E90Post
 


VIBE Motorsports
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Cyba air intake scoops installed..



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-29-2011, 06:43 PM   #1
Bagelfast
Lieutenant Colonel
Bagelfast's Avatar
40
Rep
1,537
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Cyba air intake scoops installed..

Got my cyba scoops today to aid in bringing some air to the DCI..

For the price the fitment was dead on and the design was pretty good. Slits at the back of the scoops are nice so no rain goes up into the intake track. Fit is perfect, and one bolt and a plastic clip hold them on pretty damn well.

Only one problem i had was one small piece which came up to high and up in the front, did not let the grills install flush and correctly, so i cut off that small tab to allow enough room for the grills to install correctly. I have them marked off in red in the picture below.












ALSO, i made my own hanger type bracket out of alum. and painted it in black, to use the stock snorkel to hold and keep it poiting directly at the DCI. Works well and really brings the air right into the DCI. The snorkel without this bracket, sends air the intake manifold and down.
This bracket helps lift up the snorkel and point it direct at the DCI.

This and the DCI work amazing to bring cool ambient air to the DCI.




Last edited by Bagelfast; 10-30-2011 at 09:20 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 07:14 PM   #2
PlutoniumTans
Lieutenant
United_States
8
Rep
575
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Brooklyn,NY

iTrader: (2)

wtfffffffffffff why not red
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 07:15 PM   #3
PlutoniumTans
Lieutenant
United_States
8
Rep
575
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Brooklyn,NY

iTrader: (2)

lumiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii it would match the albanian flag
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 07:38 PM   #4
Bagelfast
Lieutenant Colonel
Bagelfast's Avatar
40
Rep
1,537
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

hhahahahaaa i dont think they were in stock haha i was tight.... i can paint them easily lollll
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 10:43 AM   #5
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
bigdaddycane's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
2,606
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Va

iTrader: (34)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
did you notice any power gains?
__________________

COBB AP|CP-e|ETS|ER|Forge DVs|KW V1|M3 Sways|BBS CH|BMS|
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 02:46 PM   #6
PlutoniumTans
Lieutenant
United_States
8
Rep
575
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Brooklyn,NY

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddycane View Post
did you notice any power gains?
seriously ?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 06:46 PM   #7
Bagelfast
Lieutenant Colonel
Bagelfast's Avatar
40
Rep
1,537
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

All i know is, the DCI themselves are alot cooler after im done driving when i touch them... They use to be damn HOT when i was done driving.. i think scoops help alot! Brings alot more air and alot more cooler/ambient air to the DCI. Throttle response on the highway seems def great.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 07:36 PM   #8
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
45
Rep
3,378
Posts

 
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Yonkers NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW  [3.50]
i was thinking about scoops, but when it rains, wouldnt more rain and water get to the filter?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 08:50 PM   #9
Bagelfast
Lieutenant Colonel
Bagelfast's Avatar
40
Rep
1,537
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

You can see the scoops have slits at the back end of them where the rain/water would escape out of the intake track.

Honestly there is no way, even if the rain somehow escaped the slits at the back of the scoops, there is no way water can go up and into the stock snorkel onto the filters... It would take too much pressure and the water somehow not getting caught at the scoops slits, the gap between the stock snorkel and scoops, and the transitions.. its just a tale if you ask me...

It rained and snoked like hell yesterday... the snorkel inside had no signs of even being wet.. Even after highway driving.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 09:48 AM   #10
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
bigdaddycane's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
2,606
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Va

iTrader: (34)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutoniumTans View Post
seriously ?
yeah, what's the issue?

There has been a lot of back an forth on the scoops and I wanted to know if he felt any gains or benefits.
__________________

COBB AP|CP-e|ETS|ER|Forge DVs|KW V1|M3 Sways|BBS CH|BMS|
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 09:56 AM   #11
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
45
Rep
3,378
Posts

 
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Yonkers NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LUMI335 View Post
You can see the scoops have slits at the back end of them where the rain/water would escape out of the intake track.

Honestly there is no way, even if the rain somehow escaped the slits at the back of the scoops, there is no way water can go up and into the stock snorkel onto the filters... It would take too much pressure and the water somehow not getting caught at the scoops slits, the gap between the stock snorkel and scoops, and the transitions.. its just a tale if you ask me...

It rained and snoked like hell yesterday... the snorkel inside had no signs of even being wet.. Even after highway driving.

Nice to know! maybe picking up myself a pair!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 10:39 AM   #12
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
Syndicategt's Avatar
United_States
50
Rep
3,732
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Nor Cal

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddycane View Post
yeah, what's the issue?

There has been a lot of back an forth on the scoops and I wanted to know if he felt any gains or benefits.
They make your engine bay dirty if running DCI's, that's about it. I have them on my car, even with the closed airbox I don't notice any difference in throttle response or IAT drops. I'm up in the air on them and would not recommend them.
__________________
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 11:29 AM   #13
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
bigdaddycane's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
2,606
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Va

iTrader: (34)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicategt View Post
They make your engine bay dirty if running DCI's, that's about it. I have them on my car, even with the closed airbox I don't notice any difference in throttle response or IAT drops. I'm up in the air on them and would not recommend them.
That's what I thought....thanks for the unbiased review.
__________________

COBB AP|CP-e|ETS|ER|Forge DVs|KW V1|M3 Sways|BBS CH|BMS|
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 11:40 AM   #14
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
United_States
244
Rep
18,382
Posts


 
Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TopGearSolutions.com

iTrader: (32)

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
They allow more air into the engine bay. A guy did a test a while back using a leaf blower (as wind).

He placed a candle where the DCI sits and blew air at the front of the car with and without scoops.

Sure enough with the scoops the candle blew out.

This is not any seat of the pants power gain by any means but it atleast proves it does direct air towards the cones moreso then without the scoops.

I'm not ashamed to recommend them.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 11:43 AM   #15
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
vasillalov's Avatar
Bulgaria
84
Rep
4,196
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 335i E90  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
They allow more air into the engine bay. A guy did a test a while back using a leaf blower (as wind).

He placed a candle where the DCI sits and blew air at the front of the car with and without scoops.

Sure enough with the scoops the candle blew out.
.

WOW! Now THAT's the scientific approach that excites everyone around here!
__________________
Equal Opportunity Harasser!
6MT | COBB | AR | AE | Forge DV | HPF | P3 Gauge | Hybrid Intake | O.S.Giken TCD | All M3 bits | TCKLine | StopTech
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 11:50 AM   #16
G.I.Joe
Captain
G.I.Joe's Avatar
Denmark
9
Rep
903
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i 2008
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

iTrader: (0)

Well I measured an average ~2 degree drop in oil temps as well as a slight performance gain at speed (+60 mph) (Vbox measurements) upon installing the Cyba Scoops. At high speed (120 mph+) the temperature drop is even higher. I use the AFE stage 2 DCI kit, so maybe it is more affected by the scoops than a closed air box.

They do however, also add quite a bit of dust in the engine compartment though.....
__________________
E92 335i 2008 Space Grey 6MT | RB turbos | Quaife LSD | M3 Suspension kit | Íhlins Road & Track Coilover | DEFIVfab N54 diff lockdown kit | COBB PTF E50 map | Walbro E85 455 LPH LPFP | NGK 5992 plugs | Wagner FMIC | Wagner 3" DP | Milltek exhaust | STETT CP | Forge DV | AFE Stage 2 DCI | SPEC Stage 3+ clutch | SPEC S SM Flywheel | BMS CDV
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 11:56 AM   #17
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
United_States
244
Rep
18,382
Posts


 
Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TopGearSolutions.com

iTrader: (32)

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
WOW! Now THAT's the scientific approach that excites everyone around here!
OK
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 12:30 PM   #18
ajsalida
Lieutenant Colonel
ajsalida's Avatar
20
Rep
1,732
Posts

 
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SW USA

iTrader: (2)

If it lets a lot more dirt and stuff in it has to let a lot more cold air in. It would probably be a good idea to put some mesh on the end of the cold air inlet inside the engine compartment for those running open DCI's.

I have a set on order will look carefully at temps before/after.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 01:35 PM   #19
G.I.Joe
Captain
G.I.Joe's Avatar
Denmark
9
Rep
903
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i 2008
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
If it lets a lot more dirt and stuff in it has to let a lot more cold air in. It would probably be a good idea to put some mesh on the end of the cold air inlet inside the engine compartment for those running open DCI's.

I have a set on order will look carefully at temps before/after.
I'm sure you'll be happy with them, I know I am with mine. I drive on the autobahn quite a bit, and I frequently hit 150+ mph (at least weekly, sometimes daily), and up there it's easily a 5+ degree difference in max oil temp. Obviously it does nothing for rush hour/down town traffic @ ~30 mph.

I measured a ~1.5-2 mph gain in average quartermile end speed as well on my Vbox. Quite consistently actually, and the improvement was from 60 and up.

For the 41 dollars I spent, I would say it's a great upgrade.
__________________
E92 335i 2008 Space Grey 6MT | RB turbos | Quaife LSD | M3 Suspension kit | Íhlins Road & Track Coilover | DEFIVfab N54 diff lockdown kit | COBB PTF E50 map | Walbro E85 455 LPH LPFP | NGK 5992 plugs | Wagner FMIC | Wagner 3" DP | Milltek exhaust | STETT CP | Forge DV | AFE Stage 2 DCI | SPEC Stage 3+ clutch | SPEC S SM Flywheel | BMS CDV
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 01:54 PM   #20
ajsalida
Lieutenant Colonel
ajsalida's Avatar
20
Rep
1,732
Posts

 
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SW USA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
I'm sure you'll be happy with them, I know I am with mine. I drive on the autobahn quite a bit, and I frequently hit 150+ mph (at least weekly, sometimes daily), and up there it's easily a 5+ degree difference in max oil temp. Obviously it does nothing for rush hour/down town traffic @ ~30 mph.

I measured a ~1.5-2 mph gain in average quartermile end speed as well on my Vbox. Quite consistently actually, and the improvement was from 60 and up.

For the 41 dollars I spent, I would say it's a great upgrade.
Good to know. I live @ 7800 ft altitude, and drive up to 12k ft all the time. I put both a DCI and Cobb tune on, and oil temps are higher, by a lot. Was hoping these would help out. Have an ETS FMIC on order too.

Anyway $41 for some relief is a welcome break from traditional BMW aftermarket pricing.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 02:18 PM   #21
G.I.Joe
Captain
G.I.Joe's Avatar
Denmark
9
Rep
903
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i 2008
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
Good to know. I live @ 7800 ft altitude, and drive up to 12k ft all the time. I put both a DCI and Cobb tune on, and oil temps are higher, by a lot. Was hoping these would help out. Have an ETS FMIC on order too.

Anyway $41 for some relief is a welcome break from traditional BMW aftermarket pricing.
A welcome break indeed

Anyway, the FMIC will help A LOT, the scoops a little on temps. I basically live and drive at sea level, but I do remember back before I upgraded my FMIC when driving spirited through hairpins in the Austrian Alps [~7k feet altitude) how my oil temp increased another 8-10 degress over any previous use.
__________________
E92 335i 2008 Space Grey 6MT | RB turbos | Quaife LSD | M3 Suspension kit | Íhlins Road & Track Coilover | DEFIVfab N54 diff lockdown kit | COBB PTF E50 map | Walbro E85 455 LPH LPFP | NGK 5992 plugs | Wagner FMIC | Wagner 3" DP | Milltek exhaust | STETT CP | Forge DV | AFE Stage 2 DCI | SPEC Stage 3+ clutch | SPEC S SM Flywheel | BMS CDV
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 02:51 PM   #22
ajsalida
Lieutenant Colonel
ajsalida's Avatar
20
Rep
1,732
Posts

 
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SW USA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
A welcome break indeed

Anyway, the FMIC will help A LOT, the scoops a little on temps. I basically live and drive at sea level, but I do remember back before I upgraded my FMIC when driving spirited through hairpins in the Austrian Alps [~7k feet altitude) how my oil temp increased another 8-10 degress over any previous use.
Yeah you'll get screwed (at least) three ways at altitude.

1) Less air means things like radiators, oil coolers and esp INTERCOOLERs are less efficient, since there is less dense air to transfer the heat to.

2. Turbos have to spool up harder to hit target MAP pressures, so more heat produced.

3. More of the target MAP pressure is from pressurized air, so the air is hotter. But then go to 1) and see that FMIC is less efficient etc.

Anyway in my case the oil temps got so hot so fast I decided to shut it down until I can get a better FMIC. I want to do some baseline runs and datalog but I am afraid to look at IAT's right now, so driving very conservatively.

All my other cars (& bikes) are NA and are down 25% plus in power at these altitudes. One reason to get the 335 was the turbos to get some of it back.

Back to the scoops, my hope is they at least counteract the likely increased IAT's due to the DCI (but better air flow), plus the better FMIC, will get things to where I can thrash it at will and not worry about oil or IAT temps. This is with Cobb stage 1 91 octane tunes. Get those reliable and I'll try the stage 1 93 octane tunes...
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:42 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST