E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Stripped thread on PSS10 front strut.....FML!



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-11-2011, 04:24 PM   #1
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
 
cstmx_ryder's Avatar
 
Drives: A metal box with a roundel
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Portland, OR

Posts: 2,720
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to cstmx_ryder Send a message via MSN to cstmx_ryder
Stripped thread on PSS10 front strut.....FML!

Hi,

So while trying to diagnose the 'noise' that I've been getting from my front strut, upon taking everything apart, my mechanic noticed the stripped thread on the strut, where the nut would go.....

Another at the shop said that can happen from taking it apart too much, but this is only the SECOND time it's ever been taken apart, the first time being last week. I know it was good last week because he assembled it fine, if it wasn't okay, he wouldn't have been able to tighten the nut over the whole top hat assembly as there would have been no thread to tighten the nut onto.

I thought it was from cross threading and using the air tool to torque/loosen it. I believe my mechanic first loosened the lowering perches so there wasn't so much compression on the spring before he loosened the top hat. But this is what we found.....FML

They then proceeded to try and re-tap the steel and put new threads in, and they said the steel was 'too hard' so they weren't able to do that successfully.

Right now my car's at the shop, and my mechanic is trying to source just the front driver side shock so it can be replaced and be put back together again.

What do you guys think?

FML
Attached Images
 
__________________

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
cstmx_ryder is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-11-2011, 08:44 PM   #2
mike3000fl
Eleven Bravo
 
mike3000fl's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 330i
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: ft bragg

Posts: 2,152
iTrader: (0)

this is why i dislike people with airtools around my vehicle.
__________________
2006 330i - Jet Black - 19" E46 M3 wheels - HR Sport - 188,000 Miles...

mike3000fl is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-11-2011, 09:10 PM   #3
DimSum
Banned
 
Drives: SLOW
Join Date: May 2008
Location: LITTLEBIMMER.COM

Posts: 2,743
iTrader: (10)

damn thats pretty bad stripped. It clearly says on the manual never to use air tools when installing the coil-overs even if it means loosening it.
DimSum is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      10-11-2011, 11:38 PM   #4
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
 
cstmx_ryder's Avatar
 
Drives: A metal box with a roundel
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Portland, OR

Posts: 2,720
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to cstmx_ryder Send a message via MSN to cstmx_ryder
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSum View Post
damn thats pretty bad stripped. It clearly says on the manual never to use air tools when installing the coil-overs even if it means loosening it.
Really? I didn't see that anywhere on the Bilstein manual.....Maybe I missed it, but I've read the thing cover to cover 2-3 times.

I'll make sure to tell my mechanic NOT to use anymore air tools....Damn it! FML....
__________________

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
cstmx_ryder is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-12-2011, 01:12 AM   #5
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: E82 1M
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Posts: 10,981
iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3000fl View Post
this is why i dislike people with airtools around my vehicle.
Or just people who don't know how to use air tools!

We use them here at the shop all the time you just have to pay attention to what you are doing and not be trigger happy.
HP Autosport is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-12-2011, 02:06 AM   #6
MrTerryliu
Brigadier General
 
MrTerryliu's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: bay area

Posts: 3,217
iTrader: (6)

Send a message via AIM to MrTerryliu
they should be able to rethread it. i bought used pss9 and one of the rear shocks has been rethreaded
MrTerryliu is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-12-2011, 02:10 AM   #7
#Tee
Chronic trollololer level 60
 
#Tee's Avatar
 
Drives: yes
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Socal

Posts: 4,727
iTrader: (1)

retrace thread with a smaller size.
#Tee is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-12-2011, 09:42 AM   #8
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
 
cstmx_ryder's Avatar
 
Drives: A metal box with a roundel
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Portland, OR

Posts: 2,720
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to cstmx_ryder Send a message via MSN to cstmx_ryder
According to another guy at the shop, he said the steel is 'too hard' to re-thread? Is this even remotely true?

When I first heard that, I didn't believe it....but then again, I know NOTHING about re-threading things, and I thought all steel would be able to get re-threaded.

So I'm not sure what I should do at this point? Tell them to try and re-thread it again? They have already smoothened out the whole thread surface, getting ready to be re-threaded until he found out that it wasn't possible?

Or should I just ask the shop to buy me a new shock, since this mostly likely happened when he was disassembling the strut only for the second time. Like Harold said, he was trigger happy when loosening the nut. I'm thinking that's true too because there was the compressed spring still holding some pressure against the perch while he was loosening the nut, and that might hve caused the thread to be stripped. In any case, I know the thread was fine between the last time he disassembled it and this time....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerryliu View Post
they should be able to rethread it. i bought used pss9 and one of the rear shocks has been rethreaded
__________________

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
cstmx_ryder is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-12-2011, 10:45 AM   #9
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: E82 1M
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Posts: 10,981
iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmx_ryder View Post
According to another guy at the shop, he said the steel is 'too hard' to re-thread? Is this even remotely true?

When I first heard that, I didn't believe it....but then again, I know NOTHING about re-threading things, and I thought all steel would be able to get re-threaded.

So I'm not sure what I should do at this point? Tell them to try and re-thread it again? They have already smoothened out the whole thread surface, getting ready to be re-threaded until he found out that it wasn't possible?

Or should I just ask the shop to buy me a new shock, since this mostly likely happened when he was disassembling the strut only for the second time. Like Harold said, he was trigger happy when loosening the nut. I'm thinking that's true too because there was the compressed spring still holding some pressure against the perch while he was loosening the nut, and that might hve caused the thread to be stripped. In any case, I know the thread was fine between the last time he disassembled it and this time....
Caution must be taken during disassembly. Did your tech use some sort of thread lubricant before he put the impact gun on the nut? WD40 at the very least will do.
HP Autosport is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-12-2011, 11:41 AM   #10
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
 
cstmx_ryder's Avatar
 
Drives: A metal box with a roundel
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Portland, OR

Posts: 2,720
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to cstmx_ryder Send a message via MSN to cstmx_ryder
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
Caution must be taken during disassembly. Did your tech use some sort of thread lubricant before he put the impact gun on the nut? WD40 at the very least will do.
No, I didn't see him use any lube....I was right next to him on the work bench while chatting with another detailer.....He basically disassembled it and said 'I think I found your problem' and showed me the stripped threads.....I was like WTF, I KNOW it wasn't like that after the first initial disassembly last week. Or else he wouldn't have been able to reassemble the strut, because there would have been NO threads to tighten the nut onto....

Harold, do you think it's possible that the steel on the shock is 'too hard' to rethread? Or are they just pulling my leg? Another forum member a couple posts up said one of his PSS9 rear strut was re-threaded, and I'm sure they used the same materials on both PSS9s and PSS10s, no?

TIA
__________________

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
cstmx_ryder is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-12-2011, 01:12 PM   #11
gizmo335i
Colonel
 
gizmo335i's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 JB E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Antonio

Posts: 2,907
iTrader: (50)

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [4.73]
I just went through this a little. I stripped the same thread on my rear Koni. I pulled the OEM shocks off, then tried the same nut on the Koni and it was the wrong pitch and it stripped it. But it wasn't that far down.

So from my experience, someone forced a nut with the wrong pitch on there.

But that is really bad. You will definately have to rethread it with a smaller nut. Which is possible no matter what that guy says.

Take it to a machine shop. Get it out of there fast and get it re-threaded by someone who knows what they're doing.
__________________
JB4 | Vanguard/Quad burnt tips | Linea Corse | Mtech Front/rear | AFE DCI | H&R Sport + Koni yellow | Umnitza Full LED Angels | Akyrm lip/quad diffuser | Alpine CSL CF Trunklid
See Garage for more
gizmo335i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-12-2011, 01:18 PM   #12
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
 
Drives: 1.9L of fury
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 3,395
iTrader: (4)

if your suspension was making noise before you took it to the shop, there could have been damage already done. and it may be tough to prove it was their fault. worth a try, but don't go in there and "demand" a new strut, try to put on your nice guy hat and see what they are willing to do.
mike-y is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-12-2011, 01:20 PM   #13
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: E82 1M
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Posts: 10,981
iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmx_ryder View Post
No, I didn't see him use any lube....I was right next to him on the work bench while chatting with another detailer.....He basically disassembled it and said 'I think I found your problem' and showed me the stripped threads.....I was like WTF, I KNOW it wasn't like that after the first initial disassembly last week. Or else he wouldn't have been able to reassemble the strut, because there would have been NO threads to tighten the nut onto....

Harold, do you think it's possible that the steel on the shock is 'too hard' to rethread? Or are they just pulling my leg? Another forum member a couple posts up said one of his PSS9 rear strut was re-threaded, and I'm sure they used the same materials on both PSS9s and PSS10s, no?

TIA

The damage could have happened during the install as well.

You can have a good welder add some material to the shaft then have a machine shop cut the thread for you.
HP Autosport is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-12-2011, 02:01 PM   #14
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
 
cstmx_ryder's Avatar
 
Drives: A metal box with a roundel
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Portland, OR

Posts: 2,720
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to cstmx_ryder Send a message via MSN to cstmx_ryder
Thanks for the help!

I'm sure that the nut was the right pitch, as it was the one that came with the PSS10s. So that's out of the question.

As far as the damage happened during the initial install, I'm not sure that it did. Because after that, we took it apart to try and diagnose the problem, and the threads were still good, because he put it back together and torqued it down. So after that time, the 'clunking' noise I was experiencing when going up my driveway was completely gone. So that tells me that it was an install issue, rather than a defect, because the noise went away after he re-installed the driver side strut.

But the popping noise persisted when going over small imperfections on the road. He sat in the passenger seat as did I, and felt the same on both sides. So that's when we decided to take it apart again, for the second time and diagnose the problem. It was during that second time taking it apart that this happened......
__________________

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
cstmx_ryder is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-12-2011, 02:45 PM   #15
NiVeDh
Major General
 
NiVeDh's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E90 335i 6MT BSM
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston, TX & Atlanta, GA

Posts: 7,987
iTrader: (132)

Garage List
I broke the stud on my rear shock (PSS9) bottom where it bolts to the control arm by overtightening the nut. I sent the shock in to Bilstein and they are going to rebuild it for around $150.
NiVeDh is offline   India
0
Reply With Quote
      10-12-2011, 02:49 PM   #16
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
 
cstmx_ryder's Avatar
 
Drives: A metal box with a roundel
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Portland, OR

Posts: 2,720
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to cstmx_ryder Send a message via MSN to cstmx_ryder
That sounds worse than a stripped thread.....so you think bilstein will be able to do something about my thread if I send it in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiVeDh View Post
I broke the stud on my rear shock (PSS9) bottom where it bolts to the control arm by overtightening the nut. I sent the shock in to Bilstein and they are going to rebuild it for around $150.
__________________

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
cstmx_ryder is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-12-2011, 11:37 PM   #17
DimSum
Banned
 
Drives: SLOW
Join Date: May 2008
Location: LITTLEBIMMER.COM

Posts: 2,743
iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmx_ryder View Post
Really? I didn't see that anywhere on the Bilstein manual.....Maybe I missed it, but I've read the thing cover to cover 2-3 times.

I'll make sure to tell my mechanic NOT to use anymore air tools....Damn it! FML....
Yup, it says it somewhere on my PSS9's manual.
Hand tighten and hand torqued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
Or just people who don't know how to use air tools!

We use them here at the shop all the time you just have to pay attention to what you are doing and not be trigger happy.
+1 on this one, because there are special air tools that have adapters that will never let you over torque anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmx_ryder View Post
That sounds worse than a stripped thread.....so you think bilstein will be able to do something about my thread if I send it in?
Yeah Bilstien will fix that for you, at a small charge. It won't be that bad for sure. They rebuild it for you, but of course you will have to wait sometime. To be honest, your better off talking to Bilstien about it first.
DimSum is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      10-13-2011, 02:37 PM   #18
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
 
cstmx_ryder's Avatar
 
Drives: A metal box with a roundel
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Portland, OR

Posts: 2,720
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to cstmx_ryder Send a message via MSN to cstmx_ryder
So I just got off the phone with Bilstein's tech dept.

Cost of repair/revalve:
$75 - Rebuild
$30 - Tube with thread
2-3 days turn around time.

owner pays for shipping both ways.

Their shop rate is $60/hr. but I think that's already included in the cost of rebuild....So I'm assuming that it takes about 1.25 hrs to rebuild one shock.

I'm heading to the shop this afternoon to see what they would do about this.
__________________

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
cstmx_ryder is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-13-2011, 03:32 PM   #19
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: E82 1M
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Posts: 10,981
iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmx_ryder View Post
So I just got off the phone with Bilstein's tech dept.

Cost of repair/revalve:
$75 - Rebuild
$30 - Tube with thread
2-3 days turn around time.

owner pays for shipping both ways.

Their shop rate is $60/hr. but I think that's already included in the cost of rebuild....So I'm assuming that it takes about 1.25 hrs to rebuild one shock.

I'm heading to the shop this afternoon to see what they would do about this.
That is a great price on a rebuild if you ask me. Typically you will spend between $160-200 on a rebuild. Maybe the $75 is in materials only(seals, shim stacks and other hardware).
HP Autosport is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-13-2011, 04:23 PM   #20
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
 
cstmx_ryder's Avatar
 
Drives: A metal box with a roundel
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Portland, OR

Posts: 2,720
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to cstmx_ryder Send a message via MSN to cstmx_ryder
You might be right about the $75 being the material cost of the rebuild. They probably wouldn't know the labor cost prior to them receiving the shock....so maybe it will end up being in the range of $160-200 as you said.

I went to the shop and the tech/owner said he'll foot the bill for the repair cost. So all that will be taken care of. Now I just have to wait, which is the hardest part IMO....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmx_ryder View Post
So I just got off the phone with Bilstein's tech dept.

Cost of repair/revalve:
$75 - Rebuild
$30 - Tube with thread
2-3 days turn around time.

owner pays for shipping both ways.

Their shop rate is $60/hr. but I think that's already included in the cost of rebuild....So I'm assuming that it takes about 1.25 hrs to rebuild one shock.

I'm heading to the shop this afternoon to see what they would do about this.
That is a great price on a rebuild if you ask me. Typically you will spend between $160-200 on a rebuild. Maybe the $75 is in materials only(seals, shim stacks and other hardware).
__________________

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
cstmx_ryder is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-15-2011, 07:02 PM   #21
DimSum
Banned
 
Drives: SLOW
Join Date: May 2008
Location: LITTLEBIMMER.COM

Posts: 2,743
iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmx_ryder View Post
So I just got off the phone with Bilstein's tech dept.

Cost of repair/revalve:
$75 - Rebuild
$30 - Tube with thread
2-3 days turn around time.

owner pays for shipping both ways.

Their shop rate is $60/hr. but I think that's already included in the cost of rebuild....So I'm assuming that it takes about 1.25 hrs to rebuild one shock.

I'm heading to the shop this afternoon to see what they would do about this.
Good deal, I would do it.
DimSum is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      10-21-2011, 02:17 PM   #22
CenCal 335is
Private First Class
 
CenCal 335is's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335is Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Central Cali (and Sometimes Brazil)

Posts: 122
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [0.00]
Any Updates? I still have the knocking going on on my setup. I'm hoping to get it resolved soon.
CenCal 335is is offline   Brazil
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:36 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST