E90Post
 


VIBE Motorsports
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Shifting N to D



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-08-2012, 03:29 AM   #1
itrswong
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: E90 325i White
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 38
iTrader: (0)

Shifting N to D

I am new to E90. I found it strange that every time I shift gear from N to D, I need to press the break when the car is moving. Is it possible to by pass? It is very annoying when I left the car roll slowly (with N) infront of the RED light. Then all the sudden the light turns GREEN and I need to press the break to stop the car & change to D again. It scares people behind me. Anyone?
itrswong is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 04:05 AM   #2
n54gte
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 07 335i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: CA

Posts: 359
iTrader: (0)

dont put it into n?
n54gte is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 04:14 AM   #3
Crazylegs
Lieutenant
 
Crazylegs's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 Black on Red 335I
Join Date: May 2011
Location: South Florida

Posts: 427
iTrader: (1)

He means the neutral on auto tranny.... just leave it in drive why are you switching it to neutral at a red light anyways just leave foot on Brake.
__________________
2008 Bsm E92 335i - FBO -E85--------Sold

2014 BSM 335i Msport - Stock
Crazylegs is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 04:26 AM   #4
n54gte
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 07 335i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: CA

Posts: 359
iTrader: (0)

i know. why put it into neutral though? if it were an manual i can understand but in an auto why not just keep your foot on the brake while in D?
n54gte is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 04:30 AM   #5
Amini77
Brigadier General
 
Amini77's Avatar
 
Drives: SGM E90 330xi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tarzana, CA

Posts: 4,551
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 330XI  [3.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazylegs View Post
He means the neutral on auto tranny.... just leave it in drive why are you switching it to neutral at a red light anyways just leave foot on Brake.
My guess maybe if he wanted to rev it at the light lol I admit if I'm under a freeway and there aren't too many cars too make myself look like a douche I have to throw it in N and rev it.

But too answer your question I think if the revs are too in high while in N it won't let you switch back into D maybe so you won't ruin your transmission. Thats my guess because when I'm at a stand still, I never have to press on the brakes to put it in drive but while moving I have to. Probably a safety thing.
Amini77 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 05:41 AM   #6
dd243372
Second Lieutenant
 
dd243372's Avatar
 
Drives: Jet Black E90 328i LCI
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bronx, NY

Posts: 249
iTrader: (0)

I do this also (neutral at a light and have to hit the brake to go back into drive)...and find it annoying as well...I've driven my bosses Genesis and it lets you switch without hitting the brake.
__________________
______________________________
dd243372 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 06:46 AM   #7
gpb
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335i Cabrio
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Atlanta

Posts: 393
iTrader: (0)

I'm not understanding something... if you're at a stop light, what are you (a) feeling the need to shift an AT to Neutral and (b) sitting there in Neutral without your foot on the brake?

What exactly are you doing and what prompted you to get into the habit of doing this?
gpb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 06:47 AM   #8
ndog14
Banned
 
Drives: E90 328xi 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 1,746
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpb View Post
I'm not understanding something... if you're at a stop light, what are you (a) feeling the need to shift an AT to Neutral and (b) sitting there in Neutral without your foot on the brake?

What exactly are you doing and what prompted you to get into the habit of doing this?
(a) OP wants to pretend to drive a manual

(b) OP has a death wish
ndog14 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 08:14 AM   #9
954Stealth
Colonel
 
954Stealth's Avatar
 
Drives: A Car
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boca Raton, FL

Posts: 2,558
iTrader: (1)

If you're at a red light you should be stopped AND have your foot on the brake ESPECIALLY if you are in neutral. You dont want to roll forwards or backwards. Very few roads are perfectly level so this doesnt happen. So if your foot is already on the brake just switch to d/ds..... or just stay in d/ds since you have to press the brake anyway.

or continue doing what you're doing but be sure to make a thread about the rear bumper damage you'll get when someone rear ends you.
954Stealth is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 08:34 AM   #10
ndog14
Banned
 
Drives: E90 328xi 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 1,746
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
If you're at a red light you should be stopped AND have your foot on the brake ESPECIALLY if you are in neutral. You dont want to roll forwards or backwards. Very few roads are perfectly level so this doesnt happen. So if your foot is already on the brake just switch to d/ds..... or just stay in d/ds since you have to press the brake anyway.

or continue doing what you're doing but be sure to make a thread about the rear bumper damage you'll get when someone rear ends you.
And the damage from being T-boned.
ndog14 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #11
itrswong
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: E90 325i White
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 38
iTrader: (0)

i am free hundreds meters away from red light. thats why i put it in N to let it run to stop slowly. i used be able to do that in lexus is200, but not with bmw.
itrswong is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 09:33 AM   #12
andrew_b
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2007 E93 N54
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lexington, KY

Posts: 167
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrswong View Post
i am free hundreds meters away from red light. thats why i put it in N to let it run to stop slowly. i used be able to do that in lexus is200, but not with bmw.
Why switch to N? Just let it coast with your foot off the accelerator.
__________________

2007 E93 N54
andrew_b is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 09:36 AM   #13
dd243372
Second Lieutenant
 
dd243372's Avatar
 
Drives: Jet Black E90 328i LCI
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bronx, NY

Posts: 249
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
If you're at a red light you should be stopped AND have your foot on the brake ESPECIALLY if you are in neutral. You dont want to roll forwards or backwards. Very few roads are perfectly level so this doesnt happen. So if your foot is already on the brake just switch to d/ds..... or just stay in d/ds since you have to press the brake anyway.

or continue doing what you're doing but be sure to make a thread about the rear bumper damage you'll get when someone rear ends you.
ok, so lets say hypothetically the car is on a perfectly level road and is in neutral and not moving forward nor backwards at a red light...
__________________
______________________________
dd243372 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 09:49 AM   #14
itrswong
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: E90 325i White
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 38
iTrader: (0)

yes. why i need to step on the break when my car is completely stop? i just want to shift D to take off. Also, i notice a second delay to shift D after i step on the break. this is annoying too.
itrswong is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 10:01 AM   #15
Tom K.
Major General
 
Tom K.'s Avatar
 
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland

Posts: 5,370
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrswong View Post
yes. why i need to step on the break when my car is completely stop? i just want to shift D to take off. Also, i notice a second delay to shift D after i step on the break. this is annoying too.
Shifting out of drive when stopping at a light defeats the purpose of the transmission and is unsafe. Remain in D, use your brake and gas pedals as necessary, and you will become a better driver who is in control of his vehicle at all times.

Tom
Tom K. is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #16
ndog14
Banned
 
Drives: E90 328xi 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 1,746
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Shifting out of drive when stopping at a light defeats the purpose of the transmission and is unsafe. Remain in D, use your brake and gas pedals as necessary, and you will become a better driver who is in control of his vehicle at all times.

Tom
+1



Try arguing with a wall than a close-minded dumb person, you'll get better results.
ndog14 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 10:27 AM   #17
edirtaynine
Major General
 
Drives: e92
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SoCal

Posts: 6,093
iTrader: (0)

some of you kids must be 16 and this is your first time driving your own car.
__________________
e90post killed plastidip
Just say no to painted stock wheels

jm3as hooks it up
edirtaynine is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #18
gpb
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335i Cabrio
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Atlanta

Posts: 393
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd243372 View Post
ok, so lets say hypothetically the car is on a perfectly level road and is in neutral and not moving forward nor backwards at a red light...
... and then the person behind you gets rear-ended by an inattentive driver, slams into your vehicle launching you into the path of a loaded dumptruck which T-bones you.

gpb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 10:31 AM   #19
obert
Lieutenant Colonel
 
obert's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E90 N54 335xi
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Seattle Wa

Posts: 1,597
iTrader: (18)

I might get flamed a little for taking my car through a car wash but I am the 3rd owner so, when I do I have to put my car in N to let the car wash track push my car through the wash. And right at the end I put my foot on the brake and into D.

As for the OP its a auto leave it in D while you are driving.
obert is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 10:33 AM   #20
ndog14
Banned
 
Drives: E90 328xi 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 1,746
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by obert View Post
I might get flamed a little for taking my car through a car wash but I am the 3rd owner so, when I do I have to put my car in N to let the car wash track push my car through the wash. And right at the end I put my foot on the brake and into D.

As for the OP its a auto leave it in D while you are driving.
Doing that in the car wash is proper, but don't take your car to a typical car wash. Only go to touchless car washes, or you'll get a bazillion tiny scratches.
ndog14 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 10:35 AM   #21
obert
Lieutenant Colonel
 
obert's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E90 N54 335xi
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Seattle Wa

Posts: 1,597
iTrader: (18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndog14 View Post
Doing that in the car wash is proper, but don't take your car to a typical car wash. Only go to touchless car washes, or you'll get a bazillion tiny scratches.
obert is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 10:50 AM   #22
QUiKSR20
E90 Apprentice
 
QUiKSR20's Avatar
 
Drives: 08' E90 328i 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Tinton Falls, NJ

Posts: 774
iTrader: (10)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to QUiKSR20
Quote:
Originally Posted by itrswong View Post
yes. why i need to step on the break when my car is completely stop? i just want to shift D to take off. Also, i notice a second delay to shift D after i step on the break. this is annoying too.
This thread is killing me WHY ARE YOU TAKING it out of DRIVE at a red light? You own an AUTOMATIC hence AUTOMATIC do nothing and wait for it to turn green .
__________________
-DG:.
08 E90 328i Sport 6MT Audio Build
92 Sentra SE-R SR20DET DET Build Thread
89 E30 325is [sold & missed]
QUiKSR20 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:00 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST