E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > FYI... for 335...software update from BMW will equal power...



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-20-2007, 04:03 PM   #45
BzzzBom
Major
41

 
Drives: 05 R53 MINI / 09 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Los Angeles


Posts: 1,214
iTrader: (0)

I believe this "rumor" is true. I heard the same thing from both a SA and technician at a very reputable dealer in California. I own a 335i and a Mini Cooper S. Many Mini dealers are offering the John Cooper works ECU reflash for the Mini Cooper S for $150.00. A price of $500 sounds about right. I don't think the reflash will be quite as aggressive as the Procede however. It only takes about 15 minutes to reflash the ECU and maybe 5 minutes of labor time (ie - pure profit) Thanks for the info from our friend from NJ.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 04:04 PM   #46
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
60

 
Revlis's Avatar
 
Drives: 335is
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seattle Area, WA


Posts: 3,446
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerunball View Post
Nothing will hurt the sales of M3's...nothing. Not even if 335i's had higher numbers. People buy M3's because they are M3's not because it has the most power.

Again, I'll wave the little Bullshit Flag. If the M3 is going to cost on average $15-20k more than whatever other 3 series is available, but it only makes the SAME HP or 10 less it wouldn't effect sales?

Wha???...

I know it's 4/20 but quit smoking the Mbuds.... There may be a small contingent of die hard fan boys out there in it for an emblem or M badge, but by and large M3 sales would suffer, in fact I'll say they are already going to suffer given the level of performance available in the 335s.

Suffer being the key word, I don't think it'll be the end of the M3s but it would certainly eat into their numbers.
__________________

'13 TiAg over Coral, 335is | DCT | Prem | L7 | Nav/Idrive | CA | 19" "-------"

A BMW is Just a Car, it doesn't make you smart, handsome, cool, or wealthy. Get over it.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 04:05 PM   #47
purplewidow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
26

 
purplewidow's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago


Posts: 1,928
iTrader: (2)

could also be "ONE" of the reasons why all are getting oil coolers now...and yeah it would be an early Christmas if this came true!!! but in the end i still can't believe this is gonna happen...maybe your friend just misunderstood someone...but for the sake of humanity i hope this is true!!
________
Uggs

Last edited by purplewidow; 03-29-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 04:06 PM   #48
bronco
Colonel
United_States
33

 
bronco's Avatar
 
Drives: e92
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Atlanta


Posts: 2,105
iTrader: (0)

hey is it April 1st....uhhhh nope it is actually 4/20

I will believe it only when I see it, but even is BMW asked $1500 for it, I would pay it. Cant beat BMW engineering, and no warranty issues

And I dont actualy think that this will hurt M3 sales. Why? Because whoever buys an M3 does not buy it for the whp. They buy it for the badge and the overal driving experience.

I know I would have bought an M3 sedan if it was available right now without even thinkning about the 335i. And I wouldnt care if a tuned up 335i was going to beat my e90 M3. It is that simple.

Enjoy the good weather weekend and drive safe!
__________________
SaaS - The world of tomorrow is already here...www.saaschronicles.com
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 04:08 PM   #49
johnc_22
First Lieutenant
3

 
johnc_22's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 E90 335i
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Atlanta


Posts: 337
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenment View Post
Um... April 1st was 19 days ago.
+5,000,000,000,000,000,000...

The was the first thing I looked at was the date on the original post. I'd love to be surprised that this is true but . . .

Maybe they'll keep it on the shelf until the "need" more power to compete with other brands (e.g. the G37)?
__________________
E90 335i: TiAg, black leather, burl walnut, 6MT, Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, PDC, Sirius, Comfort Access, Nav
ED: 3/30/2007 Redelivered! 5/15/2007.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 04:11 PM   #50
NPDAN
Colonel
31

 
NPDAN's Avatar
 
Drives: AW DCT M3
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: So.Cal


Posts: 2,570
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [4.00]
07' E92 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to NPDAN
BMW Turbo tuner and PROcede... holy shit hold on to your socks.....
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 04:11 PM   #51
bmw0perat0r
Lieutenant
United_States
4

 
bmw0perat0r's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 328i xDrive Sport Line
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: MD


Posts: 492
iTrader: (0)

Would be nice if this were true.

I suppose its possible that since the new M3 isn't out just yet, they may change the power output on that and give 335 owners a little more "fun".

If its too good to be true, it usually is. Hopefully that isn't the case, how nice would that be to get a warranty safe performance upgrade from bmw.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 04:13 PM   #52
bronco
Colonel
United_States
33

 
bronco's Avatar
 
Drives: e92
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Atlanta


Posts: 2,105
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw0perat0r View Post
Would be nice if this were true.

I suppose its possible that since the new M3 isn't out just yet, they may change the power output on that and give 335 owners a little more "fun".

If its too good to be true, it usually is. Hopefully that isn't the case, how nice would that be to get a warranty safe performance upgrade from bmw.
Sooooo nice that it is almost impossible :P
__________________
SaaS - The world of tomorrow is already here...www.saaschronicles.com
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 04:16 PM   #53
purplewidow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
26

 
purplewidow's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago


Posts: 1,928
iTrader: (2)

yeah but to hear someone in cali heard the same thing from a dealer is strange
________
Expert Insurance

Last edited by purplewidow; 03-29-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 04:19 PM   #54
AndreyATC
The Rocket
United_States
21

 
AndreyATC's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 X6M
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Near NYC


Posts: 1,530
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
We need more replies from knowlegible SAs
__________________
2012 X6M AW/Silverstone II Full Leather/Driver Assistance/HUD/Active ventilated seat/Rear Climate/Cold Weather/Premium Sound/BMW Apps/Soft Close/Side-top-rear Cams/Comfort Seats/3 Seats/Keyless
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 04:19 PM   #55
johnc_22
First Lieutenant
3

 
johnc_22's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 E90 335i
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Atlanta


Posts: 337
iTrader: (0)

__________________
E90 335i: TiAg, black leather, burl walnut, 6MT, Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, PDC, Sirius, Comfort Access, Nav
ED: 3/30/2007 Redelivered! 5/15/2007.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 04:28 PM   #56
homerunball
Private
0

 
Drives: 96 Geo Metro 1.0L
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Los Angeles


Posts: 81
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post
Again, I'll wave the little Bullshit Flag. If the M3 is going to cost on average $15-20k more than whatever other 3 series is available, but it only makes the SAME HP or 10 less it wouldn't effect sales?

Wha???...

I know it's 4/20 but quit smoking the Mbuds.... There may be a small contingent of die hard fan boys out there in it for an emblem or M badge, but by and large M3 sales would suffer, in fact I'll say they are already going to suffer given the level of performance available in the 335s.

Suffer being the key word, I don't think it'll be the end of the M3s but it would certainly eat into their numbers.
If anyone is smoking anything its you. I drive a 335 and its great. I used to own an M3 and its a different car. Do you think M3's were the most powerful cars then? No! And they never were, never will be. Audi's were always faster, and so were AMG's. Have you ever seen a BMW overtake a Ferrari, Porsche, or any American on the straights in professional racing? If big HP numbers were the only factors in sales, then why did you buy a BMW?

M is a special made car designed from the ground up. There is no need to tell you why it is superior to other cars and why people buy them. I can't afford the E92 M3 but even if I had a 600hp 335i I would have an M3 in the garage. There is also no need to compare prices either; how much cheaper this is for this much power, bla bla bla.... Go get yourself a Civic, spend 10k in mods and you will walk any BMW product out there.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 04:45 PM   #57
pincud
Private
United_States
1

 
Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Phoenix


Posts: 60
iTrader: (0)

BMW upgrade for 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzzzBom View Post
I believe this "rumor" is true. I heard the same thing from both a SA and technician at a very reputable dealer in California. I own a 335i and a Mini Cooper S. Many Mini dealers are offering the John Cooper works ECU reflash for the Mini Cooper S for $150.00. A price of $500 sounds about right. I don't think the reflash will be quite as aggressive as the Procede however. It only takes about 15 minutes to reflash the ECU and maybe 5 minutes of labor time (ie - pure profit) Thanks for the info from our friend from NJ.
Last Friday, when I picked up the car from the dealership, my salesman said pretty much the same thing. He told me that the shop foreman was talking to BMW about their ECU reflash and was waiting on an aswer about the ability of the engine to carry the extra 60 horses. However, he mentioned a price of $1500. I mentioned the other tuners out there (Procede, Xede) and he said that installing those would void the warranty from BMW. This implies to me that BMW is indeed looking at doing that and is right now testing the car to make sure that nothing breaks. I would think that within two months they will be on the market with it, and their warranty will cover it.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 05:00 PM   #58
1clean335i
Perf BMW mag issue 147, 159
Vietnam
153

 
1clean335i's Avatar
 
Drives: Project Estoril
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Central Florida


Posts: 6,753
iTrader: (30)

Garage List
i doubt it...
__________________
'13 Estoril Blue 335i M-sport
*Don't PM me!* Message me here- http://www.facebook.com/ProjectEstoril
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 05:05 PM   #59
ATG
Major
Cuba
21

 
ATG's Avatar
 
Drives: f30 328 xdrive, e90 335i gone
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Eastside


Posts: 1,058
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Let's ask MattoElite and BMW of Bellevue!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52207
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 05:09 PM   #60
Joe Bimmer
Lieutenant
5

 
Drives: 2006 325i
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Austin, TX


Posts: 546
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pincud View Post
Last Friday, when I picked up the car from the dealership, my salesman said pretty much the same thing. He told me that the shop foreman was talking to BMW about their ECU reflash and was waiting on an aswer about the ability of the engine to carry the extra 60 horses. However, he mentioned a price of $1500. I mentioned the other tuners out there (Procede, Xede) and he said that installing those would void the warranty from BMW. This implies to me that BMW is indeed looking at doing that and is right now testing the car to make sure that nothing breaks. I would think that within two months they will be on the market with it, and their warranty will cover it.
If this materializes, I'm taking the hit on trading in the 325 and getting a 335. I shall wait-and-see.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 06:18 PM   #61
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
60

 
Revlis's Avatar
 
Drives: 335is
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seattle Area, WA


Posts: 3,446
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerunball View Post
If anyone is smoking anything its you. I drive a 335 and its great. I used to own an M3 and its a different car. Do you think M3's were the most powerful cars then? No! And they never were, never will be. Audi's were always faster, and so were AMG's. Have you ever seen a BMW overtake a Ferrari, Porsche, or any American on the straights in professional racing? If big HP numbers were the only factors in sales, then why did you buy a BMW?

M is a special made car designed from the ground up. There is no need to tell you why it is superior to other cars and why people buy them. I can't afford the E92 M3 but even if I had a 600hp 335i I would have an M3 in the garage. There is also no need to compare prices either; how much cheaper this is for this much power, bla bla bla.... Go get yourself a Civic, spend 10k in mods and you will walk any BMW product out there.


I believe my point to be valid and your assumptions to be incorrect. M3 is a very slick car no doubt... But to say that the 335s, (EVEN NOW BONE STOCK) aren't going to eat into M3 sales is silly. That was my point...

I test drove a few M3s prior to ordering the 335. They are sweet, but they are also focused. I believe there is a good chunk of folks out there that are looking for a fantastic handling, powerful STREET CAR and aren't interested in the M3's stiffer ride, boy racer badges, bulges, and Flares. Especially if track days aren't high on the priority list. After driving the two back to back I could find no reason NOT to get a car that's simply a better everyday car and that was the 335.

Didn't mean to get you all worked up, the M cars are very nice, and if I were in more of a sports car mode I would be on the damn E92 M3 list right now...
__________________

'13 TiAg over Coral, 335is | DCT | Prem | L7 | Nav/Idrive | CA | 19" "-------"

A BMW is Just a Car, it doesn't make you smart, handsome, cool, or wealthy. Get over it.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 06:49 PM   #62
bigrobb2
Private First Class
United_States
1

 
bigrobb2's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 Monaco 335I
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NY (Long Island)


Posts: 161
iTrader: (0)

I been wondering all along if BMW had a trick up their sleeve for the Infiniti G37.
I mean what would be worse the BMW 335 cutting into BMW M3 sales or INFINITI G37 cutting in to e92 sales period. ( BMW would have more to loose)

Don't get me wrong it still could be B.S. from either side.

DAMN I hope its true.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 07:04 PM   #63
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
28

 
Potty_Pants's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Genesis Sedan Rspec
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Southern NJ


Posts: 2,191
iTrader: (0)

the proceed destroys the new g37...

so if this is true... BMW would win hands down and the G37 sales would take a hit... i know im comming from one !

as far as this being viable... well the proceed is running & rumors state the engine is built stronger then the 300 h/t it puts out. this engine configuration allows for additional power if the 2008 comes out with 331hp it'll be higher then the G... and all it is a TUNE on the ECU.

so its feasible... going to happen... dunno you guys know bmw more then I. but I wouldnt hesititate to pay 1,500 for it from bmw......

ppp
__________________
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 07:07 PM   #64
hands on
Private First Class
3

 
Drives: 07 335i coupe, Titanium/Saddle
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: UT


Posts: 124
iTrader: (0)

bs
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 07:21 PM   #65
ironic
Major General
United_States
128

 
ironic's Avatar
 
Drives: Jet Black 335i
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: San Francisco, Ca


Posts: 8,342
iTrader: (22)

the m3s have always been more than than just a 3 series with more hp. if you guys think that 90hp more is gonna make up for a limited slip, the styling, the brakes, the 2 extra cylinders, the exclusivity, the guages, the wider track...your on crack.
__________________


Widebody 335i Project Car BUILD | PHOTOSHOOT
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 07:33 PM   #66
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
28

 
Potty_Pants's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Genesis Sedan Rspec
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Southern NJ


Posts: 2,191
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironic View Post
the m3s have always been more than than just a 3 series with more hp. if you guys think that 90hp more is gonna make up for a limited slip, the styling, the brakes, the 2 extra cylinders, the exclusivity, the guages, the wider track...your on crack.
+1

that is why i feel its resonable for them to release an ECU update.

ppp
__________________
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST