E90Post
 


GT Haus
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Software is coming from BMW



Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-13-2007, 09:04 PM   #89
DrDomer
Major
DrDomer's Avatar
United_States
21
Rep
1,349
Posts

 
Drives: 2004 330ci ZHP, 1999 Miata
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Iowa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 533ogetnom View Post
that will run you atleast 5k$ might aswell have gotten an m3
$45K plus $5K doesn't equal a new 2008 M3 (est. $65K). It doesn't even equal a new 2006 M3, but it would beat the crap out of it. There are definite reasons to mod a 335i if you don't want to plunk down 65 large.
__________________
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2007, 09:18 PM   #90
JEllis
Brigadier General
JEllis's Avatar
84
Rep
4,789
Posts

 
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SD CA/Yuma

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
How many-if any-M owners actually add aftermarket stuff to their cars? It seem to me that once you buy an M; you just leave it as is. Touching a hair could throw the tuned up machine out of whack!
I think that a better "personalization" option would be to buy a "close to M" car then mix and match at will. HOWEVER, DO NOT PUT AN ///M BADGE ON IT!!!!!!!Whatever gets into you!

I would be willing to pay for 20 horses...IMO, the V8 M3 may not be an every day car, particularly when you constantly are on grid locked roads! Our 335s may be "smoother" for this type of driving...the ///M badges are tempting though, I must admit!
1. You didnt read my post to start out with. I was talking about modding 335's to meet M performance. Not modding M's.

2. M3forum.com probably has members in the thousands that have modded their M3's. I modded mine!

Jason
__________________
http://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic14547_7.gif
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2007, 10:00 PM   #91
stressdoc
Moderator
stressdoc's Avatar
Dominica
139
Rep
10,169
Posts

 
Drives: F80 YMB
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: MO

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDomer View Post
$45K plus $5K doesn't equal a new 2008 M3 (est. $65K). It doesn't even equal a new 2006 M3, but it would beat the crap out of it. There are definite reasons to mod a 335i if you don't want to plunk down 65 large.
For someone like me the contrast is even greater. If you ED, you are well under 40k for a 335. If we can get these options done at the factory -- like a M-sport pack -- then the cost will be reasonable. I would estimate an E90 335 w/ M-sport package, LSD, and power flash upgrade to still be under 40k on ED at 1k over invoice. That is as close to a 4-door Porsche as I expect to get, given that the M will not be available on ED bargains. So it is more like a $20k difference, assuming that you can get a M3 for 60k.

I think that factory OEM performance options will be a huge advantage in the car mag comparo tests. R&T and C&D will be running amped 335s against the G37, S4, IS-F and co.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2007, 10:01 PM   #92
r1200c/335i/318ti
Private First Class
1
Rep
173
Posts

 
Drives: 318ti/r1200c/335i
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: MA-USA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1996 318ti  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to r1200c/335i/318ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis;
1. You didnt read my post to start out with. I was talking about modding 335's to meet M performance. Not modding M's.

2. M3forum.com probably has members in the thousands that have modded their M3's. I modded mine!

Jason
1-I know that you were speaking of modding 335s...
This is just my opinion: an M car is considered "exotic" that has been tuned by BMW's M division...the price you are paying include that division's involvement...it's like getting that collectible and painting it...when you temper with the car...

No matter how much you mod a car, it will NEVER be a ///M!
"...modding 335's to meet M performance..." you say...BUY a ///M.

We actually do not have conflicting opinions here...we just have different philosophies...
__________________

335i-e92 |TiAg |ZSP |ZPP |NAV |CA |PDC
Gray Pop.Wood |HD Radio |Rear Shade |Cold Weather
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2007, 10:12 PM   #93
533ogetnom
Banned
23
Rep
1,760
Posts

 
Drives: 335coupe
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Florida

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzuten View Post
That arguement can be said for anybody that enjoys modding their car.
not for everybody, the guys just throwing a procede in obvisouly get the better deal, but a lot of the time in heavy modding you end up sepdning more than buying a comaprable car stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
The premium for the M over the 335 is probably going to be 15K... there is still a savings going with the aftermarket.

Jason
yes, but you missed a crucial point, which is that even after all that modding the car still wont be as fast as the M3.. where as the m3 STARTS with all the crap you just modded into your 335

you also cannot compare base prices since the M cars dont come with many option and are pretty much fully loaded from the factory

alot of people who bought 335s got a car with a 50k retail (thats how much the retail on mine was atleast) for about another 5k i could have gotten an M if the price pans out the way its looking


Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDomer View Post
$45K plus $5K doesn't equal a new 2008 M3 (est. $65K). It doesn't even equal a new 2006 M3, but it would beat the crap out of it. There are definite reasons to mod a 335i if you don't want to plunk down 65 large.
m3 is looking to be much cheaper than 65k

you also have to keep in mind that with all the mods to the 335 the m3 will still be faster, worthy im sure of, if, any extra net purchase price compared to how much it would cost to turn the 335 into it


that given, yea sure a procede or a flash would be worth the money compared to just getting an M performance:$ wise

but once you start going into "cams, shortshifter, exhaust, dif ECT" from BMW your performance:$ ratio is going to drop like a log
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2007, 10:15 PM   #94
BzzzBom
Major
42
Rep
1,214
Posts

 
Drives: 05 R53 MINI / 09 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

As an everyday car with occasional spirited driving the e92 is a better car IMO. The M3 will not have the combination of a low rev / high torque engine, great street handling manners and the awesome gas mileage of the 335i. Adding a reflash and maybe a few other performance goodies will be icing on the cake.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2007, 10:16 PM   #95
r1200c/335i/318ti
Private First Class
1
Rep
173
Posts

 
Drives: 318ti/r1200c/335i
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: MA-USA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1996 318ti  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to r1200c/335i/318ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by BzzzBom;
As an everyday car with occasional spirited driving the e92 is a better car IMO. The M3 will not have the combination of a low rev / high torque engine, great street handling manners and the awesome gas mileage of the 335i. Adding a reflash and maybe a few other performance goodies will be icing on the cake.
+2...
__________________

335i-e92 |TiAg |ZSP |ZPP |NAV |CA |PDC
Gray Pop.Wood |HD Radio |Rear Shade |Cold Weather
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 01:13 AM   #96
radgator1
Lieutenant Colonel
radgator1's Avatar
25
Rep
1,604
Posts

 
Drives: e90 335i
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
For someone like me the contrast is even greater. If you ED, you are well under 40k for a 335. If we can get these options done at the factory -- like a M-sport pack -- then the cost will be reasonable. I would estimate an E90 335 w/ M-sport package, LSD, and power flash upgrade to still be under 40k on ED at 1k over invoice. That is as close to a 4-door Porsche as I expect to get, given that the M will not be available on ED bargains. So it is more like a $20k difference, assuming that you can get a M3 for 60k.

I think that factory OEM performance options will be a huge advantage in the car mag comparo tests. R&T and C&D will be running amped 335s against the G37, S4, IS-F and co.

I understand what you are saying but your numbers are wrong. I did ED on a 335i Sedan at 1100 over invoice and it was about 42K with premium, nav PDC and shades so the car you are describing would be closer to 45-46K than under 40 but still there is a significant differential compared to an e9x M3.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 01:53 AM   #97
val3ntin3s
Second Lieutenant
val3ntin3s's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
266
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E92 335i SP
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: So cal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radgator1 View Post
I understand what you are saying but your numbers are wrong. I did ED on a 335i Sedan at 1100 over invoice and it was about 42K with premium, nav PDC and shades so the car you are describing would be closer to 45-46K than under 40 but still there is a significant differential compared to an e9x M3.
greetings again rad, i believe we were on the same boat, kassel, anxiously waiting for our redelivery... how's the car been treating you? anyhow i guess it all depends on what options you got to see if one crossed over the 40k barrier... as for my "stripper" car all i added was the zsp and mine was well below 40k (w/o tax and bs fees of course) price being ED + 1k... but you're right in the sense of all those mods stressdoc talked about and still be under the 40k barrier would be tough...

btw rad.... KASSEL PRIDE!
__________________


2012 F10 535i | Alpine White | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Wood Trim | Anthracite Headliner | ZPP | ZSP | Tech | Rear Sunshades | SiriusXM
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 02:22 AM   #98
BMWPower06
A^M=G is nothing w/o the Power of ///M
BMWPower06's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
1,763
Posts

 
Drives: ///M5 & ///M3
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Washington D.C.

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to BMWPower06
Quote:
Originally Posted by 533ogetnom View Post
that will run you atleast 5k$ might aswell have gotten an m3
M3 premium is like 10K, plus id rather build a fast car, not be handed one
__________________
Indianapolis Red BMW ///M5
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 09:24 AM   #99
335hopefull
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
31
Posts

 
Drives: thinking about 335 sdn auto sp
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: southern cal

iTrader: (0)

info info info
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 09:25 AM   #100
RiXst3r
RiXst3r's Avatar
153
Rep
6,509
Posts

 
Drives: M235i
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (14)

Send a message via AIM to RiXst3r
so where is it? its monday!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 09:42 AM   #101
Cyruz
Captain
10
Rep
620
Posts

 
Drives: Montego Blue 335i
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
so this thread deteriorated horribly.... too much comparing modded 335 vs. M3, and not enough performace upgrade info...monday is here where is it?
__________________
Living on the fringe of lunacy

my zenfolio photo gallery
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 09:58 AM   #102
NaViT
Banned
NaViT's Avatar
United_States
38
Rep
3,411
Posts

 
Drives: 04 M3/E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: N.Florida

iTrader: (11)

..........
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 10:08 AM   #103
iatacs19
Major General
iatacs19's Avatar
United_States
92
Rep
5,209
Posts

 
Drives: 335is
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (6)

I need to see those scans... please?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 10:13 AM   #104
NYBMW335
Lieutenant
NYBMW335's Avatar
Portugal
6
Rep
420
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i jet black/black
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NYC

iTrader: (1)

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 10:25 AM   #105
txusa03
Major General
118
Rep
6,567
Posts

 
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Planet Earth

iTrader: (2)



This better be worth it. Last time someone said they will post up pics, they sure did but it came out too small to read. As a result, I now walk around with this

Dude, dont let us down, represent texas proudly and post some big prints asap.

remembered, everything is bigger in texas
__________________
under construction!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 10:40 AM   #106
T Bone
Brigadier General
T Bone's Avatar
145
Rep
4,021
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The land where we kill baby seals

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03 View Post


This better be worth it. Last time someone said they will post up pics, they sure did but it came out too small to read. As a result, I now walk around with this

Dude, dont let us down, represent texas proudly and post some big prints asap.

remembered, everything is bigger in texas

I heard from another source that the mods will be brakes / suspension / bodykits / wheels but no engine mods....
__________________
"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"......Enzo Ferrari
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 10:42 AM   #107
RiXst3r
RiXst3r's Avatar
153
Rep
6,509
Posts

 
Drives: M235i
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (14)

Send a message via AIM to RiXst3r
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
I heard from another source that the mods will be brakes / suspension / bodykits / wheels but no engine mods....
That is the first catalog, there is a second one...
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 10:45 AM   #108
SGP335i
Lieutenant
SGP335i's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
525
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i E92 Jet Blk
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Gaithersburg, MD

iTrader: (0)

Tic Toc Tic Toc
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 10:49 AM   #109
DrDomer
Major
DrDomer's Avatar
United_States
21
Rep
1,349
Posts

 
Drives: 2004 330ci ZHP, 1999 Miata
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Iowa

iTrader: (0)

If the new M3 is under $60K I would be astonished. The technology in that V8 justifies the price. If it is under $60K... I'll be first on the waiting list. Knowing that it won't be... I'll keep my 335i because it's not stretching my bank account.
__________________
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 10:53 AM   #110
paulGT3
Private First Class
paulGT3's Avatar
2
Rep
106
Posts

 
Drives: 07 335i
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mammoth Ca USA

iTrader: (0)

Thanks for the work!!
__________________

07 Z4M
06 4.8iS X5
07 GT silver GT3
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:01 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST