E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > H&R Lowering Springs and Bilstein B4 Shocks on a Wagon

05-18-2016, 09:45 AM   #1
HerrGruyere
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Wagon

H&R Lowering Springs and Bilstein B4 Shocks on a Wagon

Hi!

I was bored at work and snooping in the DIY section. I stumbled upon the DIY for replacing shocks and springs. Looks simple. So then I started wondering how much it would cost, and that's when the bug bit me.

I am looking for an opinion. I have a 2007 328xi wagon. I don't think these came with a sports package; however, I do have a sport steering wheel and sport seats. Anyway, would the H&R lowering springs and the Bilstein B4s be an okay combination? I have about 137,xxx miles on the car, and it's about time for a suspension refresh. I like the look of lowering springs, and I think updated springs and shocks would allow for better handling.

My only issue is I bought the car since my wife was complaining my old car, a 330i ZHP, was too rough. Would the combination above give a terrible ride? I also want to know if I must buy sport shocks with the lowering springs, or if the B4s would be suitable here. I'm not looking to track or anything, but I of course would not mind better handling.

Any thoughts? Any insight is much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 10:04 AM   #2
Vut
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: E91 LCI 328 xi

I just did research on this, so here's the basics on Bilstein Struts/Shocks.

B4 - OEM style
B6 - Upgrade over OEM (used with OEM springs, reduces crash over bumps and reduces body roll/motions)
B8 - To be used with lowering springs
B12 Kit - Uses B8 Shocks with lowering springs

*I have an Wagon and went with OEM springs with B6. Raises the car about half and inch but makes the ride a lot better. In terms of body roll/motions, it makes you think you lowered it from OEM shocks/struts.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 10:20 AM   #3
HerrGruyere
Enlisted Member
Rep

The reduction in crash over bumps with the B6 would be nice since Baltimore roads blow, but I don't want the raise in ride height. I would like to go lower while maintaining the current ride stiffness.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 01:02 PM   #4
chris@strutmonkey
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

The H&R Sport springs are low enough that you really should have upgraded shocks. The B4s are not great choice esp since they only sell the non-sport version for your car. Highly recommend the Bilstein B8 or Koni Sports. If you need a complete, ready-to-install kit built for you, please let me know.
Best regards, Chris
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 01:09 PM   #5
HerrGruyere
Enlisted Member
Rep

Damn. I figured I'd need the extra good shocks. I asked because with the setup I was thinking of, I'd only be spending $600. I knew it was too good to be true!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 02:22 PM   #6
chris@strutmonkey
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

At 137K miles, you are going to need to replace most of the rubber suspension parts, the bumpstops, and the strut mounts. I guess the good news is that you got more miles out of your stock suspension than most. I replaced all of mine at 82K miles. It was such a pain so I started strutmonkey.com to make it easier for others.
v/r, Chris
Appreciate 0