E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Brake Fluid Flush?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-11-2014, 10:37 AM   #1
Thrakos
Audaces fortuna juvat
Thrakos's Avatar
Canada
5
Rep
543
Posts

 
Drives: Black E90 328xi
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canada, eh

iTrader: (1)

Brake Fluid Flush?

OK - just got my E90 back from a service - they used Motul 5w30 oil, stating that it's one of the best out there (techs use it themselves), so I am taking their word for it (reputable indy shop).

For the next service, they recommend a brake fluid flush - is this something that they should tackle or could I do this myself?

Also, looking for a good place to get spark plugs (which brand is best?), engine/cabin air filters, front brake pads/rotors and pad wear sensor?

Thanks!

PS: I'm in Canada, so I would prefer CDN sites unless US sites use USPS (UPS/FedEx just ream us poor Canucks)
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 10:50 AM   #2
gtaccord
Major
United_States
14
Rep
1,114
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 BMW 335xi
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
Go for oem bosch plugs. You could definitely do the brake flush yourself but if you are paying a shop to do an oil change you should probably let them handle that too.

I use ECS tuning for all my parts purchases. Not sure if thar fits the bill for you.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 10:58 AM   #3
Thrakos
Audaces fortuna juvat
Thrakos's Avatar
Canada
5
Rep
543
Posts

 
Drives: Black E90 328xi
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canada, eh

iTrader: (1)

I let them do the first one as I just don't have time right now - next one will be a DIY job! I'll look into the flush bit.. I can't see myself forking over $1500 for the next "service" when I can do it myself for 1/3 of that price :-)

Thanks for the input.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 01:33 PM   #4
smithe90
I've been around
smithe90's Avatar
United_States
47
Rep
887
Posts

 
Drives: '14 F30 328
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to smithe90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrakos View Post
I let them do the first one as I just don't have time right now - next one will be a DIY job! I'll look into the flush bit.. I can't see myself forking over $1500 for the next "service" when I can do it myself for 1/3 of that price :-)

Thanks for the input.

$1500?!?

In america an oil change, brake fluid flush, and spark plug change shouldn't be more then 500 total.
__________________

2014 F30 328i XDrive - Premium, Cold Weather, Nav, Apps. BSM On Black. M Perf Exhaust

RETIRED - 2007 328xi - M3 LCI Rep Front, LCI Hood, M3 Trunk Lip, 18' F30 397 Rims, Muffler Delete, ECS Geomet Rotors, Brushed Steel Vinyl, Full CIC Retrofit, MULF2 Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 02:22 PM   #5
phozenstone
Brigadier General
phozenstone's Avatar
87
Rep
4,933
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E92 Montego Blue
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NY

iTrader: (71)

Cost of:
Oil change - $40 (Mobil 1 plus filter)
Brake fluid - $20 (DOT 4 ATE)
Spark plugs - $65 (NGK from Advance Auto w/coupon)
Labor - FREE (DIY)

If you're about to fork out $1500 for that, give me $1000 I'll do it for you and even supply the parts!
__________________
E92 Xdrive / Montego Blue / M3 Black Novillo Leather / OEM 351M 19" Wheels / Mtech Rear w/ IS Diffuser / Aero Lip / LCI Tailights / M3 Steering Wheel w/Paddles / 40% Huper Optik / Lux V3 / 4300K HID Fogs / Dynavin N6 / 3 Stage Intake Manifold / Magnaflow Dual Exhaust Conversion 4" Tips / K&N Filter w/ charcoal delete / Active Autowerke Stage 2 Tune / KW V1 Coilovers / BMW Performance Strut Bar
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 02:24 PM   #6
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
30
Rep
1,558
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E90 N54
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS

iTrader: (0)

Brake fluid is easy. All you need is basic tools and a brake bleeder bottle, but if you don't have the bottle you can make one for a few bucks out of a 2L bottle and a few feet of clear vinyl tubing from Home Depot.

1. Use a turkey baster to remove the old fluid from the reservoir. Fill it with the new fluid. It is not necessary but it really helps to use a different color brake fluid than the old stuff so you can tell when the old has been completely bled out. For example, if yours is the OEM amber stuff, change to the blue ATE fluid.

2. Remove wheels. Starting with the furthest wheel from the reservoir (rear passenger) loosen, don't remove, the bleed nipple with a normal box-end wrench. I forget which size, 8mm maybe? It's small. Attach your vinyl tubing to the nipple. With the fluid reservoir cap closed, start pressing the brake pedal repeatedly. You want enough tubing so that you can sit in the seat and hold the bottle, that way you don't have to keep getting out of the car to check on it. When no more of the amber stuff comes out and only pure blue fluid is in the tubing, re-tighten the bleed nipple.

3. Add more fluid to the reservoir. Repeat step 2 for the remaining three wheels moving in order of furthest from reservoir to nearest. Take care that you keep the reservoir topped up or you will get an air bubble and have to start all over again.

4. Dispose of your brake fluid propery. Be careful not to get it everywhere as it is very corrosive stuff especially to paint. Fill the reservoir to the fill line and you are done!


Parts can be had cheap on ECS tuning and they make kits for certain jobs. For example, you can get the rotors, pads and sensors all as a kit. that will save you money. They also carry OEM parts as well as OEM-equivalent and performance aftermarket parts. FYI, you can save lots of money on spark plugs by not buying OEM ones. Bosch and NGK both supply OEM plugs to BMW who then puts a BMW roundel on them and marks them up to around $22 each. You can buy exactly the same plugs (often at a local auto parts store) for $7-$10 each. They will have the same part number and everything.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 06:11 PM   #7
Thrakos
Audaces fortuna juvat
Thrakos's Avatar
Canada
5
Rep
543
Posts

 
Drives: Black E90 328xi
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canada, eh

iTrader: (1)

Thanks guys!
The $1500 was for: spark plugs, engine/cabin air filters, front brake pad wear sensor, front brake pads and rotors and then of course the labor on top of the parts...

I can't see myself spending that for easy DIY stuff - which is why I asked here :-)

I'll be tackling the brakes, filters and spark plugs this Summer (working on Thesis and have no time to spare for a couple of more months).

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 10:13 PM   #8
chinko
Private First Class
1
Rep
121
Posts

 
Drives: 335i coupe
Join Date: May 2013
Location: montreal

iTrader: (0)

I ordered from ECS, smooth order and everything was well packaged inside a box. Only downside is I chose 30$ shipping with UPS... ended up paying 150$ more for taxes, customs and broker fees. Their broker fees alone was 85$! Crazy, so be wiser than me and make sure wherever you order from, choose USPS.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 10:43 PM   #9
PichaDis11
Major
PichaDis11's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
1,021
Posts

 
Drives: 08 328i
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NY

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phozenstone
Cost of:
Oil change - $40 (Mobil 1 plus filter)
Brake fluid - $20 (DOT 4 ATE)
Spark plugs - $65 (NGK from Advance Auto w/coupon)
Labor - FREE (DIY)

If you're about to fork out $1500 for that, give me $1000 I'll do it for you and even supply the parts!
Spot on and I would love to help as well for beer money...

Given the right tools this you should not have to go to an INDY for..
I just did Brake job yesterday. Changed front rotors and all pads.. Hardest part is getting the car in the air and secure and remove the caliper carrier.
Ecs also gives to you the option to choose what carrier you may like for your shipping.
__________________
fitted: $609, $620, $6VA, $6VC, $6NR, $6FL, $614, $615 Auto-Dimming Interior Mirror, LCI Halogen Head Lights, Wheels, ECS Geomet Slotted Rotors, Akebono Pads.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 06:54 PM   #10
StuartTX
New Member
United_States
0
Rep
18
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 328i E92 Silver
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: San Antonio

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
Brake fluid is easy. All you need is basic tools and a brake bleeder bottle, but if you don't have the bottle you can make one for a few bucks out of a 2L bottle and a few feet of clear vinyl tubing from Home Depot.

1. Use a turkey baster to remove the old fluid from the reservoir. Fill it with the new fluid. It is not necessary but it really helps to use a different color brake fluid than the old stuff so you can tell when the old has been completely bled out. For example, if yours is the OEM amber stuff, change to the blue ATE fluid.

2. Remove wheels. Starting with the furthest wheel from the reservoir (rear passenger) loosen, don't remove, the bleed nipple with a normal box-end wrench. I forget which size, 8mm maybe? It's small. Attach your vinyl tubing to the nipple. With the fluid reservoir cap closed, start pressing the brake pedal repeatedly. You want enough tubing so that you can sit in the seat and hold the bottle, that way you don't have to keep getting out of the car to check on it. When no more of the amber stuff comes out and only pure blue fluid is in the tubing, re-tighten the bleed nipple.

3. Add more fluid to the reservoir. Repeat step 2 for the remaining three wheels moving in order of furthest from reservoir to nearest. Take care that you keep the reservoir topped up or you will get an air bubble and have to start all over again.

4. Dispose of your brake fluid propery. Be careful not to get it everywhere as it is very corrosive stuff especially to paint. Fill the reservoir to the fill line and you are done!


Parts can be had cheap on ECS tuning and they make kits for certain jobs. For example, you can get the rotors, pads and sensors all as a kit. that will save you money. They also carry OEM parts as well as OEM-equivalent and performance aftermarket parts. FYI, you can save lots of money on spark plugs by not buying OEM ones. Bosch and NGK both supply OEM plugs to BMW who then puts a BMW roundel on them and marks them up to around $22 each. You can buy exactly the same plugs (often at a local auto parts store) for $7-$10 each. They will have the same part number and everything.
I just did this job today and i wanted to add/supplement a few things:

1. The rear bleeder is 9mm and the front is 11mm.

2. If you have someone that can help you then you can just use 6" of tubing and an empty coke can. Just tell your helper to push and hold. Loosen the bleeder and watch the fluid enter the can. Tell your helper to say "okay" when the pedal is all the way depressed. Tighten the bleeder and tell your helper to lift and then press again. Crack open the bleeder again until the pedal bottoms out and repeat over and over again until new, clean fluid is coming out.

3. At Autozone, the good, clear hose was located in a small section full of small engine repair parts.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 08:05 AM   #11
AdamN52
Private First Class
Canada
2
Rep
193
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 328xi (E90)
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

You can easily do all those jobs yourself (if you have the time) as long as you're mildly mechanically inclined and have internet access or a Bentley Manual.

I flush my brake lines whenever I change the pads.
Adds maybe 10mins to the brake job. Just get a brake bleed kit (LINK)from Princess Auto for $15 and get a friend to pump the pedal for you.

Then take your $1500 and buy yourself something nice

also, FYI Rockauto.com is awesome for ordering parts in Canada - maybe not rotors because of the shipping weight.
But all of the prices (once you select a location for shipping) include duties/taxes upfront. I've ordered from them 4 or 5 times now.

I actually get wipers blades from there SHIPPED for cheaper than I can at a local parts store in Toronto. lol
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 09:41 PM   #12
Efthreeoh
Brigadier General
United_States
50
Rep
3,721
Posts

 
Drives: E90
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MARLAND

iTrader: (0)

Take my advice, I've been bleeding brakes for the last 30 years or so. Get a Motive Power Bleeder.

Trained my Wife as my pedal pumper and she's been my brake bleeder partner for the last 27 years. Recently I decided to bleed my clutch. You can not bleed an E90 clutch by pumping the clutch pedal; you just can't TRUST ME ON THIS!. Bleeding the clutch required a pressure bleeder; it took 5 minutes with a Motive Power Bleeder (after 4 hours the day before trying every which way to bleed the clutch hydraulics).

Last weekend I had to flush my brake fluid for its 2-year interval. Pulled out my new Motive Products power bleeder. Took me 20 minutes and the Wife stayed on the porch having cocktails (much to her liking ). I even flushed the clutch again just because I could.

So my advice.... Spend the $55 on a Motive Power Bleeder and do the job correctly.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:49 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST