E90Post
 


GT Haus
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > What should I use to protect my leather?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-16-2014, 11:18 AM   #1
MiniXP
Lieutenant
MiniXP's Avatar
8
Rep
417
Posts

Drives: 08 335i
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

What should I use to protect my leather?

I got my 335i back in July and the seats are in great condition. They are terracotta and look really nice and I would like to keep them that way.

1. The drivers seat is kinda stretched where you sit. I've seen people do the hot towel trick to get that out. Is that a good idea? My parents actually have a clothes steamer, should I try that instead?

2. What should I put on them to protect them? I use Leatherique Prestine Clean to clean them. Is 303 Aerospace good for protection after that? I really like the matte look they have, I don't want anything that makes them shiny. Do I need to use any type of conditioner? The leather in my e46 was a much different texture and seemed like it was sealed against stains, so I always heard there was no point in conditioner for them. Is the e90 different?
__________________
http://www.e90post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic228641_1.gif
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 08:39 PM   #2
SHEEDI
Lieutenant Colonel
SHEEDI's Avatar
United_States
41
Rep
1,744
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [4.67]
once cleaned you have to seal them with some type of coating, I prefer carpro leather coating
http://www.carpro-us.com/finest-auth...er-vinyl-30ml/
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 08:47 AM   #3
MiniXP
Lieutenant
MiniXP's Avatar
8
Rep
417
Posts

Drives: 08 335i
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEEDI View Post
once cleaned you have to seal them with some type of coating, I prefer carpro leather coating
http://www.carpro-us.com/finest-auth...er-vinyl-30ml/
Will that alter the feel or appearance of the leather at all?
__________________
http://www.e90post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic228641_1.gif
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 12:09 PM   #4
SHEEDI
Lieutenant Colonel
SHEEDI's Avatar
United_States
41
Rep
1,744
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [4.67]
i don't know, for further questions contact Corey at carpro
http://www.carpro-us.com/finest-auth...er-vinyl-30ml/
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 09:34 PM   #5
tmdals0213
Major
tmdals0213's Avatar
Switzerland
20
Rep
1,133
Posts

Drives: 3 Series Row Boat
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: amazon.com/prime

iTrader: (1)

chemical guys

http://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-...l+guys+leather

if carpros is on the expensive side for you
__________________
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 10:27 PM   #6
tony20009
Brigadier General
tony20009's Avatar
United_States
135
Rep
4,636
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniXP View Post
I got my 335i back in July and the seats are in great condition. They are terracotta and look really nice and I would like to keep them that way.

1. The drivers seat is kinda stretched where you sit. I've seen people do the hot towel trick to get that out. Is that a good idea? My parents actually have a clothes steamer, should I try that instead?

2. What should I put on them to protect them? I use Leatherique Prestine Clean to clean them. Is 303 Aerospace good for protection after that? I really like the matte look they have, I don't want anything that makes them shiny. Do I need to use any type of conditioner? The leather in my e46 was a much different texture and seemed like it was sealed against stains, so I always heard there was no point in conditioner for them. Is the e90 different?
Seat covers. I use wool fleece ones. About twice a year, I use a leather cleaner and conditioner just to keep the leather from drying out. That's the best one can do. It doesn't matter what conditioner one uses so long as it's water-based.

The greatest threat to your leather seats is the abrasion of your ass rubbing against the bolsters and wearing the leather down and eventually causing it to tear. The second greatest threat is the Sun and the drying effects. The Sun's impact can be ameliorated by using just about any leather conditioner, the point being to keep the leather moist so it won't dry out, then stretch and and eventually crack and tear any sooner than they will due to the abrasion from just using the seats as they are intended to be used.

All the best.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 10:37 PM   #7
Eat.Sleep.Race
Out Boosting...
United_States
42
Rep
3,016
Posts

Drives: LCI 335i
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Northern VA

iTrader: (4)

im interested in knowing how the C quarts works. Looks like a top notch product.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 05:59 AM   #8
tony20009
Brigadier General
tony20009's Avatar
United_States
135
Rep
4,636
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat.Sleep.Race View Post
im interested in knowing how the C quarts works. Looks like a top notch product.
I don't know about that one. I use Zaino, mostly because I like the smell it leaves behind and the smell lasts for quite a while.

All the best.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 02:52 PM   #9
SHEEDI
Lieutenant Colonel
SHEEDI's Avatar
United_States
41
Rep
1,744
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [4.67]
you can try quartz and leave some zaino infront of AC Vents for few days, that way you will findout how CQ workss and you will still have Zaino's smell inside the car


Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
I don't know about that one. I use Zaino, mostly because I like the smell it leaves behind and the smell lasts for quite a while.

All the best.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 12:02 PM   #10
tony20009
Brigadier General
tony20009's Avatar
United_States
135
Rep
4,636
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEEDI View Post
you can try quartz and leave some zaino infront of AC Vents for few days, that way you will findout how CQ workss and you will still have Zaino's smell inside the car
TY for the suggestion. It's a good idea. The thing is I'm quite content with the Zaino and I'm not given to fixing what's not broken.

All the best.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 12:37 PM   #11
SHEEDI
Lieutenant Colonel
SHEEDI's Avatar
United_States
41
Rep
1,744
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [4.67]
that CQUARTZ Leather coat is to protect leather from being worn out, it is not made to fix anything which is broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
TY for the suggestion. It's a good idea. The thing is I'm quite content with the Zaino and I'm not given to fixing what's not broken.

All the best.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 02:14 PM   #12
MiniXP
Lieutenant
MiniXP's Avatar
8
Rep
417
Posts

Drives: 08 335i
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

Anyone know if the c-quartz smells at all? I'm would guess not but want to check.

I'm not interested in Zaino mostly bc I don't like any type of artificial smell in my car. I prefer to smell nothing at all when I get in it. It took me forever to air out these stupid air freshener squares that the dealer I bought it from had in it.
__________________
http://www.e90post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic228641_1.gif
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2014, 12:17 PM   #13
SHEEDI
Lieutenant Colonel
SHEEDI's Avatar
United_States
41
Rep
1,744
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [4.67]
review here
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...r-coating.html
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 04:07 AM   #14
Broken_Gearbox
Captain
Broken_Gearbox's Avatar
9
Rep
762
Posts

Drives: E92 - 325i (2.5) M Sport Auto
Join Date: May 2013
Location: London, UK

iTrader: (1)

I use Dr Leather Wipes for monthly conditioning and cleaning.

Twice a year I use Renapur Leather Balsam: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Renapur-Ltd-...leather+balsam be sure to test a patch before you use it (if you do). I chose it based simply on the 383, 5 star reviews it had. Expensive but worth it.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:18 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST