E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Using BPC Flash Tool with a Mac



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-14-2017, 07:40 PM   #1
dgaultiere
Private First Class
dgaultiere's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
100
Posts

Drives: E90 328i MT BPC Stage 2
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Santa Barbara, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
DIY: Using BPC Flash Tool with a Mac

I recently purchased the ECU tune from Bimmer Performance Center for my 328i. The tune comes with a DIMSport flash tool which is used to load the tune. However, the flash tool requires a Windows computer to update the software and load the tune files, but I only have a MacBook.

Since I do not have access to a Windows computer (even at work), I did some research into alternative ways to accomplish this. Turns out this can be done using a virtual machine running Windows 10 and there is free (legal) software which you can download to accomplish this.

I'm documenting this here in case anyone else runs into a similar dilemma. Cheers!
  1. Download & install VirtualBox free virtual machine software for MacOS
  2. Download the free Windows 10 virtual machine image for VirtualBox & open the file (it will install the image on VirtualBox)
  3. Connect USB drive to your Mac and eject the drive from your Mac desktop
  4. Click the small USB drive icon on VirtualBox and select the USB drive to connect it to your virtual machine
  5. Copy the ZIP file to your desktop on the Windows 10 virtual machine and install the MyGenius software
  6. Connect MyGenius device to your Mac
  7. Click the small USB drive icon on VirtualBox and select the MyGenius device to connect it to your virtual machine
  8. Install the software updates on MyGenius and download/upload files as per usual instructions
Appreciate 3
      01-20-2017, 01:02 AM   #2
Eagle1oh7
Major
Eagle1oh7's Avatar
United_States
66
Rep
1,344
Posts

Drives: '11 328i Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chula Vista CA

iTrader: (0)

Nice share dude! My tune is waiting for me at home but I probably won't download my stock DME until Saturday since I'll be getting home late so this will save me the trouble of booting up my old MacBook with XP installed on it.
__________________
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/DD CF Diffuser, M3 Rep Skirts, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS, Eisenmann catback, AA Headers, BPC Stage 2, Charcoal Delete+revMotor+AFE Drop In filter
FUTURE MODS: LED headlights, CF rooftop, M3 Suspension Conversion, Dinan CAI Mod
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 02:24 AM   #3
dgaultiere
Private First Class
dgaultiere's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
100
Posts

Drives: E90 328i MT BPC Stage 2
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Santa Barbara, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1oh7 View Post
Nice share dude! My tune is waiting for me at home but I probably won't download my stock DME until Saturday since I'll be getting home late so this will save me the trouble of booting up my old MacBook with XP installed on it.
Glad to help! Keep in mind that the Windows 10 image is a 20GB download so you'll want to download it several hours ahead of time and make sure you have plenty of extra disk space.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 03:51 PM   #4
Eagle1oh7
Major
Eagle1oh7's Avatar
United_States
66
Rep
1,344
Posts

Drives: '11 328i Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chula Vista CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaultiere View Post
Glad to help! Keep in mind that the Windows 10 image is a 20GB download so you'll want to download it several hours ahead of time and make sure you have plenty of extra disk space.
So I see! I had to delete a few things from my iTunes library since I've crammed the HD with lots of movies to watch when I'm away from home!
__________________
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/DD CF Diffuser, M3 Rep Skirts, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS, Eisenmann catback, AA Headers, BPC Stage 2, Charcoal Delete+revMotor+AFE Drop In filter
FUTURE MODS: LED headlights, CF rooftop, M3 Suspension Conversion, Dinan CAI Mod
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 11:16 AM   #5
John@BPC
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
John@BPC's Avatar
345
Rep
207
Posts


Drives: BMW M3, M4, M5
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Raleigh

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaultiere View Post
I recently purchased the ECU tune from Bimmer Performance Center for my 328i. The tune comes with a DIMSport flash tool which is used to load the tune. However, the flash tool requires a Windows computer to update the software and load the tune files, but I only have a MacBook.

Since I do not have access to a Windows computer (even at work), I did some research into alternative ways to accomplish this. Turns out this can be done using a virtual machine running Windows 10 and there is free (legal) software which you can download to accomplish this.

I'm documenting this here in case anyone else runs into a similar dilemma. Cheers!
  1. Download & install VirtualBox free virtual machine software for MacOS
  2. Download the free Windows 10 virtual machine image for VirtualBox & open the file (it will install the image on VirtualBox)
  3. Connect USB drive to your Mac and eject the drive from your Mac desktop
  4. Click the small USB drive icon on VirtualBox and select the USB drive to connect it to your virtual machine
  5. Copy the ZIP file to your desktop on the Windows 10 virtual machine and install the MyGenius software
  6. Connect MyGenius device to your Mac
  7. Click the small USB drive icon on VirtualBox and select the MyGenius device to connect it to your virtual machine
  8. Install the software updates on MyGenius and download/upload files as per usual instructions
Thank you for the great write up, we have added it to our website!

https://bimmer-performance-center.my...e-instructions
Appreciate 1
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:51 AM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST