E90Post

VIBE Motorsports

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Sway bar talk. Rear sway necessary?

05-19-2007, 01:29 AM   #23
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.

Drives: 2012 E92 M3 JTBLK ZCP

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Yahoo to SROC3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh View Post
Im looking into purchasing a rear sway bar. I thought it only makes big differences in japanese cars, but after seeing stock rear sway bar specs for our E90s, I now think I really need one. 13mm is not gonna cut it. H&R's 20mm sounds much better.

Question is, is it really worth it? I did a research and most people liked it.

Can you guys help me list pros/cons of thicker rear sway bar?

Pros:
-More towards neutral steering
-Less body roll(?)
-tighter rear end feeling, but tail could slide out easier.

Cons:
-Slightly harsh ride feeling over stock

What else?
your description above pretty much says it all. I suggest the rear sway only. best way to go. then if you feel you need the front, you can always add it later. i have the rear sway - its awesome. now my car is point-and-shoot when I turn. Go get it.
Red Extended Leather/6MT | Comp Package - RETIRED
(Impulse Buy Date - 11/22/06) 335i E92/Space Grey/ Red Leather/6MT - RETIRED
SROC3 is offline   United_States
      05-19-2007, 10:46 AM   #24
montreal_bimmer
Major General

Drives: E90 AW

Garage List
2006 325i  [5.00]
i want one sooo bad, but its the install that im worried about....
montreal_bimmer is offline   Italy
      05-19-2007, 11:04 PM   #25
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal

Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Crazy Bimmer
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ight=UUC+sways

Any buy the UUC sways yet?
      05-20-2007, 12:06 AM   #26
cupspeed
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E90 M3

Install is not too bad for the rear. Definitely worth it.
      05-23-2007, 09:11 PM   #27
lee71

Drives: Black Metallic 335i sedan

Who did your work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwest888 View Post
It will wear out your suspension faster, but I'd categorize this under cost.

I have the H&R front and rear, plus coilovers. It really focuses and sharpens the car. There's nothing not to like, really. If it makes your choice any easier, I was only intending to do the swaybars at first and got lured into the PSS9 a few months later.

Where did you get your suspension upgrades done? How much was the labor? I live in Alexandria and have been considering Curry's Automotive in Falls Church but if you know a trusted mechanic who can do it cheaper...I'm all ears.

Lee
      08-13-2011, 03:07 PM   #28
sktboardkd
Registered

Drives: 2010 BMW E92 335i

Smile H&R 20mm sway bar install

I just ordered the H&R sway bar #71490. I called my dealer, Habberstad BMW and they say it only takes an hour to install the rear sway bar on a E92 335i. It's only going to cost $135 so not so bad.
      08-13-2011, 04:47 PM   #29
sle39lvr
Lieutenant

Drives: 08 328i

Biemdreamer:

Rear Sway: which H&R rear sway is that? So you replaced the stock rear sway with this H&R? Was it hard to install it?
      08-13-2011, 09:18 PM   #30
brocklanders
Captain

Drives: the uno, mineral white

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
i didnt see anyone mention the subframe bushings, if anyone is going to put in a rear sway you should get the m subframe bushings as well.
      08-13-2011, 09:26 PM   #31
mave198
Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Ive read without a lsd,traction becomes a problem when installing a rear sway.

Any comments?
      08-13-2011, 11:06 PM   #32
tibra1
Banned

Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh View Post
Im looking into purchasing a rear sway bar. I thought it only makes big differences in japanese cars, but after seeing stock rear sway bar specs for our E90s, I now think I really need one. 13mm is not gonna cut it. H&R's 20mm sounds much better.

Question is, is it really worth it? I did a research and most people liked it.

Can you guys help me list pros/cons of thicker rear sway bar?

Pros:
-More towards neutral steering
-Less body roll(?)
-tighter rear end feeling, but tail could slide out easier.

Cons:
-Slightly harsh ride feeling over stock

What else?
M3 sways are the way to go IMO..better bushings ..hollow bar but you dont have to worry about noise and lubrication as you do w aftermarket sways

As u pointed out..that 13mm sway in the rear is tiny.
tibra1 is offline   No_Country
      08-13-2011, 11:22 PM   #33
cstmx_ryder
Colonel

Drives: A metal box with a roundel

Send a message via AIM to cstmx_ryder Send a message via MSN to cstmx_ryder
Will upgrading rear sways from the ZSP make THAT big of a difference?

I'm not sure about that. I thought you'll only feel the difference in the rear sways only when you push the car close to its limits, which 70-80% of us owning 335s with ZSP will probably never do......?

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
cstmx_ryder is offline   United_States
      08-13-2011, 11:39 PM   #34
jon328i
Wheelmaster

Drives: E90 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mave198 View Post
Ive read without a lsd,traction becomes a problem when installing a rear sway.

Any comments?
Harold at HPA told me this same scenario when doing a thicker rear sway bar, that's why i only installed the koni sport rear shocks and M-upper control arms/guide rods for now.
jon328i is offline   United_States
      08-13-2011, 11:49 PM   #35
cstmx_ryder
Colonel

^^ I would like to hear what the experts' explanation on this issue.....Not doubting anyone, just would like to learn for myself and maybe others as well.....

TIA

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
      08-14-2011, 03:28 AM   #36
rudypoochris
Private

Drives: 08 E92/72 Datsun 240z

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmx_ryder View Post
^^ I would like to hear what the experts' explanation on this issue.....Not doubting anyone, just would like to learn for myself and maybe others as well.....

TIA
I am no expert but I would imagine that during cornering the outside wheel will pull the inside wheel up more readily with a stiffer rear bar. This lifts the inside wheel reducing the amount of power you can put down.

The 335i stock really needs an LSD, I could see how this could make it worse.
      08-14-2011, 10:30 AM   #37
tunachris
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2010 E92

Garage List
2010 E92  [0.00]
I started my suspension mods with KW coil-overs. Was thinking about a beefier rear sway bar from the start. After I did the KW's, the car was a lot flatter in the turns and I was very happy with the improvement.

When I started to look into a thicker rear sway bar, a lot of feedback addressed the issue of rear axle hop which could be an issue regarding getting the power to the ground coming out of turns with the power on. I also started to get a feeling that stiffening the rear end in this manner might cause the car to break loose very quickly, with little or no warning.

After a lot of research, I decided that before I did any other suspension work I needed to change the open differential to a limited-slip differential. This it seemed was going to allow any increased traction gains to be fully realized.

I spoke to Harold at HP Autowerks in May and he sat down and discussed with me the pros and cons of the Quaife and Wavetrac diffs. At that point I knew I wanted to change the diff. but needed to consider the cost and potentials gains.

Was thinking of the Wavetrac with lower gearing, but it was going to be at least $1,000.00 over the Quaife. I ended up going with the Quaife LSD, and called Harold to set up an appointment.

The change was done about a month ago, and I am very pleased with the change, and the quality service I received at HP Autowerks. I took the long way home from Santa Barbara through the back roads, and on the way I pulled over for a minute between Santa Paula and Moorpark. A guy in a new M3 passed by and then pulled over. When I started back up, he pulled out in front of me and I followed him through the twisties for about 8-10 miles.

Don't know if I would have been able to beat him, but I stayed on his tail the whole way easily. He pulled over outside Moorpark, and we talked for a while. I think he was surprised that a "lowly" 335 was able to keep up with him!

I am not sure if I am going to bother with a sway bar at this point. It is a lot of labor to install, and the coil-overs and LSD have transformed the car. I have not had the traction contral lights come on once in the month since I have had the Quaife LSD installed. It is going to be interestoing to seee how the diff. performs on a wet road.
tunachris is offline   United_States
      08-14-2011, 02:36 PM   #38
rudypoochris
Private

Drives: 08 E92/72 Datsun 240z

I was under the impression the Wavetrac was cheaper because you can retrofit your original diff with out getting a whole new pumpkin. Is this wrong? How much total did you pay to get the Quaife in? I would prefer a Quaife over a Wavetrac, especially if it was cheaper.
      08-14-2011, 09:52 PM   #39
cstmx_ryder
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunachris View Post
I started my suspension mods with KW coil-overs. Was thinking about a beefier rear sway bar from the start. After I did the KW's, the car was a lot flatter in the turns and I was very happy with the improvement.

When I started to look into a thicker rear sway bar, a lot of feedback addressed the issue of rear axle hop which could be an issue regarding getting the power to the ground coming out of turns with the power on. I also started to get a feeling that stiffening the rear end in this manner might cause the car to break loose very quickly, with little or no warning.

After a lot of research, I decided that before I did any other suspension work I needed to change the open differential to a limited-slip differential. This it seemed was going to allow any increased traction gains to be fully realized.

I spoke to Harold at HP Autowerks in May and he sat down and discussed with me the pros and cons of the Quaife and Wavetrac diffs. At that point I knew I wanted to change the diff. but needed to consider the cost and potentials gains.

Was thinking of the Wavetrac with lower gearing, but it was going to be at least $1,000.00 over the Quaife. I ended up going with the Quaife LSD, and called Harold to set up an appointment.

The change was done about a month ago, and I am very pleased with the change, and the quality service I received at HP Autowerks. I took the long way home from Santa Barbara through the back roads, and on the way I pulled over for a minute between Santa Paula and Moorpark. A guy in a new M3 passed by and then pulled over. When I started back up, he pulled out in front of me and I followed him through the twisties for about 8-10 miles.

Don't know if I would have been able to beat him, but I stayed on his tail the whole way easily. He pulled over outside Moorpark, and we talked for a while. I think he was surprised that a "lowly" 335 was able to keep up with him!

I am not sure if I am going to bother with a sway bar at this point. It is a lot of labor to install, and the coil-overs and LSD have transformed the car. I have not had the traction contral lights come on once in the month since I have had the Quaife LSD installed. It is going to be interestoing to seee how the diff. performs on a wet road.
What does having lower gearing mean? What does it do versus NOT having lower gearing? Please explain.....This is the part I don't understand, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudypoochris View Post
I was under the impression the Wavetrac was cheaper because you can retrofit your original diff with out getting a whole new pumpkin. Is this wrong? How much total did you pay to get the Quaife in? I would prefer a Quaife over a Wavetrac, especially if it was cheaper.
From my understanding, the retro-fitting or replacing the whole pumpkin has to do with the production year/month of the car, and not the brand of LSD....Correct me if I'm wrong.

'08 AW E90 335i
      08-15-2011, 10:42 AM   #40
Green-Eggs
Captain

Drives: BMW

Rear sway bars work great. Look for the stock one, it's laughable.

Subframe has to be dropped so really surprised if the dealer can get it done in 1 hour
      08-15-2011, 09:05 PM   #41
tunachris
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2010 E92

Garage List
2010 E92  [0.00]
Stock gearing is 3.08, the Wavetrac is available with 3.48 gearing I believe? Costs quite a bit more. Cost installed was around 3K for the Quaife.

Lower gearing would give better acceleration at the expense of lower top speeds in each gear, and lower overall mileage.
tunachris is offline   United_States