E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 17" Winter tyres - yes again, sorry!

Closed Thread

11-14-2011, 09:20 AM   #89
Statler
Major Pain in the Arse

Drives: E92 320D M Sport

It's my topic and I'm taking it home now......
Statler is offline   United Kingdom
      11-14-2011, 09:21 AM   #90
kaishang
Colonel

Drives: 2010 E90 330d

Ahh ok, my bad.

FWIW: if someone offered to fit winter tyres to my car for free, then I would have these in preference to summer tyres: not because I think they offer better performance at typical winter temperatures because the available data does not support this - the data suggests there is a marginal difference.

I'd take the winter tyres for the insurance they provide in the event it does snow and because summer tyres really do suck when it snows.

But - that's if the cost was zero; the cost in money and time isn't zero and going on long term averages, it probably will not snow anywhere I'm likely to drive in the next 3 months. Hence no winter tyes for me. If it snows, my car (and bike) is parked for the duration.

The only thing I get irate about is when "magical snake oil" claims about winter tyres are made ie that they don't cost anything because they reduce wear on your regular tyres (how about the costs of the genuine BMW rims so as not to invalidate your insurance, the higher cost of RFT winters cf summers, the cost of fitting, storage etc and you are always going to have to unload a set of rims or rims + half used tyres at some stage) or that they somehow make your car much much better at around 5+C while your summer tyres have turned to rocks.....
      11-14-2011, 09:22 AM   #91
kaishang
Colonel

Drives: 2010 E90 330d

Jeeps how many hours have I spent on winter tyre threads now!?!?!!??!
Closed Thread