E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Adding grill LEDs?? opinions please!

08-15-2011, 08:50 AM   #1
jwise36
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 e90 328i X drive

Question Adding grill LEDs?? opinions please!

Hey everyone, so im thinking about putting some LED strips above and below the inside of the grill (e90 lci) to light it up. just something different i havnt seen before on a bmw, however, there may be a good reason for that.

is it 2 ricey?? i would make sure the LEDs are hidden so only the light can be seen, im thinking either blue or red

also, ive searched for e90 lci bulbs (perhaps in red or blue to match the grill although bright white is just fine) to replace the current stock halo bulbs but cant seem to find an unbiased opinion and bulbs i know will fit without error codes 100%. any help is appreciated.
      08-15-2011, 09:08 AM   #2
OdomPHD
I break for no one

Drives: e9o "Vanity 2"

I'd say it was too ricey, yes. Not so Ricey that I'd point at your grill at a service station and tell you to change it...but most people who get HID / LED fever here just put out the big bucks for good angel eyes. It's a more conservative, natural route for a BMW owner to go.

VWs and pickuptruck drivers uses LED strips.

I can say that you wouldn't regret going the HID route. You can even get HID headlight assembly WITH LED lights for your halos

In the end you can do what you want (It's your car, you deserve to do whatever you want to your baby), but I think other Bimmer owners would laugh at me for putting LED strips on lol.
OdomPHD is offline   United_States
      08-15-2011, 09:20 AM   #3
dirte90
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E90 328i

08-15-2011, 09:21 AM   #4
jwise36
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdomPHD View Post
I'd say it was too ricey, yes. Not so Ricey that I'd point at your grill at a service station and tell you to change it...but most people who get HID / LED fever here just put out the big bucks for good angel eyes. It's a more conservative, natural route for a BMW owner to go.

VWs and pickuptruck drivers uses LED strips.

I can say that you wouldn't regret going the HID route. You can even get HID headlight assembly WITH LED lights for your halos

In the end you can do what you want (It's your car, you deserve to do whatever you want to your baby), but I think other Bimmer owners would laugh at me for putting LED strips on lol.

pont taken im starting to think it would take away from teh front of the car, theres something sinister about only seeing 4 rings glaring in the dark of the night hahah

regarding LED for the halos do you know of any good ones that will fit e90 lci? (i have the HID lights from the factory they look like this, maybe go brighter??)

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=e90+l...1t:429,r:2,s:0
      08-15-2011, 03:30 PM   #5
dwells
ಠ_ಠ

Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwise36 View Post
so im thinking about putting some LED strips above and below the inside of the grill
No.
| E92 335i coupe | Monaco Blue | Cream beige Dakota leather | Premium package, sport package, technology package, comfort access | Style 313M | Huper 40% tint | GP Thunder II 8500K angel eyes | Smoked LED sidemarkers | Painted reflectors | Rear fogs | Amber light delete, digital speedo, remote windows, other coding |
dwells is offline   United_States
      08-15-2011, 04:45 PM   #6
nferber
Private First Class

Drives: '09 E92 335xi

Red or blue lights? I hope you like getting pulled over anytime a cop sees you at night with those lights on.

I'm not sure about Canada, but in the US, having red/blue external lights is illegal, and reserved only for emergency vehicles.
      08-15-2011, 06:45 PM   #7
aandrew325
Lieutenant

Drives: e92 335i

Are you trying to go for something like this? I definitely dont think its a look for a bmw. Also, i didnt drive around with this on either, wired it to the interior lights only.
      08-15-2011, 07:29 PM   #8
edirtaynine
Major General

Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwise36 View Post
Hey everyone, so im thinking about putting some LED strips above and below the inside of the grill (e90 lci) to light it up. just something different i havnt seen before on a bmw, however, there may be a good reason for that.

is it 2 ricey?? i would make sure the LEDs are hidden so only the light can be seen, im thinking either blue or red

also, ive searched for e90 lci bulbs (perhaps in red or blue to match the grill although bright white is just fine) to replace the current stock halo bulbs but cant seem to find an unbiased opinion and bulbs i know will fit without error codes 100%. any help is appreciated.
if u do that, u should request to change your username to "jrice36"
      08-15-2011, 07:42 PM   #9
dionisk
Enlisted Member

Drives: e92

Way too ricey...
      08-15-2011, 09:38 PM   #10
fatass
Second Lieutenant

Drives: none

too ricey? aren't the new bmw's coming out with LED strips already? it's inevitable
      08-15-2011, 10:26 PM   #11
Ghoti
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 335i

The vehicles I've seen w/ aftermarket LED strips look ... well ... horrible. Looks too much like an afterthought. Upgrade the AEs instead.
SG e92 335i 6MT / Cobb S2+ Agg / ETS FMIC / BMS DCI / AR DPs / AE Performance Quad / Eibach Pro-Kit / Painted Grill / Aero Lip / M3 Skirts / M-Tech Rear / DD Diffuser / Painted Reflectors / UUC Evo3 SSK + RK6A-L knob + DSSR / BK BR05 18s / LUX H8 V3 / Coding
e36 M3 ... gone but not forgotten
Ghoti is offline   Canada
      08-15-2011, 10:38 PM   #12
jwise36
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by edirtaynine View Post
if u do that, u should request to change your username to "jrice36"
ahhahah very true

looks like ill stick with the angel eye upgrade. what really changed my mind was when i just drove past a dodge neon with blue grill lights, no thanks

looks like ill stick with the angel eye upgrade. thanks for the input everyone.

anyone running LUX H8 bulbs??