E90Post
 


MINHS Auto Care Center
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Dealer software update



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-24-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
farb
teh Rider!
 
Drives: E92 335xi
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 441
iTrader: (1)

Exclamation Dealer software update

Need some quick answers here guys.

My dealer tells me that I need software updates both for me engine (DME) and transmission. The problem is that I have some custom coding for nice to have features such as corner light delete, windows up & fold mirrors with FOB,etc. and I really don't know if the software update will erase them. If it does, I will probably need to make a backup first correct?

Thank for your help.
__________________
2008 335xi AW/Black MT
383 awhp/410awtq
Avant Garde M359 l Hankook Ventus V12 l Kw V1 l M3 Front+sides | Mtec Rear | LCI tails l Cobb Stage2+FMIC l AR DP l ER IC l ER CP l Tial BOV | AFE Stage2 DCI
farb is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-24-2013, 06:20 PM   #2
cyrano
Banned
 
Drives: E61 530XD chipped
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Poland

Posts: 145
iTrader: (0)

Not quite, first question is if dealer would update only engine and tranny , if yes ( and this is odd cause their soft usually didnt allowed to update single modules) than your coding is safe, if not and they will update whole car you will loose all settings, and now you have two options :

- Your other modules are quite new so there will be no big update for them , you can restore your coding copy

- Your other modules are quite old and there are many updates for modules you cannot restore your coding cause many times in updated modules many values have changed and you will get error after error trying to restore it
cyrano is offline   Poland
0
Reply With Quote
      09-24-2013, 06:24 PM   #3
farb
teh Rider!
 
Drives: E92 335xi
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 441
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Not quite, first question is if dealer would update only engine and tranny , if yes ( and this is odd cause their soft usually didnt allowed to update single modules) than your coding is safe, if not and they will update whole car you will loose all settings, and now you have two options :

- Your other modules are quite new so there will be no big update for them , you can restore your coding copy

- Your other modules are quite old and there are many updates for modules you cannot restore your coding cause many times in updated modules many values have changed and you will get error after error trying to restore it
Yes I assume my modules are quite old. I haven't performed an update since 2011. So I'm thinking I can't even simply copy/paste the file. Each line of code and value has to be carefully reviewed and changed in the updated version.
__________________
2008 335xi AW/Black MT
383 awhp/410awtq
Avant Garde M359 l Hankook Ventus V12 l Kw V1 l M3 Front+sides | Mtec Rear | LCI tails l Cobb Stage2+FMIC l AR DP l ER IC l ER CP l Tial BOV | AFE Stage2 DCI
farb is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-24-2013, 06:29 PM   #4
Chris_506
RIP Paul Walker; True Enthusiast
 
Chris_506's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SCar

Posts: 2,462
iTrader: (13)

I don't mean to thread jack(well maybe a little) but how can I get the dealership to do these types of software updates. Mine hasn't been updated since like 08/09 and when I took it in to see if they would do it they looked at me like I was all kinds of crazy. Also what is the cost for such updates?
__________________
Chris_506 is offline   Costa Rica
0
Reply With Quote
      09-24-2013, 09:49 PM   #5
PichaDis11
Captain
 
PichaDis11's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 328i
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NY

Posts: 787
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSRe92 View Post
I don't mean to thread jack(well maybe a little) but how can I get the dealership to do these types of software updates. Mine hasn't been updated since like 08/09 and when I took it in to see if they would do it they looked at me like I was all kinds of crazy. Also what is the cost for such updates?
Stealers will charge an hourly rate. Update as I've read on here takes ~2.5 hrs.. I highly doubt it takes that long but thats what stealers do.. You do the math at stealers rate.
PichaDis11 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #6
Chris_506
RIP Paul Walker; True Enthusiast
 
Chris_506's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SCar

Posts: 2,462
iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PichaDis11 View Post
Stealers will charge an hourly rate. Update as I've read on here takes ~2.5 hrs.. I highly doubt it takes that long but thats what stealers do.. You do the math at stealers rate.
Does it really help anything?
__________________
Chris_506 is offline   Costa Rica
0
Reply With Quote
      09-24-2013, 10:22 PM   #7
PichaDis11
Captain
 
PichaDis11's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 328i
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NY

Posts: 787
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSRe92 View Post
Does it really help anything?
Unless you car is crapping out and you definitely know that it's a software issue then only help there is piece of mind that the car is updated and sgouldn't be an issue future wise. In hindsight, they might not even touch some of the modules in your car just because they don't use them anymore. They were replaced with newer ones with more functionality. Mostly LCI cars would benefit from an update than us pre-lci brethens.

Won't say it wouldn't fix some issues but if your car is fine its like meh.
PichaDis11 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-25-2013, 06:02 AM   #8
cyrano
Banned
 
Drives: E61 530XD chipped
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Poland

Posts: 145
iTrader: (0)

90% of my customers at my workshop and remote customers wants me to do software update , many of them nitice the differences, in Europe dealership cost is about 400-600 $
cyrano is offline   Poland
0
Reply With Quote
      09-25-2013, 07:13 AM   #9
Dracon
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: 2006 330i E90
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Nashville, TN

Posts: 801
iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSRe92 View Post
I don't mean to thread jack(well maybe a little) but how can I get the dealership to do these types of software updates. Mine hasn't been updated since like 08/09 and when I took it in to see if they would do it they looked at me like I was all kinds of crazy. Also what is the cost for such updates?
Most dealerships won't do a software update just because you ask. Mainly because there's always the risk something could fail and render a module completely dead.

Dealerships only usually update software if there is a SIB stating that the fix is an update of the software on the vehicle.
Dracon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-25-2013, 10:57 AM   #10
farb
teh Rider!
 
Drives: E92 335xi
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 441
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracon View Post
Most dealerships won't do a software update just because you ask. Mainly because there's always the risk something could fail and render a module completely dead.

Dealerships only usually update software if there is a SIB stating that the fix is an update of the software on the vehicle.
Really? I always assumed whenever I take my car in for some work (still under CPO), they will perform any outstanding software upgrades for free??!
__________________
2008 335xi AW/Black MT
383 awhp/410awtq
Avant Garde M359 l Hankook Ventus V12 l Kw V1 l M3 Front+sides | Mtec Rear | LCI tails l Cobb Stage2+FMIC l AR DP l ER IC l ER CP l Tial BOV | AFE Stage2 DCI
farb is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-25-2013, 11:21 AM   #11
Dracon
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: 2006 330i E90
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Nashville, TN

Posts: 801
iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by farb View Post
Really? I always assumed whenever I take my car in for some work (still under CPO), they will perform any outstanding software upgrades for free??!
Incorrect, software updates are only done when there's a SIB requiring them to update a module (and therefore the whole car).

If you are under CPO and there's an issue which the SIB states to update the car's software to ISTA/P version X.XX or higher, they will do it under CPO. Or if a part that requires programming is replaced (say like the Combox is bad and needed to be replaced), then they will update the software on the car.

Dealerships don't like to update the software unless it's absolutely required, mainly for the reason I stated earlier. A module could get bricked and then they have to replace it, etc, etc.

If it's warranty work, they can claim the cost on warranty but if it's out-of-warranty, someone is on the hook to pay for the part, either the dealership or the vehicle owner.

It's very much the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. Software updates aren't always good (like the software update that made 335's lose power that wasn't fixed until months later).
Dracon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:03 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST