E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > do you run all season tires in your Xi?

10-12-2014, 08:00 PM   #1
markus037
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: Alpine White 2010 328Xi

do you run all season tires in your Xi?

Really getting tired of the stock conti runflats. vibrate like hell and the grip in the wet SUCKS. i was wondering if anyone just uses all seasons. they will need to be good in snow too, i know its a tall order but im looking for some input.
      10-12-2014, 08:11 PM   #2
X_Drive
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: E91

For all weather and good in the snow? Nokian WRG3. Pricey but one of the best all around tire for all weather driving.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 08:14 PM   #3
jeff2priorier
Rep

Drives: 328XI

I live in toronto so lots of snow and ice. I purposely bought AWD so I would not have to change tires. I use all weather(versus all season) cooper S4. Used through 2 winters already and they work great. It all depends on how you drive.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 10:33 PM   #4
thegrinchboy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: '11 E90 N55 xDrive 6MT MSport

Continental DWS works well for all seasons. I do still have dedicated snows though, even with xDrive, to get up to the mountains for skiing.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 12:33 AM   #5
SaviorXi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2009 335i xDrive coupe

Garage List
First off nothing is better than dedicated summer and winter setups. But due to cost and convenience most opt for the average all performer which is the all season tire. I use Conti DWS from December to March on my M6 reps. I have literally driven in such deep snow that my car was pushing snow like a snow plow. They are a good all around tire that is a master of none. Tread life is good and so is road noise. Sidewall is soft, ride is comfortable and steering response is what should be expected from a decent snow performing all season. (mushy and muted responsiveness) From March to November I use Michelin Pilot Super Sports and they are amazing summer tires. I am intrigued with the Michelin A/S3 all season since it appears to have similar design and handling characteristics of the summer only super sport but with the added benefit of all season temperature flexibility and improved tread wear. I imagine that snow performance would be a step down from the DWS's but the handling improvement, steering response, and not having to change wheels twice a year might be a fair trade off. We shall see. Let us know what you finally decide to get.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 12:33 AM   #6
Julian2485
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: Black lci e90 335 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by X_Drive
For all weather and good in the snow? Nokian WRG3. Pricey but one of the best all around tire for all weather driving.
I've heard good things about that brand tire where can I purchase them from and how is the thread life on them ?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 05:56 PM   #7
theduker456
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2009 335i Xdrive

I have xDrive and I use Michelin A/S 3's and I had no problems in our horrible winter last year (suburbs of Philly). They grip great and the treadwear rating for all seasons tends to be about twice as long as summer tires.

The first time you hit a pot hole in non-runflats and your teeth don't chatter you will wonder why you did not make the move sooner.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 06:31 PM   #8
mmurray
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: E90 330xi

Definitely recommend picking up a dedicated winter set - especially in our area. I have a cheap set of Motegis with General Altimax's on them and I love it! Great tire, makes snow driving so much fun. It also means you can put sticky summer stuff on your stock set which is another plus.
      10-13-2014, 07:25 PM   #9
X_Drive
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian2485 View Post
I've heard good things about that brand tire where can I purchase them from and how is the thread life on them ?
You can check out the Nokian site and see if there is a dealer in your area. As for tread life. I had a 92 Pathfinder with Nokian all-seasons installed about 7 years ago. I gave the truck to my niece about 5 years ago and the tires are still great. Lots of useable tread left. I don't think she's much of a lead foot however has been driven basically everyday. Come to think of it, the tires are outlasting the truck haha.

As for the other posts, I agree with everything everyone has inputted.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 07:29 PM   #10
bomiheko
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2009 BMW 335xi

nokian are the only all weather tires I recommend. Otherwise, dedicated set of winters and summers are the best. But I understand the reasons such as lack of space and cost.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 07:53 PM   #11
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by X_Drive View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian2485 View Post
If you have Les Schwab tire shops, they carry Nokian. Not sure where else.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 10:26 AM   #12
zipstic
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 e92 335xi

Garage List
I had Nokian WR's on my old Audi. Discount Tire was able to order them for me at a good price.

Tread wear was great on them. I had them on my Audi for 7 winters and they still had a lot of tread left when I sold the car.
      10-14-2014, 11:21 AM   #13
Needbmwpartzz
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

AS should be ok I went the entire winter up here in good ol Canada with almost a half foot of snow on the ground with no problem.
But if you want superior traction/braking/turning snow tires will do that job like no AS can match.
But either way as long as you have x-drive and some meat on the AS any competent driver should have no problem getting around.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 02:26 PM   #14
Art_Vandelay
Rep

Drives: currently looking

Personally, living in Minneapolis, I'm a big advocate of having a dedicated summer and winter tires to all-seasons. I think most drivers (albeit probably less so on this forum) underestimate the impact that tires have on the performance of their car. If you live in an area that gets a good deal of snow, a separate set of tires allows you to maximize performance for the conditions. I should add that winter tires vs. all seasons makes a bigger difference than AWD vs. RWD. I'd much rather have winter tires and RWD in heavy snow than AWD with all-seasons, but AWD + winter tires means you'll be able to deal with almost any winter weather you might run into.

If you'll be owning the car for long enough to go through two or more sets of tires, then it really isn't much more expensive (you'll need another set of wheels, but that doesn't have to be too expensive). A set of winter + set of summer, each on the car for part of the year, will last about as long as two sets of all seasons run year round, but will outperform the all seasons.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 09:16 PM   #15
winn3r
Rep

Drives: 335i x-drive

I have all season general tires on the m-sport 18's, good in the rain and snow. The price for them are cheaper then continentals and many other tires but they are just as good as the others. I live in New York and last years snow I was able to drive around fine with these tires on the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 12:29 PM   #16
ccraig13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: '07 E92 328xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduker456
I have xDrive and I use Michelin A/S 3's and I had no problems in our horrible winter last year (suburbs of Philly). They grip great and the treadwear rating for all seasons tends to be about twice as long as summer tires.

The first time you hit a pot hole in non-runflats and your teeth don't chatter you will wonder why you did not make the move sooner.
I'm really loving my A/S 3's I put on in April. I have dedicated Michelin X-ice for the winter though. I hate the thought of switching back to the winters. Handling is subpar (as expected) but I must say, when the snow hits the ground it's like driving on dry pavement. It also means switching back to stocks rims away from my Apex
      10-18-2014, 05:42 PM   #17
waldo2014
Rep

Drives: E92-335iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art_Vandelay View Post

If you'll be owning the car for long enough to go through two or more sets of tires, then it really isn't much more expensive (you'll need another set of wheels, but that doesn't have to be too expensive). A set of winter + set of summer, each on the car for part of the year, will last about as long as two sets of all seasons run year round, but will outperform the all seasons.
Amen to that!

Tires are the only link between your car and the ground, I live in the Alps and regularly drive higher speeds in Germany, it would never come to my mind to have the same tire in winter and in summer. If you just want to go from A to B without much speed (and enjoyment) all seasons might be an option, but then why buy such a great car, and miss all the enjoyment on a dry road with good summer tires?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 01:09 PM   #18
dsjr2006
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: '07 e90 335xi

Garage List
After having dedicated Winter Tires last winter I'll never run All-Seasons again.
      10-25-2014, 02:45 PM   #19
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2009 e90 2011 f10

i run all season conti procontacts since i got tired of summer tires wearing out too fast. keep em balanced and they are good to go. in the winter, i have a set of wheels with dedicated snows.

2009 MBM 328| ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET30/25
2011 Jet Black 535i xdrive | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 03:33 PM   #20
AdamN52
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 328xi (E90)

I ran all seasons on my XI last year and they were miles better than the stock RFTs... but I bought a dedicated set of winter tires/rims this year because AWD does not help you stop or steer in snow/cold. AWD will get you moving, but the dangerous part of winter is stopping/steering.

My advice would be to invest in separate summer/winter setups that don't have to compromise. And each set will last twice as long, so you're not losing anything in the long term.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 03:44 PM   #21
catcher22
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

I used to. I'm on a dedicated summer/winter set now.

All seasons are good with the XI. Wear is pretty quick, but it'll get you around as long as clearance isn't an issue.

I had All-Seasons for the past 6 years or so without any issues.

All that said..

I WISH I WENT TO DEDICATED SETS EARLIER. It's trading year-long medicrioty (all seasons) for year-long superiority (dedicated sets), to the tune of a few hundred dollars.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 03:58 PM   #22
Dan Villa
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: E90 335i xdrive M Sport

Michelin PS AS3 couldn't be happier with them Haven't seen snow yet but reviews were great. I'm pretty confident they will tear right through all that white stuff.
Appreciate 0