E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Fitting a steering wheel with paddle shift

10-07-2014, 02:39 PM   #1
surrey 335i
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: 335i coupe manual and 325d E91

Fitting a steering wheel with paddle shift

Have got a spare steering wheel off my 2007 335i with the paddle shift and want to fit to my 2007 325d auto, both are multi f steering wheels will it be plug and play or will the 325 wiring be different or need coding?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 04:25 PM   #2
Tipper
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2007 E91 320d SE auto

No it is unlikely to be plug and play.

Additional wiring and connectors are required and even then the multi-function buttons may actually be incorrect due to the wheel wiring differences and rotary coupler connections.

I bought a conversion wiring kit from Burger Tuning in the States to do my 320d but there are 'How tos' on here and other web sites which tell you what wiring and connectors you need to fabricate. I decided it was too risky and didn't want to beggar up the car's delicate electrical systems, hence my kit purchase.

http://www.burgertuning.com/paddleshift.html
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 06:34 AM   #3
oldbilly
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 330d e91 M Sport

as said its unlikely to be plug and play you need to look at the link that I put up to give you an idea as to how its done, I found it quite easy, but I've been doing these sort of things for decades but I have to read instructions more than once more than once
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 02:52 PM   #4
PJJD
Private
Rep

Drives: Working towards an e92 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipper View Post
No it is unlikely to be plug and play.

Additional wiring and connectors are required and even then the multi-function buttons may actually be incorrect due to the wheel wiring differences and rotary coupler connections.

I bought a conversion wiring kit from Burger Tuning in the States to do my 320d but there are 'How tos' on here and other web sites which tell you what wiring and connectors you need to fabricate. I decided it was too risky and didn't want to beggar up the car's delicate electrical systems, hence my kit purchase.

http://www.burgertuning.com/paddleshift.html
So was the Burger Tuning conversion kit just plug and play?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 04:32 PM   #5
Tipper
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2007 E91 320d SE auto

Yes.

But you need to make sure you have all the correct parts otherwise BT's wiring won't function properly, ie, type of wheel, type of multifunction buttons. I had to buy replacement multifunction buttons for my ebay wheel. Their instructions incudes a list of the necessary parts.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 05:58 PM   #6
PJJD
Private
Rep

Drives: Working towards an e92 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipper View Post
Yes.

But you need to make sure you have all the correct parts otherwise BT's wiring won't function properly, ie, type of wheel, type of multifunction buttons. I had to buy replacement multifunction buttons for my ebay wheel. Their instructions incudes a list of the necessary parts.
So the BT wire, steering wheel with paddles. What other parts are required?
Appreciate 0