E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > How long do used vehicles stay on the used vehicle lot?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-22-2011, 10:29 PM   #1
kaishang
Colonel
 
Drives: 2010 E90 330d
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: London

Posts: 2,198
iTrader: (0)

How long do used vehicles stay on the used vehicle lot?

I just looked up the bike I traded in about 3 months ago on a new bike..... still on sale.

Is this normal????
kaishang is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-23-2011, 01:11 AM   #2
peterg1965
Brigadier General
 
peterg1965's Avatar
 
Drives: E70 X5 xdrive35d M Sport
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The place of dark satanic mills, UK

Posts: 4,137
iTrader: (0)

The C4S I traded over 3 months ago is still for sale at an Official Porsche Centre, so I guess it is 'normal', particularly if Traders/Dealers are being a tad greedy with their asking prices. I think some main dealers will have a policy of reducing the price after a certain number of days on sale 30/60/90, some cars will then be disposed of through auctions if left unsold.
peterg1965 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-23-2011, 01:23 AM   #3
willhollin
Major General
 
willhollin's Avatar
 
Drives: VW T5
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Worcestershire

Posts: 9,914
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Normally till they are sold.
__________________
willhollin is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      08-23-2011, 02:26 AM   #4
JLR1969
Brigadier General
 
JLR1969's Avatar
 
Drives: Ford GT Lawn Tractor
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Somerset

Posts: 3,397
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
The C4S I traded over 3 months ago is still for sale at an Official Porsche Centre, so I guess it is 'normal', particularly if Traders/Dealers are being a tad greedy with their asking prices. I think some main dealers will have a policy of reducing the price after a certain number of days on sale 30/60/90, some cars will then be disposed of through auctions if left unsold.
It's still hurting isn't it
JLR1969 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-23-2011, 02:42 AM   #5
peterg1965
Brigadier General
 
peterg1965's Avatar
 
Drives: E70 X5 xdrive35d M Sport
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The place of dark satanic mills, UK

Posts: 4,137
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post
It's still hurting isn't it
Actually it hurts less and less the longer the car sits there unsold

By my reckoning if they had not been so greedy on the asking price it would have sold by now, it needed nothing doing to it for prep, other than a valet. I suspect the cost of capital over 3 months and the fact that it has been reduced in price 3 times will mean their profit margin is satisfying small
peterg1965 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-23-2011, 06:46 AM   #6
JLR1969
Brigadier General
 
JLR1969's Avatar
 
Drives: Ford GT Lawn Tractor
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Somerset

Posts: 3,397
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
Actually it hurts less and less the longer the car sits there unsold

By my reckoning if they had not been so greedy on the asking price it would have sold by now, it needed nothing doing to it for prep, other than a valet. I suspect the cost of capital over 3 months and the fact that it has been reduced in price 3 times will mean their profit margin is satisfying small
I had the SLK in the garage for 2 weeks until it was collected and everyday I would go and have a look at it. That was a nightmare. Now its gone and the money is in the bank I feel a lot happier.

Perhaps like you I feel that in this climate having a high performance car with very high running costs does not feel like a happy place to be. Good whilst it lasted but I am glad to be out.

I would feel happy that the Porsche had not sold and the greedy dealers were having to reduce the price as well.
JLR1969 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-23-2011, 12:59 PM   #7
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
 
Dr Dave's Avatar
 
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Somerset

Posts: 5,541
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Dealer will usually (if the market allows) operate on a 90 day turnover.

Thats how it was back in the 2000's anyway. Probably a little different thtese days.
__________________
Dr Dave is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-24-2011, 05:49 AM   #8
peterg1965
Brigadier General
 
peterg1965's Avatar
 
Drives: E70 X5 xdrive35d M Sport
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The place of dark satanic mills, UK

Posts: 4,137
iTrader: (0)

My old C4S Cab has been dropped in price for the 4th time Now down to 45,686 - they have had it for over 90 days now. Their profit margin is definately being squeezed now and we are heading towards late summer/Autumn - not cab buying time (unless you are me!)

PH ad, this doesn't reflect the price on the OPC site.

I don't know why this makes me feel much better, but it does... I need to let it go....
peterg1965 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-24-2011, 05:55 AM   #9
RCUK
Lieutenant Colonel
 
RCUK's Avatar
 
Drives: 911 Turbo
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Orpington, Kent

Posts: 1,575
iTrader: (4)

That seems really pricey ... wow.
__________________
Been there, done that, driven the 'Ring
RCUK is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-24-2011, 06:11 AM   #10
///ajd
Colonel
 
///ajd's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 330d Touring
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: ...

Posts: 2,297
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
My old C4S Cab has been dropped in price for the 4th time Now down to 45,686 - they have had it for over 90 days now. Their profit margin is definately being squeezed now and we are heading towards late summer/Autumn - not cab buying time (unless you are me!)

PH ad, this doesn't reflect the price on the OPC site.

I don't know why this makes me feel much better, but it does... I need to let it go....
You can get Gen 2 coupes for less than that. Complete with (probably) non-exploding engine.....you are well to be out of a Gen 1 997 Peter.
__________________
E91 330d Touring M Sport Auto 2006
225M 19" MV4 + Falken 453
M3 270M 18" rims + Vred Wintrac Extremes
100,000 miles
///ajd is offline   France
0
Reply With Quote
      08-24-2011, 07:11 AM   #11
peterg1965
Brigadier General
 
peterg1965's Avatar
 
Drives: E70 X5 xdrive35d M Sport
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The place of dark satanic mills, UK

Posts: 4,137
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///ajd View Post
You can get Gen 2 coupes for less than that. Complete with (probably) non-exploding engine.....you are well to be out of a Gen 1 997 Peter.
One of the reason I sold it so readily back to an OPC was that they offered, what I thought, was a decent price that was slightly better than Glasses trade/px value (the hardtop helped there). I am glad I sold now. I guess they thought, with the spec and time of year, it would fly out of the door. How wrong they were

With the 991 now officially launched at UK OPCs in December, there will be more downward pressure on 997 prices.
peterg1965 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-24-2011, 07:32 AM   #12
RCUK
Lieutenant Colonel
 
RCUK's Avatar
 
Drives: 911 Turbo
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Orpington, Kent

Posts: 1,575
iTrader: (4)

Guess they believed there might be a summer this year ....

Isnt the hardtop standard on these? Thought they were on the 996?
__________________
Been there, done that, driven the 'Ring
RCUK is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-24-2011, 07:48 AM   #13
peterg1965
Brigadier General
 
peterg1965's Avatar
 
Drives: E70 X5 xdrive35d M Sport
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The place of dark satanic mills, UK

Posts: 4,137
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCUK View Post
Guess they believed there might be a summer this year ....

Isnt the hardtop standard on these? Thought they were on the 996?
Not standard on 997, about 2500 option, although in effect it is the same roof as the 996 but with different catches and pins.
peterg1965 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:27 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST