E90Post

MINHS Auto Care Center

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Voided warranty

11-16-2011, 12:14 AM   #1
kieselba3

Drives: '08 335xi

Voided warranty

I wanted to ask all of the members to share any first hand experience where the dealer either voided their warranty or tired to void their warranty biased on aftermarket modifications. Tons of people are worried about this happening but I have never heard of it actually happening.
      11-16-2011, 02:56 AM   #2
e90fun
('''\(;,,,;)/''')

Drives: AW 335i e90

dealership back in norcal supposedly flagged my car and "voided" my warranty but its bs.

they are the worst dealership and was rediculous to deal with.

long story short, they refused service and warranty work because i had a datalogging cable in my glove box.

basically told them to give me my keys and i complained to bmwna the next day.

Got the problem fixed at another dealership ~40 mins away and BMWNA called back to ask me more about the problem and went on to give me a gift card for troubles.

The gift card was because so many people called to complain about them and I believe they are on the verge of closing soon... Thank god.
      11-16-2011, 10:18 AM   #3
1000klr
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 Bmw 335i/JB4

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90fun View Post
dealership back in norcal supposedly flagged my car and "voided" my warranty but its bs.

they are the worst dealership and was rediculous to deal with.

long story short, they refused service and warranty work because i had a datalogging cable in my glove box.

basically told them to give me my keys and i complained to bmwna the next day.

Got the problem fixed at another dealership ~40 mins away and BMWNA called back to ask me more about the problem and went on to give me a gift card for troubles.

The gift card was because so many people called to complain about them and I believe they are on the verge of closing soon... Thank god.
i need to do this for my local dealership as well, they have been refrusing to adjust my injectors telling me it doesnt need to be done even when i am offering my money to them. after calling about 5 times i ended up going to a dealer 2 hours away because he wouldnt do it. he said he was an independent dealer and could refruse service to whomever he chose.
Sold: 2008 BMW 335i(JB4, Stett CP/Tial BOV,BMS DCI, Raceland Catless DP)
      11-16-2011, 10:21 AM   #4
bryce
Banned

Drives: zhp 3-pedal

Garage List
most people are pussies about mods and dealerships. i take my car in with full mods on, with procede on map 0. they never have said anything to me, i've had hpfp replaced, oil changes, etc. with no issues
      11-16-2011, 10:42 AM   #5
MuchMoore
Colonel

Drives: 08 E90 335i

Send a message via AIM to MuchMoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce View Post
most people are pussies about mods and dealerships. i take my car in with full mods on, with procede on map 0. they never have said anything to me, i've had hpfp replaced, oil changes, etc. with no issues
The maintenance plan is not "warranty", and the HPFP was a recall for all N54s. We will see what that dealer says when a modded car comes in with a cylinder down on compression...

It's pay to play for sure.

MuchMoore is offline   United_States
      11-16-2011, 10:48 AM   #6
Royal Flush
Major

Drives: 335i, 335is, GT-R, SL65

Send a message via AIM to Royal Flush
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselba3 View Post
I wanted to ask all of the members to share any first hand experience where the dealer either voided their warranty or tired to void their warranty biased on aftermarket modifications. Tons of people are worried about this happening but I have never heard of it actually happening.
Do some research and/or ask in your sub-forum for recommended dealers, and recommended SAs/techs at those dealers. Some are known to be "mod-friendly." If you notice a dealer where there's a lot of @$&^!%* personnel, you obviously don't even want to chance it with that one.

The mods that most "mod-friendly" dealers/SAs/techs don't seem to mind are FMIC, exhaust, and intake. Downpipes are really iffy, and you can always uninstall your tune before you go in for warranty service.

Quote:
Other than the HPFP replacement, which was a recall, what other warranty service did you have done on your car?
Royal Flush is offline   United_States
      11-16-2011, 10:54 AM   #7
bryce
Banned

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuchMoore View Post
The maintenance plan is not "warranty", and the HPFP was a recall for all N54s. We will see what that dealer says when a modded car comes in with a cylinder down on compression...

It's pay to play for sure.
off-topic, but how many n54's have you read about that are low on compression on one or more cylinders due to having a tune?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Flush View Post

Other than the HPFP replacement, which was a recall, what other warranty service did you have done on your car?

this is my 2nd n54; i had a 135i before my e90. i had 2 hpfp replacements before bmw issued the recalls last year, plus things like brake lights, seat belts, etc. nothing else has gone wrong with my cars requiring warranty service.
      11-16-2011, 10:55 AM   #8
kieselba3

Has anyone ever taken in thier car for work where they have removed their tune or piggy back and been caught anyway? I assume an oil change wouldn't cause the dear to dig too deep into the car but if you came in with a blown motor they might dig a little deeper and maybe find traces of a tune?
      11-16-2011, 10:58 AM   #9
Royal Flush
Major

Quote:
plus things like brake lights, seat belts, etc. nothing else has gone wrong with my cars requiring warranty service.
Then of course they wouldn't void your warranty? Why would they void your warranty for "brake lights, seat belts, etc."? Why would any of those relate to any performance modifications?
      11-16-2011, 11:02 AM   #10
bryce
Banned

Garage List
point is, most dealers are cool with mods, as long as the service needed can't be traced to the mods in the first place. there's no need to strip your car of mods for regular service or recalls like hpfp or injectors
      11-16-2011, 11:11 AM   #11
Royal Flush
Major

Quote:
this is my 2nd n54; i had a 135i before my e90.
What year is your E90?

Quote:
point is, most dealers are cool with mods, as long as the service needed can't be traced to the mods in the first place.
The point is that you missed the bottom line that none of the service you've been in for relates anywhere close to any sort of performance modifications. The OP wasn't asking about "regular service", he was talking about warranty service. You can't possibly believe that if you have engine trouble other than the HPFP, that you're going to strut into your dealership FBO and with a tune, and not hear one word about it?

Quote:
there's no need to strip your car of mods for regular service or recalls like hpfp or injectors
...."or injectors". Please go in and say that your injectors, spark plugs, and coils need replacing, while having all of your mods on, and then post your results in this thread.

OP: The only thing he was correct about was that a dealer must point straight to, or directly relate your modifications to your problem to void or deny your warranty. It can be easy to relate any performance modification to any engine troubles, which is why most people just strip off any of their modifications before they go in for any big warranty service. In bryce's case, he was special, they can't blame his performance modifications for his brakes lights or seat belt troubles.

Last edited by Royal Flush; 11-16-2011 at 11:20 AM.
      11-16-2011, 11:18 AM   #12
bryce
Banned

Garage List
i guess the OP's question is up for interpretation. i took it as him asking if warranties have been voided for mods being on the car when in for regular service.
      11-16-2011, 11:20 AM   #13
bryce
Banned

Garage List
in regards to service on my car with mods on, i replaced spark plugs and coil packs myself, because i couldn't replicate the misfires with the tune on map 0 or uninstalled. if my injectors need replacing, i'll keep my mods on for the service, because an injector failing has nothing to do with a tune or downpipes. just like the hpfp, bmw will remove and test each injector on a bench if it's suspected of failing.
      11-16-2011, 11:50 AM   #14
BobS
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: M3

Most of these dealers have a certain amount of time they can claim for warranty with BMW NA. They aren't going to waste thier own time/money to have thier tech check a car for a possible reason to void the warranty. Unless its completely obvious (tuner codes, broken or hacked ecu cover, meth hooked up, etc), they will just check the car, replace the part, and submit it to warranty.

OEM's like BMW are strict on thier warranty reimbursement, thats why the techs are trained, BMW will pay a certain amount of time for a repair unless there is a good reason to pay more.

Evolve Supercharged E92 M3
      11-16-2011, 12:51 PM   #15
Bakeme521
Some say...

Drives: Fresh

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [4.04]
Quote:
point is, most dealers are cool with mods, as long as the service needed can't be traced to the mods in the first place. there's no need to strip your car of mods for regular service or recalls like hpfp or injectors
Chances are you car is flagged and you don't know it just so if you have a major issue they will do the work and charge you out the ass. Just saying.

I have exhaust and an intake...
Bakeme521 is offline   United_States
      11-16-2011, 12:54 PM   #16
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
It all depends on your dealer and SA.

When in doubt take it out.

I know locals that go in FBO and Meth and have turbo's, clutches, injectors, ETC ETC all replaced.

Sometimes its not what you know but who you know
Jeff@TopGearSolutions is offline   United_States
      11-16-2011, 12:57 PM   #17
bryce
Banned

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeme521 View Post
Chances are you car is flagged and you don't know it just so if you have a major issue they will do the work and charge you out the ass. Just saying.
lol.....you guys are too paranoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post

I know locals that go in FBO and Meth and have turbo's, clutches, injectors, ETC ETC all replaced.Sometimes its not what you know but who you know
      11-16-2011, 01:05 PM   #18
V8Killer
Private First Class

Drives: Alpine White 335i 6MT

I just took my car in yesterday for some service with ww meth and everything else left on it and nothing was said. Do they usually keep it a secret if your flagged? I've never cared plus my warranty is up in June anyways and I don't drive it in the winter so if anything I only lose a couple months of warranty
V8Killer is offline   United_States
      11-16-2011, 01:28 PM   #19
Wedge1967
Colonel

Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

I always take my car in with full mods. Like the techs told me as long as they can't link the failure to the mod then they don't care. If you put something on your car that requires special tools or knowledge and they can't diagnose the issue because of your tune, then that can cause a problem and they could refuse to trouble shoot an issue. If you have an FMIC and you are loosing boost because of a leak on a connector and you take it in for turbo diagnostic and they find the leak is from your mod, they can charge you for the diagnostic and labor to fix the issue. Just be understanding if they do say something and know your rights as a consumer. You have laws that protect you.
Wedge1967 is offline   United_States
      11-16-2011, 03:17 PM   #20
imageautodetail
Captain

Drives: 08 335 silverback

Garage List
2008 335 e90  [0.00]
2007 e90 335  [2.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post

I know locals that go in FBO and Meth and have turbo's, clutches, injectors, ETC ETC all replaced.

Sometimes its not what you know but who you know
Im friends with my SA so when I was under warranty it went in FBO no questions asked, It was in there the other day and the Service manager saw the methanol and laughed...found out later that he made sure I was out of warranty thru my SA (i was at 103,000)
      11-16-2011, 03:33 PM   #21
kieselba3

Ok, so at this point there is no one on here that has had a dealer void part of their warranty based off of a tune? I want to get the Cobb access port and will always clear the tune before service. I just don't want to throw a rod or blow a turbo and have the dealer look into it and find out that there was a tune on there at one point that caused the issue.
      11-16-2011, 03:57 PM   #22
cbecker33
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselba3 View Post
Ok, so at this point there is no one on here that has had a dealer void part of their warranty based off of a tune? I want to get the Cobb access port and will always clear the tune before service. I just don't want to throw a rod or blow a turbo and have the dealer look into it and find out that there was a tune on there at one point that caused the issue.

Don't some of the maps up the rev limit and remove top speed limiter? While I seriously doubt I will ever see the top speed of my car, I do think it is possible to bounce off the rev limiter. If it has been raised will the dealer be able to see it?

-Chris