E90Post
 


GT Haus
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Rob Beck Turbo Install by Sonic MS



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-15-2011, 03:58 PM   #23
CALWATERBOY
Captain
 
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E93 N54
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 837
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicategt View Post

I went with Sonic MS. Their reputation in the Bay Area is second to none
Twice I've been there, twice problems with appointment time - someone spaced it out.

No problem with the work once it begins, but oh, mama, there are some issues....on which they are indeed second to none.

They're cosmic dudes.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 10-15-2011 at 06:48 PM.
CALWATERBOY is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-15-2011, 04:25 PM   #24
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
 
Syndicategt's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Nor Cal

Posts: 3,732
iTrader: (11)

Sorry you had a bad experience. They were very pompt to call me and confirm that I even was running on time and always updated me on the car. They are a busy shop and with so many high end and exotics, I'm sure they have some deadlines to meet.
__________________
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Syndicategt is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-15-2011, 05:07 PM   #25
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
 
vasillalov's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago, IL

Posts: 4,135
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 335i E90  [4.00]
So, from the looks of it, there was no need to pull the engine out to replace the turbos. That's good! Just the steering rack and heat shields?.. Is that correct?
__________________
Equal Opportunity Harasser!
6MT | COBB | AR | AE | Forge DV | HPF | P3 Gauge | Hybrid Intake | O.S.Giken TCD | All M3 bits | TCKLine
vasillalov is offline   Bulgaria
0
Reply With Quote
      10-15-2011, 05:13 PM   #26
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
 
Syndicategt's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Nor Cal

Posts: 3,732
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
So, from the looks of it, there was no need to pull the engine out to replace the turbos. That's good! Just the steering rack and heat shields?.. Is that correct?
Go back to the first page, there is a lot more too it which I posted (front suspension (sway bar), radiator, FMIC, exhaust, DPs, steering rack). You do need to remove 2 of the engine mounts from my knowledge, maybe Sonic/Rob/Lutz or someone who did the install can chime in.
__________________
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Syndicategt is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-17-2011, 07:27 AM   #27
Rob@RBTurbo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Rob@RBTurbo's Avatar
 
Drives: 335I
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO

Posts: 1,082
iTrader: (4)

Obviously the underside plastics, the plastics in the engine bay at the firewall, and the engine cover plastic needs to be removed to gain full access to everything. The sway bar and exhaust (rear) do not need removed at all. The radiator only needs need drained not removed (the fan needs pulled out which is pretty easy). The steering rack doesnt need to be fully removed, only it's two mounting bolts need pulled and then it can be pulled forward and dropped out of the way (which shouldnt affect alignment). Nothing with the subframe needs to be loosened/removed, but the passenger side engine mount needs to be pulled to be able to access/drop out the turbos (meanwhile the engine needs to be supported elsewhere). The front inlet tube to the turbo, the downpipes, and the water pump will need to come out. The outlet turbo plumbing to the Intercooler needs to be removed, I believe this is easier when the FMIC is removed. It's really then just dealing with all of the little lines to the turbos, and removing the turbos themselves. The engine definitely does not have to come out in it's entirety, but some with the equipment to do as such may find it easier just to have the space to work in as it's pretty tight and constantly working in that area is fatiguing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicategt View Post
Go back to the first page, there is a lot more too it which I posted (front suspension (sway bar), radiator, FMIC, exhaust, DPs, steering rack). You do need to remove 2 of the engine mounts from my knowledge, maybe Sonic/Rob/Lutz or someone who did the install can chime in.
Rob@RBTurbo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-17-2011, 07:33 AM   #28
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
 
vasillalov's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago, IL

Posts: 4,135
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 335i E90  [4.00]
Rob, thanks for the clarification.
__________________
Equal Opportunity Harasser!
6MT | COBB | AR | AE | Forge DV | HPF | P3 Gauge | Hybrid Intake | O.S.Giken TCD | All M3 bits | TCKLine
vasillalov is offline   Bulgaria
0
Reply With Quote
      10-17-2011, 09:32 AM   #29
cotmfk
Brigadier General
 
cotmfk's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: DC, MD, VA

Posts: 3,461
iTrader: (11)

Congrats!! It will be fun once broken in.
__________________
cotmfk is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-17-2011, 12:46 PM   #30
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
 
Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TopGearSolutions.com

Posts: 17,123
iTrader: (32)

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBeck View Post
Obviously the underside plastics, the plastics in the engine bay at the firewall, and the engine cover plastic needs to be removed to gain full access to everything. The sway bar and exhaust (rear) do not need removed at all. The radiator only needs need drained not removed (the fan needs pulled out which is pretty easy). The steering rack doesnt need to be fully removed, only it's two mounting bolts need pulled and then it can be pulled forward and dropped out of the way (which shouldnt affect alignment). Nothing with the subframe needs to be loosened/removed, but the passenger side engine mount needs to be pulled to be able to access/drop out the turbos (meanwhile the engine needs to be supported elsewhere). The front inlet tube to the turbo, the downpipes, and the water pump will need to come out. The outlet turbo plumbing to the Intercooler needs to be removed, I believe this is easier when the FMIC is removed. It's really then just dealing with all of the little lines to the turbos, and removing the turbos themselves. The engine definitely does not have to come out in it's entirety, but some with the equipment to do as such may find it easier just to have the space to work in as it's pretty tight and constantly working in that area is fatiguing.
LOL
Jeff@TopGearSolutions is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-17-2011, 12:58 PM   #31
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
 
Syndicategt's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Nor Cal

Posts: 3,732
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
LOL
Thanks for the clarification Rob. I was more than happy to pay someone to do this project. My car would still bet on jack stands in my garage if I have attempted this myself. I know it can be done at home, I just didn't have the time in my schedule.
__________________
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Syndicategt is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-17-2011, 01:04 PM   #32
ar design
 
ar design's Avatar
 
Drives: '86 325ES+S50, '01 TT QC
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Denver, CO

Posts: 4,408
iTrader: (9)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to ar design Send a message via MSN to ar design Send a message via Yahoo to ar design
Looking good!!!! Darwin + Cal FTW
ar design is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-17-2011, 04:38 PM   #33
golfrsi
Enlisted Member
 
golfrsi's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 335i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Earth

Posts: 33
iTrader: (0)

That's Beast. lol
golfrsi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-17-2011, 04:41 PM   #34
golfrsi
Enlisted Member
 
golfrsi's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 335i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Earth

Posts: 33
iTrader: (0)

I Waited 700 Miles before a WOT Run on the Wavetrac unit.
golfrsi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-17-2011, 08:08 PM   #35
Brey335i
Brigadier General
 
Brey335i's Avatar
 
Drives: e46 ///M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Austin, TX

Posts: 4,737
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBeck View Post
Obviously the underside plastics, the plastics in the engine bay at the firewall, and the engine cover plastic needs to be removed to gain full access to everything. The sway bar and exhaust (rear) do not need removed at all. The radiator only needs need drained not removed (the fan needs pulled out which is pretty easy). The steering rack doesnt need to be fully removed, only it's two mounting bolts need pulled and then it can be pulled forward and dropped out of the way (which shouldnt affect alignment). Nothing with the subframe needs to be loosened/removed, but the passenger side engine mount needs to be pulled to be able to access/drop out the turbos (meanwhile the engine needs to be supported elsewhere). The front inlet tube to the turbo, the downpipes, and the water pump will need to come out. The outlet turbo plumbing to the Intercooler needs to be removed, I believe this is easier when the FMIC is removed. It's really then just dealing with all of the little lines to the turbos, and removing the turbos themselves. The engine definitely does not have to come out in it's entirety, but some with the equipment to do as such may find it easier just to have the space to work in as it's pretty tight and constantly working in that area is fatiguing.
So who's up for a DIY project?
Brey335i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-17-2011, 08:55 PM   #36
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
 
vasillalov's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago, IL

Posts: 4,135
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 335i E90  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brey335i View Post
So who's up for a DIY project?
Judging by the amount of oil my turbos are burning and the accompanying "whining" sound, all this combined with the fact that my warranty expires next month, there is a high chance I'll end up replacing my stock turbos soon...
__________________
Equal Opportunity Harasser!
6MT | COBB | AR | AE | Forge DV | HPF | P3 Gauge | Hybrid Intake | O.S.Giken TCD | All M3 bits | TCKLine
vasillalov is offline   Bulgaria
0
Reply With Quote
      10-17-2011, 11:54 PM   #37
Brey335i
Brigadier General
 
Brey335i's Avatar
 
Drives: e46 ///M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Austin, TX

Posts: 4,737
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
Judging by the amount of oil my turbos are burning and the accompanying "whining" sound, all this combined with the fact that my warranty expires next month, there is a high chance I'll end up replacing my stock turbos soon...
Let me know how that goes! I'm gonna ask my gf for some RB's for xmas
Brey335i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2011, 01:17 AM   #38
Anders
New Member
 
Anders's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i & Alpina B6 2.8
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sweden

Posts: 12
iTrader: (1)

For you DIY:ers out there

I did the swap to RB:s like this (roughly in this order)

Car on stands

  1. Drain oil & cooling liquid
  2. plastics (engine cover, underside, misc)
  3. Front bumper
  4. Intercooler
  5. Cooling liquid tank
  6. Vacuum tanks
  7. Downpipes & midpipes
  8. passenger side engine mount
  9. outlet turbo plumbing to the Intercooler
  10. Cooling hose from water pump to motor
  11. Oil & waterlines to turbos
  12. Rear turbo
  13. Front turbo

Install in opposite order.
Fitment of RB:s is OEM.
Took me about 16h on my own but it can be shortened if you have some help.
I reused the oil & waterlines to turbos (probably the most difficult part of installation).
__________________
BMW 135i -08
AR DP, Berk full exhaust, RB turbos, COBB AP/JB4, CMGS, AMS FMIC, STETT CP

My car: http://www.garaget.org/?car=169403
Anders is offline   Sweden
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2011, 03:47 AM   #39
enrita
Major General
 
enrita's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i - Big turbos
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Italian in Sweden

Posts: 7,323
iTrader: (0)

kudos to you that DIY it this....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
For you DIY:ers out there

I did the swap to RB:s like this (roughly in this order)

Car on stands

  1. Drain oil & cooling liquid
  2. plastics (engine cover, underside, misc)
  3. Front bumper
  4. Intercooler
  5. Cooling liquid tank
  6. Vacuum tanks
  7. Downpipes & midpipes
  8. passenger side engine mount
  9. outlet turbo plumbing to the Intercooler
  10. Cooling hose from water pump to motor
  11. Oil & waterlines to turbos
  12. Rear turbo
  13. Front turbo

Install in opposite order.
Fitment of RB:s is OEM.
Took me about 16h on my own but it can be shortened if you have some help.
I reused the oil & waterlines to turbos (probably the most difficult part of installation).
__________________
07 335i AT - TD St.2 Turbos - COBB (Custom Cobb mapping by http://www.protuningfreaks.com/) - JB4G5 ISO - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - E85 Walbro - Injen Intake - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - AR DPs - midpipes 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - Level 10 AT upgrade - Alpina AT Flash
enrita is offline   Sweden
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2011, 04:21 AM   #40
bahn stormer
Taking the dog out for some exercise.
 
bahn stormer's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 E90 335i 6MT, 65 MGB
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: PA/Mexico

Posts: 527
iTrader: (3)

Thanks for the info, Anders and Rob. Its nice to hear what's involved besides the obvious Bently Manual material. Great pictures, Syndicategt.

I plan on installing upgraded turbos myself when the day comes. I have a few more supporting mods to go.

Syndicategt, please keep us posted on your experience.
bahn stormer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2011, 09:38 AM   #41
golfrsi
Enlisted Member
 
golfrsi's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 335i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Earth

Posts: 33
iTrader: (0)

How do they feel so far? Do they scream a little more at wot?
golfrsi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2011, 09:39 AM   #42
golfrsi
Enlisted Member
 
golfrsi's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 335i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Earth

Posts: 33
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicategt View Post
Yes, and you are supposed to change out the fluid at 1,000 miles.

Back to the turbos....you are right, it's like teasing a fat kid with cake. I did get her up to 17 psi today..... On Wed night I'm heading to Sac Raceway, I'll be gingerly launching the car but will get on it in 3rd gear. (Race Gas + 50% meth)




Yes, I'm heading to his shop in a few weeks. We are going to load some of the aggressive maps and wire in my Aquamist to the PROcede for extra failsafes. Will hopefully report back with some dyno numbers.
Crank That Bitch to 18+ PSI!!!
golfrsi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2011, 10:06 AM   #43
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
 
Syndicategt's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Nor Cal

Posts: 3,732
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfrsi View Post
How do they feel so far? Do they scream a little more at wot?
Yea they scream all the time! Sound so much nicer than the stock, you can really hear them spool even under light load.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfrsi View Post
Crank That Bitch to 18+ PSI!!!
I'll be going to 17 psi this week, slowly increasing it over time to compare datalogs making sure everything is running ok.
__________________
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Syndicategt is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-20-2011, 05:00 PM   #44
sfgiant415
BOSS
 
sfgiant415's Avatar
 
Drives: IS-F
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: sf/ bay area

Posts: 186
iTrader: (6)

Any dynos yet?
__________________
FEEL THE RHYTHM OF MY SPEED
sfgiant415 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST