E90Post

MINHS Auto Care Center

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Brake Bleed/Flush question

10-09-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
mmurray
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: E90 330xi

Brake Bleed/Flush question

Swapped out my brake fluid for the first time myself last night (quite the learning experience). I followed a few DIY threads and the Bavauto how-to video, and despite a few spills it all went pretty smoothly.

Pulled through a little over a liter of RBF600 (did extra to be safe because the color was similar to the existing gold), and topped off the reservoir. I closed everything up and went out to test the brakes, but under hard braking my ABS seemed to kick in a little sooner than usual when really standing on the pedal from 60 down. Is this normal? It seemed more aggressive than I'd ever experienced before - ABS doesn't even activate during autoX for me. The pedal is firm when pumped, but the hard bite isn't instant (I'm on aging pads/rotors). Am I just crazy/ testing too hard?

PS - just for the record my bleeder nipple sizes were 9/10mm Rear/Front as opposed to the 7/8mm indicated in the how-tos. Are they replacement?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #2
cleex024
Major
Rep

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

just keep driving on it and see if it goes away...for me the pedal seemed a little limp but got better as i drove on it more...different fluids have different characteristics. If it continues try to bleed again...doesnt cost too much to do it again and now that you have done it before you should be able to do it much faster today.

also you didnt run the whole setup dry first right? when bleeding all you wanna do is empty the reservoir then put in new fluid...dont run it dry first completely then fill.
Space Gray l 6MT l OSG LSD w/ VAC Race Diff Cover l Cobb e30 l Morr vs8.2 l UUC SSK w/ DSSR l VSRF Catless Dps l RPI Intercooler l CDV Removed l HID AE 8000k l ETS Catback l AST 5200 w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates l ER Dual Oil Coolers l Rear Camber and Toe Arms l K&N Drop In l Solid Tranny/Diff/Subframe Bushings l Bridgestone RE-11
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #3
mmurray
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah I went out at lunch and it seemed to feel a little better although I didn't get a chance to test too hard. I didn't run dry - flushed through and replaced last night (although I wish the colors were more contrasting and Blue wasn't recalled - I was contrasting Pale with Pils in the dark!).

I'm gonna give it some time though - I have to imagine that this Motul racing stuff is a tiny bit different than pedestrian OEM fluid.
      10-09-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
therealm3
Major
Rep

Drives: F30 335 Msport, E70 35i

Probably just had old fluid in there and now it is working as it should. Usually when someone messes up bleeding you get extra air in the lines and the pedal is mushy and won't create enough pressure to stop quickly.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 09:25 PM   #5
NC335newbie
Registered
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i sedan

9mm rear brake bleeder and 11 mm front brake bleeder

Hey mmurray,
Saw your post about the different size brake bleeder valves. I did my brake fluid flush and bleed my brakes today. I have a 2007 335i sedan. I read in different posts that the bleeder valve was 7 mm. After going to Autozone about 3 different times to get a 7mm, then 8 mm and then finally just bought a whole da*n set of small metric wrenches(my old set only has a 10 mm as the smallest wrench).

I'm glad I bought a complete set. Funny how the rear brake bleeder valve nut is 9 mm and the front brake bleeder valve nut is 11 mm. Do you know if this is suppose to be like this? My old Nissan maxima just had 10 mm brake bleeder valve nuts all away around(front and back).

I was thinking about changing to Speed Bleeder valves to make the process smoother the next time. But now that I know the valves are different sizes on the front vs the rear, that probably means I have to buy different size valves for the front and the rear.

I wonder if the size of the bleeder valve is different based on the model vs year vs type(coupe vs sedan vs convertible)?

NC335neewbie
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 04:50 PM   #6
mmurray
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC335newbie View Post
Hey mmurray,
Saw your post about the different size brake bleeder valves. I did my brake fluid flush and bleed my brakes today. I have a 2007 335i sedan. I read in different posts that the bleeder valve was 7 mm. After going to Autozone about 3 different times to get a 7mm, then 8 mm and then finally just bought a whole da*n set of small metric wrenches(my old set only has a 10 mm as the smallest wrench).

I'm glad I bought a complete set. Funny how the rear brake bleeder valve nut is 9 mm and the front brake bleeder valve nut is 11 mm. Do you know if this is suppose to be like this? My old Nissan maxima just had 10 mm brake bleeder valve nuts all away around(front and back).

I was thinking about changing to Speed Bleeder valves to make the process smoother the next time. But now that I know the valves are different sizes on the front vs the rear, that probably means I have to buy different size valves for the front and the rear.

I wonder if the size of the bleeder valve is different based on the model vs year vs type(coupe vs sedan vs convertible)?

NC335neewbie
Not sure what they implications are for speed bleeder setup... if you find out, let me know because I was thinking of doing the same.

As for the reasoning behind the different sizes, I can only imagine there is some minor advantage gained by engineering them that way (typical German approach), while the Japanese matched set was all about production efficiency. Just noted the size difference as I was similarly surprised; luckily I had a full set to make it work!