E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > AWD-RWD Suspension difference

10-28-2014, 08:20 AM   #1
corbzin
Registered
Rep

Drives: 2009 335i x drive

AWD-RWD Suspension difference

I'm wondering what are the key components that are different from the AWD and RWD suspension wise on my 335. Am I able to run rwd coilovers without any issues?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 09:34 AM   #2
David1
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Rear is the same, front is completely different.
      10-29-2014, 08:22 PM   #3
gtaccord
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2009 BMW 335xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
What he said. To answer your question directly, no rwd coilovers will not work on an awd car and vice versa.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 10:38 PM   #4
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
what he said.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 09:05 PM   #5
JC335xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 07 e90 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaccord View Post
What he said. To answer your question directly, no rwd coilovers will not work on an awd car and vice versa.
This is not entirely true. There are people using rwd coilovers on xdrive cars. As far as the struts go, the ones on the xi are just shorter to rwd. Coilovers with adjustable length bodies (ie. BCRacing and similar) can be used. They just wont go as low as they would on a rwd car.

Last edited by JC335xi; 11-04-2014 at 07:10 AM. Reason: poor punctuation
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 09:23 PM   #6
jwzimm
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: '11 335i X-drive Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC335xi View Post
This is not entirely true. There are people using rwd coilovers on xdrive cars. As far as the struts go the ones on the xi are just shorter to rwd coilovers with adjustable length bodies (ie. BCRacing and similar) can be used. They just wont go as low as they would on a rwd car.
Incorrect. The front struts will not fit in to the AWD knuckles (people have tried). The RWD front struts have a little tab on them that controls how far down into the knuckle they go, the AWD ones do not have this. They have a specially shaped end with an alignment post that slips into the spread open pinch point and seats into a landing.

As was said before, the rears are a direct swap though.

Here is a thread where some dummy thought about grinding out the Xi knuckle. He was given better advice: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=strut+grind
      11-04-2014, 07:03 AM   #7
JC335xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 07 e90 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm View Post
Incorrect. The front struts will not fit in to the AWD knuckles (people have tried). The RWD front struts have a little tab on them that controls how far down into the knuckle they go, the AWD ones do not have this. They have a specially shaped end with an alignment post that slips into the spread open pinch point and seats into a landing.

As was said before, the rears are a direct swap though.

Here is a thread where some dummy thought about grinding out the Xi knuckle. He was given better advice: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=strut+grind

Read the part in bold below. That "dummy" was trying to use a standard replacement strut which is not what I said would work.

Quote:
This is not entirely true. There are people using rwd coilovers on xdrive cars. As far as the struts go the ones on the xi are just shorter to rwd. Coilovers with adjustable length bodies (ie. BCRacing and similar) can be used. They just wont go as low as they would on a rwd car.

Example of RWD coilovers on AWD car...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ight=bc+racing

"Dude your retarded. It's 6x 6466's they hit full boost at 15k and they weigh enough to get the stance right"

Last edited by JC335xi; 11-04-2014 at 07:09 AM.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 08:39 PM   #8
jwzimm
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: '11 335i X-drive Coupe

Quote:
Read the part in bold below. That "dummy" was trying to use a standard replacement strut which is not what I said would work.

Example of RWD coilovers on AWD car...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ight=bc+racing

I sincerely doubt that his struts fit properly. The pinch point in the knuckle is very different on an AWD vs a RWD and he likely either made some modifications or actually has an AWD version (despite what he says). The fit on the knuckle pinch is very close tolerance and it is very doubtful the RWD struts will properly seat in them. He may also have just stuck the strut into the knuckle and it is not properly retained. If that is the case and his suspension unloads the strut could unseat from the knuckle and the front would collapse. The point is, parts designed (properly) for a RWD BMW will not fit correctly in an AWD BMW. This is suspension work here. They are some of the more highly loaded parts on the car. Do not compromise.

I am speaking from first hand experience here. I personally installed my KW V1's and have seen the parts in question.