E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Can 6NF be retrofitted??



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-20-2009, 06:40 AM   #1
JZ69
Private
United Kingdom
3
Rep
79
Posts

Drives: M3 E90 DCT
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Can 6NF be retrofitted??

What it says really.

My dealer messed up and so my new iDrive 2009 works well with iPhone 3G for the phone but won't play the music of it.

Is this a simple retrofit, or is it impossible??

Big warning to those of you speccing cars from new. THe 6NF 70 option is a must have if you want total iPhone integration.

JZ
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 09:53 AM   #2
Rooks
Registered
0
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: 2008 335i Sedan
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orlando FL USA

iTrader: (0)

Im also interested in this question.. I didn't get iDrive, 6NF, or 6FL... Im a moron obviously - and it wasn't explained very well to me when I was ordering my car so it's sorta too little/too late.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 02:34 PM   #3
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Kilgore Trout's Avatar
20
Rep
1,375
Posts

Drives: 2009 E91
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Where you can see through the people, but not the air (i.e., Los Angeles!)

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZ69 View Post
What it says really.

My dealer messed up and so my new iDrive 2009 works well with iPhone 3G for the phone but won't play the music of it.

Is this a simple retrofit, or is it impossible??

Big warning to those of you speccing cars from new. THe 6NF 70 option is a must have if you want total iPhone integration.

JZ

No, 6NF can not be retro'ed.

You should be able to play music on the IPHONE with 6FL though, I think.

Also, if you have 6NF, the Iphone cannot be used to play music if you order the wrong craddle.
__________________
E91 Montego Blue gray leather burl walnut , Idrive, PDC, Logic7, CA, Sirius, xenons, 6FL, ZPP, heated seats, 17" tires.

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 02:47 PM   #4
beskone
Captain
beskone's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
915
Posts

Drives: LeMans BLue e92 335i LCI
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2012 e92 335i LCI  [0.00]
2009 e92 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
No, 6NF can not be retro'ed.

You should be able to play music on the IPHONE with 6FL though, I think.

Also, if you have 6NF, the Iphone cannot be used to play music if you order the wrong craddle.
+1

6NF Smartphone Integration MUST be ordered from the factory, and you must use the CORRECT snap in adapter in order for full functionality.
__________________

e92 LCI LeMans Blue Saddle Brown Bamboo Anthracite Performance Grilles CF Performance Spoiler CF Performance Diffuser ACS Style Roof Spoiler LED Interior Lighting BMS Clutch Stop BMS Intake BMS CDV BMW Performance Exhaust ST V1 Coilovers Miro 111 Staggered More to come!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 03:03 PM   #5
Rooks
Registered
0
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: 2008 335i Sedan
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orlando FL USA

iTrader: (0)

Dangit... i guess im SOL then, since I didn't get 6NF.. even if I got the 3G iPhone Adapter for non 6NF vehicles, it wouldn't probably integrate the Steering Wheel/Radio with the iPod functionality =/
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 03:21 PM   #6
vf208
New Member
0
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: 320d
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cambridge

iTrader: (0)

Ahhhhhhh.......

I've just picked up my car and after ordering the full iDrive kit, the snap in cradle AND the USB slot, I'm annoyed to find out that I can't listen to music on my iphone because I didn't select the 6NF as an option.

What really infuriates me is that no-one thought to look at the combination of extras I was ordering and tell me that the iPhone music wouldn't work without this and nowhere on the BMW (UK) webpage, does it tell you that this is vital for it to work.

It only after after poking around on the internet that I find that I should have order this so if anybody has managed to get this retrofitted then I would love to know. Any help appreciated...

Last edited by vf208; 03-21-2009 at 03:23 PM. Reason: correction
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 03:36 PM   #7
Technic
Lieutenant General
Technic's Avatar
United_States
207
Rep
11,403
Posts

Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vf208 View Post
Ahhhhhhh.......

I've just picked up my car and after ordering the full iDrive kit, the snap in cradle AND the USB slot, I'm annoyed to find out that I can't listen to music on my iphone because I didn't select the 6NF as an option.

What really infuriates me is that no-one thought to look at the combination of extras I was ordering and tell me that the iPhone music wouldn't work without this and nowhere on the BMW (UK) webpage, does it tell you that this is vital for it to work.

It only after after poking around on the internet that I find that I should have order this so if anybody has managed to get this retrofitted then I would love to know. Any help appreciated...
The iPhone works without option 6NF, it just that it will be an "either or" set up: either you play music or get it charged and connected to the exterior OEM cell antenna with the existing cradle and eject box.

You cannot do both at the same time as in the 6NF. The requirement is having option 6FL or the dealer- installed iPod adapter accessory.

Therefore, there nothing vital in this 6NF option, only convenience.

And again, there's no retrofit of this 6NF option.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 05:45 PM   #8
vf208
New Member
0
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: 320d
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cambridge

iTrader: (0)

The reason for ordering the idrive, iPhone cradle and the USB option was to have the "convenience" of utilizing all the functions available on my iPhone. I now know the vital ingredient to knit all these options together is 6nf but unfortunately nobody pointed this out when I ordered the car. It's just frustrating that's all.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 10:15 AM   #9
MichaelFowler
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: BMW 645ci
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Manchester, UK

iTrader: (0)

Just called up BMW in Manchester "Williams"

Asked them to check If my 6 Series had 6NF and It doesnt.

So I asked him how much to do a retro fit and he told me the following:

395 - 6NF Kit
680 - 6hrs Labour

Additionally to upgrade my iDrive to Version 4.0 is an additional 300 "They do not guarantee that it will work - LOL"
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 04:10 PM   #10
amlebede
Guest
amlebede's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
612
Posts

Drives: 2006 BMW 330i
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chapel Hill, NC

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to amlebede Send a message via Skype™ to amlebede
6NF is a worthless mod. Just get an Ipod and Bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 01:22 AM   #11
seemebreakthis
Private
4
Rep
92
Posts

Drives: BMW 325i E90 LCI
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

Talked to the BMW service dept in Hong Kong - 644 can be retrofitted but not 6NF, at least not now.

For more information on all these codes (6NF, 6FL, and 644), see this link: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...on_0909_en.pdf

I don't have too many song, so a viable option for me seems to be getting the 644 and then copy all of my mp3s to the idrive's internal harddisk.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 12:42 PM   #12
Technic
Lieutenant General
Technic's Avatar
United_States
207
Rep
11,403
Posts

Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkan View Post
So, just to be clear for the dummy....I have 2009 Idrive, bluetooth and 6FL, I CANNOT retrofit the 6NF?
Not currently.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2010, 12:42 AM   #13
e92socal
New Member
United_States
1
Rep
23
Posts

Drives: 09 M3 AW
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Southern California

iTrader: (0)

I responded on the below post as well with my info when I wanted to retrofit mine. Looks like a cable in the car is missing. I wonder how hard it would be to just run that cable to the CIC or whever it needs to go...

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...2&postcount=16
__________________
2009 M3
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 06:02 PM   #14
DeFKnoL
Private
2
Rep
67
Posts

Drives: 2010 335 i X-Drive (E90)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Arlington, VA

iTrader: (0)

oops, just saw this thread after starting another:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=364724

Basically, this:

I was surfing around getBMWParts and found this:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462

Has anyone had experience with this add-on? Is it the equivalent providing another USB connection to the iDrive system? Does it require extra software programming from the dealer for the iDrive to see it?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 12:52 PM   #15
330DJay
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: 330D M-Sport Le-Mans Blue
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Lancashire

iTrader: (0)

Missing 6NF!

JZ69 and vf208 - I have got myself into exactly the same situation as you.

Even though I told the dealers my Idrive cannot see my Iphone in the cradle, they still didn't point out that 6NF was missing. Then I found this thread.

How is the average car buyer supposed to spec the right kit, when the BMW dealers don't know how to?

The BMW website and configuration tool don't help and the essential 6NF is described as a Bluetooth accessory in the BMW options price list, wtf has bluetooth to do with it?

So, rant over. Has anyone found a solution, retrofit, or bodge to solve this problem?

Surely if enough people have the issue, BMW should do something to resolve it? (when I phone the dealer, I was the second person that day with the problem!)
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 02:00 PM   #16
Technic
Lieutenant General
Technic's Avatar
United_States
207
Rep
11,403
Posts

Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (18)

The problem with a 6NF retrofit is not so much the hardware (it can be installed) it is somehow the coding as there will be two USB ports instead of only one. And the 6FL port has priority over the 6NF port, so this is more than a hardware issue.

BMW is not releasing any coding for this.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 01:44 AM   #17
boxy
New Member
0
Rep
23
Posts

Drives: E46 E84 E87 R56
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Taiwan

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The problem with a 6NF retrofit is not so much the hardware (it can be installed) it is somehow the coding as there will be two USB ports instead of only one. And the 6FL port has priority over the 6NF port, so this is more than a hardware issue.

BMW is not releasing any coding for this.
Do you have information on actual wiring required for 6NF? I have 644, 6FL installed with a non-usb base plate without connecting nodes. With 6NF cradle installed I am having trouble find the WDS from ISTA since my VIN is not showing with 6NF for the retrofit - from the general wiring diagrams it show a 6NF car should have combox installed replacing 644 module.

I think the coding part can be resolved by requesting new SA/FSC through ASAP.

By the way, does anyone know if this is a updatable function of 6NF, or will require change hardware like combox if not present in the car?

http://accessories.bmw.com/internet_...&absoluteNav=4

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 01:54 PM   #18
taibanl
Brigadier General
taibanl's Avatar
69
Rep
3,698
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxy View Post
Do you have information on actual wiring required for 6NF? I have 644, 6FL installed with a non-usb base plate without connecting nodes. With 6NF cradle installed I am having trouble find the WDS from ISTA since my VIN is not showing with 6NF for the retrofit - from the general wiring diagrams it show a 6NF car should have combox installed replacing 644 module.

I think the coding part can be resolved by requesting new SA/FSC through ASAP.

By the way, does anyone know if this is a updatable function of 6NF, or will require change hardware like combox if not present in the car?

http://accessories.bmw.com/internet_...&absoluteNav=4

Thanks in advance.
How did you get the wiring diagrams with COMBOX...I want to do a combox retrofit and would like to see it.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 02:12 PM   #19
boxy
New Member
0
Rep
23
Posts

Drives: E46 E84 E87 R56
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Taiwan

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
How did you get the wiring diagrams with COMBOX...I want to do a combox retrofit and would like to see it.
I printed the WD from local dealer's ISTA from my VIN. Nowadays they no longer offer WDS, but integrated WD in ISTA/D, VIN specific..

I would love to see one successfully retrofit the combox!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2010, 04:31 AM   #20
boxy
New Member
0
Rep
23
Posts

Drives: E46 E84 E87 R56
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Taiwan

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
How did you get the wiring diagrams with COMBOX...I want to do a combox retrofit and would like to see it.
It seems retrofitting the Combox will invlove replacing the ULF and change/add wiring from the USB Hub. Have you ordered the Combox replacement? Wondering how much that would cost.

I am going to hard wire the USB port to USB base plate, less USB port to see if it works, I assume the "USB" cradle for iphone includes the wiring of normal 6FL Y cable. Can anyone in known verify? Combox is going to be my next move after getting basic 6NF work.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2010, 09:22 AM   #21
Technic
Lieutenant General
Technic's Avatar
United_States
207
Rep
11,403
Posts

Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxy View Post
It seems retrofitting the Combox will invlove replacing the ULF and change/add wiring from the USB Hub. Have you ordered the Combox replacement? Wondering how much that would cost.

I am going to hard wire the USB port to USB base plate, less USB port to see if it works, I assume the "USB" cradle for iphone includes the wiring of normal 6FL Y cable. Can anyone in known verify? Combox is going to be my next move after getting basic 6NF work.

Thank you!
There should be a second USB port in the USB hub for the 6NL.

Combox = 6FL = 6NF

There's already a reported Combox retrofit -with a new iDrive CIC as well- in a 2004 5-Series in a Russian forum, so it is a matter of time that somebody will offer the hardware/software for sale.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 04:43 PM   #22
taibanl
Brigadier General
taibanl's Avatar
69
Rep
3,698
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
There should be a second USB port in the USB hub for the 6NL.

Combox = 6FL = 6NF

There's already a reported Combox retrofit -with a new iDrive CIC as well- in a 2004 5-Series in a Russian forum, so it is a matter of time that somebody will offer the hardware/software for sale.
Thanks...good to know it can be done...google didnt help me, if you can point me to a link, I'd be grateful.

In my case I'd be starting from scratch...no 6FL, no BT Assist, nada.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:28 AM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST