E90Post
 


GT Haus
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Easy Care Warranty/Maintenance Warranty



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-17-2011, 12:11 PM   #1
hwa786
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 08 BMW 328xi
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Metro Detroit

Posts: 482
iTrader: (0)

Easy Care Warranty/Maintenance Warranty

Hey guys, I was at the dealer picking up my car from service and had a chat with my SA. My car already is CPO'd, and my 50k mile warranty ends next June or within a few thousand miles. I was wondering how many people have bought the Easy Care Warranty and/or the Maintenance warranty and is it worth it? My SA tells me I shouldnt buy either or for numerous reasons, but main reason is that I wont really have repairs worth the few grand I put into the warranty. I will probably spend less out of pocket to fix the minor things rather then spend the $3-4K on the warranty itself. I appologise if this is a repost and if its in located in the wrong section. But lets see what people have to say about either warranty! And what exactly does the easy care warranty cover for our cars?

Thanks!
__________________
2008 BMW 328xi Sedan - Montego Blue Metallic

hwa786 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-17-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
ilovemybimmer
New Member
 
Drives: BMW 328xi 2007
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: NY

Posts: 9
iTrader: (0)

I wish I extended by maintenance warranty. Since the warranty expired, I've had to change microfilters, replace all breaks, and a few other things. The warranty would have set me back $2,200~, and I've already spent around $1,800 in around a year.
ilovemybimmer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-17-2011, 12:43 PM   #3
Cisco661
Cisco661
 
Cisco661's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Monaco Blue 330I
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: California

Posts: 908
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
I just came off my cpo on the 31st of oct.. decided on not getting an extended warranty. my car is an 06 330i. it just passed 63k miles today. i have so far only had starter motor and a SAS replaced under cpo. the car feels great. took it in 3 days before cpo expired and my SA hooked me up with an oil change, air filter, new front brakes, and a scope inspection for free. car isnt due for any big services until sometime late next year. i'll probably do an oil change. if i was u i wouldnt get one.
Cisco661 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-17-2011, 12:46 PM   #4
ndog14
Banned
 
Drives: E90 328xi 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 1,746
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemybimmer View Post
I wish I extended by maintenance warranty. Since the warranty expired, I've had to change microfilters, replace all breaks, and a few other things. The warranty would have set me back $2,200~, and I've already spent around $1,800 in around a year.
WHAT?!!!!?!?!?!?!?

Find a good indy shop, BMW stealerships (thats what they are) rip you good.

A microfilter is like $50, depends on the website http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-15...-charcoal.aspx
ndog14 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-17-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
jokergerm
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: seattle

Posts: 538
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndog14 View Post
WHAT?!!!!?!?!?!?!?

Find a good indy shop, BMW stealerships (thats what they are) rip you good.

A microfilter is like $50, depends on the website http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-15...-charcoal.aspx
^^^ DID YOU MISS THE PART ABOUT THE BRAKES AND A FEW OTHER THINGS???

He did not pay 1800 bucks for a filter. c'mon
__________________
jokergerm is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-17-2011, 03:33 PM   #6
hwa786
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 08 BMW 328xi
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Metro Detroit

Posts: 482
iTrader: (0)

Oh, well I just got my brakes done about 2k miles ago...and I wont need brakes for atlesat another 35k miles....so thats another thing I should have pointed out....but I am mostly worrying about the Easy Care....anyone have info about that?
__________________
2008 BMW 328xi Sedan - Montego Blue Metallic

hwa786 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-17-2011, 05:16 PM   #7
Tom K.
Major General
 
Tom K.'s Avatar
 
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland

Posts: 5,358
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwa786 View Post
Oh, well I just got my brakes done about 2k miles ago...and I wont need brakes for atlesat another 35k miles....so thats another thing I should have pointed out....but I am mostly worrying about the Easy Care....anyone have info about that?
If you will not need brakes during the Extended Maintenance period, it's not worth more than $600 or so for the 2 oil changes, one 30k Inspection and one brake fluid change - less if you DIY or use an independant BMW mechanic.

Tom
Tom K. is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-17-2011, 05:22 PM   #8
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
 
Syndicategt's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Nor Cal

Posts: 3,732
iTrader: (11)

Maintenance Warranty is a complete waste of money! Lets break this down.

For $3,000 and 50,000 miles you get:

3 Oil Changes
2 Air Filters
2 Wiper Blades
Brake Fluid Flush
Brake Pads
And a few minor things

Now, lets brake it down on what it will cost you:
3 Oil Changes ($69 if DIY) - $207
2 Cabin Air Filters - $100
2 Wiper Blades ($48 a set) - $96
Brake Fluid Flush - $200-300
Brake Pads - $300 for pads + $100 if you can't DIY

= $1200 ~ seems like a win win for the dealer to me!


Now a CPO or full Service warranty might be worth the $3,000. Since mine has been out of service I spent:
$3,000 + install on new turbos (Yes I know, stock turbos are $600 each)
$1,200 for a SZL
$725 for transmission pan, fluid, gaskets, sleeve + labor (I should have done this myself)
__________________
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Syndicategt is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-19-2011, 12:01 AM   #9
hwa786
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 08 BMW 328xi
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Metro Detroit

Posts: 482
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicategt View Post
Maintenance Warranty is a complete waste of money! Lets break this down.

For $3,000 and 50,000 miles you get:

3 Oil Changes
2 Air Filters
2 Wiper Blades
Brake Fluid Flush
Brake Pads
And a few minor things

Now, lets brake it down on what it will cost you:
3 Oil Changes ($69 if DIY) - $207
2 Cabin Air Filters - $100
2 Wiper Blades ($48 a set) - $96
Brake Fluid Flush - $200-300
Brake Pads - $300 for pads + $100 if you can't DIY

= $1200 ~ seems like a win win for the dealer to me!


Now a CPO or full Service warranty might be worth the $3,000. Since mine has been out of service I spent:
$3,000 + install on new turbos (Yes I know, stock turbos are $600 each)
$1,200 for a SZL
$725 for transmission pan, fluid, gaskets, sleeve + labor (I should have done this myself)
Well I have a 328 and thats why he was telling me the EasyCare wont really be any worth to me because I dont have the turbo engine which is the main cause of issues on the car.
__________________
2008 BMW 328xi Sedan - Montego Blue Metallic

hwa786 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-19-2011, 01:46 AM   #10
anerbe
Major
 
Drives: 2013 S4
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: BH, MI

Posts: 1,244
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicategt View Post
Maintenance Warranty is a complete waste of money! Lets break this down.

For $3,000 and 50,000 miles you get:

3 Oil Changes
2 Air Filters
2 Wiper Blades
Brake Fluid Flush
Brake Pads
And a few minor things

Now, lets brake it down on what it will cost you:
3 Oil Changes ($69 if DIY) - $207
2 Cabin Air Filters - $100
2 Wiper Blades ($48 a set) - $96
Brake Fluid Flush - $200-300
Brake Pads - $300 for pads + $100 if you can't DIY

= $1200 ~ seems like a win win for the dealer to me!
Don't forget the following:
4 Brake rotors / Sensors - $800 + $200 labor
It's very well possible to have pads/rotors wear out again during the timeframe if the 1st set was replaced early in the extended maintenance timeframe.

Spark Plug Change - $120 + $30 tool

I still see it as a potential wash...unless you have a manual.

Clutch - ~$1,200

Also, I think maintenance pricing runs closer to roughly $2000-2500.

At the end of the day, I find the BMW's I own that will be driven enthusiastically with a manual transmission is worth the maintenance cost. Both my previous M3 and current 335 had/have it. For my previous X5 V8 auto, I declined.
anerbe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-22-2011, 07:13 PM   #11
hwa786
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 08 BMW 328xi
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Metro Detroit

Posts: 482
iTrader: (0)

thanks for all the input guys!
__________________
2008 BMW 328xi Sedan - Montego Blue Metallic

hwa786 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-23-2011, 10:07 AM   #12
finickyEater
New Member
 
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe - Montego Blue
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: United States

Posts: 18
iTrader: (0)

It's insurance, they know the numbers and chances of failure. They wouldn't offer it unless chances are they'll come out on top...which puts you on bottom! I'm not saying buying a warranty purchase is a bad thing since some people sleep better having them (which is worth something).

And btw, there is A LOT of margin built into extended warranties.
finickyEater is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-23-2011, 09:31 PM   #13
hwa786
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 08 BMW 328xi
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Metro Detroit

Posts: 482
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by finickyEater View Post
It's insurance, they know the numbers and chances of failure. They wouldn't offer it unless chances are they'll come out on top...which puts you on bottom! I'm not saying buying a warranty purchase is a bad thing since some people sleep better having them (which is worth something).

And btw, there is A LOT of margin built into extended warranties.
what do you mean by a lot of margin
__________________
2008 BMW 328xi Sedan - Montego Blue Metallic

hwa786 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-25-2011, 08:47 AM   #14
finickyEater
New Member
 
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe - Montego Blue
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: United States

Posts: 18
iTrader: (0)

There's a lot of profit built into extended warranties. You can usually negotiate a lower price...or so I've heard.
finickyEater is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:56 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST