatically pair up?

Edit: I do not have iDrive
      11-19-2005, 12:16 PM   #25
theclay
Lieutenant

Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RINALDS
I'm having the same problem. The sales guy paired them this morning when I first got the car and it worked until I shut the car off. Now I can't get them to pair up. My phone's bluetooth is set ON. When I click on phone in the car it says looking for paired devices (no matter how long I wait it doesn't seem to find it) and if I hit BT I can see "RINALDS phone" if I wanted to delete it but the phonebook won't come up and I can't make calls through it.

Is there something I may be missing that needs to be done for it to automatically pair up?

Edit: I do not have iDrive
I have the E815 and no iDrive as well. Try deleting your car in the phone's paired devices menu and the phone from your car's menu. Now, start over.

I'm not kidding, I had to do this once in the five months that I've had the car.
      11-19-2005, 04:57 PM   #26
RINALDS
Private First Class

I tried resetting them both. For some reason my phone recognizes the car but then if I click on the connection it will say searching and then show BMW####### and then "disconnected". I'm thinking it is a phone setting but I am not sure what the problem is. I called my dealer and he couldn't help me over the phone.

If anyone has the E815 could you post how you have the settings set please.
      11-20-2005, 12:27 PM   #27
Gavinw

Drives: '06 330i

1. Make sure you're bluetooth is set to on, and not merely the 60 second discovery period.
2. Make sure under bluetooth link>device history>BMW######>Access, it says automatic.
3. If you're midcall on the speakerphone, and want to move the call to your handset, hit the menu button on the e815 (top middle) and select "switch audio". This way, once you are done with the call, the phone switches back to speaker mode.
      11-20-2005, 09:21 PM   #28
hunt55
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 325i

Rinalds,

I posted this on another thread on Nov. 8.
Purchased a Motorola E815 for use with Verizon. Installed and worked beautifully for one day. Then down hill from there over the past five days. Spotty connections. Went to dealer on day three. It worked for few hours. Mostly would connect after long periods of time when car is off. Never dropped the BT connection I would not reconnect when you turned off the phone or the car. Finally, today it only connected once. Car would read phone and phone would show disconnect on screen after attempting to connect maually.

Talked to Verizon techs for one hour. They have heard of issue with BMWs. They referred me to Motorola. After three attempts over two days, I reached a tech who checked the software number and concluded the phone's bluetooth module had failed or the software needed reloaded or flashing. Sent me to only one autorized Motorola repair shop in the entire Wash. DC area. The next closest shop was in Pennsylvania. The other choice is to send the phone back to Motorola. Spoke to local tech who does not have software for E815 and concurred it is probably a bad BT module. Since the phone is only a few days old, we decided to just ask verizon for a new phone. So, I exchanged the phone (same store probably same batch of phones). Reconnected phone with the car and is again working wonderfully. But, for how long?
      11-20-2005, 10:00 PM   #29
hunt55
Second Lieutenant

Rinalds,

I have the same issue with a non idrive. Phone reads "disconnected" when paring fails. I am on new E815 number 2. First paring lasted 2 (approx Nov. 1) days before failing. My local dealer and I got it to work (Nove 4). Paring lasted 3 days. Took it to dealer (Nov. 11) close to BMW manufacturing complex while traveling in South Car. (Paring worked for the trip but car/phone did not pair the next AM when I took it to the dealer. Dealer reprogrammed car but pairing failed when they returned the car to me. They then replaced the BT unit in the car but had to reprogram the are twice. Worked great,on/off, with no issues for 4 days. Then failed when I left the car for an hour one evening. Car/phone would not pair. Even when turning both on/off several times. Drove car, then returned to car 2 hours later, pairing worked great. Car sat for 2 days and today when I cut on the car, the two paired with no probelm.

Appears to be a problem with my paricular BT software in the car. If it continues I will take it to my dealer.
      11-28-2005, 09:02 AM   #30
RINALDS
Private First Class

Hunt55 - thanks for all the info. I was on vacation and after not using the car for 7 days it connected perfectly this morning on my way to work. I will have to wait and see if it is going to keep on working.
      11-28-2005, 05:19 PM   #31
hunt55
Second Lieutenant

No problem. I think we have the same sofware issue. I have an appointment with my dealer on 12/8. The problem continues but, I think I have narrowed it to the order in which the phone is disconnected from the car.
1)If I cut off the motor and ignition with the start button and remove the phone from the car and make sure it is outside of BT range, it will pair when I reenter and cut start the car/ignition but 2)if I leave the phone in the car and return, it does not pair. 3)If I cut off the car motor with the start button then cut off the ignition outside of the car with comfort accees it will not pair on reentry regardless if phone is removed or in the car.

Pairing is slow somtimes when it works. In all cases when it fails to pair, the car has to sit say overnight or several hours before it will pair up again. I am on travel so my car will sit for several days. So, I will experiment more when I return.
Hunt55
      11-29-2005, 11:46 AM   #32
j28s
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 335i - 6mt - Sedan

I had the same problem. I bought a new E815 (October '05) through Verizon. Sometimes it would sync and I could use Bluetooth on my car...but most of the time I could not. I spoke to the data group with Verizon and they said that "BMW changed their software after the release of the E815 so they cannot guarantee it will work". They told me to do a reset (will not delete numbers, or calendar info off your phone). Still didn't work. 15 days later I took the phone back to Verizon and told them I would continue to use my non-bluetooth Samsung i600 until a new phone that worked came out.
Good luck.
      11-29-2005, 01:02 PM   #33
RINALDS
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt55
The problem continues but, I think I have narrowed it to the order in which the phone is disconnected from the car.
1)If I cut off the motor and ignition with the start button and remove the phone from the car and make sure it is outside of BT range, it will pair when I reenter and cut start the car/ignition but 2)if I leave the phone in the car and return, it does not pair.
This is exactly what is happening with mine (I don't have CA so I don't know about that part). I just left my phone in my car during lunch and now I can't get it to pair back up at all. I wonder how long I will have to wait until it will pair up to start the whole process again. This is so annoying.

I was going to go down to my dealer this morning but I decided not to because it has been working perfectly since I got back from vacation. Damn. I should have gone anyway.

Last edited by RINALDS; 11-29-2005 at 01:28 PM.
      11-29-2005, 05:41 PM   #34
RINALDS
Private First Class

This thing is going to drive me freaking crazy. Still won't pair. Called Verizon, talked for 10 minutes and they referred me to Motorola with whom I talked for 5 minutes and then referred me to BMW. I'm going to drive the car off a cliff. I'm so frustrated.
      11-29-2005, 07:19 PM   #35
hunt55
Second Lieutenant

It does frustrate you. I like my car. I have a service number with Motorola. Motorola knows the phone will not pair properly. They even suggested I buy the V710 which is not available directly from Verizon anymore but IS available from Motorola for $289.00. My repsonse was, they can exchange my E815 for a V710 for free if the V710 will work.

I have been dealing with this now for a month. It is a software issue with BMW. The dealer in South Carolina made it work the longest. If my dealer (Maryland) cannot fix it on Dec 8, I will take it back to my South Carolina dealer when I am in the area again in late Dec. I also know of a person who works at the BMW plant, so I am checking with him. Probably is just a coding issue but we need to put pressure on BMW. I would change from Verizon but I travel throughout the US and Verizon does work very well in remote areas.

When you get it working again [it will pair again after the car sits for awhile with the phone out], try taking the phone out of the car and out of BT range when you leave the car. It should pair when you reenter and cut on the car.

As you know, when it works it is awsome!

Hunt55
      11-30-2005, 08:43 AM   #36
RINALDS
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt55
It does frustrate you. I like my car. I have a service number with Motorola. Motorola knows the phone will not pair properly. They even suggested I buy the V710 which is not available directly from Verizon anymore but IS available from Motorola for $289.00. My repsonse was, they can exchange my E815 for a V710 for free if the V710 will work.

I have been dealing with this now for a month. It is a software issue with BMW. The dealer in South Carolina made it work the longest. If my dealer (Maryland) cannot fix it on Dec 8, I will take it back to my South Carolina dealer when I am in the area again in late Dec. I also know of a person who works at the BMW plant, so I am checking with him. Probably is just a coding issue but we need to put pressure on BMW. I would change from Verizon but I travel throughout the US and Verizon does work very well in remote areas.

When you get it working again [it will pair again after the car sits for awhile with the phone out], try taking the phone out of the car and out of BT range when you leave the car. It should pair when you reenter and cut on the car.

As you know, when it works it is awsome!

Hunt55
Freakin' thing sat overnight and still won't connect. How long does it usually take to "reset" it? and how far do I have to go from the car?

Sometimes I think it is the car and sometimes I think it is the phone. I guess you have narrowed it down to the car. I'm definitely going to have to call the dealer. :mad:
      11-30-2005, 04:53 PM   #37
hunt55
Second Lieutenant

I usually take the phone out of the car, so I would guess at least 15-20 yards. I discovered, it will connect if the phone is a few yards from the car.

The reconnectivity after sitting has worked since the dealer in South Carolina replaced the TCU unit. They mentioned something about the car not connecting after "sleep mode". Maybe we need to have BMW send us an elf to slap the car's BT module when we cut the car on.

Hunt55
      11-30-2005, 09:10 PM   #38
hunt55
Second Lieutenant

Rinalds,
Interesting suggested fix from BMW. I am on travel and cannot try this until Saturday But, I am passing the info. below along.

Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC. We appreciate your inquiry.

Unfortunately, we are unable to determine what the specific issues may be with your phone and Bluetooth system in your vehicle. You may try the following "unofficial" solution for other E815 customers who have described similar issues.

On your E815:
Press Menu
Go to "Settings"
Select "Initial Setup"
Select "Master Preset"
Enter the Serial Code: 000000
Select: OK
Asks: Reset all Phone Settings?
Select: Yes
Phone will turn off for a few seconds and come on again acknowledging a reset.

The phone will not lose any settings or contacts. After these steps have been completed, try the pairing steps again. The phone and vehicle should recognize each other. If this does not work, then all we can suggest is that you take your vehicle to your local BMW center. They are in the best position to review your concerns in person and offer assistance.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: 11/30/2005 12:00:00 AM
To: <CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com>
Subject: Other

ModelYear: 2006
MfgNme: BMW
ModelNme: 325i

Comments: Many E90 owners are experiencing issues with Bluetooth
connectivity between car and E815 motorola phone. See threads
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5696. Like the car but the
repair is beyond the dealer. WE NEED A FIX FROM BMW. Don't respond by
referring me to the dealer unless they have a fix! Bottom line, the phone
does not work w/car as advertised by BMW and Verizon.

Hope this helps!

Hunt55
      12-01-2005, 08:37 AM   #39
RINALDS
Private First Class

Thanks Hunt55. It paired up this morning on my way into work. I don't even bother to check anymore but when I turned the car off I heard my phone beep as if it were disconnecting so I started the car again and sure enough it paired right up. Who knows how long it will work. I'm sure it won't last so when I try that suggestion above I will let you know if it worked for me.
      12-05-2005, 09:02 AM   #40
hunt55
Second Lieutenant

Rinalds,

I was able to try the BMW unofficial fix. It actually improved the disconnnect and reconnect issue when the phone is left in the car. The phone and car appear now to reconnect consistently if you take the phone our of the car . Let's see if this lasts.

As you mentioned in another post, the phone is connecting with other BT devices. I have no problem connecting the phone to a lap top for faxing via BT.

I still plan to take the car into service this Thursday.

Hunt 55
      12-05-2005, 09:30 AM   #41
RINALDS
Private First Class

I haven't tried the unofficial fix yet. It is still working spotty but I should probably do that anyway just to see if it helps at all.

Have you tried using Assist yet? I tried last week and my car wouldn't connect to that either. It must be an issue with the car's software since both the bluetooth and the Assist don't work as they should. Assist worked for me at the dealer when we set up my account (he pressed the SOS button, I just did it from the menu button - I'm not sure if that makes a difference) He said I can just bring it by. Hopefully I will have some time this week to get over there.
      12-05-2005, 07:03 PM   #42
hunt55
Second Lieutenant

Had a problem with assist after the dealer in South Carolina replaced the TCU unit and reprogrammed the car. I discovered on the road that BMW assist could not see my car or locate it. The dealer just did not enable the assist. I hit the enabled button, it took a few moments to connect and it has worked since with no problem.

I check BMW assist it about once every two weeks to make sure all is OK. But, have the dealer check it out with the BT issue.

Hunt 55
      12-06-2005, 01:10 AM   #43
RINALDS
Private First Class

I just reset my phone. I will try the repairing in the morning. However, it did erase some of my settings.
      12-06-2005, 01:35 PM   #44
RINALDS
Private First Class

It wouldn't pair this morning; however, I have been in and out of the car a few times and it has connected all of the other times.

I was in shock when I pressed BMW###### in the handsfree menu and it actually connected without automatically disconnecting immediately after. Hopefully this will keep on working.