E90Post

VIBE Motorsports

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Motorola E815 and Bluetooth

12-06-2005, 06:43 PM   #45
rick13770
Registered

Drives: 2006 325XI

Motorola E815 and 2006 325 bluetooth

Thanks for the earlier postings which confirmed my experience with the seemingly random connection with my E815 Bluetooth and the 325 wasn't an isolated incident. I took my 06 325xi into the dealer today with this thread in print and BMW confirmed they a) knew of the problem and b) opened something called a "PUMA" to investigate and resolve the issue. They advised an ETA for a resolution on their end would be available within a month. We'll see....

While I didn't leave with a resolution, I'm hopeful this at least gets the pressure on them.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2005, 07:11 PM   #46
RINALDS
Private First Class

Drives: 325 xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RINALDS
I was in shock when I pressed BMW###### in the handsfree menu and it actually connected without automatically disconnecting immediately after. Hopefully this will keep on working.
The shock didn't last long. Won't connect since I wrote that.

Well at least I don't have an isolated problem and I'm hopeful that BMW will have a solution soon as they seem to be aware of the problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2005, 10:19 PM   #47
hunt55
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 325i

Rinalds, rick13770,

I reset the phone twice. Yes it does remove some phone settings. Forgot to mention that. My connections are still spotty. It gets spotty when the phone is left in the car. Sometimes connects, sometime does not(so I have to remove the phone from the car and let the car sit when it does not connect). Seems to connect consistently when the phone is continously removed from the car.

I am taking the car in for service Thursday and will keep you posted. Thanks for letting me know about the PUMA.

Hunt55
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2005, 01:33 PM   #48
RINALDS
Private First Class

I've noticed that if my phone hasn't been connecting and then I leave it in the car when I get out it will connect again when I restart the car.

I'm dropping my car off later this afternoon at the dealer. I, too, will post what they have to say tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2005, 07:16 PM   #49
robinli
Enlisted Member

Drives: E90 325xi SP

Hunt55,

How do you "enable" BMW Assist? I checked and they cannot locate me. I do not have iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2005, 07:20 PM   #50
hunt55
Second Lieutenant

In the menu under assist and I believe set up there is a button for enable assist. But, check with the dealer as they have to set up the assist first.

Hunt55
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2005, 07:26 PM   #51
hunt55
Second Lieutenant

Rinalds,

My BMW Center worked on my car all day. There currently is not a fix for the disconnect issue with the E815. BMW is researching the issues. By SA, who is good will call me if and when they have a solution. There was a recall though on software.

Also, interesting, the dealer in South Carolina who worked on my BT issue, also changed the TCU. I noticed I could not see the car's info in the assist profile as when I purchased the car but BMW assist seems to work fine. I asked my center to add the car info. They informed me I have to take the car back to the center that worked on the TCU (Maryland to South Carolina 500plus miles) :mad:

We need to keep the pressure on BMW and Verizon as they still list the E815 as compitable with the 3 series.

Hunt55
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2005, 10:20 AM   #52
RINALDS
Private First Class

My SA has no clue what is going on. I knew way more about my car than he did and he did nothing for my problem. He eventually tried pairing another E815 with the car and that didn't work either but he said he had never seen nor heard of this problem. He is going to take my car again on Monday.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2005, 10:56 AM   #53
ball
Enlisted Member

Drives: '06 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt55
Rinalds,

My BMW Center worked on my car all day. There currently is not a fix for the disconnect issue with the E815. BMW is researching the issues. By SA, who is good will call me if and when they have a solution. There was a recall though on software.

Also, interesting, the dealer in South Carolina who worked on my BT issue, also changed the TCU. I noticed I could not see the car's info in the assist profile as when I purchased the car but BMW assist seems to work fine. I asked my center to add the car info. They informed me I have to take the car back to the center that worked on the TCU (Maryland to South Carolina 500plus miles) :mad:

We need to keep the pressure on BMW and Verizon as they still list the E815 as compitable with the 3 series.

Hunt55
Ive been following this thread and have a question was there a software recall related to BT specifically?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2005, 10:56 AM   #54
hunt55
Second Lieutenant

Rinalds,

You can share my e-mail to BMW USA. My SA called it an open bulletin and BMW is aware of the issue. My copy of the service work order states they are researching the issue.

You mentioned in another post that Verizon has a Razar phone available. It is on the WEB site of verizon now. Do you know if that one will work? I will fight with Verizon to replace the E815 with the Razar if I can make sure the Razar works even though is is not on the BMW list.

Hunt55
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2005, 01:23 PM   #55
bavarian19
General
United_States

Drives: Car

I am also having some problems with the 815. I had the 710 that Verizon replaced twice. They then upgraded me to the 815, and Im still having some of the same issues. I am having my car brought in for them to take a look at it. I doubt anything can be done, but Im atleast hoping.

I am also having the dealership do a few other things, so I have no problem with them taking the car for a day...
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2005, 01:27 PM   #56
bimmer4me
Captain
United_States

Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
My E815 has been working fine, FWIW. At least for the 3 days that I've had it.

2006 330i Monaco Blue | Grey | Walnut
...Manual | Sports | Premium | Cold | Nav | Comfort Access | PDC | Sirius | Sunshade
...M-Tec Steering Wheel | M-Tec Shifter | TLC
...Performance Center Delivery | Oct 14, 2005
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2005, 01:41 PM   #57
hunt55
Second Lieutenant

Bimmer4me,

Just keep an eye on it. It seems to work great then start spotty connectivity and then gets more consistent over time. I have pretty much narrowed the issue down to not connecting if I leave the phone in the car. But sometimes it does not pair when I take the phone out.

Mine worked great for about one week initially. Then started the spotty issues. Then the BMW center spent a day with the car and phone reprogramming and replacing the TCU. Worked great for two weeks. I have worked on this since the first week in November. Verizon and motorola even tried two new new E815 phones. I am trying to query the post to ask others if the new Razar for Verizon will work. I like the Verizon network or otherwise I would change carriers.

Hunt55
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2005, 02:29 PM   #58
robinli
Enlisted Member

I have a Razr - not a CDMA Verizon one but a GSM with the Canadian carrier here. IT DOES NOT WORK. :mad: Exact same problem as you guys mentioned. I am taking my car in next Monday.

I enabled my BMW Assist this morning. Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2005, 10:07 PM   #59
stelmach

Drives: '06 325i

same problem with razr

I am also having the same problem with a black Razr from cingular. Pairing the phone works perfectly, but then it just sits there with 'Searching for paired devices'. The other thing I noticed that was a little funny is that right after you pair the phone with the car, the phone flashes the message 'unable to connect', while the car says 'phone paired successfully'.

Also, my phone icon doesn't show a picture of a phone like the owners manual shows - instead there are two long dashes. Any one else have this icon instead of the phone icon?
      12-12-2005, 09:15 AM   #60
RINALDS
Private First Class

Hunt - I'm not sure if the Verizon RAZR will work. That is what I was hoping someone would answer in that other thread. I'm pretty sure this is an issue with the car though so I don't know if anyone of the "approved" phones will work. Like I said my SA tried pairing another phone which also "disconnected" immediately upon pairing but that was also another E815.

Stelmach - when the phone is paired and connected it will show the phone. The two dashes appear when there is no phone connected.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2005, 01:23 PM   #61
robinli
Enlisted Member

It is not the phone. It is the car.
I tried a Razr, a T610, a Blackberry and a Xda Pocket PC phone. All have the same problem - can pair but only connects some time.

I took it to the BMW dealer this morning. I replicated the problem. The guy used his own phone - a Motolora something. It did not work with his phone. He said that his phone works in all BMW cars. He said that mine did not work right at all. So, I booked another appointment this Wednesday and they will give me a loaner car.

As said by some other members in the forum. If I leave the phone in the car for some time with the car off. (you may need to lock the car - I am not sure) Then, the next time you turn on the car, it will connect.

If it connects, then try shut down the phone's bluetooth, turn off the car, take the phone out of the car, lock the door. Then turn on the phone's bluetooth while it is outside of the car, (you may need to wait a minute or two) then go in the car, turn on the car, it will not connect again.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2005, 03:19 PM   #62
robinli
Enlisted Member

I received another phone call from the dealer. They told me that I do not need to bring the car back to them this Wednesday. They said that they found the issue in the BMW technical bulletin (or something like that) that it is a known issue. And, BMW is working on it. Will let me know if there is a solution.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2005, 06:31 PM   #63
bavarian19
General
United_States

Drives: Car

I sure hope there is a solution by Jan 2nd when I bring my car in for this exact problem to get fixed....
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2005, 09:36 PM   #64
hunt55
Second Lieutenant

Well, I think we all have come to the conclusion that the bluetooth feature in at least certain 3 series vehicles does not work as advertised by BMW and Verizon in all written documentation. Hmmm, we are even given a list of only certain bluetooth phones and in the case of Verizon, we only have one choice of phones.

From my point of view BMW has to fix the problem! I suggest we seek a time line for the fix or ask them what their plans or to remedy the issue. I plan to follow up with my dealer in two weeks and go from there.

Just my thoughts. I welcome any points or suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2005, 01:41 PM   #65
RINALDS
Private First Class

I just read this post at bimmerfest http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=15
Quote:
Many 2006 - 325-330 series bluetooth systems are having problems and BMW is working on it. Apparently, the system (TCU) that recognizes your phone has a phase that automatically goes dormant after you've been driving for a while. It is supposed to awaken (go on) each time you start the car, but apparently it doesn't do that all of the time. Therein lies the problem. They think it is a software problem and are supposedly working on it. If you have a problem, please complain to the dealer and create greater urgency at BMW. Having spent $600 on this feature to not have it work right for many months since picking the car up is annoying to say the least.

In the meantime, I think that the trick is to go to the telephone menu anytime the feature is not working and turn the bluetooth feature off and on a couple of times to make sure it reawakens. Having done that, you have to active the pairing feature from your phone. I hope this helps.

I guess BMW has pinpointed the problem - now about them fixing it...
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2005, 06:22 PM   #66
hunt55
Second Lieutenant

Thanks for the update. I have tried turning the BT on and off. It does seem to help. You have to turn it off for a few minutes.

Hope BMW finds a fix but it seems they have been working on this for some time but the bulletin is recent. So maybe we have some movement.
Appreciate 0