Hey everyone! My dad and I recently cleaned my car's brake hubs and calipers and painted them due to a buildup of rust that made my car look old and uncared for. I hope this guide helps anyone who wants to greatly improve their car's appearance!
About 5 hours.
Things You'll Need
- Wearever Brake Parts Cleaner - $3.99
- Duplicolor Caliper Paint - $7.69
- 3M Sandpaper - $5.19
A Wire Brush (I bought it from Walmart)
- A Car Jack
- A Cross Wrench
- An old tooth brush
1. Raise the jack until the wheel is fully off the ground about an inch or two.
Remove the nuts using the cross wrench. (You can use a single-handed wrench but it'll be harder) The wheel may be stuck due to pressure so you may have to shove the wheel at the top and the bottom until you are able to remove it.
2. Apply the brake parts cleaner over the caliper and brake hub. Use the wire brush to remove the rust buildup. After removing most of the rust switch over to the sandpaper to get a clean, smooth finish. With an old tooth brush brush out the rust shavings out of the area that the hub cap protects.
3. Using newspaper and tape mask off the brake disk. You can slip some newspaper under the caliper as well. Apply a coat of the Duplicolor Caliper Paint and wait an hour for it to dry.
4. Carefully remove the newspaper and tape and mount the wheel back on!
5. Enjoy your new clean look!