E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Pandora 3.1.15, iOS5 and 6FL iDrive

05-15-2012, 11:11 PM   #23
jphughan
Brigadier General

Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_milo View Post
jphughan -

I haven't tried that for a long time (probably before my update) so last night I tried it out. I now remember why I stopped using the white cable.... it's a PITA. Every time I connect it automatically starts up itunes (or the ipod player....whatever it's called). Then when I start up Pandora it switches to Pandora but the track listings from the itunes stay on the display. Eventually the album art and track will show up for Pandora some of the time but it's hit or miss. If I stop the car or unplug the phone we go through the dance all over again. Also, skipping tracks was hit or miss too. At one point I had to double tap the steering wheel button to get it to skip a track but later the double tap was a double skip.

I then had to restart the Bluetooth Audio and Pandora worked like a charm. The first time itunes did start again but once I closed it and started Pandora the display on the screen switched to Pandora. The display is very different with no album art but all the information is there. The skip button also works great with only one push to skip.

Hope this helps.
Thanks! This definitely helps, even though it's unfortunate that the news is bad. So it sounds like with my next car I'll be deciding between spending $250 to be able to listen to Pandora while plugged in (for audio quality and/or charging purposes) with reliable track skipping, or pocket the savings and live with the options of Bluetooth and a hit-or-miss USB setup for Pandora. I know $250 is a minor cost in the scheme of the car, but it's the principle of spending lots of cash for relatively little benefit. In fact given that I'd never pay that price aftermarket for this and I could only rationalize this cost BECAUSE of the comparatively much larger cost of the car probably says something in and of itself....
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Yoko AD08 R | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder
jphughan is offline   United_States
      05-20-2012, 01:41 PM   #24
Blackhawk55
Private

Drives: 2012 335is Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Piping audio through the AUX In cable as you do (yes, that's the Y-cable that's mentioned elsewhere) leaves you with analog-quality sound, so I'm not much of a fan of that solution -- and in that situation I don't think you can control Pandora at all except directly on the phone, which is a hassle given that the jack is inside the center console.

In the end BMW Apps is a subpar solution for which there isn't a clear improvement solution. Ideally Apple would relax some of their restrictions, but that'll never happen since Apple doesn't bend to other corporations' needs/wants. And the alternative "one stop shop" app from BMW would be hamstrung with the issues I mentioned above -- plus BMW isn't exactly known for timely software updates.
Re: Y-cable. No pun intended but why? Why the two connections and what do they do? First, I had bought a iPod extension cable earlier. Once upon a time I had an iPhone 4S and bought the snap-in adapter for it. I sense solf off the iPhone and bought and mounted an iPad. I was thinking I could connect the iPad to the snap-in using that cable but that has never worked. I got the y-cable and connected it to that extender and plugin both aux and USB and for the most part it seems to work well. I notice it stops the feed if I unplug either the aux or USB. Why are both needed to feed the iPad's output?

I'm still going nuts trying to find a way to pipe in the output from my iPad and/or my Android phone and be able to easily pick and switch between them depending on my urge at the moment. I thought bluetooth would be the way to go but it almost never works and when it does, it almost seems like an accident or sheer luck.

Leaving on vacation in a week or two and would love to get these connections to work.
      05-21-2012, 02:23 PM   #25
mr_milo
Captain

Drives: 2011 E93 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk55 View Post
I thought bluetooth would be the way to go but it almost never works and when it does, it almost seems like an accident or sheer luck.

Leaving on vacation in a week or two and would love to get these connections to work.
Did you download and install the bluetooth update from the BMW site? Mine started working MUCH better after than. Before the skip didn't even work but after it's been a dream.

The link is somewhere here on the forums. That's how I learned about it.
mr_milo is offline   United_States
      05-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #26
Weaselboy
Major

Drives: 2012 335i F30 Sedan

Quote:
Did you download and install the bluetooth update from the BMW site? Mine started working MUCH better after than. Before the skip didn't even work but after it's been a dream.

Is this the one you mean?
Weaselboy is offline   United_States
      05-22-2012, 06:44 AM   #27
Blackhawk55
Private

Drives: 2012 335is Convertible

Quote:

Yes, I installed UPD01004.bin when it came out. It DID sound promising saying it improved bluetooth connections with a number of devices but it didn't seem to make a difference in my case. I'm wondering if it might help to re-pair the devices now.

Last edited by Blackhawk55; 05-23-2012 at 02:28 PM.