E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > redEYEjedi's BMW E91 Widebody Tribute Build Thread



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-08-2015, 02:52 AM   #1
redEYEjedi
Captain
35
Rep
618
Posts

Drives: E91
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (7)

redEYEjedi's BMW E91 Widebody Tribute Build Thread

Hello everyone,

I know this isn't an M3 project, nor will it have an M3 (S65) engine in the car when I'm done, but I figured it would be great to share my journey through this project since I wasn't able to do so with my last BMW E91 M3 OEM widebody conversion.

First for some background, I was originally inspired back in 2012 by member 63NP to build the 1st US based E91 M3 widebody and commissioned a local shop, LTMW of S. El Monte, to do the work. This car had a full Porsche Grey Black paint job as well as full OEM M3 replacement parts including cutting the original rear quarter panel and grafting the OEM M3 quarter panels. The entire process took a lot longer than I had expected or wanted, plus some additional headaches I won't get into, but the final result was well worth the wait and it was a great learning experience working with the owner Long. I think the car was well received by car enthusiasts and random people on the streets alike. Shortly after working with the famous FLOSSdesign to make a custom wide 3 piece set of BBS LMs, he was sold on the M3 conversion and built a similar E91 OEM M3 widebody painted in Laguna Seca Blue. The Liberty Walk E91 came shortly after that as well. From that point on, widebody E91's were now a thing in the US!

Here is the link to my Bimmerpost front page feature for reference:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=941493

BEFORE:



AFTER:



Unfortunately my car was not as publicly advertised as the other mentioned E91's, but it was great to know I was ahead of the pack so to speak even though my car was already sold by the time those cars hit social media.

Regardless, I was glad I decided to sell the car to another forum member who has now taken the final steps to complete the project aka engine swap! Congrats freddych!

Meanwhile, I was feeling a bit empty and many times regretted the sale. So to fill the void, I decided to start a new project and make it a little more unique than my last. Even by the time I sold my conversion in early 2014, there were probably 5 known M3 conversions in the world, and of course more since then, so doing another OEM M3 conversion was very redundant in my eyes.

For me, I take a lot of inspiration from past and present designs, and I'm sure a lot of people would agree that we all mod our cars because we use the cars as a platform to express ourselves. I do also understand that like fashion, certain trends and fads tend to dictate the auto industry but are fleeting, so I wanted to draw inspiration from history and make sure that I try to create something that is a bit more timeless. With the new project, I hope to accomplish this while paying homage to Motorsport racing and create a car I can drive daily.

I would also like to thank Ivan of STRASSESPORT, located in Irwindale, CA, for taking on this project with me. I am very excited to see where this goes! I will update this thread as I get more progress, thanks!

To start, here are the 2 cars being used to build the final product:



DONOR CAR:


__________________

Last edited by redEYEjedi; 06-08-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Appreciate 2
      06-08-2015, 03:03 AM   #2
1edyson
Private First Class
1edyson's Avatar
Philippines
20
Rep
161
Posts

Drives: 2010 335d
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (7)

Oh my. Very nice
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 05:08 AM   #3
Alen E90
Major General
Alen E90's Avatar
United_States
253
Rep
9,277
Posts

Drives: E90 328i TiAg
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SO. CAL-818 (SFV)

iTrader: (6)

Hey bro, I loved your E91 M3 conversion a lot! That car was on another level of sickness!! Excited to see what you have in store this time around!
__________________

TiAg FTW!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 01:17 PM   #4
redEYEjedi
Captain
35
Rep
618
Posts

Drives: E91
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1edyson View Post
Oh my. Very nice
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alen E90 View Post
Hey bro, I loved your E91 M3 conversion a lot! That car was on another level of sickness!! Excited to see what you have in store this time around!
Thanks I did too haha! I still miss that car a lot also, but I'm glad it's with a good owner.

The engine swap is already in progress so it's only a matter of time since body work is considered the "easy" part.

I'll keep you guys updated as this moves along.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 11:23 PM   #5
EzequielR
Major
EzequielR's Avatar
Dominican Republic
73
Rep
1,121
Posts

Drives: E92 08 328xi
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NYC

iTrader: (2)

this is going to be freaking AWESOME! cant wait to see what is in store!

*subbed*
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 11:26 PM   #6
Arktis_Conviction
Major
Arktis_Conviction's Avatar
50
Rep
1,148
Posts

Drives: 330i R8 S55 650i A8L QX60 Tita
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Northern NJ

iTrader: (0)

Can't wait to see progress!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 12:03 AM   #7
redEYEjedi
Captain
35
Rep
618
Posts

Drives: E91
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzequielR View Post
this is going to be freaking AWESOME! cant wait to see what is in store!

*subbed*
I hope so too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktis_Conviction View Post
Can't wait to see progress!!!
Definitely documenting as much as possible! The n54 engine is physically in the wagon already. We just need to sort out the wiring
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 12:35 AM   #8
AllBlackBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
AllBlackBimmer's Avatar
85
Rep
1,915
Posts

Drives: 2008 328i E90
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Central Pennsylvania area

iTrader: (-1)

Amazing.
I saw many pics of your old e91 throughout the years on the forum and whatnot. Awesome car.

I don't understand why people In the U.S. Dont like wagons at all, yet they all love uninspiring crossover pieces of automotive boring junk.

I don't get why hatchbacks and wagons don't get more love. They are such practical and functional cars. Even though no one would buy one, they need to bring back the m3/m5 wagons,

I cannot wait to see your next build, you have great taste and do things the right way.

Keep us posted!
__________________
2008 328i E90 Jet Black:6MT:Premium:Sport:Walnut/Black interior:Xenon:MTEC V3 AEs:19" Beyern Mesh:35% Tint:Blacklines:OEM Front Splitters
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 12:43 AM   #9
mashimarho
BMW Genius
mashimarho's Avatar
United_States
268
Rep
11,035
Posts

Drives: e92 LCI 335i xDrive™
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mill Creek, WA

iTrader: (36)

Garage List
__________________

My Progress: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770326
VMR///ER///BMS///KW///VRSF///ARKYM///DD///CYBA///STOPTECH///BMW Performance ///
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 12:26 PM   #10
redEYEjedi
Captain
35
Rep
618
Posts

Drives: E91
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackBimmer View Post
Amazing.
I saw many pics of your old e91 throughout the years on the forum and whatnot. Awesome car.

I don't understand why people In the U.S. Dont like wagons at all, yet they all love uninspiring crossover pieces of automotive boring junk.

I don't get why hatchbacks and wagons don't get more love. They are such practical and functional cars. Even though no one would buy one, they need to bring back the m3/m5 wagons,

I cannot wait to see your next build, you have great taste and do things the right way.

Keep us posted!
I am not a fan of crossovers since they look like sedans with a hunchback, but even those cars have a market so I don't understand why automakers don't offer us better options Stateside in terms of wagons.

These are definitely very functional cars. I mean I bought my first wagon with the intention of just driving it as my daily, to hold my bike when I go riding, and carry my dog to the dog park. I also used it to transport my Christmas tree! It's such an amazing car.



Thanks for the kind words also. The next one won't be an M3, but hopefully it'll be just as unique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashimarho View Post
__________________
Appreciate 2
      06-09-2015, 12:49 PM   #11
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
VMRWheels's Avatar
608
Rep
21,389
Posts


Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
Awesome, easily one of my favorite cars on the board.
__________________

VMR | Wheels - Mitch A. | p. 714-442-7916 extension 107 | e. Mitch@velocitymotoring.com | ** New Flow-Form V803 **
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 01:01 PM   #12
Alen E90
Major General
Alen E90's Avatar
United_States
253
Rep
9,277
Posts

Drives: E90 328i TiAg
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SO. CAL-818 (SFV)

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redEYEjedi View Post
I am not a fan of crossovers since they look like sedans with a hunchback, but even those cars have a market so I don't understand why automakers don't offer us better options Stateside in terms of wagons.

These are definitely very functional cars. I mean I bought my first wagon with the intention of just driving it as my daily, to hold my bike when I go riding, and carry my dog to the dog park. I also used it to transport my Christmas tree! It's such an amazing car.



Thanks for the kind words also. The next one won't be an M3, but hopefully it'll be just as unique.



Haha I remember this pic. I also agree with you that wags are very functional cars and IMO wagons> sedans in most cases and I have an E90 myself lol!
__________________

TiAg FTW!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 03:07 PM   #13
onlyabloke
That's not gone well...
onlyabloke's Avatar
United_States
45
Rep
410
Posts

Drives: 2010 AW E90 328i
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Central/South Jersey

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Droooooooool

I want that wagon! Can't wait to see this version!
__________________

2010 AW E90 N51 328i //Build List & Thread // Flickr
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 06:58 PM   #14
redEYEjedi
Captain
35
Rep
618
Posts

Drives: E91
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
Awesome, easily one of my favorite cars on the board.
Thanks, that mean's a lot to hear! It's a shame things didn't work out when Donald approached me to work with you guys back when I owned that wagon.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 07:00 PM   #15
redEYEjedi
Captain
35
Rep
618
Posts

Drives: E91
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alen E90 View Post
Haha I remember this pic. I also agree with you that wags are very functional cars and IMO wagons> sedans in most cases and I have an E90 myself lol!
haha yea I was having a little fun with it during the holidays.

Get a wagon!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyabloke View Post
Droooooooool

I want that wagon! Can't wait to see this version!
The wait is killing me too! I should hopefully have more photos up tomorrow when I stop by the shop.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 07:32 PM   #16
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
VMRWheels's Avatar
608
Rep
21,389
Posts


Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by redEYEjedi View Post
Thanks, that mean's a lot to hear! It's a shame things didn't work out when Donald approached me to work with you guys back when I owned that wagon.
We feel the same! We were all excited to be apart of the build. If you ever need anything in the future, feel free to let us know
__________________

VMR | Wheels - Mitch A. | p. 714-442-7916 extension 107 | e. Mitch@velocitymotoring.com | ** New Flow-Form V803 **
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 10:55 PM   #17
Madtown
New Member
1
Rep
16
Posts

Drives: 2010 328i Msport wagon
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Madison,WI

iTrader: (0)

Very excited see how this turns out. E91 FTW!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 01:25 PM   #18
redEYEjedi
Captain
35
Rep
618
Posts

Drives: E91
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
We feel the same! We were all excited to be apart of the build. If you ever need anything in the future, feel free to let us know
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madtown View Post
Very excited see how this turns out. E91 FTW!
You can say that again! E91 FTW!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 06:47 AM   #19
damp21plbe
Private First Class
damp21plbe's Avatar
Poland
3
Rep
130
Posts

Drives: 325i touring
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Meulebeke Belgium

iTrader: (0)

I was also inspired with M3 touring of member 63NP and when I've seen first time pics of yours e91 converted to M3 , there was only one decision - I must do it . My project is on progress and probably at the end of this month full body conversion will be ready . Interior in my e91 is already done. The last step will be engine conversion to have full e91 M3.

Some pics















Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 04:41 PM   #20
redEYEjedi
Captain
35
Rep
618
Posts

Drives: E91
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by damp21plbe View Post
I was also inspired with M3 touring of member 63NP and when I've seen first time pics of yours e91 converted to M3 , there was only one decision - I must do it . My project is on progress and probably at the end of this month full body conversion will be ready . Interior in my e91 is already done. The last step will be engine conversion to have full e91 M3.

Some pics

















WOW!!

So that's how the bumper looks like when it was done. The shop LTMW who did the work on my car didn't provide me with any photos, but I remember the owner told me that he contracted the rear bumper work to another shop because they were having a hard time figuring out how to make it work.

Are you doing the work yourself? What color are you painting it?!!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 04:52 PM   #21
damp21plbe
Private First Class
damp21plbe's Avatar
Poland
3
Rep
130
Posts

Drives: 325i touring
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Meulebeke Belgium

iTrader: (0)

THX for comment

Paintwork make for me a shop. All mounting work I do it myself.
I stay with original colour of my e91, Sparkling Graphite Metallic.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 09:29 PM   #22
NocturnalEVO
Stock
United_States
21
Rep
710
Posts

Drives: 2009 E92 335i
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (1)

subscribed! i love a quality build thread.

good luck OP!
__________________
Najeeb
'09 E92 335i
'06 R6 Anniversary Edition
'06 Evolution IX MR (sold)
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:04 PM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST