E90Post
 


TireRack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Video: BMW Camera Based Protection System Development



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-17-2011, 06:12 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
 
Jason's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA

Posts: 16,486
iTrader: (0)

Cool Video: BMW Camera Based Protection System Development

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Video: BMW Camera Based Protection System Development
12
COMMENTS

Another episode from the BMW future lab. It's about pedestrian security.

Most accidents involving pedestrians happen in inner cities at speeds of about 60 km/h. In these situations, a "Camera-based Pedestrian Protection" system can be useful.





Jason is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-18-2011, 10:11 AM   #2
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
 
Kiemyster's Avatar
 
Drives: E90x4 (M3, 335xi, 325xi,320i)
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Queens/NYC

Posts: 3,130
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
the only thing about this system that I am not sure about is the rear of your car. I dont like the idea of my car stopping itself via any computer system.

I will give them props, they eliminated the risk of camera faults due to debris on the camera by putting it in the interior. I just would feel more comfortable with a camera system in the rear also monitoring the vehicles behind you.

So if the system detects a potential force stop from an object ahead, it will also begin scanning the rear for the vehicles behind that are not aware of whats going on.

As far as what commands to dictate to the vehicle if a rear collision is detected, thats a whole other thing to deal with. there are many ways to do it, either power up and go straight, or turn in an area thats safe....

what would be good is if the car can actually scan traffic 360 degrees, and always have "safe zones" mapped out (at least one) so the car not only can controll power (increase/decrease) but steer away from the dangerous situation by turning in a safe direction towards the safe zone.

This is one invention that needs to be heavily developed and tested before it hits the streets. the transponder idea is a shitty idea, waste of money. yeah, lets just get pedestrians to buy responders and keep it with them... i think not. lol.

If anyone should be the pioneers of this technology, it should be BMW. good luck, make us proud.
__________________
"AMG What! S-Line Who? If you ain't got that M I got no respect for you!"
'06 Alpine Weiss E90 320i | '06 The Green Machine E90 325xi | '11 Alpine Weiss E90 M3 ZCP | '10 Silverstone X5M | '11 Alpine Weiss E90 335xi
Kiemyster is offline   Trinidad_and_tobago
0
Reply With Quote
      08-18-2011, 10:51 AM   #3
mhrir
Private First Class
 
Drives: Very fast
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: In the garage

Posts: 142
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiemyster View Post
the only thing about this system that I am not sure about is the rear of your car. I dont like the idea of my car stopping itself via any computer system.

I will give them props, they eliminated the risk of camera faults due to debris on the camera by putting it in the interior. I just would feel more comfortable with a camera system in the rear also monitoring the vehicles behind you.

So if the system detects a potential force stop from an object ahead, it will also begin scanning the rear for the vehicles behind that are not aware of whats going on.

As far as what commands to dictate to the vehicle if a rear collision is detected, thats a whole other thing to deal with. there are many ways to do it, either power up and go straight, or turn in an area thats safe....

what would be good is if the car can actually scan traffic 360 degrees, and always have "safe zones" mapped out (at least one) so the car not only can controll power (increase/decrease) but steer away from the dangerous situation by turning in a safe direction towards the safe zone.

This is one invention that needs to be heavily developed and tested before it hits the streets. the transponder idea is a shitty idea, waste of money. yeah, lets just get pedestrians to buy responders and keep it with them... i think not. lol.

If anyone should be the pioneers of this technology, it should be BMW. good luck, make us proud.
So to simplify what you are proposing... The system lets you run over the child in the street or swerves you into a head on collision with oncoming traffic so you don't get rear ended? I'd rather get rear ended.
mhrir is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-18-2011, 10:52 AM   #4
Ajvar
Private First Class
 
Drives: Bmw 335 sedan
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Gothenburg

Posts: 191
iTrader: (1)

The volvocars were first with this kind of camera
__________________
[OEM M-sport]Stage 3, Procede V4, AMS Fmic, Vishnu Dual Cones, AR DESIGN Catless DP, Scoops, Simons Costum Made Catback, RD V2 Angel Eyes, OEM Blacklines, M3 Trunklip, Mtech CF splitters, CF Trunk/Hood Emblems, CF Mirrors, Matt Black Kidneys, BMW License Plate LED.
Ajvar is offline   Sweden
0
Reply With Quote
      08-18-2011, 11:04 AM   #5
Boostin FD
Major
 
Boostin FD's Avatar
 
Drives: F82 M4
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: St. Louis

Posts: 1,406
iTrader: (2)

I had something similar on S5... I got to say it really is a good design as it can stop the car when it senses the obstacle in front of you, or vehicle braking fast etc... Sometimes i got distracted and looked down only to notice that a guy in front of me stopped to make a turn... The car would just stop on it's own.
__________________
Boostin FD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-18-2011, 03:47 PM   #6
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
 
Kiemyster's Avatar
 
Drives: E90x4 (M3, 335xi, 325xi,320i)
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Queens/NYC

Posts: 3,130
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrir View Post
So to simplify what you are proposing... The system lets you run over the child in the street or swerves you into a head on collision with oncoming traffic so you don't get rear ended? I'd rather get rear ended.
no, im saying that the system should be able to identify safe zones and place the car there in accordance with the situation at hand to avoid being hit all together.
__________________
"AMG What! S-Line Who? If you ain't got that M I got no respect for you!"
'06 Alpine Weiss E90 320i | '06 The Green Machine E90 325xi | '11 Alpine Weiss E90 M3 ZCP | '10 Silverstone X5M | '11 Alpine Weiss E90 335xi
Kiemyster is offline   Trinidad_and_tobago
0
Reply With Quote
      08-18-2011, 08:54 PM   #7
john9
New Member
 
john9's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 3
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New York

Posts: 24
iTrader: (0)

Like the resources very much... Support the page post!
__________________
To the world you may be one person,but to one person you may be the world.

john9 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-18-2011, 11:08 PM   #8
DDS2015
Major
 
Drives: 2011 E90 LCI 328i xdrive
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg/Minneapolis

Posts: 1,036
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiemyster View Post
the only thing about this system that I am not sure about is the rear of your car. I dont like the idea of my car stopping itself via any computer system.

I will give them props, they eliminated the risk of camera faults due to debris on the camera by putting it in the interior. I just would feel more comfortable with a camera system in the rear also monitoring the vehicles behind you.

So if the system detects a potential force stop from an object ahead, it will also begin scanning the rear for the vehicles behind that are not aware of whats going on.

As far as what commands to dictate to the vehicle if a rear collision is detected, thats a whole other thing to deal with. there are many ways to do it, either power up and go straight, or turn in an area thats safe....

what would be good is if the car can actually scan traffic 360 degrees, and always have "safe zones" mapped out (at least one) so the car not only can controll power (increase/decrease) but steer away from the dangerous situation by turning in a safe direction towards the safe zone.

This is one invention that needs to be heavily developed and tested before it hits the streets. the transponder idea is a shitty idea, waste of money. yeah, lets just get pedestrians to buy responders and keep it with them... i think not. lol.

If anyone should be the pioneers of this technology, it should be BMW. good luck, make us proud.
Sorry but I'd rather get rear ended than have my distraction being responsible for the death of a pedestrian. Even if you aren't distracted and the pedestrian jumps into traffic that would haunt me forever. Car is easily fixable or replaceable. Human lives are not. Hell, I slow down and try to avoid when a freaking squirrel runs across the street. I freak out on people if they could've avoided hitting animals on the road. IMO life of any kind is irreplaceable.
DDS2015 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      08-19-2011, 01:39 PM   #9
06E90Rostik
2006 join date crew
 
Drives: 2006 325i, 2011 335i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: CA, Sacramento

Posts: 1,470
iTrader: (10)

Garage List
2011 335i  [5.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajvar View Post
The volvocars were first with this kind of camera
06E90Rostik is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-19-2011, 01:52 PM   #10
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
 
JB135MDCT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2010
Location: MD

Posts: 960
iTrader: (0)

What's with the dummy? German boys don't have any balls?
JB135MDCT is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-23-2011, 04:11 PM   #11
06E90Rostik
2006 join date crew
 
Drives: 2006 325i, 2011 335i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: CA, Sacramento

Posts: 1,470
iTrader: (10)

Garage List
2011 335i  [5.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB135MDCT View Post
What's with the dummy? German boys don't have any balls?
Morgen son! How zu you like to go wiz ze fazer to werk today? You alwayz wanted to c were your Dadi werks
06E90Rostik is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:31 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST