E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Another Vishnu PWM Meth Review (w/ high Altitude log)

09-03-2011, 01:20 PM   #1
sear
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

Another Vishnu PWM Meth Review (w/ high Altitude log)

Its been covered several times already, so I won't make this overly lengthy.

WOW is really the best way to describe it. Super smooth, yet pulls very hard.

I've got the kit in my FBO 135i.

Since I'm @ 6000+ ft of altitude, I'm only running boost at 50% and IC at 10%
(Note: base atmoshpheric pressure here typically varies from -2.5psi to -3psi, so the turbos are starting well below 0 trying to reach boost targets)

I was running 45% boost before the meth and car was strong, but at higher RPMs it definately pulled much more timing due to higher IATs. With only a slight nudge in boost timing seems to hold much better and IATs definately don't climb quickly like they used to. I suspect I can get some more out of the car if I understand what is ideal for a timing advance curve, but It feels WAY stronger than it did before the PWM kit.

Great job on this kit Vishnu!

Here's one of the first logs I took. I may not be fully adapted yet either, but its the only log with the Meth I've been able to take.

Last edited by sear; 09-03-2011 at 06:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 01:33 PM   #2
The Ghost
Reborn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Can you log meth flow?

It looks like you have a timing drop in the third gear that you logged. Also, your timing values are little lower than I'd expect at 80/20 meth/water (you do have 10% IC which explains some of it). What meth mix are you running?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 03:43 PM   #3
sear
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm running 75/25 meth/distilled water.
I should have meth flow in the vishnu log, just didn't put it on the screen. Will pull that up when I'm back to my laptop.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 04:13 PM   #4
plague
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i sold :( / jb 20th AE

i feel i should mention, if you still have rev 2 procede unit that can be the reason for timing drops. especially in 4th gear. the rev 2.5 and 3 have more fuel resistors for timing etc and this is a problem i was experiencing but still need to log to be sure it has corrected now with rev 2.5.. but it was an issue with another member on here having consistent drops bc of running the old rev 2, upgraded to rev 2.5 and it fixed his issue.

Parts for sale- PWM meth kit, M steering wheel, M shift knob, perforated e brake handle
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 05:36 PM   #5
sear
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by plague View Post
i feel i should mention, if you still have rev 2 procede unit that can be the reason for timing drops. especially in 4th gear. the rev 2.5 and 3 have more fuel resistors for timing etc and this is a problem i was experiencing but still need to log to be sure it has corrected now with rev 2.5.. but it was an issue with another member on here having consistent drops bc of running the old rev 2, upgraded to rev 2.5 and it fixed his issue.

This log is with Rev 2.5

Here is the log with Meth flow shown too...

When I get a chance to log some more, I'll try dropping IC to 0 and see if that helps the drop shown. I've also done a few more pulls since this log was taken and it fells stronger so will have to log some more and see if the timing drop still shows up. Where should I expect timing advance to get to under boost ideally? ~10deg BTDC?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 07:33 PM   #6
plague
Captain
Rep

ideal is to stay above 10 throughout boosting yes. ya do some more logs

Parts for sale- PWM meth kit, M steering wheel, M shift knob, perforated e brake handle
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 12:11 PM   #7
sear
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Day 2 update

Running 50% boost and 0% IC now and traction control was completely off for these runs.

Timing appears to be better, but not sure if if it should be better than this or not. I did a good handfull of pulls between these logs and the first, so it should be adapted.

The car definately feels better than ever

Just wondering if I'm at the edge of too much boost for my altitude or not

Either way, beting a car enthusiest and living at altitude is often a conflict. Its rare to drive or ride in something here that feels fast. This PWM kit has finally put my car in that territory for me.

Here are the two latest logs, I appreciate any thoughts anyone might have on these. Thanks!

Last edited by sear; 09-04-2011 at 12:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 12:40 PM   #8
sear
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

FBO BEFORE PWM dyno

For reference, here is a dyno running 45% boost FBO. Note how steep TQ drops off from 4500RPM, thus leading to a lower peak HP # than would be seen nearer to sea level. I plan to go back to this dyno sometime in the next few weeks to compare with the PWM kit.

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 01:08 PM   #9
plague
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sear View Post
Running 50% boost and 0% IC now and traction control was completely off for these runs.

Timing appears to be better, but not sure if if it should be better than this or not. I did a good handfull of pulls between these logs and the first, so it should be adapted.

The car definately feels better than ever

Just wondering if I'm at the edge of too much boost for my altitude or not

Either way, beting a car enthusiest and living at altitude is often a conflict. Its rare to drive or ride in something here that feels fast. This PWM kit has finally put my car in that territory for me.

Here are the two latest logs, I appreciate any thoughts anyone might have on these. Thanks!

timing looks pretty good, you're falling below ten here and there. its easier to view logs when theyre more spread out like the second one than scrunched as in the first for me.. for future reference. ive yet to go log my car with the rev2.5 which i have now. my timing is basically like yours in my previous logs except im boosting 75%. but apparently the rev2 could be my culprit. i just upped my methanol content and put in the 2.5 so ill have to log soon. the pwm kit shouldnt need bigger meth nozzles.. perhaps it does??? idk

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 01:08 AM   #10
Tzu
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Your timing looks terrible. Drop boost.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 10:02 AM   #11
sear
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzu View Post
Your timing looks terrible. Drop boost.
I suspected that it could be better, but terible @ my altitude is a relative thing. THis is as good as its ever been.

What should the curve look like ideally?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 03:43 PM   #12
Tronner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Subscribed as I will be installing my PWM kit here in Denver in the next few days. Sear, do you know what the correction factor is on those dyno runs? I think Adam typically does 1.15 down there? Did you have them install the kit or do it yourself?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 03:55 PM   #13
sear
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

correction for the dyno above @ revolutions was 1.17 the day I was there. Kit was installed @ home in my garage.

Planning to get back to the dyno as soon as I can be sure my V5 settings are optimized for map 4 in conditions here.

You'll really enjoy the PWM kit when you get it installed.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 11:23 AM   #14
htt760
PROcede it and Call it a DAY
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT, 2011 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by plague View Post
timing looks pretty good, you're falling below ten here and there. its easier to view logs when theyre more spread out like the second one than scrunched as in the first for me.. for future reference. ive yet to go log my car with the rev2.5 which i have now. my timing is basically like yours in my previous logs except im boosting 75%. but apparently the rev2 could be my culprit. i just upped my methanol content and put in the 2.5 so ill have to log soon. the pwm kit shouldnt need bigger meth nozzles.. perhaps it does??? idk
Its seems like in the third gear, during methanol flow it kept getting colder and colder. Very Nice...
Appreciate 0