E90Post

VIBE Motorsports

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Hardwire a Speed Camera Detector

05-14-2007, 11:07 AM   #23
mjh93sa
Major General

Drives: M135i

Garage List
Not aware of anything like that for the TomTom.

I have now proven that the friction mount is not fool proof. It's ok for maximum braking and cornering, but if you launch hard from just over 2k revs you can get it fly off the dashboard and onto the gearstick

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman
Now: M135i with lots of toys
mjh93sa is offline   England
      05-14-2007, 12:07 PM   #24
NFS
Major General

Drives: 335i m-sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbmwz3 View Post
....Whilst also potentially revealing to any passing criminals (due to its apparently permanant nature) that you may have a satnav locked in your glove box though !?

On this subject, my father in law is well chuffed with his Tom Tom but wants it on the dash of his Civic rather than on the windscreen - I can't find anything like that non marking thing that Matt posted about above but something like that for a Tom Tom one would be ideal - anyone aware of anything like it?

Also, everyone seems to want to charge for speed camera databases for Tom Tom - anyone aware of a 'free' one?
The proclip mount I had was for a pda, which I rarely left in the car.

Personally I simply don't buy the stories about people smashing their way into cars because of sucker marks on the windscreens. I can imagine that this has happened, but I don't believe it is a sufficiently high risk to justify a comprimise on the mounting of a device.

I am sure it is equally likely that my car will be broken into because it has an ipod connection and thieves expect an ipod to be in the armrest or because it's parked at a service station and they might find a laptop in the boot.

pocketgps.co.uk used to be free for speed camera data .. it's now 20 a year which is pretty cheap I feel considering the service they are providing.
      05-14-2007, 01:34 PM   #25
Cafe.Racer
Captain

Drives: 320d Touring

There's also this one:

http://checkpoint.oabsoftware.nl/

The warning application is miles better than the Tomtom one, and it works with average speed cameras better (keeps an average spped on screen between two average cameras). Also the sync'ing is miles better. The only problem I had was that when I changed to a Mini-S it slowed TomTom down dramatically and became unusable.

Oh, and the brodit mounts are excellent - haven't used the e90 one (yet) but i will be when the car gets delivered!
Cafe.Racer is offline   United Kingdom
      05-14-2007, 02:58 PM   #26
NFS
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cafe.Racer View Post
There's also this one:

http://checkpoint.oabsoftware.nl/

The warning application is miles better than the Tomtom one, and it works with average speed cameras better (keeps an average spped on screen between two average cameras). Also the sync'ing is miles better. The only problem I had was that when I changed to a Mini-S it slowed TomTom down dramatically and became unusable.

Oh, and the brodit mounts are excellent - haven't used the e90 one (yet) but i will be when the car gets delivered!
One thing I haven't missed since getting nav for my e90 is the constant losses of signal that plagued my tomtom.
      05-15-2007, 03:05 AM   #27
silverbmwz3
Colonel

Drives: E90 335d wheelbarrow

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
Personally I simply don't buy the stories about people smashing their way into cars because of sucker marks on the windscreens. I can imagine that this has happened, but I don't believe it is a sufficiently high risk to justify a comprimise on the mounting of a device.

I am sure it is equally likely that my car will be broken into because it has an ipod connection and thieves expect an ipod to be in the armrest or because it's parked at a service station and they might find a laptop in the boot.
You are entitled to your opinion of course but the wisdom being dished out by various police forces and other organisations is that this is what is happening. It isn't the same as your ipod interface because there's i) a good chance you took your ipod with you and ii) how many cars have a hole for an ipod but don't actually use it (ok this last point is more clutching at straws).

Breaking into a car because it *may* have a laptop in the boot is something you aren't going to be able to stop and is just down to chance, but removing any sign of you having a portable sat nav device is something you can control and I'm convinced there's more chance if you have a bracket that you are a target than if you don't.
      05-15-2007, 03:34 AM   #28
- Paul -
Major General

Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [5.00]
2005 645  [4.50]
Quote:
....Whilst also potentially revealing to any passing criminals (due to its apparently permanant nature) that you may have a satnav locked in your glove box though !?

On this subject, my father in law is well chuffed with his Tom Tom but wants it on the dash of his Civic rather than on the windscreen - I can't find anything like that non marking thing that Matt posted about above but something like that for a Tom Tom one would be ideal - anyone aware of anything like it?

Also, everyone seems to want to charge for speed camera databases for Tom Tom - anyone aware of a 'free' one?
Used to be free but the cheeky beggars want 2 for it now!!!

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/subscription.php
      05-15-2007, 03:49 AM   #29
silverbmwz3
Colonel

Garage List
Excellent, thanks. Didn't see that - I think that option will be best then he can see if he uses it. I'm not spending another £20 on him and doubt he'll want to until he sees if it is of use
      05-15-2007, 06:32 PM   #30
NFS
Major General

Quote:
You are entitled to your opinion of course but the wisdom being dished out by various police forces and other organisations is that this is what is happening. It isn't the same as your ipod interface because there's i) a good chance you took your ipod with you and ii) how many cars have a hole for an ipod but don't actually use it (ok this last point is more clutching at straws).

Breaking into a car because it *may* have a laptop in the boot is something you aren't going to be able to stop and is just down to chance, but removing any sign of you having a portable sat nav device is something you can control and I'm convinced there's more chance if you have a bracket that you are a target than if you don't.
As I said .. I don't believe a word of this and the police should stop winding people up about this sort of nonsense, get out and solve some real crime
      05-16-2007, 01:52 AM   #31
silverbmwz3
Colonel

Garage List
It's just common sense, and the police aren't the only ones involved:

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/documen...06?view=Binary

http://interactive.pcw.co.uk/2006/04...v_securit.html

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...ity/index.html

So, without continuing to find other reputable organisations recommending the same common sense I think it is safe to say yours is a minority view :-p

Edit: Oops, I just called the home office reputable.
      05-16-2007, 02:56 AM   #32
silverbmwz3
Colonel

Garage List
It's just common sense, plus the advice of motoring groups, the home office and various other organisations. If people followed common sense advise the police would be free to tackle real crime and not following up stolen sat nav leads
      05-16-2007, 05:38 PM   #33
NFS
Major General

Quote:
It's just common sense, plus the advice of motoring groups, the home office and various other organisations. If people followed common sense advise the police would be free to tackle real crime and not following up stolen sat nav leads
Sorry ... it's not common sense .. it's absolute bollocks .. more than that it's the nanny state gone mad.

Theft IS real crime.

Unfortunately, the police seem to believe that they should spend time handing out inane 'crime prevention' advice rather than actually solving crimes that do occur. The irony is that they can claim that the victim has CAUSED the crime by not taking sensible precautions.

It is a fact that criminals deliberately break into cars because they see business people stash their laptops in the boot (following police advice). I'm sure they also break into cars having seen people stash their satnavs.

Having a satnav mount that can be hidden away isn't going to help if a criminal sees you put the whole mess in the boot.
      05-16-2007, 05:47 PM   #34
NFS
Major General

I love this rubbish ...

I see the merit in carrying around a supply of windowlene and cleaning cloths to get rid of the sucker marks on the windscreen everytime I park the car.

Plus the advice on not leaving the keys in the ignition is excellent. I wouldn't have though of this as I normally leave my keys in the car at all times.
      05-17-2007, 01:43 AM   #35
silverbmwz3
Colonel

Garage List
I'm not sure you know what you want here NFS - nanny state, or not. You want to go round with a clear sign you have sat nav on your car, you don't want governmnt advice on it, you want the police to then nanny you because you avoided common sense and then you want to call the whole thing borrocks. If there's people out there who don't take common sense and really rather straightforward precautions its no wonder the government and police (and the aa) feel moved to spell it out in big letters, and no wonder the police are busy mopping up after them. I think. I and the rest of the world of common sensewill have to agree to disagree with you here
      05-17-2007, 02:46 AM   #36
- Paul -
Major General

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [5.00]
2005 645  [4.50]
Quote:
I love this rubbish ...

I see the merit in carrying around a supply of windowlene and cleaning cloths to get rid of the sucker marks on the windscreen everytime I park the car.

Plus the advice on not leaving the keys in the ignition is excellent. I wouldn't have though of this as I normally leave my keys in the car at all times.
I'm surprised they didn't mention the fact that a fair few satnavs are bluetooth now and can be "scanned" by a mobile phone.

I can see both sides to the argument here. Not everyone is intelligent or even thinks twice about potentially attracting thieves. Those that do, normally take their own precautions. The advice isn't for everyone. It will be seen as condescending by some and useful by others.
      05-17-2007, 04:57 AM   #37
NFS
Major General

Quote:
I'm not sure you know what you want here NFS - nanny state, or not. You want to go round with a clear sign you have sat nav on your car, you don't want governmnt advice on it, you want the police to then nanny you because you avoided common sense and then you want to call the whole thing borrocks. If there's people out there who don't take common sense and really rather straightforward precautions its no wonder the government and police (and the aa) feel moved to spell it out in big letters, and no wonder the police are busy mopping up after them. I think. I and the rest of the world of common sensewill have to agree to disagree with you here
All I did was mention that brodit mounts work very well and provide an excellent built in look.

Everything in life carries risk and it's up to the individiual to decide what risks they are prepared to take.

I don't believe that having a satnav bracket visible in a car is a significant risk, especially if the device is ALWAYS removed from the car when parked.

What I do believe is that the benefits of a permanent, non damaging and professional looking mount more than outweigh this risk.

I respect you for your opinion and enjoy our discussions. I hope that this is mutual, but I am a little affronted at your suggestion that I am ignoring 'common sense'. This isn't about 'common sense' it is about an intelligent judgement on risk.

My comments on the nanny state directly refer the expenditure of our taxes on police time and media production to advise people to 'not leave their car keys in the ignition'.

I do not believe for a nanosecond that anyone has stopped leaving their car keys in the ignition because of a police publicity campaign and I genuinely believe this is a total waste of time and money.
      05-17-2007, 05:08 AM   #38
NFS
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stnewcar View Post
I'm surprised they didn't mention the fact that a fair few satnavs are bluetooth now and can be "scanned" by a mobile phone.

I can see both sides to the argument here. Not everyone is intelligent or even thinks twice about potentially attracting thieves. Those that do, normally take their own precautions. The advice isn't for everyone. It will be seen as condescending by some and useful by others.
To be honest I can see both sides as well, but in the end I really feel that this sort of publicity campaigning is not the role of the police.

I also feel that life is short enough already, without having to polish my windscreen every time I leave the car.

There is an entire 'advice industry' out there these days, telling us how we should live, what we should eat, what our cholesterol should be, how much exercise we should take, how we should raise our children, how to manage our stress, what to watch on television, how much television to watch, what to listen to, how to vote .... dont speed, don't eat while driving, don't smoke while driving, don't operate the radio when driving, don't use the phone when driving or don't operate the satnav when driving, don't travel in bad weather ...
      05-17-2007, 05:12 AM   #39
- Paul -
Major General

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [5.00]
2005 645  [4.50]
Quote:
There is an entire 'advice industry' out there these days, telling us how we should live, what we should eat, what our cholesterol should be, how much exercise we should take, how we should raise our children, how to manage our stress, what to watch on television, how much television to watch, what to listen to, how to vote .... dont speed, don't eat while driving, don't smoke while driving, don't operate the radio when driving, don't use the phone when driving or don't operate the satnav when driving, don't travel in bad weather ...
Annoying isn't it. Who's to blame for all this patronising crap?
      05-17-2007, 05:16 AM   #40
NFS
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stnewcar View Post
Annoying isn't it. Who's to blame for all this patronising crap?
Probably the same people that decided to call speed cameras 'safety cameras'.

Seriously ... there are people out there whose entire job is to think of new ways to tell us to wash our hands after going to the toilet.
      05-17-2007, 06:30 AM   #41
silverbmwz3
Colonel

Garage List
Quote:
All I did was mention that brodit mounts work very well and provide an excellent built in look.

Everything in life carries risk and it's up to the individiual to decide what risks they are prepared to take.

I don't believe that having a satnav bracket visible in a car is a significant risk, especially if the device is ALWAYS removed from the car when parked.

What I do believe is that the benefits of a permanent, non damaging and professional looking mount more than outweigh this risk.

I respect you for your opinion and enjoy our discussions. I hope that this is mutual, but I am a little affronted at your suggestion that I am ignoring 'common sense'. This isn't about 'common sense' it is about an intelligent judgement on risk.

My comments on the nanny state directly refer the expenditure of our taxes on police time and media production to advise people to 'not leave their car keys in the ignition'.

I do not believe for a nanosecond that anyone has stopped leaving their car keys in the ignition because of a police publicity campaign and I genuinely believe this is a total waste of time and money.
The respect is mutual and I think this is just a debate, which is taking me away currently from posting about my new car but if you are going to continue to extract individual points of advice from the various links I posted and treat the entire argument as if they depended on "not leaving the keys in the car" then there doesn't seem much point in discussing it further.

Common sense tells me that a visible holster for a sat nav device increases the risk of a passing thief expecting to find your sat nav locked in the glovebox and will break in. You will then no doubt involve the police and use up their time and effort (which you complain about them using to advise you not to do this) for a risk you chose to take for your convenience. To me it is common sense, if you want to call it something else that's fine.

I posted the AA link and no doubt could have found others because I didn't want this to get into a rant against the government, police etc. etc. and to show that serious organisations out there are recommending this approach. Not everyone out there is perhaps as educated or well informed or intelligent as you are NFS and perhaps the advice is targetted at them. A number of people do leave their keys in the car in some situations, as evidenced by the fact that Insurance companies are moved to exclude thefts resulting from it so although it may sound obvious and common sense clearly some people aren't up to the task, perhaps the advice won't help them but when writing a guide on how to avoid the risks they have to pitch it at the lowest common denominator and have it be comprehensive.

Unfortunately it is becoming a nanny state but I think to a degree we have ourselves to blame in terms of compensation culture etc. etc. We demand someone is to blame, and then complain when someone takes steps to ensure they minimise the risk of it being them.

Shall we agree to disagree and talk about cars now?

05-17-2007, 06:57 AM   #42
NFS
Major General

Quote:
Common sense tells me that a visible holster for a sat nav device increases the risk of a passing thief expecting to find your sat nav locked in the glovebox and will break in. You will then no doubt involve the police and use up their time and effort (which you complain about them using to advise you not to do this) for a risk you chose to take for your convenience. To me it is common sense, if you want to call it something else that's fine.
It's not common sense .. it's just your opinion. This is why the entire concept of common sense is so dangerous. No-one can really define it and everyone thinks that their view is the 'common sense' one.

As to wasting police time .. that's irrelevant. They no longer investigate thefts from (or thefts of) vehicles - all they do is issue a crime number for insurance purposes. What bothers me is that the police force use my taxes to pay for posters reminding idiots not to leave their keys in the ignition.

Anyway .. I don't care that much and neither should you. Now get out there and drive your car so we can talk about that instead
      05-17-2007, 08:37 AM   #43
silverbmwz3
Colonel

Garage List
I'll agree with the last bit I thought I was good at picking things up and work in IT but there's a lot to learn with iDrive

I thought I could just bung a postcode in and navigate to it but it seems to insist on me putting country, postcode, then street then number?!?!
      05-17-2007, 09:14 AM   #44
NFS
Major General

Quote:
I'll agree with the last bit I thought I was good at picking things up and work in IT but there's a lot to learn with iDrive

I thought I could just bung a postcode in and navigate to it but it seems to insist on me putting country, postcode, then street then number?!?!
Just select new destination then head straight to city ...

You can then enter the first 4 digits of the postcode and scroll down straight down to 'start guidance'.