E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Why are used Aston Martin's and Maseratis' so cheap?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-01-2011, 07:15 PM   #23
freshwhite335
Colonel
 
freshwhite335's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 135i DCT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: 904 FL

Posts: 2,839
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
A couple of friends have V8 Vantages that they use as daily drivers and they've been rock solid for years.
__________________
2012 991 C2S
Still have BMW's in the family:
2003 E39 M5, 2009 F01 750i, 2010 E92 335i
freshwhite335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-02-2011, 12:50 PM   #24
qnsblvd
Long Time Lurker
 
Drives: None
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 28
iTrader: (0)

I think there's some other things going on here too.

Psychologically, I don't think very many people want to spend $50-70K or more on a used car, no matter how prestigious the brand name might be. I feel like someone who has a big budget like that would just rather have a new "lesser" car. I think a lot of people would say, well, why should I screw around on a musty used car lot looking a 1-6 year old V8 Vantage or Gallardo or Quattroporte when I can have say, a new 7 Series or E92 or C63.

Don't forget also that insurance will still be sky-high too, since the repair costs are still through the roof. It's not like Aston Martin starts selling replacement headlamps or bumpers for $200 just because the resale value collapsed.

Also, a lot of banks/loan companies will not finance that much money for a used car. That shrinks the market even further. Not to mention the economy sucks.
qnsblvd is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-02-2011, 03:22 PM   #25
xsilvor
Captain
 
xsilvor's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 826
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
This thread is asking why Aston Martins and Maseratis depreciate so much so quickly and people respond by saying that it's due to depreciation. Brilliant.
No, the thread is asking why the posted vehicles are so cheap, and the answer being given is depreciation.

These cars take huge hits from depreciation in their first few years, but the ridiculously low prices being referenced are illegitimate, and their 45k list price has nothing to do with depreciation - just the ease of praying on fools on the interwebs
__________________
Some say he roams around the woods at night foraging for wolves.


2011 E92 M3 DCT - Silverstone II.Black/Gray.Carbon/DINAN
2008 E92 M3 DCT (RIP) - Jet Black.Black.Carbon
xsilvor is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-02-2011, 11:01 PM   #26
freshwhite335
Colonel
 
freshwhite335's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 135i DCT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: 904 FL

Posts: 2,839
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by qnsblvd View Post
I think there's some other things going on here too.

Psychologically, I don't think very many people want to spend $50-70K or more on a used car, no matter how prestigious the brand name might be. I feel like someone who has a big budget like that would just rather have a new "lesser" car. I think a lot of people would say, well, why should I screw around on a musty used car lot looking a 1-6 year old V8 Vantage or Gallardo or Quattroporte when I can have say, a new 7 Series or E92 or C63.

Don't forget also that insurance will still be sky-high too, since the repair costs are still through the roof. It's not like Aston Martin starts selling replacement headlamps or bumpers for $200 just because the resale value collapsed.

Also, a lot of banks/loan companies will not finance that much money for a used car. That shrinks the market even further. Not to mention the economy sucks.
I disagree with everything you just said. The exotic car marketplace is huge and having a "new" car isn't as important to some people as a specific exotic model or brand.
__________________
2012 991 C2S
Still have BMW's in the family:
2003 E39 M5, 2009 F01 750i, 2010 E92 335i
freshwhite335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-05-2011, 05:00 PM   #27
eamon
Captain
 
eamon's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 e92 335i, 2010 328i (sold)
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dallas

Posts: 790
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
This thread is asking why Aston Martins and Maseratis depreciate so much so quickly and people respond by saying that it's due to depreciation. Brilliant.
__________________
black/black/black e92 loaded
Instagram: _eamon_
eamon is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-05-2011, 08:16 PM   #28
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
 
NewYearsBoy's Avatar
 
Drives: IS 300
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bradenton FL

Posts: 2,365
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshwhite335 View Post
I disagree with everything you just said. The exotic car marketplace is huge and having a "new" car isn't as important to some people as a specific exotic model or brand.
I agree^^ People that have serious money still do.. And used exotics are still $$$$..
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------------

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
NewYearsBoy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-05-2011, 09:37 PM   #29
yakev724
Brigadier General
 
yakev724's Avatar
 
Drives: 00 RX300
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ithaca, NY

Posts: 3,559
iTrader: (49)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnsblvd View Post
I think there's some other things going on here too.

Psychologically, I don't think very many people want to spend $50-70K or more on a used car, no matter how prestigious the brand name might be. I feel like someone who has a big budget like that would just rather have a new "lesser" car. I think a lot of people would say, well, why should I screw around on a musty used car lot looking a 1-6 year old V8 Vantage or Gallardo or Quattroporte when I can have say, a new 7 Series or E92 or C63.

Don't forget also that insurance will still be sky-high too, since the repair costs are still through the roof. It's not like Aston Martin starts selling replacement headlamps or bumpers for $200 just because the resale value collapsed.

Also, a lot of banks/loan companies will not finance that much money for a used car. That shrinks the market even further. Not to mention the economy sucks.
I agree. It's one of the problems with the economy, the wealthy not spending money. Plenty of 1-2mil homes around here with hyundais in the driveway simply because they're the cheapest (new) cars to own and their owners are more concerned with their kids' educations than what they're driving.

And the rapid depreciation of the cars mentioned by OP (100k+ mercs come to mind especially) is due to the high insurance rates which come about as a result of high repair/maintenance cost. It's always been this way.

In the current market, the lack of available buyers is offset by the margin of wealthy owners who have lost their money and are forced to sell (resulting in good deals), and as a result, I wouldn't be surprised if a 50k vantage popped up every once in a while.
yakev724 is offline   Russian Federation
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:51 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST