E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Has anyone put brake caliper covers on before?

11-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #23
froop
Colonel

Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni
Gsier the fact that them look l'me, number of thse cliner convers are know to melt under hard braking i let you imagine the service Bill to fix that."
Wha?
Procede Rev 3 | PWM Meth | Mr5 Intake | AFE Scoops | ER FMIC | ER CP | TiAl BOV | AR Catless DPs | CP-E Exhaust | Forgestar F14s | M3 Strut Tower Brace | M3 Front Arms | M3 F + R Sway Bars | M3 Rear End Conversion | Moton Clubsports with Swift Springs | Vorshlag Camber Plates | ECS 2-Piece Rotors | SS Lines | Cool Carbons | BR Half Cage | BMWP SSK | BMWP Interior/Exterior Goodies | Blacklines | P3 Gauge | 1M Interior |
froop is offline   Australia
      11-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #24
Meateatr
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2008 328i 6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
Wha?
Is there a Tennessee to English translator?
      11-12-2013, 09:49 AM   #25
Former USMC
Private

Drives: 2013 335is Crimson Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashimarho View Post
Stupid idea.
Nope...get 'em. You can get a variety of colors and logos. Easy to install. Looks much better than paint - IMHO.

http://www.calipercovers.com/_e/dept...-011/22211.htm

Semper Fi
Former USMC is offline   United_States
      02-16-2014, 12:33 PM   #26
SSW
I Can't Drive 55

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (E90)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Former USMC View Post
Nope...get 'em. You can get a variety of colors and logos. Easy to install. Looks much better than paint - IMHO.

http://www.calipercovers.com/_e/dept...-011/22211.htm

Semper Fi
Thinking about getting these. Not for "bling" but mainly to try to reduce brake dust. I'm cleaning the brake dust off my wheels once a week and it's a real PITA!

If I buy them, I'll buy them in black to match my car but also in order to NOT to look like a complete poser. LOL!
      02-16-2014, 12:54 PM   #27
ClamDigger
Private

Drives: 2010 335 xi, Premium & Sport

Saw a car with these a couple weeks ago and they looked cheap as hell. Paint or powder coat them man.
ClamDigger is offline   United_States
      02-16-2014, 01:27 PM   #28
SSW
I Can't Drive 55

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (E90)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClamDigger View Post
Saw a car with these a couple weeks ago and they looked cheap as hell. Paint or powder coat them man.
Yeah, I've read the various threads that flame on this idea but I've also seen pics of them and I don't think they look THAT bad, especially if you get the custom engraved version w/"BMW"on them. OBTW these are NOT cheap! The cost for custom engraved covers is $270 from MGP. So, these are NOT the tacky and phony "Brembo" plastic glue-on covers that you see on eBay.

Also painting or powdercoating the calipers is just too much trouble and costly to me and doesn't really deal with the problem that I'm "hoping" the covers will solve, which is excessive brake dust residue on the wheels. However, I've also read posts by owners of these caliper covers who say that they don't really help in reducing brake dust and that's the main reason I'm probably NOT going to buy them especially for that price.

On the other hand, $270 is certainly no more than others would pay for essentially useless body parts like mirror covers, spoilers, diffusers, etc. The MGP covers look well made and are very easy to install or remove. So, I "may" get them but, if I do, it'll just be a "bling" fling

BUT, if you just want to cover up the calipers (which I think look "unfinished"), I really don't think they look that bad as long as you get them in BLACK. The one's I've seen in red standout too much. See for yourself. Here are some pics of the black custom engraved covers mounted on a 2006 650i Coupe that I found online:

Last edited by SSW; 02-16-2014 at 07:56 PM.
SSW is online now   United_States
      02-16-2014, 02:19 PM   #29
Technika
Private

Drives: 2006 E90 325i

I think people are under the impression that you're buying caliper covers such as the fake Brembo's to give the appearance of having a BBK while running stock brakes. That i think is just cheap and riced out. Though the above pictures with a cover that fits onto the stock brakes and merely keeps them clean seems relatively fine to me, its not trying to be something that its not.
      02-17-2014, 03:48 PM   #30
Casca
Captain

Drives: E90 6MT

They should try to market it as being a heatsink for your calipers to help them stay cool with heavy use. And make it look as such. Then all the people that shit all over covers will have an excuse to want it.