E90Post
 


Extreme Power House
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > 2G BMW Assist getting shut off in the US end of 2016?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-29-2016, 09:44 AM   #1
shanes
New Member
0
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: 2011 328xi ZSP, H/K, iDrive
Join Date: May 2014
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

2G BMW Assist getting shut off in the US end of 2016?

Has anyone heard if BMW is planning on helping with the cost of upgrading the 2G Combox's that's about to get switched off in our cars at the end of 2016? Mines a 2011, and I've heard that the 2G gpsr modem is used in cars as new as 2014.

Nissan, apparently is stepping up to the plate wit their LEAF customers

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...ing-2g-network
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 01:13 AM   #2
Dracon
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
264
Rep
2,204
Posts


Drives: 2013 F10 M5
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Nashville, TN

iTrader: (33)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanes View Post
Has anyone heard if BMW is planning on helping with the cost of upgrading the 2G Combox's that's about to get switched off in our cars at the end of 2016? Mines a 2011, and I've heard that the 2G gpsr modem is used in cars as new as 2014.

Nissan, apparently is stepping up to the plate wit their LEAF customers

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...ing-2g-network
Been discussed.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1236273

BMW hasn't released their plans for this as of yet. However, as of January 1st, they have stopped people from renewing (paying for service) their BMW Assist plans so they cannot be renewed on older vehicles.

Based on what I've seen so far, BMW will have a plan for all customers who are under BMW-paid agreements (vehicles with Assist under their new vehicle and CPO contracts). Customer-paid agreements, which are customers who are now paying year-to-year after the initial "free" period, will have service until the end of 2016 at which their yearly contract should expire and that'll be it for them.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 02:44 PM   #3
shanes
New Member
0
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: 2011 328xi ZSP, H/K, iDrive
Join Date: May 2014
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

I just sat in a coworker's 2015 Z4 and low and behold.. it still has the CIC iDrive with non touch controller.. I thought CIC's couldn't adapt to anything but a 2G combox? interesting since BMW is claiming that anything prior to 2014 would be cut off..?

Also, I just checked Real OEM for curiosity sake.. it turns out that up to 3/16 build 2016 Z4's STILL use the 2G combox.. unless its misprint? very very interesting?

Not overly surprised, since the newest gen E89 Z4 is pretty much a late bloomer and shares commonalities with E9x and other models of that era, minus the newer 4 banger with turbo and 8 speed ZF transmission.

Last edited by shanes; 05-27-2016 at 02:59 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 04:11 PM   #4
Dracon
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
264
Rep
2,204
Posts


Drives: 2013 F10 M5
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Nashville, TN

iTrader: (33)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanes View Post
I just sat in a coworker's 2015 Z4 and low and behold.. it still has the CIC iDrive with non touch controller.. I thought CIC's couldn't adapt to anything but a 2G combox? interesting since BMW is claiming that anything prior to 2014 would be cut off..?

Also, I just checked Real OEM for curiosity sake.. it turns out that up to 3/16 build 2016 Z4's STILL use the 2G combox.. unless its misprint? very very interesting?

Not overly surprised, since the newest gen E89 Z4 is pretty much a late bloomer and shares commonalities with E9x and other models of that era, minus the newer 4 banger with turbo and 8 speed ZF transmission.
It's a 2G Combox Telematics in the 2016 Z4's as well. Most likely, BMW will just call these vehicles back in when their "technical update" is available and swap the parts out.

The Z4 is really a bastard child of the BMW lineup, BMW usually never includes it in service announcements.
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2016, 11:43 PM   #5
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
VTECaddict's Avatar
United_States
204
Rep
5,669
Posts

Drives: 06 330i 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracon View Post
The Z4 is really a bastard child of the BMW lineup, BMW usually never includes it in service announcements.
Poor thing is now 2 gens behind in tech, even though it's a "current" model.
__________________
AW/Terra | ZSP | ZPP | ZCW | iDrive | CA
Mods: BC BR coilovers | Blacklines | M-tech rear | dual exhaust | M3 steering wheel | BMW SSK | ZHP shift knob | High-kick CF spoiler | NBT Retrofit
M3 front control arms | M3 rear guide rods | Manzo rear toe and camber links | Monroe rear shock mounts | Varrstoen ES1 19x9.5+20 Front, 19x11+25 rear
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 03:27 PM   #6
shanes
New Member
0
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: 2011 328xi ZSP, H/K, iDrive
Join Date: May 2014
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

I'm one of those lucky ones who has a late build CPO E90, which I'm supposed to have the included assist plan till 3/18... I wonder if they will slip me in on this technical solution? I recently asked the dealer about this while in for service, and they have no clue as to what's going on with this.

Also, by the way, as of yesterday my call in to unlock vehicle still works.. My TCU hasn't been cut off yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracon View Post
It's a 2G Combox Telematics in the 2016 Z4's as well. Most likely, BMW will just call these vehicles back in when their "technical update" is available and swap the parts out.

The Z4 is really a bastard child of the BMW lineup, BMW usually never includes it in service announcements.

Last edited by shanes; 06-21-2016 at 03:39 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 03:10 PM   #7
NashvegasR
First Lieutenant
United_States
29
Rep
347
Posts

Drives: 2013 M3 E92
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Nashville TN + Atlanta GA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanes View Post
I'm one of those lucky ones who has a late build CPO E90, which I'm supposed to have the included assist plan till 3/18... I wonder if they will slip me in on this technical solution? I recently asked the dealer about this while in for service, and they have no clue as to what's going on with this.

Also, by the way, as of yesterday my call in to unlock vehicle still works.. My TCU hasn't been cut off yet!
If you can keep us updated, would appreciate it. Same thing on my 2013 E92 M3.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 12:21 AM   #8
bsd107
Captain
United_States
26
Rep
627
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i E90
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

I just called BMW ConnectedDrive to ask why my 2009 E90 LCI (second week of production) was no longer accepting addresses from Google send-to-car. I was told that when my subscription was up for renewal in March 2016 it was automatically discontinued. I was told that I should have received something in the mail, but I have not. They told me that basically I would not get service in the car again.

I drive my cars for 9-10 years, and want to be able to continue ConnectedDrive service on my car. I can understand if the technology gets old, but there is no reason it shouldn't work for now. And they should continue service until an upgrade is ready and available for my car.

Given that iPhones get a SnapIn adapter 1-2 years after launch of a phone, I am not holding my breath.

I am none too happy about this situation... MyInfo and the traffic info use almost daily in my car. Given how well designed the LCI nav system was, it's not as obsolete as you might think even today....
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2016, 07:57 AM   #9
shanes
New Member
0
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: 2011 328xi ZSP, H/K, iDrive
Join Date: May 2014
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Any new news on a "technical solution" that was supposed to be available in June - July yet?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 06:44 PM   #10
Dracon
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
264
Rep
2,204
Posts


Drives: 2013 F10 M5
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Nashville, TN

iTrader: (33)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Looks like BMW has finally posted what they are going to do for BMW Assist on older vehicles for customers still under contract/agreement.

Quote:
BMW has developed several solutions in order to provide continued BMW Assist service or provide alternative compensation to customers with active BMW Assist contracts expiring after December 31, 2016 on vehicles equipped with a 2G GSM telematics device (e.g., COMBOX).

Background

For GSM vehicles equipped with a 2nd generation (2G) GSM (Global System for Mobile Communications) telematics device from the factory, the 2G GSM service will no longer be supported after December 31, 2016. Most of these vehicles were offered with BMW Assist Safety Plan and Convenience Plan, however, some 2014 Model Year and newer vehicles (e.g., E84 X1, E89 Z4, and E71 X6) were also offered with the new ConnectedDrive offering structure. Please refer to the table at the end of this message for a summary of which vehicles are equipped with 2G GSM telematics.

Compensation or retrofit offerings

Compensation:
For those customers that would rather not have BMW Assist services in their vehicle, BMW will be offering the following compensation options
  • $300 BMW Lifestyle and Accessories voucher for in*Center purchases + Deactivation of existing technology
  • $200 Visa Pre*Paid Debit Card + Deactivation of existing technology

Hardware Retrofit:
For customers who have an active contract that expires after December 31, 2016 and who would like to maintain service after December 31, 2016, a hardware retrofit of a new telematics module will be available

Please note: BMW will not be offering any retrofit or compensation for customers whose contract has already expired or whose contract will expire on or before December 31, 2016.

As soon as details of the final offerings are available, updated communications will be released, including direct customer communications. This message will also be updated with important information for dealers.

Code:
2G GSM application by vehicle model.

Vehicle Model                       2G GSM Equipped
1 Series                            March 2008 - EOP*
2 Series                            N/A
3 Series                            March 2008 through MY2013
4 Series                            N/A
5 Series                            March 2008 through MY2012
6 Series                            March 2008 through MY2013
7 Series                            F01 Only: SOP through MY2012
X1                                  E84 Only: SOP* through MY2015 
                                    F84: N/A
X3                                  F25 (SOP*) through MY2013
X4                                  N/A
X5                                  April 2008 through MY2013
X6                                  April 2008 through MY2014
Z4                                  E89: MY2010 through EOP*

*EOP = End of Production; SOP = Start of Production
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:21 PM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST