E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > iPOD Problems ???



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-09-2007, 07:35 AM   #1
baddabing
Private
baddabing's Avatar
Ireland
0
Rep
96
Posts

 
Drives: E70 X5 30sd
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Dublin

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Unhappy iPOD Problems ???

I have the ipod interface fitted non idrive type and I am having a problem.When I go to select the ipod via the CDC button it comes back with the message error insert mag. This is the second time for this to happen, first time it sorted itself out straight away but this time no such luck

Anyone with ideas ??
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2007, 08:12 AM   #2
NFS
Major General
NFS's Avatar
United Kingdom
112
Rep
9,216
Posts

 
Drives: 335i m-sport LCI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddabing View Post
I have the ipod interface fitted non idrive type and I am having a problem.When I go to select the ipod via the CDC button it comes back with the message error insert mag. This is the second time for this to happen, first time it sorted itself out straight away but this time no such luck

Anyone with ideas ??
Are you using the special BMW cable? I don't have the ipod connection unfortunately, but from what I have read I believe that the functionality is limited unless you have this.

It seems that it stops the ipod switching modes and allows the car to browse the ipod structure.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2007, 10:32 AM   #3
baddabing
Private
baddabing's Avatar
Ireland
0
Rep
96
Posts

 
Drives: E70 X5 30sd
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Dublin

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Yes got the BMW original parts interface dealer installed.When it is working it gives full control via steering wheel buttons and is a great bit of kit. Maybe its a software bug so it might mean a trip to the dealership....................!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2007, 07:39 PM   #4
simnew
Private First Class
1
Rep
110
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E91 LCI 330d SE Auto
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

No the problem is with your IPOD. Make sure you reboot it and it should be fine again.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2007, 07:40 PM   #5
simnew
Private First Class
1
Rep
110
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E91 LCI 330d SE Auto
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Sometimes if you leave the IPOD in the car a long time and the battery really runs down, it doesn't even have enough juice to boot up properly and connect to the BMW system. Charge it in a dock for a short while and reboot it and then you should find it will be ok
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2007, 06:48 AM   #6
baddabing
Private
baddabing's Avatar
Ireland
0
Rep
96
Posts

 
Drives: E70 X5 30sd
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Dublin

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Smile

Thanks for the replys guys.. Funny thing is that it is working again so on the basis of what Simnew suggested I think I will take the iPod out and give it a charge and reboot. Its amazing how we get used to having all that music at our fingertips when driving
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2007, 08:06 AM   #7
NFS
Major General
NFS's Avatar
United Kingdom
112
Rep
9,216
Posts

 
Drives: 335i m-sport LCI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddabing View Post
Thanks for the replys guys.. Funny thing is that it is working again so on the basis of what Simnew suggested I think I will take the iPod out and give it a charge and reboot. Its amazing how we get used to having all that music at our fingertips when driving
Have you got it set to auto switch off?

Mine switches itself of even when it's hooked up to the car via base connector to aux in.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2007, 10:17 AM   #8
baddabing
Private
baddabing's Avatar
Ireland
0
Rep
96
Posts

 
Drives: E70 X5 30sd
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Dublin

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
hi again,
with the interface iPod is always on afaik, because it is in the glovebox I dont have it in sight at all times. Iwill try Simnews tips and see if it helps.

Happy Driving.

p.s just reading Autocars article on 335d
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2007, 11:10 AM   #9
NFS
Major General
NFS's Avatar
United Kingdom
112
Rep
9,216
Posts

 
Drives: 335i m-sport LCI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddabing View Post
hi again,
with the interface iPod is always on afaik, because it is in the glovebox I dont have it in sight at all times. Iwill try Simnews tips and see if it helps.

Happy Driving.

p.s just reading Autocars article on 335d
It should be always on if the car is on and it's charging the ipod, but with my aux in connection once the car is switched off the ipod goes back to stand alone mode and switches itself to standby after a few minutes.

That way it never full discharges.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2007, 06:14 PM   #10
msimon18
Retired
msimon18's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
868
Posts

 
Drives: Z4 s30i
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The Villages, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Hey --- I have been reading this thread due to an issue I have been having with my ipod in my E93 with Nav / iDrive and 6FL. I have had the car for 2 weeks and all has been fine until last evening.

First off - it is a 30GB photo iPod 5th generation. It is 2 months old. I got it about 6 weeks prior to getting the car with the intention of only using it in the car. When I received it I fully charged it and then setup ITunes software and downbloaded about 300 albums to it from my digital library. Again all worked fine at that time.

When I received the car I plugged it in with the 6fl cable set (brick and cables for aux and USB connections). The car found it immediately when I went to aux and it worked fine for the past 2 weeks.

Last night I took the iPod out of the car to update the device name and to modify the album / songs loaded on it to make them a bit easier to find. When I turned it on (before I connected it to the PC) I immediately got a dead battery indication and the device would not start up. As someone said earlier I left it charging for a few minutes then did a reset and it came up fine. After I turned it off I connected it to the PC and everythoing was fine. I did my updates etc. and left it plugged in overnight and this AM had a fully charged indication.

I then took it out and plugged it into the car and it would not come up. "Low battery indication" on the iPod display. I did several iPod resets and then finally got to the point where it would come on. I then turned it on and plugged it in. After a few seconds it worked fine again.

During the day today I made several trips with the car and 2 of 6 times I restarted the car the iPod would not come on. Again - low battery indication each timne. After futzing with it it worked again each time.

When I got home I decided to leave the iPod outside the glove box to see if if it operated correctly when the car was turned off. On all but 1 ocassion I found that after 90 seconds the car reemoved power form the iPod (flashing charge indicator demonstrates this) and after an additional 120 seconds the iPod went to sleep (off). On one ocassion the iPod did NOT GO TO SLEEP and although the backlight went off the iPod was STILLL ON AND STAYED ON.

There has been no time in the last 2 weeks where the car has sat idle for more than 1 day.

Here is the question - is the issue with my iPod or the 6fl adapter ?? I just ordered a new iPod battery.

Thoughts ??
__________________

M3 GTR - 1/5 scale - 4.2 HP w/ Collari hydraulic brakes - would you believe ~80 MPH on straightaway !!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 09:41 AM   #11
NFS
Major General
NFS's Avatar
United Kingdom
112
Rep
9,216
Posts

 
Drives: 335i m-sport LCI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msimon18 View Post
Hey --- I have been reading this thread due to an issue I have been having with my ipod in my E93 with Nav / iDrive and 6FL. I have had the car for 2 weeks and all has been fine until last evening.

First off - it is a 30GB photo iPod 5th generation. It is 2 months old. I got it about 6 weeks prior to getting the car with the intention of only using it in the car. When I received it I fully charged it and then setup ITunes software and downbloaded about 300 albums to it from my digital library. Again all worked fine at that time.

When I received the car I plugged it in with the 6fl cable set (brick and cables for aux and USB connections). The car found it immediately when I went to aux and it worked fine for the past 2 weeks.

Last night I took the iPod out of the car to update the device name and to modify the album / songs loaded on it to make them a bit easier to find. When I turned it on (before I connected it to the PC) I immediately got a dead battery indication and the device would not start up. As someone said earlier I left it charging for a few minutes then did a reset and it came up fine. After I turned it off I connected it to the PC and everythoing was fine. I did my updates etc. and left it plugged in overnight and this AM had a fully charged indication.

I then took it out and plugged it into the car and it would not come up. "Low battery indication" on the iPod display. I did several iPod resets and then finally got to the point where it would come on. I then turned it on and plugged it in. After a few seconds it worked fine again.

During the day today I made several trips with the car and 2 of 6 times I restarted the car the iPod would not come on. Again - low battery indication each timne. After futzing with it it worked again each time.

When I got home I decided to leave the iPod outside the glove box to see if if it operated correctly when the car was turned off. On all but 1 ocassion I found that after 90 seconds the car reemoved power form the iPod (flashing charge indicator demonstrates this) and after an additional 120 seconds the iPod went to sleep (off). On one ocassion the iPod did NOT GO TO SLEEP and although the backlight went off the iPod was STILLL ON AND STAYED ON.

There has been no time in the last 2 weeks where the car has sat idle for more than 1 day.

Here is the question - is the issue with my iPod or the 6fl adapter ?? I just ordered a new iPod battery.

Thoughts ??
Presume you have the ipod set go to sleep (it is on the system menus somewhere).

I think it's more likely to be a car problem, but the test you did would not always prove effective.

The car doesn't always go straight into sleep mode itself.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 10:25 AM   #12
baddabing
Private
baddabing's Avatar
Ireland
0
Rep
96
Posts

 
Drives: E70 X5 30sd
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Dublin

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
My iPod has been working fine since my last post on the subject. I know I need to do an update on the pc for the iPod but I am kind of wary to do so. Will give it a go over the next day or so and fingers crossed ot will continue to work properly.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 10:58 AM   #13
peterg1965
Brigadier General
peterg1965's Avatar
United Kingdom
56
Rep
4,138
Posts

 
Drives: MY12 Range Rover Sport HSE
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The place of dark satanic mills, UK

iTrader: (0)

Presumably those nice people from BMW provide you with an iPod cable when you specify the 6FL option.....
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:25 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST