E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > CIC unit differences

11-20-2014, 10:51 AM   #1
damirj79
Rep
Drives: E91 325d

CIC unit differences

Hi,

i am trying to perform upgrade from CCC unit to CIC or even NBT. But browsing through ebay I found that F series also had CIC unit. Now the question is, what is the difference, if any, between CIC from E90 and F30, for example. Can use CIC from F30 in E90? If I would want to go NBT route, can I use NBT unit from any series or is there only one particular model which I would have to buy?

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 09:29 PM   #2
smithe90
I've been around
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F32 428 MSport

Send a message via AIM to smithe90
You cannot use F series CIC in an E-Series CIC retrofit.

-2014 F32 428i XDrive - MSport, Premium, Cold Weather, Drivers Assistance, Navi
Lease Assumed - 2014 F30 328i XDrive - Premium, Cold Weather, Nav, Apps.
RETIRED - 2007 328xi - LCI Conversion w/ M3 Rep front, CIC Retrofit, MULF2 Retrofit, F30 Sport Rims
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 06:00 AM   #3
damirj79
Rep
Drives: E91 325d

I thought so, thanks. What about the NBT units, is there any caution I need to take care before going that route except eNBT adapter?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 02:11 PM   #4
hooligan
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92

It is not possible to install CIC from F-series in E-series.
I also consider the NBT retrofit. I did many research, one company bimmer retrofiters from canada sell this product named eNBT Adapter, and they give me many information about what needed for NBT retrofit for my car using VIN. My opinion is that this upgrade kit is very new, and precise answers are very needed! Now I lookin who can do installatiions for me here in my town.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 02:57 PM   #5
9mmkungfu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
It is not possible to install CIC from F-series in E-series.
I also consider the NBT retrofit. I did many research, one company bimmer retrofiters from canada sell this product named eNBT Adapter, and they give me many information about what needed for NBT retrofit for my car using VIN. My opinion is that this upgrade kit is very new, and precise answers are very needed! Now I lookin who can do installatiions for me here in my town.
What's the difference between F-series CIC and NBT?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 10:59 AM   #6
PhreakShow
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330xd

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithe90 View Post
You cannot use F series CIC in an E-Series CIC retrofit.
Of course you can, it just depends on the effort you are willing to put in it. I did a retrofit of an F series NBT to a volvo.
However, without knowledge of CAN busses, a retrofit of F series hardware is quite difficult.

The NBT is the successor to the CIC, which includes a newer GUI, some new functions, usually bigger screens (but not necessary). The resolution is the same.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 11:06 AM   #7
9mmkungfu
Private First Class
Rep

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhreakShow View Post
The NBT is the successor to the CIC, which includes a newer GUI, some new functions, usually bigger screens (but not necessary). The resolution is the same.
I'm a little confused. I have a 2010 E90 LCI w/ CIC (2nd gen i-drive).

The other day, I had a F-series loaner car: 2014 335i w/ navigation; is this the F-series CIC or the NBT?

I'm asking because I see the NBT retrofits into the E-series cars (using the eNBT adapter) but I see references being made to the F-series CIC, which I thought was the same as NBT.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 11:07 AM   #8
smithe90
I've been around
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhreakShow View Post
Of course you can, it just depends on the effort you are willing to put in it. I did a retrofit of an F series NBT to a volvo.
However, without knowledge of CAN busses, a retrofit of F series hardware is quite difficult.

It requires more then just knowldge of CAN busses to retrofit an F series CIC into an E series car (which is a waste of money anyway since E-Series CIC headunits go for the same or less).

The problem, as is the same with NBT is the faceplate. You need some kind of converter to get the E9X faceplate to work on F series headunits. The faceplate is not canbus.

So yes, if you want to be an ass and insist its possible then you'd be right. But once you spend $500 on the converter that lets you use the faceplate then you would have to realize you just spent 500 more then you needed to to retrofit an F-Series CIC even though there is no different functionally then an E-Series CIC.

Of course you can technically put an NBT into a volvo. The same way you can run an NBT on a bench. You just need to tap power and CAN. But I'm sure the vehicle info and settings pages were useless.

RETIRED - 2007 328xi - LCI Conversion w/ M3 Rep front, CIC Retrofit, MULF2 Retrofit, F30 Sport Rims
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 11:08 AM   #9
smithe90
I've been around
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmkungfu View Post
I'm a little confused. I have a 2010 E90 LCI w/ CIC (2nd gen i-drive).

The other day, I had a F-series loaner car: 2014 335i w/ navigation; is this the F-series CIC or the NBT?

I'm asking because I see the NBT retrofits into the E-series cars (using the eNBT adapter) but I see references being made to the F-series CIC, which I thought was the same as NBT.
F-Series CIC is the same as E-Series CIC but the headunit itself connects a little different.

What you saw was NBT.

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 12:42 PM   #10
9mmkungfu
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
F-Series CIC is the same as E-Series CIC but the headunit itself connects a little different.

What you saw was NBT.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Other than the connection differences, are there any benefits to the F-series CIC vs the E-series CIC? Just curious.

The NBT system in the 2014 loaner that I had was a marked improvement over my E-series CIC.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 12:50 PM   #11
smithe90
I've been around
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmkungfu View Post
Thanks for clearing that up.

Other than the connection differences, are there any benefits to the F-series CIC vs the E-series CIC? Just curious.

The NBT system in the 2014 loaner that I had was a marked improvement over my E-series CIC.
Nope. Not a single difference.

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 02:17 PM   #12
djkevinnn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 335i

Quote:
Nope. Not a single difference.
Scott you know so much

JB N54 on Terra /// JB4 w. Pump Back End Flash /// VRSF DPs /// Helix FMIC /// AA CP/BOV /// KW v1 /// CDV Delete /// Clutch Stopper /// Blacklines /// Logic 7 Delete /// CIC Retrofit in a non i-Drive car w. Combox Media & Backup Camera
PM me for Coding in the NYC Tri-State Area
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 03:00 PM   #13
bmwretrofit
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: BMW

It is not possible to install F-series CIC into E-series vehicles without a lot of background work. Theoretically, it can be possible, but it will be very far from plug-and-play, and will require a lot of effort, rewiring and ECU replacement. And to honest why would you do this? CIC in F-series and E-series is roughly the same; there may be some minor differences in vehicle settings which are related to the chassis differences in E and F-series.

In general, the multimedia functionality of E and F-series CIC are equally the same. Another difference is display size: CIC display in E-series is 8", but can be 10" in some models of F-series BMW.

It is possible to install NBT into E-series vehicles, because we have developed a special adapter, eNBT Retrofit Adapter, which converts all required protocols to for correct operation of NBT in E-series. Realistically, there is no reason to develop an adapter for installing F-series CIC into E-series, since there are no major differences between these systems and it is just not worth it. We never looked into this possibility, especially because CIC is now discontinued.

NBT, on the other hand, is top of the line and is worth the effort.
It's been quite a project, but it was totally worth it!

Hope this clarifies everyone's questions about CIC differences
CIC and NBT retrofit kits, Safety and Security Systems Retrofits, Multimedia Retrofits, etc.

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 03:12 PM   #14
bmwretrofit
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: BMW

If anyone is considering either a CIC retrofit or NBT retrofit, you may find the following thread useful: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...9#post17048219

It provides a direct comparison of CIC and NBT retrofits in terms of functionality, effort and pricing.
CIC and NBT retrofit kits, Safety and Security Systems Retrofits, Multimedia Retrofits, etc.

Appreciate 0