E90Post
 


TireRack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Voided warranty



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-16-2011, 04:10 PM   #23
xclone
Putting more gas in the car...
 
Drives: 2008 535i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC

Posts: 36
iTrader: (0)

The dealer CAN see if you have exceeded the top speed set by the limiter of the car. Cobb, to my knowledge, does not remove that when you remove the tune. So in the case of a blown engine, and they start digging around to find you were doing 180mph, then they could certainly make a case that your engine was modified in such a way that allowed it to blow. Removing the tune removes the top speed limiter default, but I'd love to hear directly from Cobb if they reset any historical data stored that shows your cars speed.
__________________
2008 BMW 535iA | Cobb Stg2+ | Injen Intake | AR Catted DP's | CP-E FMIC | Turbosmart DV's | ER Charge Pipe
xclone is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2011, 04:30 PM   #24
ajsalida
Lieutenant Colonel
 
ajsalida's Avatar
 
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SW USA

Posts: 1,614
iTrader: (2)

I think the point about leaving mods on vs taking them off for a dealer visit is, while you may get service and even minor warranty work done with no problems, your VIN may go into a "detected tune/mod" database so that in the future if major $$$ things grenade, BMWNA can if they wish deny coverage (not the dealer nor even your friendly SA has any say in it).

I was told explicitly that a Dinan tune (installed by the dealership's own dinan franchise) would void the existing CPO automatically. I.e. the moment BMWNA was notified of Dinan tune installed, no more CPO. Car was then still under original manuf. warranty.
ajsalida is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2011, 10:43 PM   #25
1000klr
First Lieutenant
 
1000klr's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Bmw 335i/JB4
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Greenville, NC

Posts: 378
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuchMoore View Post
The maintenance plan is not "warranty", and the HPFP was a recall for all N54s. We will see what that dealer says when a modded car comes in with a cylinder down on compression...

It's pay to play for sure.
incorrect hpfp was NOT recalled for ALL n54's, my car has had neither recall on injectors or hpfp yet ive had BOTH go out on me
__________________
Current: 2012 Mustang GT 5.0(Brembo Package, Jon Lund tune, steeda 101mm CAI, roush axlebacks, offroad xpipe)
Current: 2008 Honda CBR1000RR
(Jardine Slip-On, PC III, dyno tuned at 173 rwhp)
Sold: 2008 BMW 335i(JB4, Stett CP/Tial BOV,BMS DCI, Raceland Catless DP)
1000klr is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-17-2011, 10:18 AM   #26
cbecker33
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: StL

Posts: 216
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xclone View Post
....Removing the tune removes the top speed limiter default, but I'd love to hear directly from Cobb if they reset any historical data stored that shows your cars speed.
^ Good question.

Also, does Cobb adjust the rev limiter?

-Chris
cbecker33 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-17-2011, 10:46 AM   #27
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 1,884
iTrader: (0)

A long time ago (prior to injector recall) I had brought my car in several times for cold start misfires. The dumb tech couldn't figure out what the problem was, even though I told them several times that I was positive it was the injectors. I brought my car in stock, but left my meth lines under the car and controller in the trunk under the mat. They had no problems with this until about the 4th time I brought my car in for cold start misfires (they kept saying it was normal - complete BS). At this time they said they refused to do any work cuz I had modified my car. Basically, they were using it as an excuse to not fix their multiple failures as a mechanic. My warranty was "voided". I ended up replacing the injectors myself and lo and behold problem solved.

After that I just started bringing my car in fully modded, FBO + meth. I have had maintenance done, front sub-frame replaced, power steering pulley replaced, hpfp replaced, injector recall checked out, windshield replaced, radiator vent hose replaced, and some other basic stuff I can't remember. All of this stuff can be argued that my mods wouldn't have affected it. I doubt they would've replaced blown turbos or damaged block had that ever happened though.
__________________
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
GeorgiaTech335coupe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-17-2011, 10:49 AM   #28
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 1,884
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000klr View Post
incorrect hpfp was NOT recalled for ALL n54's, my car has had neither recall on injectors or hpfp yet ive had BOTH go out on me
I'm pretty sure the recall on HPFP is for all with the older part #s. They replaced mine without it ever actually having problems (40k miles?). I miss my original HPFP, he was strong. My new one scares me all the times with long cranks.

Injector recall is based on a certain batch of injectors. I've replaced bad injectors post recall that BMW said didn't need replacing.
__________________
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
GeorgiaTech335coupe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-17-2011, 12:41 PM   #29
1000klr
First Lieutenant
 
1000klr's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Bmw 335i/JB4
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Greenville, NC

Posts: 378
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335coupe View Post
I'm pretty sure the recall on HPFP is for all with the older part #s. They replaced mine without it ever actually having problems (40k miles?). I miss my original HPFP, he was strong. My new one scares me all the times with long cranks.

Injector recall is based on a certain batch of injectors. I've replaced bad injectors post recall that BMW said didn't need replacing.
bmw pulls up recalls based on VIN numbers not on whether its a faulty product or not. my VIN pulls up no open recalls, but i had hpfp replaced under warranty and had injector replaced out of my own pocket
__________________
Current: 2012 Mustang GT 5.0(Brembo Package, Jon Lund tune, steeda 101mm CAI, roush axlebacks, offroad xpipe)
Current: 2008 Honda CBR1000RR
(Jardine Slip-On, PC III, dyno tuned at 173 rwhp)
Sold: 2008 BMW 335i(JB4, Stett CP/Tial BOV,BMS DCI, Raceland Catless DP)
1000klr is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-17-2011, 02:34 PM   #30
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 1,884
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000klr View Post
bmw pulls up recalls based on VIN numbers not on whether its a faulty product or not. my VIN pulls up no open recalls, but i had hpfp replaced under warranty and had injector replaced out of my own pocket

AFAIK,
The injector recall is based on a barcode # on the actual injector. They physically take out each injector to see if they fall under the recall. So they can't find it out through VIN. This is why some people only get a few injectors replaced and not all. It was a batch that probably was out of tolerance.

As far HPFP, bringing up your VIN will show information on build date and whether your car has already had the replacement. This could tell you whether you have the bad part# of the HPFP. I would be surprised if any n54 prior to 2010 is still on the original HPFP and doesn't have an open recall.
__________________
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
GeorgiaTech335coupe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-17-2011, 08:26 PM   #31
1000klr
First Lieutenant
 
1000klr's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Bmw 335i/JB4
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Greenville, NC

Posts: 378
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335coupe View Post
AFAIK,
The injector recall is based on a barcode # on the actual injector. They physically take out each injector to see if they fall under the recall. So they can't find it out through VIN. This is why some people only get a few injectors replaced and not all. It was a batch that probably was out of tolerance.

As far HPFP, bringing up your VIN will show information on build date and whether your car has already had the replacement. This could tell you whether you have the bad part# of the HPFP. I would be surprised if any n54 prior to 2010 is still on the original HPFP and doesn't have an open recall.
bmw cannot even scan injectors on a car that doesnt pull up a VIN recall...know how i know...i just replaced injector and bmw couldnt do anything about it. whats gonna suck is when we see the a 335 pass over 120k miles and get out of the hpfp warranty and not be under recall, they will be replacing that out of their own pocket
__________________
Current: 2012 Mustang GT 5.0(Brembo Package, Jon Lund tune, steeda 101mm CAI, roush axlebacks, offroad xpipe)
Current: 2008 Honda CBR1000RR
(Jardine Slip-On, PC III, dyno tuned at 173 rwhp)
Sold: 2008 BMW 335i(JB4, Stett CP/Tial BOV,BMS DCI, Raceland Catless DP)
1000klr is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-18-2011, 12:00 AM   #32
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 1,884
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000klr View Post
bmw cannot even scan injectors on a car that doesnt pull up a VIN recall...know how i know...i just replaced injector and bmw couldnt do anything about it. whats gonna suck is when we see the a 335 pass over 120k miles and get out of the hpfp warranty and not be under recall, they will be replacing that out of their own pocket
Did you buy your car new? Maybe they already checked your car for the injector recall with the previous owner. I am on my 3rd set of injectors, the 3rd set I have replaced on my own dollar, which some were after BMW inspected all my injectors to see if they had the recall. I know all about these dumb injectors. If your VIN brings up that your car went through a recall, then of course they wouldn't do it again. If VIN was the only thing, they looked up, then why would some people get all 6 injectors looked at and only a couple replaced. Sure they look up your VIN first to see if you are eligible for the recall. If you haven't had it, then they go to the next step which is scan the injector part #. For HPFP, when they pull up the VIN they can see which HPFP you have. They use both the VIN and the part# to figure out whether they should replace the part. Does that not make sense? VIN is the first weed out of cars that won't need the recall, then part # weeds out the parts that don't need the recall.
__________________
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
GeorgiaTech335coupe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-18-2011, 12:03 AM   #33
TwinTurboXI
Major
 
Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh

Posts: 1,375
iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335coupe View Post
Did you buy your car new? Maybe they already checked your car for the injector recall with the previous owner. I am on my 3rd set of injectors, the 3rd set I have replaced on my own dollar, which some were after BMW inspected all my injectors to see if they had the recall. I know all about these dumb injectors. If your VIN brings up that your car went through a recall, then of course they wouldn't do it again. If VIN was the only thing, they looked up, then why would some people get all 6 injectors looked at and only a couple replaced. Sure they look up your VIN first to see if you are eligible for the recall. If you haven't had it, then they go to the next step which is scan the injector part #. For HPFP, when they pull up the VIN they can see which HPFP you have. They use both the VIN and the part# to figure out whether they should replace the part. Does that not make sense? VIN is the first weed out of cars that won't need the recall, then part # weeds out the parts that don't need the recall.
Any idea what the part numbers for the faulty injectors are?

I'd like to check mine myself without going to the dealer.
TwinTurboXI is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-18-2011, 12:30 AM   #34
Hisam135i
Major
 
Hisam135i's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Irvine, CA

Posts: 1,158
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbecker33 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselba3 View Post
Ok, so at this point there is no one on here that has had a dealer void part of their warranty based off of a tune? I want to get the Cobb access port and will always clear the tune before service. I just don't want to throw a rod or blow a turbo and have the dealer look into it and find out that there was a tune on there at one point that caused the issue.

Don't some of the maps up the rev limit and remove top speed limiter? While I seriously doubt I will ever see the top speed of my car, I do think it is possible to bounce off the rev limiter. If it has been raised will the dealer be able to see it?


-Chris

100000 this is what I have been worried about and what's holding me back from my Cobb purchase don't want the rev limiter set to 7200 over the factory 7000 can't they see that engine has been over reved that way thus meaning theres a tune even if the codes are cleared during the uninstall?
__________________
2008 Monaco Blue 335i | Terracotta | Premium | Auto | Comfort Access | Matte-black Grills | Carbon Fiber Splitters | 20% Tint | 1- point E9x Picture Game | Staggered 19' VMR V701 | Legal Disclaimer: My posts on this website cannot be held against me in any issues, such as warranty claims. |
Hisam135i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-18-2011, 09:14 AM   #35
sear
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 335xi
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Colorado Springs

Posts: 462
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000klr View Post
bmw cannot even scan injectors on a car that doesnt pull up a VIN recall...know how i know...i just replaced injector and bmw couldnt do anything about it. whats gonna suck is when we see the a 335 pass over 120k miles and get out of the hpfp warranty and not be under recall, they will be replacing that out of their own pocket
I don't think this is correct. If you replaced your injectors before the recall and the old parts were gone, then that was likley the issue. If you had kept the old parts they likley could have scanned them and potentiall reembursed you. Thier scan is only knowledble of the part SNs that are affected by the recall and they don't keep an association of exact part SNs to VIN for this purpose. If my assumptions are true, you might have a shot of getting someting back with a letter to BMWNA.
sear is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-18-2011, 10:05 AM   #36
cbecker33
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: StL

Posts: 216
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisam135i View Post
100000 this is what I have been worried about and what's holding me back from my Cobb purchase don't want the rev limiter set to 7200 over the factory 7000 can't they see that engine has been over reved that way thus meaning theres a tune even if the codes are cleared during the uninstall?
This is the ONLY reason I have yet to buy a Cobb. I love the ease of use and the ability to quickly add/change maps BUT everything I have read has said there is no real reason to rev that high (no power up there). Why do this and risk tipping off dealer?

-Chris
cbecker33 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-18-2011, 10:41 AM   #37
Royal Flush
Major
 
Royal Flush's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i, 335is, GT-R, SL65
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NoVA/NYC/LV

Posts: 1,306
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to Royal Flush
FWIW there have been a handful of people that have had Cobb and had their turbos replaced or other major warranty services performed.
Royal Flush is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-20-2011, 12:21 AM   #38
1000klr
First Lieutenant
 
1000klr's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Bmw 335i/JB4
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Greenville, NC

Posts: 378
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sear View Post
I don't think this is correct. If you replaced your injectors before the recall and the old parts were gone, then that was likley the issue. If you had kept the old parts they likley could have scanned them and potentiall reembursed you. Thier scan is only knowledble of the part SNs that are affected by the recall and they don't keep an association of exact part SNs to VIN for this purpose. If my assumptions are true, you might have a shot of getting someting back with a letter to BMWNA.
trust me dude ive talked to about 30 different people from BMWNA to 6 different dealers...
__________________
Current: 2012 Mustang GT 5.0(Brembo Package, Jon Lund tune, steeda 101mm CAI, roush axlebacks, offroad xpipe)
Current: 2008 Honda CBR1000RR
(Jardine Slip-On, PC III, dyno tuned at 173 rwhp)
Sold: 2008 BMW 335i(JB4, Stett CP/Tial BOV,BMS DCI, Raceland Catless DP)
1000klr is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-20-2011, 12:24 AM   #39
1000klr
First Lieutenant
 
1000klr's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Bmw 335i/JB4
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Greenville, NC

Posts: 378
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335coupe View Post
Did you buy your car new? Maybe they already checked your car for the injector recall with the previous owner. I am on my 3rd set of injectors, the 3rd set I have replaced on my own dollar, which some were after BMW inspected all my injectors to see if they had the recall. I know all about these dumb injectors. If your VIN brings up that your car went through a recall, then of course they wouldn't do it again. If VIN was the only thing, they looked up, then why would some people get all 6 injectors looked at and only a couple replaced. Sure they look up your VIN first to see if you are eligible for the recall. If you haven't had it, then they go to the next step which is scan the injector part #. For HPFP, when they pull up the VIN they can see which HPFP you have. They use both the VIN and the part# to figure out whether they should replace the part. Does that not make sense? VIN is the first weed out of cars that won't need the recall, then part # weeds out the parts that don't need the recall.
i bought it 2 yrs old with 20k on it. if the car isnt under warranty and the VIN pulls up no recalls they cannot even replace a recalled part. I had the car at the dealer this week and even though i have bad injectors and hpfp my "VIN" pulls up no open recall campaigns so bmw wont do anything
__________________
Current: 2012 Mustang GT 5.0(Brembo Package, Jon Lund tune, steeda 101mm CAI, roush axlebacks, offroad xpipe)
Current: 2008 Honda CBR1000RR
(Jardine Slip-On, PC III, dyno tuned at 173 rwhp)
Sold: 2008 BMW 335i(JB4, Stett CP/Tial BOV,BMS DCI, Raceland Catless DP)
1000klr is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-20-2011, 12:29 AM   #40
Bleep
First Lieutenant
 
Bleep's Avatar
 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Brooklyn NY

Posts: 370
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbecker33 View Post
This is the ONLY reason I have yet to buy a Cobb. I love the ease of use and the ability to quickly add/change maps BUT everything I have read has said there is no real reason to rev that high (no power up there). Why do this and risk tipping off dealer?

-Chris
I think in one of the recent Cobb updates they removed the raised RPM limiter.
Bleep is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2011, 09:45 AM   #41
cbecker33
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: StL

Posts: 216
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleep View Post
I think in one of the recent Cobb updates they removed the raised RPM limiter.

I can't find that info, do you have a link?

-Chris
cbecker33 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-22-2011, 10:39 AM   #42
Bleep
First Lieutenant
 
Bleep's Avatar
 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Brooklyn NY

Posts: 370
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbecker33 View Post
I can't find that info, do you have a link?

-Chris
I can't find a specific mention for it but before the v203 maps were released a few people were getting limp modes at the 7200 rev limiter and a few days later Cobb released 203 saying they adjusting shift points to make it smoother on an AT. Rob@Cobb said "The map changes are to the AT rev limits and how smooth the shifts are."

Also, all logs I've done stop at 7000 RPM.

Reference post: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...46&postcount=7

Edit: Found it. If you look at the PDF for the v203 map notes "this update reverts the stock limiters to stock settings for AT vehicles"

There you go.
Bleep is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-22-2011, 10:41 AM   #43
cbecker33
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: StL

Posts: 216
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleep View Post
I can't find a specific mention for it but before the v203 maps were released a few people were getting limp modes at the 7200 rev limiter and a few days later Cobb released 203 saying they adjusting shift points to make it smoother on an AT. Rob@Cobb said "The map changes are to the AT rev limits and how smooth the shifts are."

Also, all logs I've done stop at 7000 RPM.

Reference post: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...46&postcount=7

Great - thank you for that!

-Chris
cbecker33 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-22-2011, 01:01 PM   #44
805beemer
Captain
 
Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lompoc, CA

Posts: 615
iTrader: (3)

http://cobbtuning.com/info/?id=5894

If you look at the top of each map its says either stock rev limiter or raised rev limiter. The drive maps are the only ones that say stock. But i believe the rev limit is only raised on Manuel tranny's. I'm running stage 2+ sport with AT and haven't seen it rev past 7k rpms.
805beemer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:47 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST