E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Claiming maintenance expenses on US cars?

10-16-2011, 07:28 PM   #1
MaxL
Captain

Drives: E90 M3, Cayenne T, 991 GT3

Claiming maintenance expenses on US cars?

A a Canadian dealer told me that if they do maintenance for my car (imported from US), I can claim the fees from BMW NA, and they would reimburse me. He said two of his clients did that successfully. Did anyone on the forum have experience with that?

Also, if that does not work, did anyone try driving south of the border and letting a US dealer do the scheduled maintenance? I am coming up to a major maintenance interval (brakes, diff fluid, spark plugs) and it would probably be worth the hassle of trying to get reimbursed by BMW NA or driving to Buffalo or Rochester.

Thanks for any info!
MaxL is offline   Canada
      10-17-2011, 12:20 AM   #2
AmericanInToronto
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxL View Post
A a Canadian dealer told me that if they do maintenance for my car (imported from US), I can claim the fees from BMW NA, and they would reimburse me. He said two of his clients did that successfully. Did anyone on the forum have experience with that?

Also, if that does not work, did anyone try driving south of the border and letting a US dealer do the scheduled maintenance? I am coming up to a major maintenance interval (brakes, diff fluid, spark plugs) and it would probably be worth the hassle of trying to get reimbursed by BMW NA or driving to Buffalo or Rochester.

Thanks for any info!
Hi there,

check out my thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...1#post10624432

Seems like Towne BMW will cover the scheduled maintenance on a US vehicle.

edit: and this Canadian dealer sounds to be full of shit. you shoulda asked him: "are you running a BMW dealership, or am I?" Who in their right mind tells the customer to get reimbursed by the manufacturer unless they're basically sending you a message that they really only want to get paid in cash and you deal with the paperwork because they simply DO NOT care!
      10-18-2011, 07:35 PM   #3
MaxL
Captain

Drives: E90 M3, Cayenne T, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanInToronto View Post
Hi there,

check out my thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...1#post10624432

Seems like Towne BMW will cover the scheduled maintenance on a US vehicle.

edit: and this Canadian dealer sounds to be full of shit. you shoulda asked him: "are you running a BMW dealership, or am I?" Who in their right mind tells the customer to get reimbursed by the manufacturer unless they're basically sending you a message that they really only want to get paid in cash and you deal with the paperwork because they simply DO NOT care!
So I take it no one has heard about BMW US/NA reimbursing for maintenance done in Canada. It sounded a bit unrealistic to me, but the SA was adamant it was true.

I guess I'll just avoid the risk and drop the car off at Towne
MaxL is offline   Canada
      10-19-2011, 12:04 PM   #4
mabman

Drives: 2007 BMW 335xi

I live in Toronto and have driven to Buffalo to get maintenance done no charge. Just have to book an appt ahead of time.
mabman is offline   Canada
      10-19-2011, 01:51 PM   #5
AmericanInToronto
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabman View Post
I live in Toronto and have driven to Buffalo to get maintenance done no charge. Just have to book an appt ahead of time.
Perfect. So I'll be getting free brake fluid service done on Saturday.

I wonder how much GTA BMW dealerships charge for that.
      10-23-2011, 10:57 AM   #6
AmericanInToronto
Second Lieutenant

Towne replaced my wiper blades, cabin filter and brake fluid -- all under the free maintenance program. $400 saved!
      10-23-2011, 01:54 PM   #7
DESI4life10
Banned

Drives: Coding: Desi4life10@gmail.com

^Wait till they replace the brakes :-)

Got both my front and rear rotors+ brakes replaced free of charge with the maintenance plan. That alone was worth its weight.
DESI4life10 is offline   Canada
      10-23-2011, 03:27 PM   #8
mcmastah
Private First Class

Drives: e92 335i

what is this towne dealership you guys speak of? Do you mean Town & Country in Markham?
      10-23-2011, 03:31 PM   #9
DESI4life10
Banned

Drives: Coding: Desi4life10@gmail.com

^If you read this thread it would be clear.

Towne BMW is a US dealership that is in Buffalo. It's a dealership to go to for those with US cars (to get the free maintenance)
DESI4life10 is offline   Canada
      10-23-2011, 04:20 PM   #10
AdVERS

Drives: o9 Bmw 335I

I originally had the same issue, Over an hour arguing with the BMW manager I said it's a f**king bmw and if your US warranty mechanical failures is good internationally why isn't the BMW servicing. Especially since i got it from bmw canada who go the car from bmw usa. More arguing finally, the manager agrees to honor all the servicing that should be done it the US
Soon as he said that I typed up a document on my iphone and asked the manager if i could use a printer he said sure. Printed it out, stating the BMW Burrard will honor all servicing and maintenance with no cost as per the US agreement, I added a bunch of other lingo, that made it an official document and got him to sign it, I signed it, and a witness signed it .

So take that BMW Canada.

Last edited by AdVERS; 10-23-2011 at 04:25 PM.
      10-23-2011, 04:39 PM   #11
AmericanInToronto
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESI4life10 View Post
^Wait till they replace the brakes :-)

Got both my front and rear rotors+ brakes replaced free of charge with the maintenance plan. That alone was worth its weight.
See...that's the thing. The maintenance plan on my car ends Jan 2, 2012. I'm at 40,000 miles now and the brake sensor readout says 40,000 miles left for the front pads and 29,000 for the rear pads. WTF is that??!!!

I'm hoping that the brakes give out before end of this year. Otherwise it's around $800....isnt it?
      10-23-2011, 04:58 PM   #12
AdVERS

Drives: o9 Bmw 335I

Oh well it's price depending on the brakes and needs rotors, but you should do both, if you service through bmw or do a brake DIY job

Uhmmm maybe ask if they can do servicing before then. But i'm sure they'll say they will have to charge because it's not at the allocated service intervals or something of the sort.
Or you can always buy the maintenance plan before your current one expires.

"Today, BMW North America announced that all of BMW models (except Alpina B7) are now eligible for purchase of a Maintenance Program Upgrade which extends the standard Maintenance Program period to 6 years or 100,000 miles. But there is a catch, the upgrade comes associated with an extra cost ranging from $1,395 to $2,995, depending on the model."

The main thing is how much driving do you do. Does it make sense to extend the warranty, Will you reach either the 110K in 6 years. What is the point of replacing the brakes after the 6 years are up, that means you wasted money on a warranty for nothing. and paid money on top of it for brakes.

Last edited by AdVERS; 10-23-2011 at 05:13 PM.