E90Post

PYSPEED

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Code single rear fog light?

09-27-2011, 10:28 PM   #1
krhodes1
Captain

Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
Code single rear fog light?

I just installed the European light switch that I picked up on my delivery trip. Works as advertised, now have two rear fog lights and the icon on the panel. But I am wondering if it is possible to have the more usual single rear fog light on the driver's side rather than both? Can this be coded? Some countries only allow (and require) one rear fog light, so it seems likely.

I am awaiting the arrival of my coding cable from China, can't wait to start playing with this stuff! So much nicer than my '08 Saab 9-3SC where changing ANYTHING required a $2500 dealer handheld computer and a security access subscription to the mothership. Even things that we can change in the OBC on a 3-series! And God-forbid you want the DRLs turned off.
      09-28-2011, 01:07 AM   #2
Peertwelve
First Lieutenant

Drives: Silverstone Metalic E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by krhodes1 View Post
I just installed the European light switch that I picked up on my delivery trip. Works as advertised, now have two rear fog lights and the icon on the panel. But I am wondering if it is possible to have the more usual single rear fog light on the driver's side rather than both? Can this be coded? Some countries only allow (and require) one rear fog light, so it seems likely.

I am awaiting the arrival of my coding cable from China, can't wait to start playing with this stuff! So much nicer than my '08 Saab 9-3SC where changing ANYTHING required a $2500 dealer handheld computer and a security access subscription to the mothership. Even things that we can change in the OBC on a 3-series! And God-forbid you want the DRLs turned off.
It may be more possible on the BMW platform, but one wrong move with the coding tools could result in another $2500 visit to the dealer! Ask me how I know . This forum is a great resource. Re the euro fog lights, Have you checked the Google doc yet?
Peertwelve is offline   United_States
      09-28-2011, 01:15 AM   #3
Peertwelve
First Lieutenant

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [3.50]
Cheap solution

Now that I think of it, you could accomplish your goal by removing the rear passenger foglight bulb. Then with your OBD cable disable the warm and cold bulb checks for that light.

Search the NFRM module for the Bulb Checking parameters. Good luck!
      09-28-2011, 07:35 AM   #4
wrickem
doesn't really care

Drives: what he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peertwelve View Post
Now that I think of it, you could accomplish your goal by removing the rear passenger foglight bulb. Then with your OBD cable disable the warm and cold bulb checks for that light.

Search the NFRM module for the Bulb Checking parameters. Good luck!
If you don't mind losing the adaptive brakelight function on both lights.
      09-28-2011, 12:43 PM   #5
krhodes1
Captain

Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
Quote:
It may be more possible on the BMW platform, but one wrong move with the coding tools could result in another $2500 visit to the dealer! Ask me how I know . This forum is a great resource. Re the euro fog lights, Have you checked the Google doc yet?
I do plan to be very, very careful of course. I did look at the Google doc and did not see it. But folks seem to find new things all the time.

I don't want to just remove a bulb - I would lose the adaptive brake lights - and aren't they LEDs anyway?
      09-28-2011, 03:10 PM   #6
nomis_nehc
Banned

Drives: BMW E60

For the rear lights, you can't just take out a bulb and disable the checks and expect it to be good. There seems to be redundant check somewhere that still looks for current draw. Basically, the above idea will not work unless you physically modify the contacts in some way.
nomis_nehc is offline   United_States
      09-28-2011, 06:29 PM   #7
Peertwelve
First Lieutenant

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomis_nehc View Post
For the rear lights, you can't just take out a bulb and disable the checks and expect it to be good. There seems to be redundant check somewhere that still looks for current draw. Basically, the above idea will not work unless you physically modify the contacts in some way.
Sorry for the bad info
      09-28-2011, 07:24 PM   #8
Elliott@DetailAddict
Brigadier General

Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomis_nehc View Post
Quote:
Sorry for the bad info
Actually you could take it out and turn off the error reporting for it but I would never recommend that and would rather see a coding solution than a bootleg fix
Elliott@DetailAddict is offline   United_States