Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

TireRack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Newbie Question 2007 335

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

05-14-2007, 04:29 PM   #1
bigbootch
Rep

Drives: 2007 335 Coupe

Newbie Question 2007 335

Hi all, I have some newbie questions that I would love some help with. I love cars and I love reading car magazines etc., but I have zero hands-on experience and don't really know my way around cars...

Anyway, I have a 2007 335 coupe with the sport package. (18" wheels with bridgestone potenza run-flats.) In a heart-breaking incident, valet parking totally jacked my two wheels on the right side - it looks like he drove it against the curb for a mile or something. The damage is cosmetic, the car is still drivable and the tires are still ok - and, the two wheels on the left side are unharmed. Long story short, with compensation from the valet company, I am now looking to buy a set of new wheels and new tires (4 each). If possible, I would like to get 18" wheels that are slightly wider (maybe 18x8.5 front and 18x9.0 rear, something like that)?

Here are my questions:

1. Will this void any sort of warranty I have with BMW? I would guess not, but you never know...

2. Will this interfere with DSC or anything like that? Or do I need to get the same exact size as the original wheel in order for this to be OK?

3. Is there any recommended best-practices for the size of wheels or type of tires? i.e. is 18x8.5 and 18x9.0 a good idea, or am I really better off doing something else?

4. How do I get it installed? Is this something that anybody can do, or do I need to take it to the dealership to get it done right?

Any other advice you could give a newbie in his first aftermarket wheel-and-tire-upgrade experience would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 05:06 PM   #2
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Drives: Debadged

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbootch View Post
1. Will this void any sort of warranty I have with BMW? I would guess not, but you never know...
No.

Quote:
2. Will this interfere with DSC or anything like that? Or do I need to get the same exact size as the original wheel in order for this to be OK?
You may have to get your TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) valve thingy placed in your new wheels so your car will not think you have a flat. Canadian E90s do not have TPMS so I have not paid attention to this. You can search for "TPMS".

Any reputable tire shop should be able to install TPMS properly when you purchase your new set of wheels and tires.

Quote:
3. Is there any recommended best-practices for the size of wheels or type of tires? i.e. is 18x8.5 and 18x9.0 a good idea, or am I really better off doing something else?
19" x 8.5 (for the front) and 19" x 9.5 (for the rears) is popular around here. You could stick with 18" which is probably more economical (as rims and tires are generally cheaper in small sizes). But 19" is most popular around here because it looks the best. You will sacrifice marginal ride comfort with bigger tires/lower profile tires of course.

Quote:
4. How do I get it installed? Is this something that anybody can do, or do I need to take it to the dealership to get it done right?
A reputable tire shop can probably sell you the tires/rims and install them for you. Alternatively you can order online from one of the sponsored vendors (ie. such as TireRack, TheModCity, JLevi SW, **********s, etc) and get a local tire shop to install them on your car.

Your dealership can do it as well, but they tend to overcharge. Try not to order wheels/tires from your dealer either as they will charge you and an arm and a leg.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2007, 03:23 PM   #3
naomi10
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i coupe

more questions

1. Would 19 x 8.5 (front) & 19 x 9.5 (rear) work?

HOwever, I was thinking about getting 20s for my 335i coupe...what is widest i can go without rubbing?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2007, 08:38 AM   #4
Kev
Resident Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: VW bug with a misplaced engine

Garage List
Tirerack is your friend. Give Gary a call and he'll hook you up.

They have a warehouse in Indiana and if everything is in stock, you'll get your new wheels in 2-3 days and they have a huge installer network too.

For your stock rims, get them repaired at Wheels America in Arlington Heights and use them as your winter combo.
      06-10-2007, 06:43 PM   #5
doc1911
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: Sold my 335i and looking

What is a good offset with 19''x8.5 front and 19''x9.5 rear?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2007, 10:07 PM   #6
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
No_Country
Rep

Drives: 2010 e70 X5 35d

Wow, a valet company puts curb rash on two wheels, and they are settling with enough cash to buy 4 new wheels and tires?? Where is this valet, I want to bring them my car too!
Appreciate 0