E90Post

MINHS Auto Care Center

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Front cv axle help

07-23-2014, 08:34 AM   #1
albanian335
Private

Drives: Bmw 335xi coupe

Garage List
2008 Bmw 335xi  [0.00]
So my boot ripped on my axle and i went to a couple shops and they wont touch it , they only want to replace the whole axle . One place told me theyd do it for 320 plus tax so that means the axle is 200 dollars but its aftermarket and its called short track i looked it up and there was nothing .. Bmw wants 1200 and another shop wants 700 and there using a remanufactured part .. What should i do guys should i go aftermarket or not ? It does come with a one year warranty but i dont care about that i dont want to lose handling and not feel like im driving a bmw but i dont have that money at the moment .. What do you guys think?
Attached Images

albanian335 is offline   United_States
      07-24-2014, 10:59 AM   #2
bhmax16
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 328xi E92

The axle has zero effect on your handling and in no way will an aftermarket one make your BMW feel less BMW-like. However, be forewarned that I've seen some aftermarket axles cause issues on some European cars (primarily Audi/VW) where they are manufactured a bit too short which resulted in the CV joint separating. I have not seen this issue on any aftermarket axles for BMWs, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

However, I suggest biting the bullet and just replacing the axle. I replaced a boot separately once, and it was so much more of a pain in the ass than simply replacing the axle altogether. Also, it's an easy job where you can easily replace yourself if you don't want to pay a shop (you'll just have to pay for an alignment after).
      07-25-2014, 09:05 PM   #3
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers

Drives: 2009 e90 2011 f10

any indy shop should be able to replace the boot only for like $150. happened to my lowered e46xi all the time. main issue is making sure there is no dirt and grime in there as it will cause the axle to fail. that may be why most want to replace with a new or reman'd axle.

2009 MBM 328| ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET30/25
2011 Jet Black 535i xdrive | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square
wdeerfield is offline   United_States
      Yesterday, 01:20 PM   #4
hassmaschine

Drives: 2006 330i 6sp w/ sport package

I would replace the boot. most of the aftermarket axles are going to be of lesser quality than stock. if you can DIY the boot only costs about $50.. but it's not a very fun job.