E90Post
 


N54Tuning.com
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > how to clean valves at home



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-24-2011, 05:04 PM   #1
momstmg78
Banned
 
Drives: 335i sedan
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Turkish's house

Posts: 376
iTrader: (0)

how to clean valves at home

1. Have Engine At Running Temp

2. Take Intake And Charge Pipe Off

3. Start Engine

4. Have A Buddy Keep Engine At 1500 Or So Rpm's

5. Take A Can Of Amsoil Powerfoam Cleaner And Spray Entire Contents Into Throttle Body

6. Turn Engine Off And Let Sit For 10 - 15 Minutes

7. While Waiting Put Charge Pipe And Intake Back On

8. After 10 - 15 Minutes, Take Car And Drive The Hell Out Of It For A Couple Of Miles And Blow Alot Of White Smoke.

9. Now You Have A Smoother Running Engine



Hope That Helps
momstmg78 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2011, 05:09 PM   #2
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
 
vasillalov's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago, IL

Posts: 4,123
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 335i E90  [4.00]
Do you have pictures of before and after?


...just asking because the official BMW tech procedure involves removing the intake manifold, rotating the engine by hand to expose intake valves one at a time, heating them up with a heat gun and cleaning them with a small brush (toothbrush) and BMW fuel injector cleaner....
__________________
Equal Opportunity Harasser!
6MT | COBB | AR | AE | Forge DV | HPF | P3 Gauge | Hybrid Intake | O.S.Giken TCD | M3 bits
BMWCCA #447439
vasillalov is offline   Bulgaria
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2011, 05:14 PM   #3
chili36
Sleeper
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: So.Cal

Posts: 406
iTrader: (0)

Yes, pictures of valves before and after with this procedure would be interesting to see.
chili36 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2011, 05:15 PM   #4
momstmg78
Banned
 
Drives: 335i sedan
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Turkish's house

Posts: 376
iTrader: (0)

this is how you can do it without taking manifold off.
momstmg78 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2011, 05:51 PM   #5
Beemw335
Colonel
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: My car is my home

Posts: 2,000
iTrader: (2)

Seafoam ftw
Beemw335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2011, 05:53 PM   #6
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
 
vasillalov's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago, IL

Posts: 4,123
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 335i E90  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemw335 View Post
Seafoam ftw
Sheep! Show me before and after pics of the intake valves! Until then, I still maintain that the smoke you see coming out of the exhaust during SeaFoam application is the seafoam itself being burnt and not the carbon buildup being removed...
__________________
Equal Opportunity Harasser!
6MT | COBB | AR | AE | Forge DV | HPF | P3 Gauge | Hybrid Intake | O.S.Giken TCD | M3 bits
BMWCCA #447439
vasillalov is offline   Bulgaria
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2011, 06:02 PM   #7
Beemw335
Colonel
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: My car is my home

Posts: 2,000
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
Sheep! Show me before and after pics of the intake valves! Until then, I still maintain that the smoke you see coming out of the exhaust during SeaFoam application is the seafoam itself being burnt and not the carbon buildup being removed...
Seafoam helps take off sone carbon deposits, but of course you need to manually scrub kt off to get all of it off.
Seafoam does help get the top layer of it which is pretty good.
Beemw335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2011, 06:05 PM   #8
Tzu
Major
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Toronto

Posts: 1,390
iTrader: (1)

These guys had some complaints about seafoam in higher mileage cars:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=38852
Tzu is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2011, 06:09 PM   #9
mithiral67
That guy
 
mithiral67's Avatar
 
Drives: mineral white 335is coupe
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chicago Burbs

Posts: 5,557
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
Do you have pictures of before and after?


...just asking because the official BMW tech procedure involves removing the intake manifold, rotating the engine by hand to expose intake valves one at a time, heating them up with a heat gun and cleaning them with a small brush (toothbrush) and BMW fuel injector cleaner....
Which dealer told you they do it this way. The one I asked at said they simply unhook the fuel system, hook the engine up to a machine and run fluids through to clean the engine. When I pointed out that this process would not do any clearning to parts prior the injectors, they told me that that is the best they can do.
mithiral67 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2011, 06:49 PM   #10
momstmg78
Banned
 
Drives: 335i sedan
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Turkish's house

Posts: 376
iTrader: (0)

I'm not a fan of seafoam. I don't believe the hype.
momstmg78 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2011, 06:52 PM   #11
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
 
Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TopGearSolutions.com

Posts: 15,541
iTrader: (30)

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzu View Post
These guys had some complaints about seafoam in higher mileage cars:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=38852
Yea when your car is that age you should leave it alone.... a lot of things are "held together" so to speak cause of sludge/carbon build up ETC

Sometimes seafoam shows you the weakest links of your car, which may be a good or bad thing depending what your end goals are.
Jeff@TopGearSolutions is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2011, 07:06 PM   #12
chili36
Sleeper
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: So.Cal

Posts: 406
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemw335 View Post
Seafoam ftw
How did you apply it? and how do you know it did as advertised?
chili36 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2011, 07:21 PM   #13
momstmg78
Banned
 
Drives: 335i sedan
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Turkish's house

Posts: 376
iTrader: (0)

Seafoam goes through vacuum line and doesn't clean as much of the intake as my method. My way cleans throttle body, manifold, and valves.
momstmg78 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2011, 07:32 PM   #14
chili36
Sleeper
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: So.Cal

Posts: 406
iTrader: (0)

I know how it is applied. I was asking him Beemw335. (aka Beemw)
chili36 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2011, 07:33 PM   #15
cssnms
Brigadier General
 
cssnms's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Murland

Posts: 3,182
iTrader: (4)

I am not suggesting one product is any better than the other, but for those disbelievers you do realise that every gas company adds detergents to fuel in effort help keep the fuel delivery system, intake valves etc clean from carbon desposits to keep emissions down. As a matter of fact in addition to being mandated by the EPA, the EPA has conducted extensive testing of the effectivness of carbon removing detergents. That being said, the requirements the EPA set are a bare minimum requirement and no gasoline company with the exception of say Cheveron w/Techron (as far as I know) elects to exceed the minimum requirement - it's a cost issue.

Carbon is a byproduct of the combustion process, it's naturally occuring. To say there is a not a product available in any concentration that would remove any amount of carbon is a bit nieve and it flies in the face of the results demonstrated under controlled conditions in a labratory, as well as what I have witnessed.
cssnms is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2011, 07:42 PM   #16
mycoupe
Banned
 
Drives: 07 335i coupe 6spd
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: cincinnati, Ohio

Posts: 1,499
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
I am not suggesting one product is any better than the other, but for those disbelievers you do realise that every gas company adds detergents to fuel in effort help keep the fuel delivery system, intake valves etc clean from carbon desposits to keep emissions down. As a matter of fact in addition to being mandated by the EPA, the EPA has conducted extensive testing of the effectivness of carbon removing detergents. That being said, the requirements the EPA set are a bare minimum requirement and no gasoline company with the exception of say Cheveron w/Techron (as far as I know) elects to exceed the minimum requirement - it's a cost issue.

Carbon is a byproduct of the combustion process, it's naturally occuring. To say there is a not a product available in any concentration that would remove any amount of carbon is a bit nieve and it flies in the face of the results demonstrated under controlled conditions in a labratory, as well as what I have witnessed.
EVERYTHING you have said has no merit on DI engines. If your injection system is DI, fuel cleaners don't do shit for anything other than your fuel lines and your injectors.
mycoupe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2011, 07:48 PM   #17
chili36
Sleeper
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: So.Cal

Posts: 406
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycoupe View Post
EVERYTHING you have said has no merit on DI engines. If your injection system is DI, fuel cleaners don't do shit for anything other than your fuel lines and your injectors.
This^
chili36 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2011, 07:52 PM   #18
chili36
Sleeper
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: So.Cal

Posts: 406
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
Carbon is a byproduct of the combustion process, it's naturally occuring. To say there is a not a product available in any concentration that would remove any amount of carbon is a bit nieve and it flies in the face of the results demonstrated under controlled conditions in a labratory, as well as what I have witnessed.
Can you be more detailed on what exactly you have witnessed?
chili36 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2011, 08:17 PM   #19
cssnms
Brigadier General
 
cssnms's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Murland

Posts: 3,182
iTrader: (4)

Look my point was do not discredit the effectivness of certain detergent additives. They have proven to be effective in a variety of engines both 2 stroke and 4 stroke.
cssnms is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2011, 08:23 PM   #20
cssnms
Brigadier General
 
cssnms's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Murland

Posts: 3,182
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chili36 View Post
Can you be more detailed on what exactly you have witnessed?
Something tells me regardless of what I tell you, you still won't believe me. Let's just say I have torn down and rebuilt both 2 and 4 stroke engines, some were maintaned and others were not. It was readily apparent when someone wasn't using a decarb product.
cssnms is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2011, 08:49 PM   #21
chili36
Sleeper
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: So.Cal

Posts: 406
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
Something tells me regardless of what I tell you, you still won't believe me. Let's just say I have torn down and rebuilt both 2 and 4 stroke engines, some were maintaned and others were not. It was readily apparent when someone wasn't using a decarb product.
Your right we won't unless you can prove it.
chili36 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2011, 09:12 PM   #22
cssnms
Brigadier General
 
cssnms's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Murland

Posts: 3,182
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chili36 View Post
Your right we won't unless you can prove it.
I have no interest in proving anything to anyone esp to some know it all kid. I have no vested interest in these products, I only speak from personal experience. Try lifting a wrench sometime, tearing down and working on an engine, experience I have found is life's best teacher. Otherwise, continue living in that blissful world of yours often referred to as ignorance.
cssnms is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:34 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST