E90Post
 


GTB Performance
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Ohlins DFV Road and Track Coilovers BMW E9x 325i 328i 330i 335d 335i



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-10-2011, 05:37 PM   #23
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
75
Rep
6,775
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (4)

^Oh ok.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 07:06 PM   #24
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
badass335's Avatar
Canada
33
Rep
1,815
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i E90 AT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Surrey, BC

iTrader: (10)

I'm running 400/800 on these. Car runs and handles like a dream! I do have the m3 bushings, arms etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 07:07 PM   #25
Mallard
4 pot warrior
Mallard's Avatar
No_Country
14
Rep
1,307
Posts

 
Drives: E90 318I
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: DENMARK

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 e90  [5.00]
fark, they are nice
__________________

Been there, done that, wanna do it again
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 09:05 PM   #26
jlh335i
Private First Class
2
Rep
114
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: CO

iTrader: (0)

Motion, I think the $570 for the swift spring conversion includes re valving the rear shocks for the increased spring rate... I dont think it would be ideal to almost double the spring rate on a damper.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 09:54 PM   #27
cvc 22349a
Colonel
cvc 22349a's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
2,266
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SF Bay

iTrader: (8)

^ I doubt it but would like to hear the answer to that.
__________________
2007 E90 335i, TiAg, 6AT, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, 6FL, HD
Quaife lsd, ETS fmic, GIAC s/w, Dinan intake/exhaust/oc, KW/M3 susp, Apex Arc 8, Mich PSS
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 09:56 PM   #28
cvc 22349a
Colonel
cvc 22349a's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
2,266
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SF Bay

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by badass335 View Post
I'm running 400/800 on these. Car runs and handles like a dream! I do have the m3 bushings, arms etc.
So, it's not to choppy at slow speeds? Were the dampers revalved for higher spring rates or did you just ditch the Ohlins springs?
__________________
2007 E90 335i, TiAg, 6AT, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, 6FL, HD
Quaife lsd, ETS fmic, GIAC s/w, Dinan intake/exhaust/oc, KW/M3 susp, Apex Arc 8, Mich PSS
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 01:11 AM   #29
z4mman
Building BMW's since 2008
z4mman's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
56
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 135i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: santa cruz, ca

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Yahoo to z4mman
I just had Harold install these coilovers on my 135i wednesday, and im very impressed with the handling increase and ride quality, the car is extremely more settled in hard turns and everyday driving is virtually unaffected. Im coming from r35 GTR's and e92 m3's, both modified for track use, my m3 running moton race shocks and my GTR running v3's and these ohlins are just as good as both and cost half as much as my motons . All in all im super happy, the car was quite sluggish stock and now it handles on par with a m3 but there is still more room for improvements, such as the m3 bits and some sway bars. I look forward to working with Harold again in the future. HP autowerks was super impressive with the work they did and i have no compaints except with the fitment of the icarbon hood but that has no relation to HP autowerks or this thread, thank you Harold from one shop owner to another i was very impressed i needed some input on this car as im not familiar to non m bmw's and he was super insightful.
__________________
Bimmerman
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 01:30 AM   #30
jlh335i
Private First Class
2
Rep
114
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: CO

iTrader: (0)

cvc,
I could be wrong ofcourse since i havent confirmed. But by logic, doubling the spring rate on a damper would greatly decrease damper life. This is why we can't just add significantly stiffer springs to OE dampers.

Likewise, on hpashop.com, the swift springs are $100 each. So that leaves $170... I would assume that would be labor to re valve or labor to install the swifts?

Harold, care to confirm/deny? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 01:37 AM   #31
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
75
Rep
6,775
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh335i View Post
cvc,
I could be wrong ofcourse since i havent confirmed. But by logic, doubling the spring rate on a damper would greatly decrease damper life. This is why we can't just add significantly stiffer springs to OE dampers.

Likewise, on hpashop.com, the swift springs are $100 each. So that leaves $170... I would assume that would be labor to re valve or labor to install the swifts?

Harold, care to confirm/deny? Thanks
Maybe the additional cost is for the thrust sheets?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 01:44 AM   #32
jlh335i
Private First Class
2
Rep
114
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: CO

iTrader: (0)

Harold said he'd toss that in with the swift upgrade on pg1. Either way im curious to know. I don't think I would feel comfortable doubling up on the same damper..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 11:08 AM   #33
cvc 22349a
Colonel
cvc 22349a's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
2,266
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SF Bay

iTrader: (8)

^ I agree; that's why I posed the question about the rear dampers. Harold and Motion: I apologize if I'm asking redundant questions; it's still not clear to me if the rear dampers were valved for 400 lb springs by Ohlins and if they can dampen a 672 lb spring effectively and for what period of time w/o being revalved? I only give a s..t because I'm interested in the claim of improved handling dynamics while maintaining ride comfort.
__________________
2007 E90 335i, TiAg, 6AT, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, 6FL, HD
Quaife lsd, ETS fmic, GIAC s/w, Dinan intake/exhaust/oc, KW/M3 susp, Apex Arc 8, Mich PSS
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 11:10 AM   #34
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Alpina_B3_Lux's Avatar
Germany
63
Rep
2,451
Posts

 
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330d E91 LCI
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 335i  [4.39]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
That was the springs came with the Ohlins R&T kit. 6kg front and 7kg rear. In this particular setup on a 135i we went with 6kg front and 12kg rear.
Could you elaborate a bit on as to why the rear spring rate was increased so much (i.e. doubled from the OE settings)? If I understand it correctly (but feel free to correct), that means you run double the stiffness in the rear than the original Öhlins came with. Does this not affect the ride quality in a negative fashion?

And: What would be your recommendation for a 335i (which is slightly heavier than a 135i) for street and moderate track use?

I'm very interested in this, as I'm not so happy with my current Bilstein coilover.

Alpina_B3_Lux
__________________
Audi R8 V10; sold: BMW 335i
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 12:03 PM   #35
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
418
Rep
11,446
Posts


 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post
Could you elaborate a bit on as to why the rear spring rate was increased so much (i.e. doubled from the OE settings)? If I understand it correctly (but feel free to correct), that means you run double the stiffness in the rear than the original Öhlins came with. Does this not affect the ride quality in a negative fashion?

And: What would be your recommendation for a 335i (which is slightly heavier than a 135i) for street and moderate track use?

I'm very interested in this, as I'm not so happy with my current Bilstein coilover.

Alpina_B3_Lux
It has to be with the motion ratio of the spring. It sits much further inboard than the front springs.

400F and 800R would be a typical dual purpose setup, but that will depend on your particular needs and suspension setup.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 12:18 PM   #36
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Alpina_B3_Lux's Avatar
Germany
63
Rep
2,451
Posts

 
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330d E91 LCI
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 335i  [4.39]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
It has to be with the motion ratio of the spring. It sits much further inboard than the front springs.

400F and 800R would be a typical dual purpose setup, but that will depend on your particular needs and suspension setup.
Currently my impression is that the rear end is too soft, which is why what you say makes sense to me.

400 / 800 converted to metric would be 7kg / 14kg if I'm not mistaken.

Important for me - as the 335i is my daily driver - is to retain a good ride quality (no filler removal...) while still having good handling and control on the track. As I drive mainly on the Nordschleife at the Nürburgring, a hard setup is counterproductive anyway as it would make the car bounce too much on that bumpy track. Which is why I would probably tend to slightly softer settings, but if you think that the 400 / 800 combination is good for that purpose too, that may be a good start.

I assume that the dampers would have to be revalved for this custom spring rate?

Alpina_B3_Lux
__________________
Audi R8 V10; sold: BMW 335i
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 03:55 PM   #37
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
36
Rep
3,398
Posts

 
Drives: 1.9L of fury
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (4)

Aren't these double adjustable? with a double adjustable damper, you can change the compression damping separate from rebound, which will effect how the car reacts to the spring rate. So having a 400lb spring on the rear isn't going to be as much of a detriment in a track setting because you can crank up the compression damping.

Most coilovers adjust rebound only, so you have to do all your compression tuning with spring rate.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 07:17 PM   #38
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
418
Rep
11,446
Posts


 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
Aren't these double adjustable? with a double adjustable damper, you can change the compression damping separate from rebound, which will effect how the car reacts to the spring rate. So having a 400lb spring on the rear isn't going to be as much of a detriment in a track setting because you can crank up the compression damping.

Most coilovers adjust rebound only, so you have to do all your compression tuning with spring rate.
Not individually. LSC is adjusted at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 02:53 AM   #39
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Alpina_B3_Lux's Avatar
Germany
63
Rep
2,451
Posts

 
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330d E91 LCI
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 335i  [4.39]
Great thread here. Looking forward to more in-depth reviews of the Öhlins coilover.

Alpina_B3_Lux
__________________
Audi R8 V10; sold: BMW 335i
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 06:33 AM   #40
enrita
Major General
enrita's Avatar
Sweden
92
Rep
7,331
Posts

 
Drives: 335i - Big turbos
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Italian in Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post
Currently my impression is that the rear end is too soft, which is why what you say makes sense to me.

400 / 800 converted to metric would be 7kg / 14kg if I'm not mistaken.

Important for me - as the 335i is my daily driver - is to retain a good ride quality (no filler removal...) while still having good handling and control on the track. As I drive mainly on the Nordschleife at the Nürburgring, a hard setup is counterproductive anyway as it would make the car bounce too much on that bumpy track. Which is why I would probably tend to slightly softer settings, but if you think that the 400 / 800 combination is good for that purpose too, that may be a good start.

I assume that the dampers would have to be revalved for this custom spring rate?

Alpina_B3_Lux
i agree with you. i am also not very happy with the bilstein pss10 and as you state the rear is too soft even on max settings.
Harold you got mail ! Maybe harder springs will improve my setup .
__________________
07 335i AT - TD St.2 Turbos - COBB (Custom Cobb mapping by http://www.protuningfreaks.com/) - JB4G5 ISO - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - E85 Walbro - Injen Intake - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - AR DPs - midpipes 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - Level 10 AT upgrade - Alpina AT Flash
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 11:33 AM   #41
Toshi
Private First Class
Japan
4
Rep
169
Posts

 
Drives: ALPINA B4 BiTurbo Coupe (F32)
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tokyo, Japan

iTrader: (1)

Maybe you guys would be interested in my old post;

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=470893

Ohlins itself is Swedish brand but DFV technology was developed by Ohlins Japan.
Mine was specially customized at Ohlins Laboratory in Tokyo and it has 10kgf spring in front, 12kgf in rear.
__________________

[Current] 2014 ALPINA B4 BiTurbo Coupe (F32)
[Previous] 2008 335i Coupe M-Sport (E92)
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 10:39 PM   #42
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
badass335's Avatar
Canada
33
Rep
1,815
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i E90 AT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Surrey, BC

iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc 22349a View Post
So, it's not to choppy at slow speeds? Were the dampers revalved for higher spring rates or did you just ditch the Ohlins springs?
Not choppy at all. My mini Cooper s has a firmer ride on it's stock setup! Also I went with swift springs and talk to olhin USA and revalving was not required. I have the stock olhin springs sitting in storage!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 11:39 AM   #43
ciomas
Captain
ciomas's Avatar
Poland
11
Rep
672
Posts

 
Drives: M4
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: 3city PL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Did you go up or down on springs rates compare to the Ohlins supplied springs? And what made you go that route?
Id be very interested as well.

Ive done around 6k kilometers over last 3 months on the Ohlins setup. 5 of which Ive done in 10 days across Europe - mountain passes mostly but also The Ring. Im very happy to see Harold mating them with Swifts as we spoke about this before I made my purchase and was hoping to do it one day I'm waiting for some feedback guys! Overall it is a brilliant setup! In my opinion it is a different league than the Bilsteins - tried them both. I will try to sit down a write a proper review on the weekend as over those months I had a chance to push it in various conditions

If I was to put it in a few words only Id say the biggest improvements are: much higher ride comfort than the m-sport, the previously bouncy and unpredictable rear now performs the way it is supposed to (no subframe bushing upgrade yet), tons of grip, reduction in body roll is much higher than I ever expected without anti roll bar upgrade and braking on poor surface is highly improved
__________________
335 - Öhlins//Swift//M3 front suspension//M3 subframe bushes//Quaife LSD//AR Design Catless//Forge Intercooler//Alcon BBK//Goodridge//AFE//RPI//Fenders - SOLD
M4-Mineral Gray/Full Shakir Orange/DCT/M Ceramic/M Adaptive Susp.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 06:11 PM   #44
cvc 22349a
Colonel
cvc 22349a's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
2,266
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SF Bay

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by badass335 View Post
Not choppy at all. My mini Cooper s has a firmer ride on it's stock setup! Also I went with swift springs and talk to olhin USA and revalving was not required. I have the stock olhin springs sitting in storage!
Good to hear. I was just up in Van. over labor day weekend; wish I could have taken a ride in your car Which swift spring rates did you install/any M3 bushings/control arms?
__________________
2007 E90 335i, TiAg, 6AT, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, 6FL, HD
Quaife lsd, ETS fmic, GIAC s/w, Dinan intake/exhaust/oc, KW/M3 susp, Apex Arc 8, Mich PSS
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST