E90Post
 


GTB Performance
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > porsche cayman R vs benz c63 amg coupe



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-08-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
timber511
Private
 
Drives: BMW Z435IS
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Markham

Posts: 91
iTrader: (0)

porsche cayman R vs benz c63 amg coupe

Decide to trade in my veh and get cayman r or c63 coupe.
Need suggestion from you guys !!!!!!!!!!!
timber511 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-08-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
 
Constant.S's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW Z4 E89(N54) Porsche 997 4S
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Greece/Canada

Posts: 607
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to Constant.S Send a message via Skype™ to Constant.S
You will get more out of the c63, the cayman R is nice for the track but not an optimal dd in my opinion.
__________________
An ounce of performance is worth pounds of promises.
Constant.S is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-08-2011, 05:18 PM   #3
az34
Major
 
az34's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 z4sdrive35i 2008 x5 3.0i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: montréal

Posts: 1,015
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timber511 View Post
Decide to trade in my veh and get cayman r or c63 coupe.
Need suggestion from you guys !!!!!!!!!!!
sad to hear that your gonna leave the BMW family. c63 hands down!
az34 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-08-2011, 06:28 PM   #4
timber511
Private
 
Drives: BMW Z435IS
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Markham

Posts: 91
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by az34 View Post
sad to hear that your gonna leave the BMW family. c63 hands down!
not decided yet ! May be just keep the Z for couple years
timber511 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-08-2011, 07:01 PM   #5
35iDriver
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 35i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: USA

Posts: 167
iTrader: (0)

Your e89 is not listed under your profile. We see just the 3 series.
35iDriver is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-08-2011, 07:25 PM   #6
Malfunction
Private
 
Drives: BMW Z4is
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Montreal

Posts: 79
iTrader: (0)

I'm currently looking for my next ride. It is between the Boxster S and the Z4 and the M3. The M3 is the a distant third now, as I'm really looking for a vert. IMO the steering and "feel" is better on the Porsche, but the power curve, looks, hard top are driving the Z4 to top at the moment.

As mentioned above the Porsche is great when your winding it, but I think the Z is a better DD.

Have you test drove the cars yet?
Malfunction is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-08-2011, 09:35 PM   #7
soetekouw
New Member
 
Drives: 2007 Porsche Boxster S
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: TN

Posts: 13
iTrader: (0)

I have a Boxster S as my daily driver. Great car and the mid engine gives you a solid drive. The Boxster is rated 'best buy' in Consumer Report. My next car will either be the Z4 (because of its retractable hardtop) or maybe a Corvette (for more power). Either way, it'll be a convertible.
soetekouw is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-08-2011, 09:54 PM   #8
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Memphis1's Avatar
 
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: CT

Posts: 1,843
iTrader: (0)

Timber511, i test drove both and i'm also getting the C63 over the porsche... don't get me wrong the porsche is really awesome, but the benz thrills you... kinda like that feeling you would get when being chased by a vicious caucasian mountain dog and the porsche is kinda like taking a walk with your trained german shepherd.
__________________
Memphis1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-09-2011, 02:29 PM   #9
35iDriver
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 35i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: USA

Posts: 167
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by soetekouw View Post
I have a Boxster S as my daily driver. Great car and the mid engine gives you a solid drive. The Boxster is rated 'best buy' in Consumer Report. My next car will either be the Z4 (because of its retractable hardtop) or maybe a Corvette (for more power). Either way, it'll be a convertible.
Nothing against the Porsche, but whatever Consumer Reports says can be taken like a grain of salt. Even if they said the Z4 was their choice I'd say the same thing. One organization cannot be an expert at everything, which is what they try to present themselves as. They wind up being mediocre at reviewing everything and masters/experts at nothing.
35iDriver is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-09-2011, 04:42 PM   #10
az34
Major
 
az34's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 z4sdrive35i 2008 x5 3.0i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: montréal

Posts: 1,015
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35iDriver View Post
Nothing against the Porsche, but whatever Consumer Reports says can be taken like a grain of salt. Even if they said the Z4 was their choice I'd say the same thing. One organization cannot be an expert at everything, which is what they try to present themselves as. They wind up being mediocre at reviewing everything and masters/experts at nothing.
+ 1
az34 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-09-2011, 07:12 PM   #11
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General
 
Mr. ///M3 RD's Avatar
 
Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA, Ontario - Canada

Posts: 7,862
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1 View Post
Timber511, i test drove both and i'm also getting the C63 over the porsche... don't get me wrong the porsche is really awesome, but the benz thrills you... kinda like that feeling you would get when being chased by a vicious caucasian mountain dog and the porsche is kinda like taking a walk with your trained german shepherd.
you just made my day with that comparison Memphis

So tell me are you planning on getting the C6.3 AMG? BTW time to change that lady again <=== over yonder I like to see something sexier ...

PS I did have a few German Shepherds and did drive both the Porsche and the Benz AMG also (only the late 80 models then they don't change that much ... not like say from the Z1 to the now wonderful Z4).
__________________
Cheers, Rolf-Dieter

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Mr. ///M3 RD is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-09-2011, 08:28 PM   #12
az34
Major
 
az34's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 z4sdrive35i 2008 x5 3.0i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: montréal

Posts: 1,015
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by soetekouw View Post
I have a Boxster S as my daily driver. Great car and the mid engine gives you a solid drive. The Boxster is rated 'best buy' in Consumer Report. My next car will either be the Z4 (because of its retractable hardtop) or maybe a Corvette (for more power). Either way, it'll be a convertible.
the problem whit the boxter is its aging design (1997) it really needs a refresh.
az34 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-09-2011, 09:02 PM   #13
teagueAMX
Colonel
 
teagueAMX's Avatar
 
Drives: Some are road worthy
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: So Cal, USA

Posts: 2,086
iTrader: (0)

The c63 black is an animal. IMO, in general Merc's are stodgy, smelly old man's cars. Sometimes I swear their designers are using carpenter's pencils. But the c63 and the sls are out of this world!
__________________
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

teagueAMX is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-09-2011, 11:59 PM   #14
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Memphis1's Avatar
 
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: CT

Posts: 1,843
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
you just made my day with that comparison Memphis

So tell me are you planning on getting the C6.3 AMG? BTW time to change that lady again <=== over yonder I like to see something sexier ...

PS I did have a few German Shepherds and did drive both the Porsche and the Benz AMG also (only the late 80 models then they don't change that much ... not like say from the Z1 to the now wonderful Z4).
the C63 coupe... this is the tester that got me hooked.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Memphis1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-10-2011, 12:19 AM   #15
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General
 
Mr. ///M3 RD's Avatar
 
Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA, Ontario - Canada

Posts: 7,862
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1 View Post
the C63 coupe... this is the tester that got me hooked.
I know how you feel ... this is my Desktop this Month

Memphis ... when you win the big lottery you can drive something like this ===>CLICK to View and play the Slide Show I know I will if it happens to me or if the wife divorces me hahaha
__________________
Cheers, Rolf-Dieter

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 06-12-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Mr. ///M3 RD is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-10-2011, 11:36 AM   #16
lux good
Banned
 
Drives: Z4 sDrive 23i & Q5 2.0 TSFI
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: England

Posts: 291
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1 View Post
the C63 coupe... this is the tester that got me hooked.
Really!!...that's one hell of an ugly motor
lux good is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-10-2011, 11:42 AM   #17
bunnn
Colonel
 
bunnn's Avatar
 
Drives: like a grandma
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto

Posts: 2,253
iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by az34 View Post
the problem whit the boxter is its aging design (1997) it really needs a refresh.
New boxster has already been leaked. It will be out at the end of next year, if not earlier.
__________________
Cheers
Ben
bunnn is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-10-2011, 01:45 PM   #18
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Memphis1's Avatar
 
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: CT

Posts: 1,843
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnn View Post
New boxster has already been leaked. It will be out at the end of next year, if not earlier.
since when do you know porsche to make drastic changes to its models?? it will be identical, just like the 911 turbo looks exactly as it did in the 60's
Attached Images
 
__________________
Memphis1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-10-2011, 02:56 PM   #19
saeyedoc
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2012 Cayman S, 2012 Panamera
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Antonio, TX

Posts: 538
iTrader: (0)

C63=sledgehammer
Cayman R=scalpel
Take your pick, brutal acceleration, straight line speed, tire smoking torque or precision, superb handling and steering.
saeyedoc is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-10-2011, 03:45 PM   #20
bunnn
Colonel
 
bunnn's Avatar
 
Drives: like a grandma
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto

Posts: 2,253
iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1 View Post
since when do you know porsche to make drastic changes to its models?? it will be identical, just like the 911 turbo looks exactly as it did in the 60's
What does this have to do with the boxster changing design? Yes, for Porsche they are best at incremental changes. Why fix something that isn't broken? Have they done a damn good job at modernizing a design from the '60s? Many would agree. Has the new 991 changed drastically from the 997? Some would say yes, while others say no. Again, I was merely pointing out that the new boxster is due for next year given what the other poster said.
__________________
Cheers
Ben
bunnn is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-10-2011, 04:00 PM   #21
az34
Major
 
az34's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 z4sdrive35i 2008 x5 3.0i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: montréal

Posts: 1,015
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1 View Post
since when do you know porsche to make drastic changes to its models?? it will be identical, just like the 911 turbo looks exactly as it did in the 60's
Memphis i totally agree whit you,the boxter desing has'nt changed since the launch of the dating Z3
az34 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-10-2011, 04:53 PM   #22
Red Bread
Brigadier General
 
Drives: My wife's car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,159
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by az34 View Post
Memphis i totally agree whit you,the boxter desing has'nt changed since the launch of the dating Z3
Yet BMW has built two poorly selling and polarizing Z4's since, and Porsche has done one minor redesign on the Boxster. One still sells well, and it's not the one with an identity crisis.
Red Bread is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:34 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST