E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Finally got BMW Apps and BMW Live working on 2011 E92

01-31-2015, 01:18 AM   #1
graham999au
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Coupe

Finally got BMW Apps and BMW Live working on 2011 E92

Howdy,

I have managed to get these great features working in my iDrive. For BMW Apps you need to buy an FSC code, import it, then do some coding. You also need the MEDIA iPhone snap-in, and if you want video you must install an FBAS cable between your snap-in baseplate and CIC.

If you want more details on who can sell you the FSC code please PM me. It costs about US$250. You need to provide remote access using Teamviewer for the coder to log in and import it into your CIC via DCAN cable. The rest of the coding cost US$100 but is pretty straightforward so I ended up doing myself. BMW Live does not require an FSC code.

The great thing about BMW Apps is the built-in support for Pandora.

I just leave an old iPhone 4 permanently plugged into the cradle with a cheap data SIM and it all works great. You can even give the thumbs up or down for the Pandora songs right there using iDrive.

BMW Live is probably not worth it but was easy to code so might as well put it in.

I don't use Twitter but the Facebook app is pretty cool.

Calendar app is sync'ed to your iPhone calendar automatically.

The other requirements are:

SA609 - Navigation Professional
SA6VC - Combox
SA6FL/SA6NH/SA6NL/SA6NK - USB/AUX port
iPhone 3GS/4/4s

Here's some photos.

New BMW Live menu:

News:

Weather:

New ConnectedDrive menu for BMW Apps:

Pandora:

iPod OUT Plugin:

Video:

2011 E92 335i M Sport Coupe/DCT/Black Sapphire/Oyster/Bamboo Grain/Sunroof/OEM Performance Exhaust/Individual Audio/Heated Seats/TV/Folding Mirrors/6FL iPod/6NF Extended Connectivity/Internet/ACS Roof spoiler/ACS Aluminium Peddles
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 01:27 AM   #2
Socket
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i

Nicely done mate... i'm sure there will be a torrent of questions for your DIY
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 02:32 AM   #3
harms
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335i

Looks awesome; wish i had a CIC.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 05:52 PM   #4
Stresspuppy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Ok, I'll go first!

Can you provide, or point me to some information on installing the FBAS cable? I've done the rest and it is coded, I just need to put the cable in. I don't have the snap-in, but have the 6FL USB/Aux In.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 07:38 AM   #5
graham999au
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

The FBAS cable install was a bit of a nightmare. The only info I found was the BMW guide (attached). To access the baseplate connector, just remove the handbrake boot and you can get to the plug there. The CIC end was the hardest as the pins can break when you try and insert them into the CIC connector. Be careful!!

I have the TV function so I needed to use fbas 3 input on the CIC, you may need to use a different video input.

Then code AUX1 to “wert_23” (for fbas 3 input) and CDMM_USB_VIDEO to “both”.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 6NR Retrofit.pdf (638.9 KB, 162 views)
2011 E92 335i M Sport Coupe/DCT/Black Sapphire/Oyster/Bamboo Grain/Sunroof/OEM Performance Exhaust/Individual Audio/Heated Seats/TV/Folding Mirrors/6FL iPod/6NF Extended Connectivity/Internet/ACS Roof spoiler/ACS Aluminium Peddles
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 12:33 AM   #6
Stresspuppy
Private
United_States
Rep

Do you have the snap in plate? When I took a look at the connector under the handbrake there is a female connector, coming from the front I assume, but it doesn't connect to anything. I have the USB and Aux In plugs in the storage area under the armrest, but no snap in.

Can I still do this?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 10:55 PM   #7
Stresspuppy
Private
United_States
Rep

Well, looks like I might be in for an even tougher job. I don't have a snap in so the connector next to the handbrake is only have of it. I have the USB/Aux In connectors in the storage under the armrest. I'm wondering if this is going to be possible. The doc you attached (thanks!!) seems to assume the snap in is there. Even if I did, with an iPhone 6 Plus, wouldn't do me much good I don't think.

So is this even going to be possible or am I tilting at windmills here?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 07:43 AM   #8
graham999au
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stresspuppy
Well, looks like I might be in for an even tougher job. I don't have a snap in so the connector next to the handbrake is only have of it. I have the USB/Aux In connectors in the storage under the armrest. I'm wondering if this is going to be possible. The doc you attached (thanks!!) seems to assume the snap in is there. Even if I did, with an iPhone 6 Plus, wouldn't do me much good I don't think.

So is this even going to be possible or am I tilting at windmills here?
Yep I have the baseplate. You need the media version I think
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 04:51 PM   #9
Pommie335i
Rep
Drives: 335i AW M-Sport 2012

Good job! Do you know if the Spotify app would work with this setup?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 06:46 AM   #10
graham999au
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pommie335i
Good job! Do you know if the Spotify app would work with this setup?
I believe so according to what I've read on several sites but I have not confirmed it for myself
Appreciate 0