E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Gloss black kidney girlls



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-15-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
BMWCOUPE
Private First Class
16
Rep
148
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Above the clouds

iTrader: (0)

Gloss black kidney girlls

Where can I get gloss black kidney grills for a E92 in Toronto/GTA?

How much do they typically cost?

On a space grey coupe is gloss black or matte black more popular

Are they difficult to install or can I install them myself?

If I do it myself do I risk damaging the OEM kidney grills?

Last edited by BMWCOUPE; 11-15-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 12:02 AM   #2
Revive
First Lieutenant
Revive's Avatar
Canada
3
Rep
305
Posts

Drives: AW 335i
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: VanCity, BC

iTrader: (0)

There are many vendors that sell both gloss and matte grills. You could also get the gloss thru Tischer BMW and typically will run you approx $120+ for the set new. The good thing about the gloss, they are OEM. The matte black ones you should be able to pick up for approx $60 new.

As far as installation goes, there is a do-it-yourself guide on here, just search for it. Follow that, and you should be good. As far as popularity, who cares whats popular or not. Get what YOU want, not what everyone else has. (If it makes a difference, I got the OEM gloss black ones).
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 12:15 AM   #3
BMWCOUPE
Private First Class
16
Rep
148
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Above the clouds

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revive View Post
There are many vendors that sell both gloss and matte grills. You could also get the gloss thru Tischer BMW and typically will run you approx $120+ for the set new. The good thing about the gloss, they are OEM. The matte black ones you should be able to pick up for approx $60 new.

As far as installation goes, there is a do-it-yourself guide on here, just search for it. Follow that, and you should be good. As far as popularity, who cares whats popular or not. Get what YOU want, not what everyone else has. (If it makes a difference, I got the OEM gloss black ones).
Thanks for your help. Is Tischer a. Shop in the GTA or is it an online store? Also did you personally install it yourself and would you reccomend a newbie with no car experience to install it himself as well?

Lastly is it udually standard to paint the black mesh grill on the bottom when getting the blacked out kidney grill?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 12:58 AM   #4
Revive
First Lieutenant
Revive's Avatar
Canada
3
Rep
305
Posts

Drives: AW 335i
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: VanCity, BC

iTrader: (0)

Tischer= http://getbmwparts.com/

As far as install goes, if your pretty handy with tools, then it shouldn't be a problem. I am not the most handy person, but I was able to remove the front bumper and replace both kidney grills and lower grills with no problems, although it did take me approx 1 hour to do it.

I would recommended just doing it yourself but if not, I'm sure you could probably ask a member here to help you out. Lots of helpful members here, I could of helped you but I'm in the GVA.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 01:10 AM   #5
Armito
Nai re!
Armito's Avatar
Greece
5
Rep
179
Posts

Drives: 2007 E92 335 - Montego Blue
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario

iTrader: (3)

Contact Mike at Maranello BMW
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 04:53 AM   #6
Gunchoz
Private
Gunchoz's Avatar
0
Rep
67
Posts

Drives: 08 E92 328i SGM
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC

iTrader: (0)

Here you go: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47059

It's a fairly simple DIY that you can do yourself. Having a buddy help you pull back the bumper cover will make things easier though.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 03:39 PM   #7
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
43
Rep
3,607
Posts

Drives: 2009 335 coupe.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Any BMW Dealer has grills. Get them to install next time youre in for service.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 04:14 PM   #8
Blackout335i
Second Lieutenant
Canada
5
Rep
274
Posts

Drives: 2008 E93 335i Black
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

I would highly recommend not doing the DIY paint job..It chips really badly and looks like crap over time..(been there, done that) Just spend the money and get the OEM, you'll be glad you did..
__________________
E93 335i Black Sapphire/ Saddle Brown/ Weisslicht LED Halo/ 15%tint/ OEM Black Grills/ De-badged

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 08:10 PM   #9
BMWCOUPE
Private First Class
16
Rep
148
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Above the clouds

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackout335i View Post
I would highly recommend not doing the DIY paint job..It chips really badly and looks like crap over time..(been there, done that) Just spend the money and get the OEM, you'll be glad you did..
Thanks for your opinion. When you get the black grill do you typically paint the bottom grill black aswell?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 08:14 PM   #10
BMWCOUPE
Private First Class
16
Rep
148
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Above the clouds

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaker View Post
Any BMW Dealer has grills. Get them to install next time youre in for service.
Will the installation cost me if I purchase from them? I just went out of warranty recently
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 12:33 AM   #11
Fozzy
Waaka Waaka
Fozzy's Avatar
Canada
7
Rep
467
Posts

Drives: 2009 E92 328xi
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Downtown Toronto

iTrader: (3)

got a good deal from Dennis at BMW Autohaus on Steeles
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 08:22 AM   #12
BMWCOUPE
Private First Class
16
Rep
148
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Above the clouds

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy View Post
got a good deal from Dennis at BMW Autohaus on Steeles
That's my local BMW dealership. How much should I expect to pay for the grills?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 09:24 AM   #13
Blackout335i
Second Lieutenant
Canada
5
Rep
274
Posts

Drives: 2008 E93 335i Black
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCOUPE View Post
Thanks for your opinion. When you get the black grill do you typically paint the bottom grill black aswell?
I did, just tape off the whole area really well and paint it yourself. Looks better with both sets of grills being black.
__________________
E93 335i Black Sapphire/ Saddle Brown/ Weisslicht LED Halo/ 15%tint/ OEM Black Grills/ De-badged

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 10:05 AM   #14
BMWCOUPE
Private First Class
16
Rep
148
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Above the clouds

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackout335i View Post
I did, just tape off the whole area really well and paint it yourself. Looks better with both sets of grills being black.
I do want to do that but I'm kind of hesitant at doing a DIY job for fear of messing up the bottom grills. I my thinking behind getting the gloss blsack grill was that I like the looks of it a lot and it makes the car look more aggressive but I'm fearful if I paint the bottom grills black it may effect resell value down the line as apposed to the gloss black grill in which I can eaisily swap out for OEM. Do I have a point here in terms of resell value or am I just over thinking it?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 11:08 AM   #15
Blackout335i
Second Lieutenant
Canada
5
Rep
274
Posts

Drives: 2008 E93 335i Black
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCOUPE View Post
I do want to do that but I'm kind of hesitant at doing a DIY job for fear of messing up the bottom grills. I my thinking behind getting the gloss blsack grill was that I like the looks of it a lot and it makes the car look more aggressive but I'm fearful if I paint the bottom grills black it may effect resell value down the line as apposed to the gloss black grill in which I can eaisily swap out for OEM. Do I have a point here in terms of resell value or am I just over thinking it?
over thinking it
__________________
E93 335i Black Sapphire/ Saddle Brown/ Weisslicht LED Halo/ 15%tint/ OEM Black Grills/ De-badged

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 03:12 PM   #16
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
43
Rep
3,607
Posts

Drives: 2009 335 coupe.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCOUPE View Post
I do want to do that but I'm kind of hesitant at doing a DIY job for fear of messing up the bottom grills. I my thinking behind getting the gloss blsack grill was that I like the looks of it a lot and it makes the car look more aggressive but I'm fearful if I paint the bottom grills black it may effect resell value down the line as apposed to the gloss black grill in which I can eaisily swap out for OEM. Do I have a point here in terms of resell value or am I just over thinking it?
way overthinking it. Who is going to notice? Worst case scenario is you have to spend about $80 to replace lower when you sell.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 09:26 PM   #17
BMWCOUPE
Private First Class
16
Rep
148
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Above the clouds

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaker View Post
way overthinking it. Who is going to notice? Worst case scenario is you have to spend about $80 to replace lower when you sell.
Thanks by $80 do you mean I can get a new black OEM bottom grill for that price or $80 to paint it?

I'm looking to probably get the OEM black bottom grills if possible do you know the price for that?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 12:30 AM   #18
pyceasyas123
Major
pyceasyas123's Avatar
137
Rep
1,037
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCOUPE View Post
Thanks by $80 do you mean I can get a new black OEM bottom grill for that price or $80 to paint it?

I'm looking to probably get the OEM black bottom grills if possible do you know the price for that?
Call the dealer or look on Tischer website to get a baseline. You'll get a quicker answer and exact price
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 01:29 PM   #19
RobSquared
Enlisted Member
RobSquared's Avatar
Philippines
0
Rep
38
Posts

Drives: 2010 335IX SDN & 2010 X3 28I
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: GTA-Ajax-Canada

iTrader: (0)

All this talk about grills is contagious...just ordered a set myself for my pre-lci 2007 e90 from a vendor/sponsor I found on one of the threads in the forums. JG Mods....$70 shipped to my door from the US for the 4pc matte black kidneys for my car. Hopefully it works out!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 02:55 PM   #20
Revive
First Lieutenant
Revive's Avatar
Canada
3
Rep
305
Posts

Drives: AW 335i
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: VanCity, BC

iTrader: (0)

I bought the lower OEM black mesh/grills from Tischer for $65 shipped. But just a heads up, the only way to install these is by removing the front bumper.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 02:42 PM   #21
Fozzy
Waaka Waaka
Fozzy's Avatar
Canada
7
Rep
467
Posts

Drives: 2009 E92 328xi
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Downtown Toronto

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCOUPE View Post
That's my local BMW dealership. How much should I expect to pay for the grills?
I think retail is $75-90 per side, you can likely get them for under $60 if you just talk to Dennis nicely.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 02:44 PM   #22
Fozzy
Waaka Waaka
Fozzy's Avatar
Canada
7
Rep
467
Posts

Drives: 2009 E92 328xi
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Downtown Toronto

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revive View Post
I bought the lower OEM black mesh/grills from Tischer for $65 shipped. But just a heads up, the only way to install these is by removing the front bumper.
not true for the kidney grill though....lots of DIY on here explaining the technique. I did it in 15 min one side then 5 minutes the next after figuring out the trick.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:43 AM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST