E90Post

GT Haus

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Stripped thread on PSS10 front strut.....FML!

10-21-2011, 04:11 PM   #23
cstmx_ryder
Colonel

Drives: A metal box with a roundel

Send a message via AIM to cstmx_ryder Send a message via MSN to cstmx_ryder
Not yet....my shock is at Bilstein being rebuilt right now. Hopefully my shop will get it back around mid week next week. I've also told my tech to take out the conical washers that came with the PSS10s. Because there's no reason, IMO, to have those in when there's already a conical washer that's nearly identical welded onto the top spring perch....

CenCal, were you the one that told your tech not to install the conical washers that came with the kit?

We've basically exhausted all options while trying to diagnose the 'popping' sound only under slow speed and only over slight imperfections in the road.....So taking out the conical washers is our last resort. Also, the techs over at Bilstein also told me that there's only suppose to be ONE conical washer under the top spring perch. Since we can't remove the one already welded to the top spring perch, we'll try and remove the one that came with the PSS10s to see if that makes a difference.

I'll keep you posted though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenCal 335is View Post
Any Updates? I still have the knocking going on on my setup. I'm hoping to get it resolved soon.

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
cstmx_ryder is offline   United_States
      10-21-2011, 05:51 PM   #24
CenCal 335is
Private First Class

Drives: 2011 335is Coupe

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
CenCal, were you the one that told your tech not to install the conical washers that came with the kit?
Yes that's me. I'm hoping you get yours resolved as well. Its just frustrating to have a nice car that clunks.
CenCal 335is is offline   Brazil
      10-21-2011, 10:00 PM   #25
cstmx_ryder
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenCal 335is View Post
Yes that's me. I'm hoping you get yours resolved as well. Its just frustrating to have a nice car that clunks.
Did you have your tech check all the bolts/nuts related to the suspension? Reason I ask is because the clunking noise that I was experience before when going up my driveway, and only then, is gone after my tech disassembled my driver side suspension and reassembled it.....It now feels/sounds solid versus before it sounded like something wasn't tightened all the way or what not.

But the 'popping' noise still remained.....It feels like it's coming from the lower part of the suspension, possible the control arm?

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
      12-04-2011, 03:05 PM   #26
cstmx_ryder
Colonel

UPDATE!!

Ok, so I just received the rebuilt front strut from Bilstein on Thursday, got my car done on Friday and picked it up Saturday morning. All is good so far, saw the strut in person before it was reinstalled, and it had some stamp on the top of the tube right below the threaded part (I couldn't remember if it had that stamp on the other front strut, since I've not had my car for about 1.5 months). I figured it was a stamp of approval from Bilstein that everything was up to spec.

I had the two conical washers taken out, and now the car rides flawlessly, no popping noise, clunking, etc. All the noises I was experiencing prior to the strut being sent in was gone!

All in all, the strut rebuild cost around $180, at least that's what I was told by the reps at Bilstein, all covered by the shop that worked on my car due to a uninstall error (stripping of the thread).

The reason why the strut took so long to be rebuilt was because it was on a first come first serve basis, and I was the 13th person on the list. Also, during the week that they received my strut (Nov. 3rd), was SEMA, so they were kind of short handed(so I was told). When they finally got to my strut, they had to fish around to try and find a blank tube to be machined and threaded, so that took a few days. Aside from that, all went well without a hitch, just the waiting time sucked!! LOL

End of update.

'08 AW E90 335i
      12-06-2011, 02:26 AM   #27
DimSum
Banned

Drives: SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmx_ryder View Post
Ok, so I just received the rebuilt front strut from Bilstein on Thursday, got my car done on Friday and picked it up Saturday morning. All is good so far, saw the strut in person before it was reinstalled, and it had some stamp on the top of the tube right below the threaded part (I couldn't remember if it had that stamp on the other front strut, since I've not had my car for about 1.5 months). I figured it was a stamp of approval from Bilstein that everything was up to spec.

I had the two conical washers taken out, and now the car rides flawlessly, no popping noise, clunking, etc. All the noises I was experiencing prior to the strut being sent in was gone!

All in all, the strut rebuild cost around $180, at least that's what I was told by the reps at Bilstein, all covered by the shop that worked on my car due to a uninstall error (stripping of the thread).

The reason why the strut took so long to be rebuilt was because it was on a first come first serve basis, and I was the 13th person on the list. Also, during the week that they received my strut (Nov. 3rd), was SEMA, so they were kind of short handed(so I was told). When they finally got to my strut, they had to fish around to try and find a blank tube to be machined and threaded, so that took a few days. Aside from that, all went well without a hitch, just the waiting time sucked!! LOL

End of update.

Glad it was all done with!!
DimSum is offline   Canada