E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > French Motorways

08-28-2011, 11:12 AM   #1
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: 320D M-Sport Estoril Blue II

French Motorways

Just got back from an 1100 miles round trip to France down to the Dordogne.
All mainly, as much as poss, at about 81 mph (their max speed limit) on motorways, for quickness.
Motorways generally are superb. Smooth, quite, no ripples, ridges or bumps.
Which I would say indicates excellent engineering. In one day I did 260 miles, lovely!
There are frequent resting places to pull over, plus service stations of course: Total, Avia, BP & Shell.
The whole French system shows up the UK motorways as being cheaply engineered with cheap road surface material.
I did'nt find anything in France to equal the poor concrete surface exsisting on the southern part of the M25. It's an absolute disgrace!
Went round part of the Paris ring road. If you can do the M25 it's no prob! The whole trip, only saw one Corsa type weaving thro' the traffic. I see more in a day here!
The round trip, the diesel 320D did 49.50 mpg!
if you want a good run in your motor, go to France!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 01:00 PM   #2
CHG
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: A Variety of 4 Wheeled Things

Should have popped in and said hi
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 03:12 PM   #3
chris_s1
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: 2012 E92 335d MSport

Garage List
2012 E92 335d  [4.33]
Yeah, the French motorways really do put ours to shame.
Their lane discipline is much better as well. You never see idiots sat in the middle or fast lane like you do here.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 03:28 PM   #4
Oli
Campervan man
Rep

Drives: RS3 and VW Kombi

1 day 260 miles, is that all! - I've just done Sussex to Girona in one go, 850 plus miles!!

We go over to Europe a few times a year and I must agree the roads are excellent.......expensive though.

Genuine VW T5 California Rental
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 03:58 AM   #5
Desmondo
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: E90 330i M-Sport

I didn't think 260 was much either It's only 10 miles further than I have to travel to get to the outlaws in Swansea and it's only a 4 hour drive.

Back to the French motorways though, they are so easy to drive on but I think it's mainly becuase they're just not so congested as our motorways here. We have so much traffic on our roads that I think many people become set in their ways with middle lane drivers and those hogging the outside lane. We've become selfish drivers to keep hold of what little space we think we have.

My wife recently called me a lane nazi on one journey because I couldn't stop pointing out people making stupid and unecessary lane changes or just sitting in the middle lane for no apparent reason
      08-29-2011, 09:27 AM   #6
leetennis
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 3 M Sport

Travel on samedi noir down the route du soliel and you will never do another mile on the French roads ever!
In fairness the roads are excellent or the motorways are, not so much the towns. I think the driving style on the continent is nothing short of madness allowing no spaces between vehicles. Anyone touching their brakes will echo right through the chain of traffic for miles they are so tightly packed.
Where abouts were you in the dordogne? Just came back from languedoc region (servian) had a blinding run back and cancelled the stop over and headed straight for the tunnel, tend to avoid Paris ring road altogether now, seems to save time compared to when I have used the ring and I find it easier miles.
Appreciate 0