E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Anyone installed the SSP DCT Clutch Upgrade Kits?

10-25-2012, 05:39 AM   #1
Ramjet
Private
Rep
Drives: z4 35i

Anyone installed the SSP DCT Clutch Upgrade Kits?

I'm looking at a clutch upgrade for my DCT and am looking for advice from those running the SSP clutch disks in their DCT - particularly on any change in feeling of the car during shifts?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 09:35 AM   #2
CSL335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i with some mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramjet View Post
I'm looking at a clutch upgrade for my DCT and am looking for advice from those running the SSP clutch disks in their DCT - particularly on any change in feeling of the car during shifts?
I have also purchased the 700HP Pack to my n54 DCT. I am rebuilding my egnine, will have two inhouse developed single-scroll Garett hybrid turbo with two custom made manifolds (we do not use any part of the factory turbos), and many-many other modifications such strenghten the DCT with SSP clucth.

I saw in a SSP Clucth related topic, that SSP will have or has a new clucth pack, which wont't be so agressive (ie. i dont track my car and dont launch the car) than the 700HP clucth pack. Somebody says, that replacing the clutch pack is not enough, the DCT Mechantroics software should be modified as well (where you use higher clucth pressure).

I e-mailed my concering questions to SSP, who informed me, that maybe no modification required in the software and the new not so agressive clucth pack is under testing, but they will exchange my never used 700HP pack into the new pack. I am rebuilding my engine at this moment, DCT will be modified during january and february, therefore i still have time to exhange the packs and figure out the DCT software upgrade.

Any member, who has such experince?

Best regards, Laszlo
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #3
rismo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335

Im on the same page. What I have learned from the regular AT, adjusting only physical aspects of an automated gearbox might result in sub optimal configuration with possible unwanted sideeffects (short life of certain parts or unwanted gearbox behaviour).

Im currently focussing on the German tuner companies to see If anyone out there is able to provide a mechantronich flash or adjustments for high torque application.
Im pretty sure that there are more DCT `tuners` then AT `tuners`. Not even sure if the DCT mechanotronic has already been `hacked`... lets keep eachother posted.
BMW 335 E92 09 - Full options - DKG - Procede Rev 3 - Vishnu Meth and Chargepipe - Forge Diverter Valves - Vishnu Flex Fuel Kit- AR Catless DP - Afe Intake - Helix IC - Ar Oil Cooler - PPK Water Cooler - M3 Suspension - JRZ RS1 Shocks - Eibach Pro Springs - Drexler LSD - BMW IS Exhaust - EBC Yellow Brake Pads - Stainless Steel Brake Lines - M101 Wheels - Michelin PSS - M-Tech Body - M-Strutbar
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
Ramjet
Private
Rep
Drives: z4 35i

Great to find others that are looking into this! Please post if you find anything new, especially regarding a mechanotronic flash!!

I have also spoken to SSP and they advised of their new range of clutch packs due out later this month - I'll wait for these. Still looking for more info on software updates.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 08:26 PM   #5
MiamiM3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90 AT M-Sport

Have you contacted ESS Tuning to see if they have the capablities of reprogramming the N54 DCT?

http://www.esstuning.com/products/E9...-Software.html
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 09:00 PM   #6
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [3.75]
The SSP Clutches haven't been successfully installed to date. If you you read Drew (DLSJ5) who has the ESS low-compression S65 M3, he tried the SSP clutches & the software was completely unresponsive to the point where he was forced to buy a second DCT to install into the car. The "hurdle" is reprogramming the DCT to accept the thicker, kevlar clutches and grip them differently.

As of right now, staying OEM with DCT parts is really the only successful option. As for the AT, enrita is currently running the Level10 Trans upgrade + his car spends time on the Nurburgring (so it's being properly abused).
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:41 AM   #7
Agent_Orange
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Bump.. This still the case.. No upgrade option?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:44 PM   #8
rooringhusky
Objects in the mirror are losing
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E92 AW/CR 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_Orange View Post
Bump.. This still the case.. No upgrade option?
Lookup the Dodson DCT Clutch Packs - have been successful on DCT M3s. No real N54s have done the upgrade yet from what I know.
      Yesterday, 11:08 PM   #9
_ink
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i 09' DCT M-Sport

There is an option available that has been tested and is in use..

http://dodsonmo.nextmp.net/bmw.html

The member has written a very detail review on the n54 tech forums, as well as driving impressions ppre/post logs on shift points to demonstrate the benefits.