E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > World without mass religion



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-11-2007, 06:43 PM   #23
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
 
UncleWede's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

Posts: 2,291
iTrader: (0)

Lord, I am not worthy to receive you , but only say the word and I shall be HEALED. I accepted that JC was brutally killed as a totally innocent lamb, so that I (and all of you) might have the opportunity to join him in paradise. You need only ask, and it will be so.

Now, how would the world be without the organized religions? I don't think it would be very different. Person/group A would still hate and want to destroy person/group B, especially since they are somehow perceived as different, either by looks or foods or actions. It matters not if you are a (insert religious name here) there is still someone who is not a (insert religious name here) and so you think they are less deserving than you, so they should go somewhere else, or give you what they have. But if you take away (insert religious name here), that person probably wants EXACTLY the same thing you do: to live, breathe, and enjoy the world around you, play with your kids. It could be a religious thing, or a race thing, it's unfortunately a human nature thing for the majority of us struggling to be alive.
UncleWede is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-12-2007, 11:02 AM   #24
bullitt5897
Second Lieutenant
 
bullitt5897's Avatar
 
Drives: is300
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: atl

Posts: 249
iTrader: (0)

Is God real? Are we the result of Random Science?

For me the answer is clear. Only because I almost died before I truely learned. My life has been full of accidents and craziness. at the age of 8 I almost bleed out after being hit in the face with a 9 Iron golf club. at age 11 I almost lost my leg to falling 20ft from a creek swing and landed in jagged rocks cutting a 16in gash to the bone and had to walk a mile home again almost bleed out. at age 12 I almost drowned at a summer camp and this is where my life forever changed. Each of those three events I should have died so the doctors say. The third one I still have a hard time grasping. I was a pretty strong swimmer but after exhausting my self earlier and not taking the time to rest I tried to swim across the lake at the camp with a few other friends. Needless to say I couldnt make it and fell just short by 20 or 30 ft. The lake was 30+ ft deep where I went under and it was a man made lake with just silt,rocks and sand on the bottom. I went under and shouldnt of come up again but something pushed me up out of the water I was cramped and couldnt swim but I was pushed close enough to where a consoler could jump in and help me out of the water. there was no one else in the water at the time I was drowning and the only time someone was in the water was after I came up and my friends pointed me out to the consoler. It wasnt till after this event that I truely realized how precious life really is.

For several days I took for myself and thought alone. I came to the realization that something had a love for me and didnt want me to die. atleast not yet anyhow. I started to study anything and everything I could get my hands on about christianity. I became a Christian and devoted Most of my teenage years studying theology and religion in general. I went to private school halfway through middle school and that helped me find the means to study religion and faith. Christianity is based off of 3 things: Love, relationship, Forgiveness.

Love: God showed us Love again and again. The Bible recommends that we show the love that was given to us, to all of our fellow men/women.

Relationship: Christianity at its base is simply a relationship with God. He strives to have one with us and actively in our everyday puts chances for us to see him and get closer to him.

Forgiveness: God Forgave us at the Garden of Eden, the Flood, with Christ...etc. We are encouraged to show that forgiveness to all of our fellowman no matter what their trespass they have committed.

I strive in each one of these areas but its not an easy task given that we are a people of natural rebellion. And thus, also a people of sin not only to God but each other. I find my self cursing people and holding hatred in my heart. I strive to forgive and forget, to love everyone, and to seek a closer relationship with God. I am very much blessed in many ways since I was born and even more know that I have strived for this faith and relationship.

I come across many problems for me. One being my GF does not share the same beliefs that I do. she is buddhist and I am christian she feels if she shares my beliefs she will lose her culture. I dont push her to become christian but I do allow her the chance to see all sides of faiths, religions, and beliefs. I feel its her choice not mine for her and I wish for her to see the light for herself. I am an enabler not the decision maker. I love my GF and plan on marrying her.

Without religion I believe the world wouldnt change much.

Without Faith I believe all good would vanish. Without God there would be no light to the darkness of this world. I find that with out the love of true christianity the "AGAPE LOVE" (Agape is Hebrew for God's Love) the world not have hope.

If you guys want to talk theology I would love to join in and share my knowledge.

Peace to all of you and God bless!!!
Mike
bullitt5897 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-12-2007, 01:19 PM   #25
Max_!
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: E91
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Europe

Posts: 350
iTrader: (0)

If you believe in one true god and understand why you do not believe in any of the other gods, you will understand why I don't believe in yours.

We're all atheists, I just believe in one less god than you do.

Actually, I'm so unreligous, I think atheism smacks of religion.

Still, the reason people so easily believe in a deity is because it's hardwired into your brain. It's a coping mechanism for the existential questions that come with sentience combined with lack of knowledge. Being able to believe in a god or voodoo or Mao or greenpeace or $300 speaker cable or whatever solves that problem neatly, and it has an evolutionary advantage: People who believe have reduced stress levels and therefore live longer.

I have no need for a god, or any sort of supernatural being or force. Nor do I have an existential problem with unresolved questions. Buy I still find myself believing in things I cannot verify. (Although nothing as ludicrous as a god)
Max_! is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-12-2007, 01:30 PM   #26
Max_!
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: E91
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Europe

Posts: 350
iTrader: (0)

> she is buddhist and I am christian

I'm truly happy you've found a way to deal with your childhood trauma.
But what makes you more right than her?

At least in buddhism you don't have the power-hungry, money-grabbing, warmongering, murderous, deceiving pedophiles you find so often throughout the history of Christianity.

Sorry, your particular brand of god might be real and perhaps even worthy of worship, but his ground crew sux bigtime.
Max_! is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-12-2007, 01:49 PM   #27
ATG
Major
 
ATG's Avatar
 
Drives: f30 328 xdrive, e90 335i gone
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Eastside

Posts: 1,058
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Max, I like your views. Maybe it's the European enlightment...
ATG is offline   Cuba
0
Reply With Quote
      05-12-2007, 02:01 PM   #28
Dleo
Brigadier General
 
Dleo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 X5
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NYC

Posts: 3,357
iTrader: (2)

i like dane cook's thoughts on Atheism

__________________
Dleo is offline   Cyprus
0
Reply With Quote
      05-12-2007, 03:08 PM   #29
bullitt5897
Second Lieutenant
 
bullitt5897's Avatar
 
Drives: is300
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: atl

Posts: 249
iTrader: (0)

I in no way say I am right and she is wrong. if you read what I said I am an enabler for her to see the light in what she wishes to believe and the decision is hers between religions, faiths, and beliefs. I do not push christianity on my GF I respect her and her beliefs. I just show her what all is out there because she is curious.

Guys everyone believes in something. you may say you dont beleive in God but then what do you believe in? There is no sitting on the fence and not choosing one side or the other. because if you say you dont choose then you have made a choice.

I find that people who dont believe in something usually believe they are fine all by themselves and dont need something greater than themselves. Am I Right or Wrong in this understanding? If this is the case you are simply by default believing you are a god. this is just a simple deduction that if there is no god and you dont need god. then you must be god.

I find that people who believe this are highly narrow minded and havent researched what others believe but make assumptions on Generalities and imperfections of human nature such as "power-hungry, money-grabbing, warmongering, murderous, deceiving pedophiles". Many people confess to be christian but many fail to live how some view they should. its human nature to follow these paths ask any buddhist, christian, or even agnostic. Don't judge christian by the actions of the few. but look at the ideal and belief system and from there make your decision. I dont judge you so dont judge me. I respect that you take a careful eye to what you want to believe.

peace to you guys and take a deep look into what christians truely believe instead of the actions of "catholic priests". Many people claim to be christian and are not.

Mike
bullitt5897 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2007, 02:50 AM   #30
Max_!
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: E91
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Europe

Posts: 350
iTrader: (0)

> you may say you dont beleive in God but then what do you believe in?

Steve Jobs.

> There is no sitting on the fence and not choosing one side or the other.

You are mistaken: There is no fence. It only exists in your mind.

> if you read what I said I am an enabler for her to see the light

Yes, well, if she's not christian, she must be in the dark, right!

Maybe dunking her in some boiling tar will help her light up. Seemed to work for the crusaders.

> believe they are fine all by themselves and dont need something greater than themselves.

I need other people, forsure but I don't need something greater than myself to validate my existence or to make my life worthwhile or help me ease my insecurities.

> then you must be god.

If you say so...
You have no way of proving either way. Surely God can post messages in a forum, right!

And your god says you must kill all buddhists!

> Don't judge christian by the actions of the few.

Oh, but I do!
I judge the inaction of many christians by the action of the few.

> into what christians truely believe instead of the actions of "catholic priests"

Catholic priests are the ones you're supposed to be looking up to for guidance. If god can't even keep his own house in order...

Religious people believe whatever they want to believe. It's an excuse to make their wrongs righteous and to cope with being wronged.

The fiercest believers are poor and mistreated and the worst tyrants do their slaughtering in god's name.

Look, honestly, I generally don't get into discussions like these. There's no point. You will always believe there is a god. You might change religion but your mind cannot cope with the absence of a god so anything I say becomes proof for a god in your mind. (Maybe it's god testing your faith!)
Max_! is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2007, 03:09 AM   #31
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
 
NaTuReB0Y's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 E90
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Inland Empire

Posts: 7,381
iTrader: (12)

Religion is for the weak minds............
__________________
2006 E90 330i Jet Black | 20" WORK VS-XX | FK452 | H&R Sport on Koni Yellow | REMUS QUAD
NaTuReB0Y is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2007, 12:36 PM   #32
bullitt5897
Second Lieutenant
 
bullitt5897's Avatar
 
Drives: is300
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: atl

Posts: 249
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_! View Post
> you may say you dont beleive in God but then what do you believe in?

Steve Jobs.

> There is no sitting on the fence and not choosing one side or the other.

You are mistaken: There is no fence. It only exists in your mind.

> if you read what I said I am an enabler for her to see the light

Yes, well, if she's not christian, she must be in the dark, right!

Maybe dunking her in some boiling tar will help her light up. Seemed to work for the crusaders.

> believe they are fine all by themselves and dont need something greater than themselves.

I need other people, forsure but I don't need something greater than myself to validate my existence or to make my life worthwhile or help me ease my insecurities.

> then you must be god.

If you say so...
You have no way of proving either way. Surely God can post messages in a forum, right!

And your god says you must kill all buddhists!

> Don't judge christian by the actions of the few.

Oh, but I do!
I judge the inaction of many christians by the action of the few.

> into what christians truely believe instead of the actions of "catholic priests"

Catholic priests are the ones you're supposed to be looking up to for guidance. If god can't even keep his own house in order...

Religious people believe whatever they want to believe. It's an excuse to make their wrongs righteous and to cope with being wronged.

The fiercest believers are poor and mistreated and the worst tyrants do their slaughtering in god's name.

Look, honestly, I generally don't get into discussions like these. There's no point. You will always believe there is a god. You might change religion but your mind cannot cope with the absence of a god so anything I say becomes proof for a god in your mind. (Maybe it's god testing your faith!)

First You dont need to attack the relationship I have with My GF on this. I support her in whatever she believes. She has an interest in other religions as well as her own. I am just showing her what each one has to offer and what many believe are the upsides and downsides of each.

Ok on another note God isnt there to Validate our existence. that is a huge misconception on the concept of God. Secondly So is the worthwhile comment. Do you believe there is air? If you cant see it? does it mean its not there?

Everything in life is worth while. we are not guaranteed one extra second. God isnt our cruch either to ease our insecurities LOL your going to have them with or without him its human nature. Those comments are groundless misconceptions and stereotypes.

I never said you were god I posed that as a rhetorical question. lol got to love a smart ass

WOAH! nothing in the bible says kill anyone or does my God say kill anyone especially Buddhist. But instead Everything about the christian faith says to love your neighbor! to help them and to encourage them. See people see the actions of human nature and because some one claims to be in the name of God doesnt mean they are aka "the crusades", "the Pope", "catholic Priests"... etc. If someone comes in the name of God they come just like Christ did: Simple, Kind, Understanding, Wise, with an presence of authority but doesnt need to show it period., Loving, Caring...etc. you get the picture.

you judge ppl by the inactions that they dont do. well then what have you done to make the world a better place? what puts you on the "almighty" throne to judge others. I know several close friends who have died just to help starving people in third world countries not to initially spread christianity and convert people but to actually help. they were beheaded by the local militia because they wouldnt denounce who they believe in. They didnt go to somalia to save souls but they went there to save a few childrens lives from starvation. you dont here this on the news all the time. but check out Operation Christmas child were little kids get gifts for the first time. and a smile along with hope is put on their face. There is alot of action going on in this world by people believers and non believers alike.

Actually another HUGE Misconception "God cant keep his own house". Sure some believe in catholicism but catholicism is full of man based laws and judgments i.e its ok to sleep with little boys but not women. Catholicism is one of the most corrupt version of religion and isnt truely christian. How can this be you may ask well its simple. Catholics use a man as an intermediary with God and the relationship is between the priest and God instead of the individual. its not a free relationship nor is it free of choice. Catholicism has many superstitions and many flaws. Most of your sly comments about christians come from what catholics do i.e. the crusades.

religion allows for ppl to make their wrongs righteous. LOL now thats a stereotype. Christians are the only faith that I know of that believe that your sins are forgiven along with you trespasses at time of belief. Buddhist you must strive for enlightenment. Most other religions believe that you must do good deeds to get to the next life or heaven or own your own planet. Muslims believe you must die in a holy war to get special treatment in the after life.

Thats true to the fiercest tyrants do due their slaughtering in God's name but does that make it true. hmmm let see if I go and kill thousand of people and say I do it in Max's name does that mean you really sent me to kill all those people? No it doesnt. Most of you accusations and stereotypes are falacies. granted it seems like a good argument but it falls WAY short. thats why this type of argument never has a good ending. now if you want to talk theology i would be more than happy to. I would enjoy the conversation and enjoy the insight from your points of view.

Peace to you brothers
Mike
bullitt5897 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2007, 01:18 PM   #33
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
 
NaTuReB0Y's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 E90
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Inland Empire

Posts: 7,381
iTrader: (12)

Religion is the enemy of progress...........
__________________
2006 E90 330i Jet Black | 20" WORK VS-XX | FK452 | H&R Sport on Koni Yellow | REMUS QUAD
NaTuReB0Y is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2007, 01:42 PM   #34
Max_!
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: E91
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Europe

Posts: 350
iTrader: (0)

> Do you believe there is air? If you cant see it? does it mean its not there?

I know there is air because I can prove the existence of air. Better still, I can prove it contains oxygen.

> nothing in the bible says kill anyone or does my God say kill anyone

Hey, ho, you don't know your bible, man! Plenty of god-sanctioned (even demanded) killing going on, especially in the first few chapters.

> Christians are the only faith that I know of that believe that your sins are forgiven along with you trespasses at time of belief.

With christianity being a minority religion, it's likely then that nothing will be forgiven. But forgiveness is inconsequential if there is no god.

> Muslims believe you must die in a holy war to get special treatment in the after life.

If all christians get special treatment in the afterlife, that means noone does.

> if I go and kill thousand of people and say I do it in Max's name does that mean you really sent me to kill all those people?

Does the fact that I don't stop you killing all those people make me less of a god? Or perhaps an evil one?

Anyways, monotheism was invented by the egyptians in 1345 BC. By Akhenaton (formerly known Amenhotep IV) to be specific (father of Tutankathon who later changed his name to Tutankhamon)

Before that time the idea of just one true god was totally ridiculous. The idea was so ludicrous that they killed him for it and chucked him in a nameless grave. It took centuries before someone tried it again.
Max_! is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2007, 02:37 PM   #35
bullitt5897
Second Lieutenant
 
bullitt5897's Avatar
 
Drives: is300
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: atl

Posts: 249
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_! View Post
> Do you believe there is air? If you cant see it? does it mean its not there?

I know there is air because I can prove the existence of air. Better still, I can prove it contains oxygen.

> nothing in the bible says kill anyone or does my God say kill anyone

Hey, ho, you don't know your bible, man! Plenty of god-sanctioned (even demanded) killing going on, especially in the first few chapters.

> Christians are the only faith that I know of that believe that your sins are forgiven along with you trespasses at time of belief.

With christianity being a minority religion, it's likely then that nothing will be forgiven. But forgiveness is inconsequential if there is no god.

> Muslims believe you must die in a holy war to get special treatment in the after life.

If all christians get special treatment in the afterlife, that means noone does.

> if I go and kill thousand of people and say I do it in Max's name does that mean you really sent me to kill all those people?

Does the fact that I don't stop you killing all those people make me less of a god? Or perhaps an evil one?

Anyways, monotheism was invented by the egyptians in 1345 BC. By Akhenaton (formerly known Amenhotep IV) to be specific (father of Tutankathon who later changed his name to Tutankhamon)

Before that time the idea of just one true god was totally ridiculous. The idea was so ludicrous that they killed him for it and chucked him in a nameless grave. It took centuries before someone tried it again.
you know there is air because you cant live with out it. thats why you know there is air.

Where does God command anyone to specifically kill someone? what book what chapter what verse? if your so sure show me! prove me wrong. (the only killing in the first few books of the old testament is of murder in the bible and the man was Cain and he was outcast for it.)

The christianity is a minority comment is a falacy.

Actually if you read the bible you would understand what happens in the christian afterlife. Personally I am not worried about your soul because when we die God will give you another chance and you then can have the choice to choose to believe or deny him once again.

Your not a god and we all know that. And my point was the fact that just because I say I do things in your name doesnt mean you are the real motivation behind it or the real cause of my actions.

MONOTHEISM was NOT created by the Egyptians. Judaism is the first and oldest Monotheistic religion. much older than the egyptian version.

Actually it wasnt considered a crazy ideal at all. figuring most religions copied it.

If you want to take a scientific or historical look at religion look at the judaic religion and its stories. This is the oldest monotheistic religion which its stories are historically accounted for in many religions.

God Bless
Mike
bullitt5897 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2007, 03:01 PM   #36
JSTDR1V
Saving Lives Since 2000
 
JSTDR1V's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 335xi & 2013 X3 28i
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Northeast

Posts: 2,197
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2014 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
2013 X3 28i  [0.00]
Religion was our way to explain unknown phenomenon back in the day when science couldn't. Back then people were stupid and only lived 20-40 years. They needed "something" to explain "why" so schizophrenics just told stories that people believed.

On a more serious note, it was probably more of scholars making a gross interpretation of something.


Unfortunately many still can't take this "faith" for what it's worth and become extremists within their particular religion.


It is important to believe in something, but when science has explained almost everything else you just have to take religion as something to keep faith, hope, and tradition in your family and your lives.

Religion is very difficult to talk about because people can't even speak civilly about simple things like even tying your shoe, or something silly about his or her car.

I think this discussion here just opens up a lot of stubborn people to say what they believe as the absolute right and you're just going to create more animosity between our world's constituents.
JSTDR1V is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2007, 03:05 PM   #37
Max_!
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: E91
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Europe

Posts: 350
iTrader: (0)

> you know there is air because you cant live with out it. thats why you know there is air.

You can live without air. Deep divers breathe a helium/oxygen mixture that definitly doesn't qualify as air and they live fine.

> The christianity is a minority comment is a falacy.

True, but that doesn't change the fact that more people are muslims. You may very well be worshipping the wrong god. Won't that be a shock when you die!

Worshipping the wrong god means an eternity in hell, don't it?

> Judaism is the first and oldest Monotheistic religion. much older than the egyptian version.

You are wrong. (Dates in works of fiction do not count.)

> Where does God command anyone to specifically kill someone?

Well, since we're quoting works of fiction:

Exodus 31 verse 15
For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day must be put to death

That's everyone in WallMart on a Sunday dead right there.

Deuteronomy chapter 17, 2 Chron 15:12-13, Deuteronomy 13:13-19, Lev 24:16, Leviticus 20:9, Leviticus 20:10

Corpses flying everywere.

And this is the word of god according to Isaiah 40 verse 8 and 1 Peter 1 verses 24 and 25.

Now ask me about the 300 pages about hookers.
Max_! is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2007, 03:05 PM   #38
JSTDR1V
Saving Lives Since 2000
 
JSTDR1V's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 335xi & 2013 X3 28i
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Northeast

Posts: 2,197
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2014 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
2013 X3 28i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt5897 View Post
Is God real? Are we the result of Random Science?

For me the answer is clear. Only because I almost died before I truely learned. My life has been full of accidents and craziness. at the age of 8 I almost bleed out after being hit in the face with a 9 Iron golf club. at age 11 I almost lost my leg to falling 20ft from a creek swing and landed in jagged rocks cutting a 16in gash to the bone and had to walk a mile home again almost bleed out. at age 12 I almost drowned at a summer camp and this is where my life forever changed. Each of those three events I should have died so the doctors say. The third one I still have a hard time grasping. I was a pretty strong swimmer but after exhausting my self earlier and not taking the time to rest I tried to swim across the lake at the camp with a few other friends. Needless to say I couldnt make it and fell just short by 20 or 30 ft. The lake was 30+ ft deep where I went under and it was a man made lake with just silt,rocks and sand on the bottom. I went under and shouldnt of come up again but something pushed me up out of the water I was cramped and couldnt swim but I was pushed close enough to where a consoler could jump in and help me out of the water. there was no one else in the water at the time I was drowning and the only time someone was in the water was after I came up and my friends pointed me out to the consoler. It wasnt till after this event that I truely realized how precious life really is.

For several days I took for myself and thought alone. I came to the realization that something had a love for me and didnt want me to die. atleast not yet anyhow. I started to study anything and everything I could get my hands on about christianity. I became a Christian and devoted Most of my teenage years studying theology and religion in general. I went to private school halfway through middle school and that helped me find the means to study religion and faith. Christianity is based off of 3 things: Love, relationship, Forgiveness.

Love: God showed us Love again and again. The Bible recommends that we show the love that was given to us, to all of our fellow men/women.

Relationship: Christianity at its base is simply a relationship with God. He strives to have one with us and actively in our everyday puts chances for us to see him and get closer to him.

Forgiveness: God Forgave us at the Garden of Eden, the Flood, with Christ...etc. We are encouraged to show that forgiveness to all of our fellowman no matter what their trespass they have committed.

I strive in each one of these areas but its not an easy task given that we are a people of natural rebellion. And thus, also a people of sin not only to God but each other. I find my self cursing people and holding hatred in my heart. I strive to forgive and forget, to love everyone, and to seek a closer relationship with God. I am very much blessed in many ways since I was born and even more know that I have strived for this faith and relationship.

I come across many problems for me. One being my GF does not share the same beliefs that I do. she is buddhist and I am christian she feels if she shares my beliefs she will lose her culture. I dont push her to become christian but I do allow her the chance to see all sides of faiths, religions, and beliefs. I feel its her choice not mine for her and I wish for her to see the light for herself. I am an enabler not the decision maker. I love my GF and plan on marrying her.

Without religion I believe the world wouldnt change much.

Without Faith I believe all good would vanish. Without God there would be no light to the darkness of this world. I find that with out the love of true christianity the "AGAPE LOVE" (Agape is Hebrew for God's Love) the world not have hope.

If you guys want to talk theology I would love to join in and share my knowledge.

Peace to all of you and God bless!!!
Mike


Take 1 day at my job and I will beg to argue that myself, amongst the many physicians, nurses, and nurses aides facilitate the miracles you speak about - not an all powerful being.

Without our intervention people die. With our intervention people have chances at living.

Your experience gives you faith, and that's the important part - but it in no way proves that there is a higher being with a plan.
JSTDR1V is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2007, 03:12 PM   #39
ATG
Major
 
ATG's Avatar
 
Drives: f30 328 xdrive, e90 335i gone
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Eastside

Posts: 1,058
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dleo View Post
i like dane cook's thoughts on Atheism

Coincidentally, no Christians around Dane Cook were sneezing or they would have gotten the same treatment. The airport part was funny too.
ATG is offline   Cuba
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2007, 10:35 PM   #40
bullitt5897
Second Lieutenant
 
bullitt5897's Avatar
 
Drives: is300
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: atl

Posts: 249
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_! View Post
> you know there is air because you cant live with out it. thats why you know there is air.

You can live without air. Deep divers breathe a helium/oxygen mixture that definitly doesn't qualify as air and they live fine.

> The christianity is a minority comment is a falacy.

True, but that doesn't change the fact that more people are muslims. You may very well be worshipping the wrong god. Won't that be a shock when you die!

Worshipping the wrong god means an eternity in hell, don't it?

> Judaism is the first and oldest Monotheistic religion. much older than the egyptian version.

You are wrong. (Dates in works of fiction do not count.)

> Where does God command anyone to specifically kill someone?

Well, since we're quoting works of fiction:

Exodus 31 verse 15
For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day must be put to death

That's everyone in WallMart on a Sunday dead right there.

Deuteronomy chapter 17, 2 Chron 15:12-13, Deuteronomy 13:13-19, Lev 24:16, Leviticus 20:9, Leviticus 20:10

Corpses flying everywere.

And this is the word of god according to Isaiah 40 verse 8 and 1 Peter 1 verses 24 and 25.

Now ask me about the 300 pages about hookers.
Oxygen is the key component to air and thus was my point this comes down to symantics lol.

If I am worshiping the wrong god then well we are in the same boat my brother.

I love that you quote the old testament because this seperates christianity from judaism. Christianity believes that through Christ a new covenant was made. The Jewish covenant is through the ten commandments. You must put your self in the shoes of the time period. The Hebrews took their religion very serious and the keeping of faith was very important hense the Ex. 31:15
Isaiah 40:8 "The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stands forever." why did you quote this?
and this?
1 peter 1:22-25 " Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for your brothers, love one another deeply, from the heart. For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God. For, "All men are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field; the grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of the Lord stands forever." And this is the word that was preached to you."

with the last one you proved what I am saying read the underlined part.

further more you should read these verses in context and understand there reasonings behind them. And yes in the bible it does talk about killing people mainly in historical context. but everything you mention was in the old covenant for Judaism. This not the covenant christianity is supposed to follow.


as for PAMidge's comment. I have been to the emergency room more times than I would like to account for. they knew me by name for a good while at the emergency room. I know what goes on there. Granted with out the doctors and nurses in our hospitals most ppl would surely die.

I have a challenge for you guys! Prove to me with Substantial Evidence that God does not Exist! If you can do that you have won this argument.

Mike
bullitt5897 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2007, 10:41 PM   #41
enfield
Civilian
 
enfield's Avatar
 
Drives: Range Rover Sport Supercharged
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ontario

Posts: 940
iTrader: (0)

"Imagine" by John Lennon. I love that song. Coming back to reality.... We would still find a reason to kill each other.... Sad, but true
enfield is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2007, 11:13 PM   #42
E90Lurker
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: E90 330i
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Greater Van

Posts: 36
iTrader: (0)

"I have a challenge for you guys! Prove to me with Substantial Evidence that God does not Exist! If you can do that you have won this argument.

Mike"

The burden of proof falls to the one making extraordinary claims.

You seem to believe in an all powerful yet invisible entity that is as likely to cure a sick child as to hurl that child's school bus over a cliff for its one "divine" purposes. It won't appear to us but requires "faith" i.e. we must believe without proof - how convenient. If I was to set up a religion that's what I would do! $$

One could make logical arguments against the existence of a god but then faith isn't logic. Faith is motivated delusion - the motivation is fear.

I am a Pastafanarian. I believe that the universe was created by an all powerful yet invisible flying spaghetti monster. There is a bible - "The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster". Prove he doesn't exist. Good luck.
E90Lurker is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-14-2007, 03:06 PM   #43
Max_!
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: E91
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Europe

Posts: 350
iTrader: (0)

> I love that you quote the old testament because this seperates christianity from judaism.

Oh, I wouldn't know. I just googled 'god +kill' and copy pasted what came up.

Also came accross this funny story about a woman that gets pregnant by another man and then tells her husband a story about some ghost impregnating her... I'm sorry, I don't know how stupid carpenters where in those days but in this day and age, it would not go down like that!

Point is: you know what god wants only through the bible and the teachings of priests and such and all that is fallable and up for interpretation - context as you like to call it. (unless he speaks to you directly, in which case you probably need professional help)

The bible has been quoted litteraly to say that God endorsed slavery. You call it context, I call it the source of all evil.

God did not write the bible, and it's been revised and mis-translated so often in the past that it's basically useless for all intents and purposes except delivering the weak into bondage.

> "I have a challenge for you guys! Prove to me with Substantial Evidence that God does not Exist! If you can do that you have won this argument.

Nope, that's not how it works. E90Lurker has it right.

But you already know there's no proof of a god as prescribed by christian doctrine. That's why it's called faith, not fact.

What I don't get is why you don't seem to think the entire concept is utterly ludicrous.

You're basically telling me there's this thing out there that created a whole universe filled with tiny specs of rock and one tiny little planet with sentient beings just so he could be worshipped?

I will tell you this, though: Any being, devine or otherwise, that demands worship can f** right off, even if that exposes me to an eternity in hell.
Max_! is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-14-2007, 03:43 PM   #44
La Verdad
Private First Class
 
La Verdad's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 328i
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ft. Lauderdale

Posts: 144
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_! View Post
>

I will tell you this, though: Any being, devine or otherwise, that demands worship can f** right off, even if that exposes me to an eternity in hell.
La Verdad is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:38 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST