E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Stripped threading on Wheels

02-20-2015, 02:05 PM   #1
Mke90
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Silver

Garage List
Stripped threading on Wheels

Hey guys, so the other day as I was lifting my car, the jack failed and I learned my lesson about always having a backup jack dont worry, but when the jack failed there was still one bolt in the rim still connected to the car and it got stripped, so I decided to buy a new lug nut bolt. As I put the new bolt in, it was really rough and wouldn't go through all the way unless I would apply pressure, so I stopped and just kept it out, and when I took it out, the new bolt was stripped as well. Im sure the theading inside got messed up and thats why. One of my friends said that I can use this stuff that I can buy at a store to straighten the threading inside or fix it? Im not really sure what to do, so Im driving around with only 4/5 bolts in the front driver wheel. Also, I was wondering what the part is that contains the threading. Thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 04:32 PM   #2
chandleerr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

probably be easier just to take it to a tire shop and have them do it. shouldn't cost much at all. easy stuff for them.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 09:04 PM   #3
CALWATERBOY
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

You need a Tap, same thread as bolt, avail at Sears, etc., to clean up that damaged female thread.

Start tap from inside where thread is still undamaged - that should straighten it out so new lug will go right in.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 03:24 PM   #4
Mke90
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Silver

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post

You need a Tap, same thread as bolt, avail at Sears, etc., to clean up that damaged female thread.

Start tap from inside where thread is still undamaged - that should straighten it out so new lug will go right in.
What do you mean by start it from the back? Can't I only go through the opening from the front? The female threading behind the rotor is messed up not the bolt itself.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 09:38 AM   #5
kq328xi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM e92 328xi, Flamenco Red X3

Garage List
2008 e92 328xi  [0.00]
I did this by accident 4 years ago and had the exact same damage to the first two threads of the lug bolt.

I used a tap set from Autozone to straighten the threads out. The two keys to do this correctly is to 1) use a little oil as a lubricant to strart and 2) start from the wheel side of the hub and straighten progressively.

I started with a 1/4th turn (to straighten the first thread), then 1/2, then 1 turn and so-on. It took me over an hour but the fix was 4 years ago with 5 tire changes since.

Good luck!

2008 328xi e92/Black Sapphire Metallic/Saddle Brown/18" 220M Reps w 225/255 Falken 452's
Next: Sways and springs
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 03:54 PM   #6
MrN1ceGuy
Rep
Drives: SGM E90 330i Sports

Exact same thing happened to me when I first got my E90 late last year. I avoid the potential fail and pay a shop $80 to have it fix. Like the others have said, it could be a simple retap, go slow and take your time. If you screw up, you will have to replace the hub, big money there.

I ended up getting wheel studs all around, I don't understand this german obsession with wheel bolts.

Mke90 If you need a fresh bolt, I have a bag of it sitting in my garage.
Appreciate 0