E90Post
 


MINHS Auto Care Center
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Police brutality or very cautious policing?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-16-2011, 11:10 PM   #1
ABQ325i
Private First Class
ABQ325i's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
158
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E60 535i + 06 E90 330i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Albuquerque

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 535i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Police brutality or very cautious policing?

http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S....shtml?cat=504

They were fired today, one of the cops lawyer's is on the news right now saying that the officer was distracting the suspect by kicking him multiple times in the head.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 11:23 PM   #2
james426
Private
3
Rep
78
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 323i Sedan
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (1)

The only thing they did wrong was getting caught on video.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 11:44 PM   #3
Spoolin335
Justin Herass
Spoolin335's Avatar
Canada
58
Rep
1,155
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Canada

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [4.50]
Good, they deserved to get fired.

I am surprised they are not charged with assault.
__________________

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 11:32 AM   #4
Joekerr
Second Lieutenant
33
Rep
310
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (0)

Do not care. If he was attempting to steal something from a car, or the car itself, doesn't matter, he deserved a beat down. At least that way he'll get punished a little - can't count on the justice system to do that.

Notice how the suspect is "unable to talk to police without the promise of immunity"? What crap is that - so basically he wants to make certain he won't be charged with theft or he won't speak? Fine, don't speak...why is this a bargaining chip?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 02:09 PM   #5
Bumer
Comrade Vlad
Bumer's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
212
Posts

 
Drives: 1999 M3, 2006 325i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
1999 BMW M3  [4.50]
2006 BMW 325i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Do not care. If he was attempting to steal something from a car, or the car itself, doesn't matter, he deserved a beat down. At least that way he'll get punished a little - can't count on the justice system to do that.
Agree. If all cops would do what these two cops did, may be there was less crime in the States.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james426 View Post
The only thing they did wrong was getting caught on video.
Exactly.

These guys (cops) put their lives on the line every day. They never know which of those scumbags will pull out a gun and shoot them. Yes, the beating on this video might seem little extreme.
But so what? The guy is a thief, a criminal. He had balls to steal something, but he's got no balls to take some beating?

Plus, we don't know what has happened before this footage.
__________________
1999 E36 ///M3 Convertible MT Silver / Silver (99.99% stock)
2006 E90 325i
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 02:12 PM   #6
Sean05
Putcha ang ganda...
Sean05's Avatar
Philippines
89
Rep
5,331
Posts

 
Drives: 08 MR E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles, Brea CA.

iTrader: (9)

Send a message via Yahoo to Sean05
yea kicking them in the head... COME ON... bastard are lucky they only got fired...
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 02:58 PM   #7
Comet
Troll Harder
Comet's Avatar
Lebanon
73
Rep
596
Posts

 
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Montreal, Beirut

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
did he actually attempt to steal anything?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 03:10 PM   #8
Bumer
Comrade Vlad
Bumer's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
212
Posts

 
Drives: 1999 M3, 2006 325i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
1999 BMW M3  [4.50]
2006 BMW 325i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet View Post
did he actually attempt to steal anything?
This is my understanding that he was driving stolen car, then tried to flee.

What exactly happened is unclear, because "media" will concentrate on police beating, because "police brutality with video" will brings ratings higher than "some petty thief beaten by police".
__________________
1999 E36 ///M3 Convertible MT Silver / Silver (99.99% stock)
2006 E90 325i
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 10:52 PM   #9
ABQ325i
Private First Class
ABQ325i's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
158
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E60 535i + 06 E90 330i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Albuquerque

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 535i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
He was arrested that night and subsequently charged for auto theft, receiving a stolen firearm, being a felon in possession of a firearm and resisting arrest.

The firearm was recovered from the truck he was driving and was not on his person during the video.

The guy is a scumbag, one local news channel reported him being affiliated to a white supremacist group and repeat offender.

I think what pushed things over the edge was the celebratory belly bump after and the city attorney cropping the video to hide it when they originally released it to the media.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 11:38 PM   #10
WillS
Enlisted Member
1
Rep
39
Posts

 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: AR

iTrader: (0)

Dude's a thug. Cops are thugs. Thug lyfe
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 12:59 AM   #11
Bumer
Comrade Vlad
Bumer's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
212
Posts

 
Drives: 1999 M3, 2006 325i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
1999 BMW M3  [4.50]
2006 BMW 325i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ325i View Post
He was arrested that night and subsequently charged for auto theft, receiving a stolen firearm, being a felon in possession of a firearm and resisting arrest.

The firearm was recovered from the truck he was driving and was not on his person during the video.

The guy is a scumbag, one local news channel reported him being affiliated to a white supremacist group and repeat offender.

I think what pushed things over the edge was the celebratory belly bump after and the city attorney cropping the video to hide it when they originally released it to the media.
What can I say... Good job officers!
__________________
1999 E36 ///M3 Convertible MT Silver / Silver (99.99% stock)
2006 E90 325i
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 03:40 PM   #12
SpmnE9zero
DENY THE WORLD THAT SURROUNDS YOU
SpmnE9zero's Avatar
United_States
376
Rep
35,576
Posts

 
Drives: JB 33ZERO
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: City of Champions

iTrader: (14)

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Now that they are no longer officers, I bet dude gets his buddies together after he gets out of jail (which will be tomorrow after he files charges against the pd) and pays them both a visit!
__________________
Eurocharged V5 | ROW's / CC Delete | K&N's | H&R Springs | Single Fin G.B. Grill | Mode Carbon Diffuser | JBSpeed CF Spoiler |
Arkym Style CF Splitter | CF Mirror Caps | 5% Tints | 12mm Spacers |
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 05:34 PM   #13
ABQ325i
Private First Class
ABQ325i's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
158
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E60 535i + 06 E90 330i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Albuquerque

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 535i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
I can't see them dropping the felony firearm charges.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 12:54 PM   #14
etc335i
Trainee
El Salvador
10
Rep
388
Posts

 
Drives: BUS PASS
Join Date: May 2011
Location: El Salvador

iTrader: (0)

The PD is whack. How are they going to fire them that quick with out putting them on leave until the investigation is over. They're has been worse beating and officers just get time off. Way to back up your own.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 01:08 PM   #15
immiketoo
Colonel
immiketoo's Avatar
71
Rep
2,873
Posts

 
Drives: Smoothly
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (0)

There are several components here that are of interest. I did NOT research this, so I don't know the dates involved between the incident or the firing, but generally there is a long, involved process before an officer is fired. The force does appear to be excessive from the short clip since the the other officer already had him on the ground. I can't see the hands of the offender at first, and there could have been a weapons threat, but any force used must stop once the arrest is made.

I'll be interested to see what happens with this case in the future.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 01:21 PM   #16
chinoxs203
Major
chinoxs203's Avatar
United_States
29
Rep
1,353
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E92 335xi AW
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CT

iTrader: (7)

stole car, ran, resisted arrest while trying to be cuffed - what do you want from the PD..


i see one officer trying to cuff while the other attempts to make dude put his hands behind his back.
__________________

FOR SALE:
Dropbox - please
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 01:49 PM   #17
ABQ325i
Private First Class
ABQ325i's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
158
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E60 535i + 06 E90 330i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Albuquerque

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 535i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
The incident was in February and they were fired nine months later in November.

I think the reason the local media made such a fuss over this is because the city attorney edited the original video to cover up the celebrations before releasing it to the local media. The reason they did that was because of the PR nightmare the city police are having at the moment, high number of officer involved shootings, officer posting to facebook that his occupation is "human waste disposal" after shooting and killing someone, an officer trying to bribe someone on camera for sex in lieu of paying fines, an officer using their uniform for haloween costume and posting photo's on facebook and then this, not good PR at all.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 01:57 PM   #18
immiketoo
Colonel
immiketoo's Avatar
71
Rep
2,873
Posts

 
Drives: Smoothly
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (0)

If there is history of corruption, they are fighting a losing battle, no matter what.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 02:05 PM   #19
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
NYCGP's Avatar
55
Rep
1,578
Posts

 
Drives: Bandwagon
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Jungle

iTrader: (0)

NO offense ABQ... but something tells me the bar isn't set all that high for law enforcement in New Mexico...
__________________
"It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you are not."
-André Gide
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 02:14 PM   #20
ABQ325i
Private First Class
ABQ325i's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
158
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E60 535i + 06 E90 330i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Albuquerque

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 535i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGP View Post
NO offense ABQ... but something tells me the bar isn't set all that high for law enforcement in New Mexico...
None taken. You are right, they pay very little and until recently would hire almost anyone who applied. The old adage, you get what you pay for really rings true.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 03:44 PM   #21
1speedbike
Colonel
1speedbike's Avatar
80
Rep
2,934
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NJ, NYC, Baltimore

iTrader: (15)

I don't care that the guy beat up is a criminal, police doing this to anybody is criminal. The guy that stole the car will repay his debt to society through the justice system, end up going to jail, getting butt-raped etc (unless the publicity from this beating gets him a lighter sentence). That is how he will be punished.

The officers are sworn to "serve and protect". They are given powers and rights which are above and beyond those of regular citizens, and along with those powers they are given a strict set of guidelines which are in place to prevent the abuse of those powers. This is a situation in which excessive force was used. The officers thought they could supersede the courts, judges, and the laws already in place and dish out retributive justice of their own, without regard to the legal system. It is not their job to personally deliver punishments.

This also goes along with "all subjects innocent until proven guilty in a court of law". Obviously this guy is guilty, but it is not the place of the officers to punish this guy. There is a reason for all these rules and courts, and that is because it works most of the time in most of the cases.

The system isn't perfect, but the day officers are allowed to "bend the rules" because "the guy's a criminal and he deserved it" or because they "thought it was fair" or any similar excuse is the day that we all lose. It always starts with a slight bending of the rules before shit just eventually gets plain old ugly.
__________________

Year 1 of the 1
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 04:25 PM   #22
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
NYCGP's Avatar
55
Rep
1,578
Posts

 
Drives: Bandwagon
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Jungle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
I don't care that the guy beat up is a criminal, police doing this to anybody is criminal. The guy that stole the car will repay his debt to society through the justice system, end up going to jail, getting butt-raped etc (unless the publicity from this beating gets him a lighter sentence). That is how he will be punished.

The officers are sworn to "serve and protect". They are given powers and rights which are above and beyond those of regular citizens, and along with those powers they are given a strict set of guidelines which are in place to prevent the abuse of those powers. This is a situation in which excessive force was used. The officers thought they could supersede the courts, judges, and the laws already in place and dish out retributive justice of their own, without regard to the legal system. It is not their job to personally deliver punishments.

This also goes along with "all subjects innocent until proven guilty in a court of law". Obviously this guy is guilty, but it is not the place of the officers to punish this guy. There is a reason for all these rules and courts, and that is because it works most of the time in most of the cases.

The system isn't perfect, but the day officers are allowed to "bend the rules" because "the guy's a criminal and he deserved it" or because they "thought it was fair" or any similar excuse is the day that we all lose. It always starts with a slight bending of the rules before shit just eventually gets plain old ugly.
So wait... Guy gets sexually assaulted behind bars and you are ok with that? That is justice? How is that any different than these cops beating him up... It's all vigilante justice. Karma if you will...

I agree that cops should arrest him and lock him up. But people are supposedly sent to jail for rehabilitation and for the protection of the general public. Not to lose their anal virginity for their sins.
__________________
"It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you are not."
-André Gide
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:30 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST